Author Topic: Topre Appreciation Thread!  (Read 125604 times)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #650 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 18:05:59 »
What's the difference between RF87U standard and EK edition, quality wise? I know it's 45g but is there anything else that makes it less in anyway?

AFAIK that is the only difference.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #651 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 18:35:53 »
What's the difference between RF87U standard and EK edition, quality wise? I know it's 45g but is there anything else that makes it less in anyway?

legends are consistent on the EK edition. which, in my opinion, is a pretty big deal.

i've also read that the material of the caps are different between the EK edition and the (white-grey) original versions.
but this might just be black vs white caps, and not necessarily EK caps vs original caps. (the former is my guess.)
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2015, 18:42:35 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #652 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 19:37:04 »

legends are consistent on the EK edition. which, in my opinion, is a pretty big deal.

i've also read that the material of the caps are different between the EK edition and the (white-grey) original versions.
but this might just be black vs white caps, and not necessarily EK caps vs original caps. (the former is my guess.)

Are saying the EK's are consistent opposed to other variants, or was it a typo?

Offline lookitdisnub

« Reply #653 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 21:09:22 »

Red caps lock LED

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #654 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 00:56:45 »
I just bought the MX to Topre Sliders from the JTK groupbuy on CTRLALT. Does anyone have a guide that I can look at to see how I'm going to install them on my Realforce 104UB?
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #655 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 00:59:10 »
I just bought the MX to Topre Sliders from the JTK groupbuy on CTRLALT. Does anyone have a guide that I can look at to see how I'm going to install them on my Realforce 104UB?
If you search you will find the info you need. Basically you just remove the old sliders and put the new ones in. There are plenty of guides around though.

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #656 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 10:32:07 »
Any links?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #657 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 10:37:03 »
Any links?

Lots of links, be more specific.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #658 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 14:26:20 »

yes.

EK edition:

non-EK:

looking at the non-EK edition, notice the funny legends on the right side of the board; print screen, home, insert, page up, etc. the whole block just looks messed up. for example, the space between 'Page' and 'Up' is too big. the letters on these keys are weirdly thin, and 'squished together', relative to legends on the Num Lock key, for example.
the EK edition has more consistency in the font, spacing and centering of the legends.
other differences are: Enter, Tab, Backspace, CapsLock.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2015, 14:38:16 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #659 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 14:45:31 »

yes.

EK edition:
Show Image

non-EK:
Show Image

looking at the non-EK edition, notice the funny legends on the right side of the board; print screen, home, insert, page up, etc. the whole block just looks messed up. for example, the space between 'Page' and 'Up' is too big. the letters on these keys are weirdly thin, and 'squished together', relative to legends on the Num Lock key, for example.
the EK edition has more consistency in the font, spacing and centering of the legends.
other differences are: Enter, Tab, Backspace, CapsLock.
I see what you mean. I'll have to take a look at mine this evening to see how it compares.

Offline cinnamoncider

• Thorpies are snappy
  • No clack; no life.
« Reply #660 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 06:24:16 »
I recently bought my first topre keyboard last month; which is a HHKB Pro 2. I bought it from amazon.co.jp and shipped through Tenso. It seems that this is the only cheapest way to get my hands on this keyboard. Costed me ¥25,350(~US$208) for the board and ¥2,880(~US$24) for the forwarding fee. I didn't want to pay a huge Customs tax so I lowered its declaration value to ¥3,000(~US$25) :))

Initial thoughts and impressions
I was a bit underwhelmed. The real feels on these are not how I imagine them to be. I'm a bit disappointed. It didn't left the same impression to me when I ascended from cheap rubber dome membrane keyboards to mechanical(my first board has Cherry MX Brown), but I'm pretty sure that if this was my first board; it would feel like it was Godsend. I assumed that it would feel a bit stiff, rubbery like a toilet plunger, and the "thock" sound would be more pronounced. I overestimated topre because of all the cup rubber goodness hype. They feel like smoother and softer ergo clears. Still, I have no regrets.

Some folks told me it might take some time before I appreciate topre. So I let it grew into me... they were right. :D

After a month of usage cycle with other Cherry MX keyboards
Topre keyboards are really comfortable to be typed on. It doesn't need a lot of effort to type. And when you push a key - you would know that it did register, because if you push halfway - the rubber dome will compress to bottom out and easily decompresses or I would call "snap back" into place - which produces the "thock" sound when the base of the slider hits the face plate surface. Bottoming out in topre switches are gentle because of rubber, unlike with Cherry MX switches that's made from plastic.

I constantly cycle between Shine 3(MX Brown), Poker II(MX Black), and HHKB Pro 2(Topre 45g). All I could say is that there's no switch that "suck", each of them has their own unique "points" that makes them different from each other; mostly Topre.

