Author Topic: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO  (Read 893829 times)

Offline Soarer

Re: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO
« Reply #1050 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 10:42:22 »
Which key is num lock?

Next one along!
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 December 2013, 10:44:39 by Soarer »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1051 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 19:29:56 »
I have a similar model, an 1191, PCB 601-1701 rev.00. If yours is the same PCB...
48529-0
It's good chance that is what it will be, as it is on mine.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1052 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 19:59:55 »
Thanks Ivano! Does your 'board speak regular Extended Set 2 protocol?

Actually... did you mean the 1207? What do its 4 extra keys output as?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1053 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 11:41:04 »
I got rid of that one, well even it's the same as the 1191 internally. 1191 have the same exact pcb but dosen't have the 4 extra function soldered on. Windows didn't understand what the extra 4 function keys and ignored them. I couldn't tell you what it told me in aqua anymore for scancode. It's a normal PS/2 keyboard.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 December 2013, 11:48:54 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1054 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 12:04:55 »
Ah, I see, thanks! Possibly the extra keys were meant to work with some terminal emulation software, so it wouldn't matter if they weren't recognized otherwise. Anyway, that does improve the odds that the 4P4C version is also PS/2!

Still worth checking power and ground before wiring the 4P4C version up though, just to be sure!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1055 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 13:27:00 »
Good chance it's PS/2 or otherwise I would guess it was meant as aftermarket for Wyse/Reynolds/Link/etc terminal and would speak that. Sometimes it is hard to figure out what things are with Cherry, they did some really odd things at times like the weirdness that is my G80-2550 terminal AS400 layout... I am still not sure what the hell that speaks. I also have some G80 that seem to be serial over a DIN5 AT plug?

Offline gogi-goji

« Reply #1056 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 23:16:01 »
When foraging in my dad's lab for a replacement power supply for my computer, I happened across this forgotten beauty hidden away in a cupboard:

http://imgur.com/P01MGrf

I've never felt any kind of keyboard other than rubber domes or scissor switches before, so I was somewhat entranced by the feel of the keys in this keyboard and took it home.  Nobody at the lab while I was there could remember where it came from.  It's part number is 1801449, but searching that didn't really get me anywhere.  From what my searching could gather, it's a Model F PC/XT keyboard, made between 1983-87.  It has a 5 pin DIN connector (which is the same as for AT keyboards, right?).  Does that all sound like accurate information, and am I using the terminology correctly?

Elsewhere in the lab, I did find a AT to PS2 adapter cable, but I don't have any computers with PS2 ports or PS2/USB converters to try it out with.  So I thought that I might build one of Soarer's converters and learn some basics about circuitry and microprocessors in the process!  (I also thought it'd be nice to be able to get some some notification LEDs and remap a couple of things on the keyboard to make the funky layout more usable.)

Of course, I don't know how to solder, so I thought I'd do it on a breadboard.  Is it possible to get any kind of DIN 5 pin connector to plug into a breadboard, or at least connect it without soldering?  Where should I look?  (Shipping to Canada, or physical Canadian stores to go to)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1057 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 07:40:44 »
I don't know how to solder, so I thought I'd do it on a breadboard.  Is it possible to get any kind of DIN 5 pin connector to plug into a breadboard, or at least connect it without soldering?  Where should I look?  (Shipping to Canada, or physical Canadian stores to go to)

You can't avoid connecting a few wires. At the minimum, you will have to strip 4 wires from the keyboard side to make the connection to the Teensy.

The connector is the same as the AT, that is good news. If you can find a female AT connector, cut it off for the wiring to the Teensy to preserve the original cable.

Figure out what gender of wiring you need, these guys sell variations.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40pcs-20cm-Dupont-Male-to-Female-Breadboard-Jumper-Wire-For-Raspberry-Pi-Arduino-/171065859856?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d451df10
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1058 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 08:57:25 »
Yeah, breadboards really aren't ideal for a permanent setup. I think there are some PCB mount 5-pin DIN sockets that have pins spaced so they'll fit in a breadboard - but the pins are short and it wouldn't be very secure! OK for testing though.

A more permanent non-solder option is to fit a Teensy-with-pins inside the keyboard using female-to-female jumper wires (but then you can't fit LEDs).

Offline gogi-goji

« Reply #1059 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 18:39:31 »
Thanks for chiming in!  Fair points about the delicacy of a breadboard-based solution, but at the very least I'd probably want to test things out on a breadboard first to make sure I can get everything actually working before messing around with getting a case and more-permanent wiring set up for the converter.

