Author Topic: Xia review, disassembly and modifications  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Infinite north

Xia review, disassembly and modifications
« on: Sun, 09 May 2010, 18:21:53 »
Hi, this is a little review of the issues I have had with this mouse. There are some fixes in here also. I know you folks aren't gamers but I figure you can appreciate hardware so there should be some love for it.

I originally posted this in another forum and of the few responses that I got people said that my issues were mine alone. Looking around at online reviews I have seen several people with some similar issues; (mouse wheel, sensitivity glitch). So if you own one of these hopefully better than mine.

So to the point this is my first steelseries product and I really can't say I am too happy with it but with all that I have done with it at this point it's mine to keep. The first issues I had with the mouse were;
* one of the side buttons not being properly soldered
* the mouse wheel scroll tactile click not accurately designating a movement
* the sensor seems to randomly misalign making side movement go diagonal
* changing profiles can cause erratic sensitivity changes
* side buttons far too easy to press both on accident
* cpi button not assignable\changeable
* occasional unregistered left and right clicks
* profiles will occasionally return to default settings after rebooting
* macro program is still not fully working
* wiring for the led that lights the lcd is weak.

The good things I have to say about it;
* when working tracks like a dream, never skips (med speed\movement gamer)
* feels great in my hand, the shape and rubber coating are excellent
* high level of precision adjustment.
* looking at the button selection inside it appears that different grade buttons ended up in different spots so the heavy use buttons hopefully last longer

Some other notes;
* I believe that the cpi is only adjustable in 90 unit increments, that is what the sensor manufacturer claims. This is not how the software portrays it giving you the option for single unit adjustment
* based on quick personal testing the freemove setting seems to be on or off even though you are given the option for 0-10, meaning that 0 is off 1-10 all seem the same

So with all the issues I had I decided to crack it open and dig around. Looking around I noticed this white scum all over the bottom of the main PCB. I took the time to clean it off wondering if it could be causing some of the glitchiness the mouse suffers from. It doesn't stand out horribly well in the picture.

Also noticed that the usb cable was partially unsheathed.

First main issue was trying to fix the wobbly side button. No real need for details but it's fixed.

Next was attempting to separate the side buttons because they are so close to one another. By removing the buttons I was able to file a gap in between the two. This has been somewhat effective but I am planning on placing a metal bar in the gap I made to hopefully prevent accidental button mashing.

Then after this I removed the tactile click from the scroll wheel. To do it I opened the assembly and used flat surface forceps to smash a bent metal plate flat. This makes for click free scrolling. I also ended up replacing the mouse wheel for a smaller one but I don't have pictures of it.

first link is unmodified

second is modified and still open

This is a link to all the pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40469535@N05/

Not that it's all bad but for the price I really hoped for a more finished product.

Offline Infinite north

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 May 2010, 23:07:31 »
Quote from: ripster;180557
I once thought about doing some mods using Omron switches - they have a pretty high activation point around 80g IIRC but they do offer lower force lever models.  The KBDmania guys have done some mouse switch swaps.

The Omron switches are stock for mouse 1 and 2 buttons, all other buttons are ttc's with different colored tabs (red, white, black). I am not sure if they have different resistance or reliability but disassembled they look the same.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 02:19:45 »
Quote from: Infinite north;180530
Show Image

Is that rust? In something so new? Must have used some super-cheap components if so.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 03:49:14 »
Quote from: Infinite north;180530

* the sensor seems to randomly misalign making side movement go diagonal

Could be caused by a little piece of dust on the sensor, the ADNS-9500 is a bit *****y about that.

* side buttons far too easy to press both on accident

I never hit one of the side buttons by accident and when I hit the wrong one I see it as my fault. :D

* cpi button not assignable\changeable

SteelSeries doesn't want that people accidentally enter the menu if they bind the CPI-Button but IMO they could have "solved" this problem better.

* macro program is still not fully working

Yea, it's shame that they still haven't implemented the keyboard emulation (allthough it works) but I don't need it anyway.

* I believe that the cpi is only adjustable in 90 unit increments, that is what the sensor manufacturer claims. This is not how the software portrays it giving you the option for single unit adjustment

True, CPI settings that are not multiples of 90 are interpolated by the MCU

* based on quick personal testing the freemove setting seems to be on or off even though you are given the option for 0-10, meaning that 0 is off 1-10 all seem the same

I never really tested it myself cause I prefer it off anyway (note to myself: check it).
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline NOMiS

• http://teamvga.com
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 03:52:24 »
I like the side buttons, don't have problems with them ever. Though I think making bumps on them like the 3.0 would work better.

Steelseries Xai
Poker X KBC (Red)

Offline Infinite north

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 17:25:12 »
Quote from: Rajagra;180605
Is that rust? In something so new? Must have used some super-cheap components if so.

You know I never noticed it until you pointed it out in the pictures. I spent some time working with that component directly and would hope that I would have noticed. I went over all the original unedited photos just to see if it was still there. It was so I guess I will have to keep that in mind for next time I crack it open.

I most likely have an issue with the side buttons because of how I hold the mouse, my thumb sits right on the separation for the two buttons. The lack of definition between the buttons is my problem, adding the spacing allows me to feel where one button starts and the other ends.