Topre keyboards are expensive
They are indeed expensive as a "mass produced" keyboard. But a factor for it's high price compared to usual mechanical keyboards is that its switch design is different from Cherry MX switches - that can be mass produced instantly and be bought as bulk or piece. Topre switches, however, is different; the switch comprises of the rubber dome, spring, slider, and the face plate of the keyboard case to hold the sliders. This may be one of the reason on why you won't be seeing custom(sold as kit/built from scratch) topre keyboards anytime soon.

Prices of topre keyboards may vary from where you'll get one(local retailer, forwarder from Japan, 2nd hand, etc). But if you'll compare its price to custom keyboards that costs for more than US$300; topre keyboards are not that expensive at all  ;)

TL;DR
Topre switches are awesome and expensive :D

BTW, replace your Topre ABS spacebars with PBT spacebars. Organized and made possible by Matt3o. Topre PBT Spacebar GB Thread

Offline IAmTheGuy

« Reply #661 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 20:31:22 »
Does Topre develop key chattering?  I'm quite fed up with chattering atm.  T.T

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #662 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 21:23:41 »

I haven't heard of it before in relation to Topre switches.

My HHKB is just over 4 years old, is second hand, and shows no signs of chatter at all.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #663 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 21:28:14 »
What board are you using?

Offline IAmTheGuy

« Reply #664 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 05:04:24 »
Matias Quiet Pro mini.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #665 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 08:16:37 »
From what I understand, the Topre was actually developed with reducing key-chattering in mind. From the Deskthority wiki, on the Topre Patent:

"The present invention has been made in consideration of the above situation, and has as its object to provide a keyboard switch wherein constant hysteresis can be obtained without changing the operation characteristics even if an operation value is arbitrarily set, thereby properly preventing chattering, and wherein an operator can know that the operation member has been depressed to a depth corresponding to the operation value."

From my experience with using Topre, key-chatter is practically non-existent. It's like typing on a piano - the feeling is as if you're hitting solid blocks of plastic, rather than hitting a keycap that's sitting on a "switch". Virtually no key wobble, basically. That should give you a feel for how solid-feeling Topre switches are.

But, as you say, in your thread regarding gaming switches, the tactility might be a little difficult for you when gaming. The only way to find out is by trying it out, really.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2015, 08:41:05 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline dwk396

• asdf1234
« Reply #666 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 14:29:53 »
OMG...
I just got Realforce 87U 55g white version.
It feels so great!
Now, my Razer Blackwidow Chroma feels so cheap that I cannot stand it anymore!!!
I want to try FC660C and HHKB Pro2 and more!

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #667 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 14:34:02 »
OMG...
It feels so great!
Now, my Razer Blackwidow Chroma feels so cheap that I cannot stand it anymore!!!
the HHKB should be next on your list!

Once you have your HHKB, you will be welcomed into the halls of vahalla.  :cool:

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #668 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 16:02:34 »

Exactly what happened to me with my KUL. Not that it was a badly made keyboard by any stretch -- but Cherry switches just feel so gritty and rough after getting used to Topre.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #669 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 01:13:10 »
OMG...
It feels so great!

Welcome to the light side :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Cafeine

• GeekZone
« Reply #670 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 05:49:11 »
Mechs Keyboards in Tokyo...

Short version: my HHKB Type-S is finally home.

Long version: Tokyo is awesome.
Full album (well, only the KB related stuff)

I spent 5 days in Tokyo (3 weeks in Japan - Kanazawa, Nara, Kobe, Kumamoto & Ishigaki (south of Okinawa) and around those places) and came back last Wednesday.

I hunted keyboards for almost a full day in Akihabara and as already reported, it's not that easy to find some models, even if it's "made in Japan". Seoul is still the best for that kind of "sport". BTW, I confirmed via email with Topre that all the RF made for Leopold are ONLY found in Korea (I'm looking at you, Realforce 10th Y anniversary edition...)

One product was remarkably absent from MANY stores: the HHKB.  And for the few shops that DO have it, the Type-S version isn't often on the menu... A lot of shops had ONLY the Japanese versions of the Realforce too. So plan in advance and know that if you order on Amazon.co.jp in the morning, you can have something delivered the very same day. Can save you a lot of trouble. Note: HHKB is easier to find in mainstream shops like Bic Camera, etc.

For Topre lovers, Tsukumo is the place to go. Small shop in Akiba, with the "nerd section" underground, take the stairs to level -1. Easy to spot ➜ it's close to the AKB48 café, which is very close to one of the exit of the Akihabara station.