So I don't need to sacrifice the original cable at the alter of experimentation, is there any reason something like https://www.adafruit.com/products/1134 or https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9536 wouldn't work?  If so, then I could use that for testing, and perhaps something in the vein of http://store.curiousinventor.com/5-pin-midi-din-panel-mount-connector.html in a more permanent solution inside some sort of case for the converter.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1060 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 19:14:18 »
Yep, that plan would work fine and tide you over until you decide on a case etc. :D

Probably worth getting some 6" jumper wires at the same time: at least M-M (for breadboarding), and maybe F-F (useful for connecting to various plugs and Teensy pins etc).
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 December 2013, 19:18:08 by Soarer »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #1061 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 23:11:10 »
Noob here

Can I get a 122 key 1390876 with the 5 pin cord to work with the soarers convertor? I found a page with info about the plug at

http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/ibm_1390876.html

edit: its a terminal and soarers will work with it
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 December 2013, 00:27:08 by Pacifist »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 December 2013, 08:03:05 by fohat.digs »
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #1063 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 13:34:12 »
Lets say I make a converter which has 4 different types of sockets soldered to the teensy at the same time. I don't think they will interfere with one another assuming only one keyboard is plugged in. I am however wondering what would happen if one would accidentally connect two boards at the same time. I am certain it will cause havoc and not work, but will it short/break something?

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1064 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 14:22:12 »
No, it won't break anything :)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #1065 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 14:37:38 »
I am just waiting for the last few parts. I have found panel-mountable sockets for most of the connectors that are relevant. I will put them inside a small aluminum box with the teensy and create a neat little universal adapter.

Edit: Could the two 1kOhm pull-up resistors be placed one between PD0 and Vcc and the second between PD1 and Vcc straight on the teensy 2.0?
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 January 2014, 15:19:38 by damorgue »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1066 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 17:20:35 »
I will put them inside a small aluminum box with the teensy and create a neat little universal adapter.

I considered that, and it is very cool, but eventually I came to the conclusion that the most direct and straightforward configuration would be a box with a single female receptacle. I used the AT ("large DIN") style plug and built a set of short pigtail adapters to mate with it.

That included:

Female 240 degree DIN to male AT (for IBM terminals),

Female PS/2 to male AT (for most "quasi-modern" keyboards), and

Female "RJ45" (actually 8C8P ethernet coupler with the proper 4 wires connected) to male AT (for other terminal keyboards).

Regular "old-school" keyboards, which are the majority of what people will use here (including Model F AT and XT) will plug in directly.

Last, I just need to figure out how to pin an ancient serial keyboard and the ADB (so I can use it with those great Alps Apple Extended Keyboards) and I will be all done.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 January 2014, 17:22:52 by fohat.digs »
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline fauxsoul

« Reply #1067 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 02:09:29 »
I am going to be using a long cable and I just wanted to clarify, where exactly do I put the pull up resistors?

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1068 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 11:29:23 »
You might not need resistors at all, unless your cable is very long; most standard cables should be fine without them.

They should be somewhere near the Teensy end. Exactly where depends on how you're building your converter. If you're using stripboard to mount the Teensy onto, then on there is ideal. If you're using a panel mounted DIN socket, then attaching them onto its pins is probably easiest. Otherwise, you could fit them into the Teensy's holes, and then solder the wires from data and clock onto the legs of the resistors. Taking care to avoid shorting anything out, of course.  Lot's of choices!

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Offline fauxsoul

« Reply #1070 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 02:52:21 »
You might not need resistors at all, unless your cable is very long; most standard cables should be fine without them.

They should be somewhere near the Teensy end. Exactly where depends on how you're building your converter. If you're using stripboard to mount the Teensy onto, then on there is ideal. If you're using a panel mounted DIN socket, then attaching them onto its pins is probably easiest. Otherwise, you could fit them into the Teensy's holes, and then solder the wires from data and clock onto the legs of the resistors. Taking care to avoid shorting anything out, of course.  Lot's of choices!

Thank you for your response, and taking the time to do this work in general.
The cable that I will be using is 3 meters, so if I did add the pullup resistors I would place them between the Teensy and the din?
Sorry I'm kind of new to things like this.

http://imgur.com/KYT0FO2

Wired up just waiting for my keyboard in the mail.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1071 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 09:26:09 »
At 3 metres you should be fine without pullups.

They could be fitted across pins of the DIN, kinda like this (except they don't fit as neatly as drawn):

Offline fauxsoul

« Reply #1072 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 10:08:06 »
At 3 metres you should be fine without pullups.

They could be fitted across pins of the DIN, kinda like this (except they don't fit as neatly as drawn):

(Attachment Link)

Sounds good thank you, I will just leave them out for now.

Offline meeeeeep

« Reply #1073 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 10:49:56 »
Hmm... My AltGr is reported as LAlt (VK=A4, SC=038) and my WinKey is not found (VK=EA, SC=05C) using Soarer Converter v1.12 with Teensy 2.0 on my Swedish Steelseries 7G keyboard.

