Author Topic: [IC] GMK Future Nights // Update on most recent post  (Read 32684 times)

Offline Skok

[IC] GMK Future Nights // Update on most recent post
« on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 18:47:08 »

IC Form

Inspo
-
--
---
Inspired by sci-fi movies set in a near future dystopia,
GMK Neon Nights aims to capture the bright neon atmospheres
depicted in these movies and related media.

*set uses Biip's version of Katakana (thanks Biip)

Kits
-
--
---
In its current state its a bit ridiculous. I'm kinda laying it all out cause there is two ways this can fly.
The neon base with alt mods and red row is 100% the preferred base kit. The set started as the dark version but evolved to the neon version.
The people that have seen it prior are pretty split so I'd like to have the option but I will run this set in any way that makes the neon base possible.
I've gotten a good amount of input and it is obviously quite polarizing on what people prefer.

A lot of this is highly dependent on willingness of the vendors and what they are comfortable running.
Let me know on the IC Form what you prefer.
The video below shows the diff combos if you were to pick up certain base kits plus addons although I assume some kits will have to be cut.
More
Board is ICP by Illusion

more novelties?
Yes, I have a few already that I really love as seen above, but I really want to get some input from the community instead of just throwing up a bunch of lower quality novs for the sake of it. Don't know if that makes me look bad but that's how we rocking today.

Renders by me
More soon
-
--
---
Alice-style keyboard by Bolsa Supply

Onyx by funderburker

Unnamed 65 XT by Ella

Miscellaneous
More

Colors
-
--
---
pantone 192c
pantone 2199c
ral 240 20 20
stock CR
stock GR1
stock TU2

Vendors
None yet

Self plug/Updates outside of GH﹕
My insta where I post renders and such

Special thanks
Stellaidoscope for the dope novs
Biip for letting me use his Katakana 
Funderburker for Onyx render file
Rendermafia for their undying loyalty.

I'm aware gmk is a big meme rn. If the situation keeps deteriorating then I'm down to approach this as DCS but even then that could be just as bad by the time this runs whenever that happens.
More
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 August 2022, 09:40:55 by Skok »

Offline Skok

Re: [IC] GMK Neon Nights
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 18:48:29 »
preserved

Offline Sandy

• Formerly cogitoergofemme
  • Sandy - Peach Tray Maker
    • the peach · studio
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 18:50:35 »
Great design! I hope the novelties will work out otherwise I wonder if a tripleshot manu will be better. That said I really like the idea and it seems well executed
🍑C11🍑KWA.6🍑GPK60 47-GR1RE🍑Vast60🍑Rose60🍑EHKB🍑Viktus Sinne🍑Boop65🍑Jelly60 Pro🍑Fuji65🍑Ginkgo 65🍑S7.7🍑Treasure Type-9 II🍑Thermal R2🍑Jelly 60🍑

Offline Ponker

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 18:51:25 »
i like. ponker bless. oh but i don't understand the kitting as much and the need for these alt kits if there are alr light and dark base.

Offline Skok

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 18:52:54 »
i like. ponker bless. oh but i don't understand the kitting as much and the need for these alt kits if there are alr light and dark base.

yeah they are pretty dumb but as I said I kinda laid it all out cause I assume only one base is going to run. I even admit some of the kits are gonna get cut. Hence the IC form to feel out everyone's interest.

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 18:54:16 »
Skok your early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Neon Nights came out in '22, I think you really came into your own, commercially and artistically.

I’m team neon base.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 February 2022, 18:57:26 by TyPo.mk »

Offline illusixn

• Formerly illusixn
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 18:55:35 »

More
good **** skok
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 February 2022, 18:58:41 by illusixn »

Offline Skok

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 18:59:09 »
Skok your early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Neon Nights came out in '22, I think you really came into your own, commercially and artistically.

Skok:
Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that, Ty?
Ty:
[laughing]
You actually listen to Whitney Houston? You own a Whitney Houston CD? More than one?
Skok:
It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, Ty, it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.

Show Image

It was me. Left em there for ya wife and kids

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 19:02:08 »
Nice.
The only thing that boggles me is the red spacebars on the spacebars kit. How will it look if used in conjunction with all the TU2 bottom row modifiers?

