Author Topic: Help preventing accidental navigation with buttons on Expert Mouse?  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Voixdelion

I hate when shortcuts are mapped that **** up my productivity by advancing or backing up a page in browsing history while I'm in the middle of typing or editing a post on a forum someplace and either hit the backspace key or mouse buttons to fix some error.  Some of these I've managed to fix but I've run out of patience to find what's causing my newest grief.

Apparently, at least in the latest release of Firefox, my Expert Mouse is somehow triggering a backward page nav by hitting the lower and upper right mouse buttons in succession (and I mean only "in succession" rapid or not; the lower brings up a context menu and the upper activates the "Back" behavior).  I'm not currently running mouseworks at all, so I don't know what the heck the system is using to interpret that combo as a nav command to begin with.  Does anyone know how to stop this irritating (and destructive!) behavior?  

This is a 64217 model connected via usb, if it matters.

On a side rant, this has to be one my greatest pet peeves when I get unanticipated "helpful shortcut" behavior, since I tend to write directly into boxes in browsers rather than on a notepad and then pasting.  While that particular combo of buttons may not be something many run into by accident , sometimes my fingers get tired or it happens when I want to move the trackball itself.  Is there some kind of software that will help folks like me by autosaving certain text entries made upon page nav?  If not, would anyone like to conspire with me to create such a thing?
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 April 2010, 20:06:58 by Voixdelion »
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline Voixdelion

Help preventing accidental navigation with buttons on Expert Mouse?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 20:09:25 »
Also interesting to note: as long as the context menu is open, I can press the upper button multiple times and go back as many pages until I hit the limit of pages in history.  This is independent of whatever selection on the menu is highlighted also, since that requires my left button to activate.  This is becoming VERY annoying.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 00:08:30 »
I noticed that FF treads the zoom in/out on a MS Ergo 4000 keyboard as scroll up/down. Rather handy I thought. Maybe FF is trying to do something similarly useful for you and getting it wrong. Might be worth looking through the FF configuration options.

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 00:33:56 »
Tried that but I'm not entirely sure how to find the culprit in the massive list of configs.  Afraid I'll break something I need if I just go willy nilly.  How to find which one is  responsible?