Is the source code available so i can try to fix this myself?

Edit: Normally without the converter the AltGr key translates to LControl (VK=A2, SC=01D) + RAlt (VK=A5, SC=138) and the WinKey translates to RWin (VK=5C, SC=15C).
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2014, 10:56:17 by meeeeeep »

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1074 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 15:21:27 »
It sounds like the 7G isn't sending the normal scan code sequences for those keys. My guess is that it's using something other than E0 to indicate an extended set 2 code, since dropping the E0 turns right alt into left alt, and left gui into keypad comma (which is only recognised on certain layouts, like Brazilian).

Can you try running running hid_listen to see what codes are actually coming from the keyboard?
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2014, 15:30:15 by Soarer »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #1075 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 15:23:23 »
122 coming in two days, pro micro coming in 2 weeks

So I solder the pins to the pro micro, solder wire from the terminal cable to the pro micro, then load the software on the pro micro, and I'm set?

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1076 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 15:38:55 »
Pretty much (assuming you've decided to cut the plug off the IBM cable).

You don't have to use the pins, but they do give a good solid place to solder to if you're a bit clumsy with the iron!  :))

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #1077 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 15:47:42 »
Pretty much (assuming you've decided to cut the plug off the IBM cable).

You don't have to use the pins, but they do give a good solid place to solder to if you're a bit clumsy with the iron!  :))

Cool, thanks! Will cut the plug because its unlikely I'll ever find a terminal board

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1078 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:47:58 »
unlikely I'll ever find a terminal board

In reply #901 I showed my terminal adapter pigtail to work with my female DIN (aka AT) socket. You might want to be able to test another keyboard some day.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline meeeeeep

« Reply #1079 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 15:40:10 »
It sounds like the 7G isn't sending the normal scan code sequences for those keys. My guess is that it's using something other than E0 to indicate an extended set 2 code, since dropping the E0 turns right alt into left alt, and left gui into keypad comma (which is only recognised on certain layouts, like Brazilian).

Can you try running running hid_listen to see what codes are actually coming from the keyboard?

Sure:

[example] A-key:
r1C +04 d04 (when first pressing)
r1C (while being pressed, this code repeats)
rF0 r1C -04 u04 (when releasing)

[example] Left Alt-key:
r11 +E2 dE2
r11
rF0 r11 -E2 uE2

[broken] Swedish Right Alt-key (labeled Alt Gr):
rE0 r11 +E2 dE2
rE0 r11
rE0 rF0 r11 -E2 uE2

[broken] Right Windows-key:
rE0 r27 +8C d8C
rE0 r27
rE0 r27 rE0 rF0 r27 -8C u8C

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1080 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 15:49:07 »
Hmm, that looks normal. Maybe it's not being detected as an extended set 2 keyboard... what does hid_listen say when you first connect the USB end of the converter? Should tell us the keyboard ID and which set etc.

Offline meeeeeep

« Reply #1081 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 08:01:40 »
Hmm, that looks normal. Maybe it's not being detected as an extended set 2 keyboard... what does hid_listen say when you first connect the USB end of the converter? Should tell us the keyboard ID and which set etc.

Device disconnected.
Waiting for new device:............................

Listening:
rAA wEE rEE wF2 rFA

remaining: FFFC

Keyboard ID: 0000
Code Set: 2
Mode: AT/PS2

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1082 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 08:11:50 »
Yep, that's the problem right there - it's not replying with any ID! That is technically a bug with the 7G's implementation of PS/2 protocol.

You'll need to use a config file, and add this line to it:

Code: [Select]
force set2ext

Then compile it with scas and write it to the converter with scwr (or just drag/drop it onto scaswr.bat if you're using Windows). The Teensy should be in normal running mode to do that, not bootloader mode.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 January 2014, 08:13:35 by Soarer »

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #1083 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 15:35:43 »
Hey all, I just ordered an IBM model F with the 122 style layout. The info I found on it (from deskauthority) is that it has some inactive keys. Will these keys be totally not working or will there be a way to make em work with the converter?

Thx for the answer!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1084 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 16:15:28 »
Will these keys be totally not working or will there be a way to make em work with the converter?

Lucky you. Welcome to the aircraft carrier club.

All my keys worked straight away with Soarer's Converter and a Teensy, after it was set up with the hex file.

Use the wcass method (reply # 560) to program the weird keys for whatever you want.

PS - if you are talking about the "secret keys" that is something different
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 January 2014, 16:17:54 by fohat.digs »
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline JPG

« Reply #1085 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 21:26:49 »
Will these keys be totally not working or will there be a way to make em work with the converter?

All my keys worked straight away with Soarer's Converter and a Teensy, after it was set up with the hex file.

Use the wcass method (reply # 560) to program the weird keys for whatever you want.