Food was my second interest and DAMN it was good. You can check my Instagram for that. But know that Ishigaki Beef Sushi and Kobe beef are AS GOOD as you may imagine. If you're not vegan. ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2015, 05:53:20 by Cafeine »
Own : HHKB Type-S | Leopold FC660C (x2 - 1st Gen & 2014 silenced) | RealForce 87U TKL (55g uniform) | RF 23U | Minila Air MX Blue
Sold : RealForce 88UB 45g | Leopold FC660M (MX Clear) | Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown) |  KeyCool 84 (MX Black) | CodeKeyboard TKL (MX Clear)

Offline Genrilee

« Reply #671 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:57:22 »
I've been using my HHKB for a month now and decided to try out the ghetto silence mod using rings punched out of a sheet of packing foam. Took a couple of hours to make the rings and fit them onto the stems. I'm really surprised at how well it's deadened the upstroke clack sound! The overall effect seems to reduce overall key rattle. The classic topre "thock" sound seems to have been retained.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2015, 13:03:39 by Genrilee »
HHKB pro2 (silence mod)/ Corsair K65 (ergoclear switches)

Offline colomb

« Reply #672 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 13:53:42 »
I couldn't find any mention of this anywhere on GH which is surprising because Hypershpere is a member, but he has an interest check running at Deskthority for Topre silencing rings: http://deskthority.net/help-f53/silencing-rings-for-topre-rf-or-hhkb-t10051-30.html

I've been hunting for a donor board for quite some time, so this is a welcome alternative. Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere and I missed it.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #673 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 16:29:41 »
I couldn't find any mention of this anywhere on GH which is surprising because Hypershpere is a member, but he has an interest check running at Deskthority for Topre silencing rings: http://deskthority.net/help-f53/silencing-rings-for-topre-rf-or-hhkb-t10051-30.html

I've been hunting for a donor board for quite some time, so this is a welcome alternative. Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere and I missed it.

I've known about this for quite a while, but it seems like he's too busy or maybe abandoned the whole idea. I was definitely in for some since I tried the other silencing mods and didn't like any.

Damn shame because I really dislike the upstroke clack. Hopefully he can come through.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #674 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 06:34:45 »
Going back to the consistency of those legends, I guarantee you all of those keycaps are printed in the same place, EK, Non-EK. Maybe it's just a matter of white vs black keycaps.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #675 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 12:18:30 »
Going back to the consistency of those legends, I guarantee you all of those keycaps are printed in the same place, EK, Non-EK. Maybe it's just a matter of white vs black keycaps.

the difference is so obvious..

edit: i think it's dangerous for you to make such a claim. if someone believes you and makes a purchase thinking he will get nice legends, he might be very disappointed.

open these two links in seperate tabs:
https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se19e0
https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se17t0
enlarge the second picture for both boards
now just switch between the two tabs and compare the legends..

like i said, the difference is obvious.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 July 2015, 12:26:37 by Bucake »

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #676 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 11:20:17 »

They may be printed in the same place, but they're definitely not laid out the same way. As Bucake above points out, the difference is really obvious if you look.

Offline t888

• CONNECT 14400 ... Welcome to Skynet
« Reply #677 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 20:26:02 »
Mechs Keyboards in Tokyo...

Short version: my HHKB Type-S is finally home.

Show Image

Long version: Tokyo is awesome.
Full album (well, only the KB related stuff)

I spent 5 days in Tokyo (3 weeks in Japan - Kanazawa, Nara, Kobe, Kumamoto & Ishigaki (south of Okinawa) and around those places) and came back last Wednesday.

I hunted keyboards for almost a full day in Akihabara and as already reported, it's not that easy to find some models, even if it's "made in Japan". Seoul is still the best for that kind of "sport". BTW, I confirmed via email with Topre that all the RF made for Leopold are ONLY found in Korea (I'm looking at you, Realforce 10th Y anniversary edition...)

One product was remarkably absent from MANY stores: the HHKB.  And for the few shops that DO have it, the Type-S version isn't often on the menu... A lot of shops had ONLY the Japanese versions of the Realforce too. So plan in advance and know that if you order on Amazon.co.jp in the morning, you can have something delivered the very same day. Can save you a lot of trouble. Note: HHKB is easier to find in mainstream shops like Bic Camera, etc.

For Topre lovers, Tsukumo is the place to go. Small shop in Akiba, with the "nerd section" underground, take the stairs to level -1. Easy to spot ➜ it's close to the AKB48 café, which is very close to one of the exit of the Akihabara station.

Food was my second interest and DAMN it was good. You can check my Instagram for that. But know that Ishigaki Beef Sushi and Kobe beef are AS GOOD as you may imagine. If you're not vegan. ;)

Fantastic post.  Thanks for sharing.  My wife has been trying to get me to visit Asia this year and stop in Korea.  Keyboard hunting sounds like a fun and exiting thing to do.  Looking at your photos makes me want to travel again.  It's been too long...
Unicomp ♡ HHKB Pro 2 ♡ Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Cafeine

• GeekZone
« Reply #678 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 10:21:33 »
Do it mate, Seoul is the best place in the WORLD to do some KB hunting and the food will be awesome enough to rest your tired feet. :D  It's on my list for the next trip, with some diving in Jeju Island. :)
Own : HHKB Type-S | Leopold FC660C (x2 - 1st Gen & 2014 silenced) | RealForce 87U TKL (55g uniform) | RF 23U | Minila Air MX Blue
Sold : RealForce 88UB 45g | Leopold FC660M (MX Clear) | Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown) |  KeyCool 84 (MX Black) | CodeKeyboard TKL (MX Clear)