What secret keys are you talking about? The ones for the ansi mod?

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #1086 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 22:56:10 »
Hey all, I just ordered an IBM model F with the 122 style layout. The info I found on it (from deskauthority) is that it has some inactive keys. Will these keys be totally not working or will there be a way to make em work with the converter?

Thx for the answer!

The $55 one?

Offline JPG

« Reply #1087 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 22:57:30 »

Thx for the answer!

The $55 one?

Yea

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #1088 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 23:03:07 »

Thx for the answer!

The $55 one?

Yea

Nice :thumb:

Offline minium

« Reply #1089 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 00:14:35 »

I bought one from the same BIN. I have the M version and was wondering, is an M122 also an aircraft carrier? 'Cause that was my first thought when I stripped it down and saw the plastic barrel board. Maybe the F is a Nimitz Class.

ps. your rant on BIN was what helped me jump on it. thx.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #1090 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 06:19:51 »
Which version?

The original version of the Model M 122-key looks externally like a Model F 122-key, but has a plastic base instead of steel.

The later version has smaller bezels.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1091 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 07:24:39 »
Which version?

They are all about 22"x8"x2" but the F-122 weighs over 8 pounds and the M-122 is about 6.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline minium

« Reply #1092 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 10:50:06 »
This is the M-122 that I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181248084476 . To my eye it looks like an F, except that it doesn't have stepped keys or a black back. The "Model: M" on the back should be the clincher ;-) . My F-122 will be here next week. I'll have to get out the luggage scale and weigh both of them.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #1093 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 11:20:21 »
That's the early one.

The late one has a bezel that's only as thick as a 1391401.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #1094 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 17:32:16 »
I have a terminal M, want to cut the wires where the grey cable starts and then solder them to a pro micro.

Which color wire goes with which part? I'm pretty confused

pro micro pins:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1095 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 18:21:06 »

Which color wire goes with which part? I'm pretty confused

You can trace them backwards from the diagram if you have a very thin probe.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline JPG

« Reply #1096 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 21:00:11 »
Hi Soarer,

I received my pro micro and tried to load the hex onto it but I get a strange error and would like your feedback on it. Here's what I did so far:

(I am on Windows 7 btw)
1. I installed the arduino software to get the driver and avrdude and winavr since I realised quite late that the arduino thing had it, but anyway.
2. I put the pro micro on a breadboard and plugged a usb cable in it and in my computer. It was detected as a Leonardo on COM3. I put a cable in the rst pin and then in the grd pin next to it.
3. I copied the Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4.hex on my c.
4. I opened a command window and typed the following: avrdude -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -PCOM3 -Uflash:w:Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4.hex
5. then avrdude starts and says : connecting to programmer. After a while, it gives me the following message: Found programmer: Id = "<- ("; Type = clover symbol (the symbol itself) Software version =  . ; Hardware version = . avrdude: error:  buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/avr109 but a avr910 device?

So do you have any idea on what to do from there? What I could have done wrong? I rebooted my computer to make sure it was not a new driver issue, with no success. I am quite n00b at this so all help would be welcome!

edit: btw, after some googling, only info I found on this problem points to usb port/cable issue or reset issue. I tried 3 different usb ports and go the same error. Cable is cheap, got some new on the way, so maybe ... as for reset, is there a way of telling it happened?
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 January 2014, 21:27:21 by JPG »

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1097 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 22:12:47 »
I think you're almost there... to reset it have the wire in rst and just tap the other end against the USB socket to ground it briefly. Then Windows might load the driver again, on a different COM port. You only get about 8 seconds after resetting, so get your command line ready first, then reset, then quickly hit enter to run the command.

Mine came with an LED blink hex loaded onto it, so when the flashing stopped it was running the bootloader.

Offline JPG

« Reply #1098 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 22:40:00 »
I think you're almost there... to reset it have the wire in rst and just tap the other end against the USB socket to ground it briefly. Then Windows might load the driver again, on a different COM port. You only get about 8 seconds after resetting, so get your command line ready first, then reset, then quickly hit enter to run the command.

Mine came with an LED blink hex loaded onto it, so when the flashing stopped it was running the bootloader.

Woot, it worked! For everyones knowledge, when you reset it you will see the Leonardo disappear from de devices in the ports and be replaced with a bootloader (in a different com port for me). So I had to try it 2-3 times before I had the good setup with the good port in the command line. Also, to reset, I had to poke the usb connector more than I expected, but it end up working anyway.

Let's hope I'll manage to hook it up correctly tomorrow and try my XT at least!

Thx a lot Soarer. There will probably be more questions to come, but one thing at a time  :thumb:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1099 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 09:22:56 »
I appreciate you guys doing all the dirty work for me.

I have had one of these for a month but have not taken it out of the bag yet because I was not in the mood to waste a bunch of time.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28