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 19:02:21 »
8229 retweets, lol
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline andromache

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 19:02:27 »
I want Neon base right now

Offline eg0t1st1k4l

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 19:24:27 »
dark base instacop

Offline Ozone

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 19:37:09 »
I'll sell one (and only one) kidney for this. Great to see this in IC, tremendously hot.

Offline mcmcmc

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 19:56:38 »
cool design, great work! gimme now.

Offline Hawkenfreude

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 20:04:08 »
Imagine hiding the best render(s) behind a miscellaneous "more" button.

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 20:04:53 »
Literal godtier set

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 20:08:28 »
Consider using the standard katakana layout molds (as seen in GMK Mecha-01) instead of Biip's molds that are based on (and specific to) vintage Apple boards.

Edit: The dark base kit appears to contain duplicate R1 End and PgDn keys.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 February 2022, 20:11:02 by konstantin »

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 20:22:07 »
i like this
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 February 2022, 14:01:41 by xeon »

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 20:27:03 »
as others said, the kitting needs to be revamped. I particularly dont like the R4 novelties, could do some rework if others feel the same

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 20:37:49 »
I was really excited to see this title until I realized that it wasn't just the GMK version of https://trashman.wiki/en/keycaps/dss-neon-nights

Edit: Not saying anything negative about this set just to be clear.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 February 2022, 20:41:59 by factoryofidols »

Offline marshmellohs

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 21:12:08 »
neon base so hot

Offline Skok

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 21:39:57 »
Consider using the standard katakana layout molds (as seen in GMK Mecha-01) instead of Biip's molds that are based on (and specific to) vintage Apple boards.

Edit: The dark base kit appears to contain duplicate R1 End and PgDn keys.

Will fix those duped keys thanks! As for the legend molds its purely an aesthetic choice that they are being used so I plan to keep them.

as others said, the kitting needs to be revamped. I particularly dont like the R4 novelties, could do some rework if others feel the same

Yeah novs are definitely going to be a point of focus over the next few weeks. Nothing is definite so I'll be happy to explore some other stuff. As for the kitting there is a specific reason for it being this way as I mentioned above the kits.

I was really excited to see this title until I realized that it wasn't just the GMK version of https://trashman.wiki/en/keycaps/dss-neon-nights

To be honest I had no idea this even existed. I don't know if I'll change the name. I wanted to just do something simple and pretty much 99% of the options were already used for other sets. At a certain point you toe the line of names that are too far off from the intent of the set or just too cringey. Thanks for pointing it out. 

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 21:51:31 »
yo man, this set is dope as ****, but I did a set called DSS Neon Nights and I was planning on bringing that set to GMK this year. I don't wanna make you change the name, but not sure what I'd call my set when I run it if you stick with this name. again, I'm in full support of your set and want to pick it up when it runs, but hopefully the name won't be an issue.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 21:53:48 »

To be honest I had no idea this even existed. I don't know if I'll change the name. I wanted to just do something simple and pretty much 99% of the options were already used for other sets. At a certain point you toe the line of names that are too far off from the intent of the set or just too cringey. Thanks for pointing it out. 

I would suggest changing the name, it is never fun to land on a name that is already used and that you like but directly conflicting helps no one in the end. You then make the DSS set harder to make in other profiles without even further confusion.

GMK Neon Sky? GMK Future Nights?
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 February 2022, 21:55:36 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 21:54:24 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 February 2022, 22:04:33 by dededecline »

Offline Skok

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 21:57:15 »
yo man, this set is dope as ****, but I did a set called DSS Neon Nights and I was planning on bringing that set to GMK this year. I don't wanna make you change the name, but not sure what I'd call my set when I run it if you stick with this name. again, I'm in full support of your set and want to pick it up when it runs, but hopefully the name won't be an issue.

Instead of handling this cordially I'd prefer if it turns into a big argument that keeps the thread alive for a couple weeks. Some of that hype will leak over into your thread when that happens and then we can both shake hands and rest to a peaceful universe. In fact while I was typing this it already happened.

I'll change the name give me a few days lol

Offline Sax_______

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 22:16:30 »
hello where do i paypal you

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 22:19:13 »
Cool if we call it GMK Tech Noir and move on? ( That's my favorite neon sign ) GL with the rename :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 February 2022, 22:21:57 by HappyB0T »

Offline merpt

• merpt-projects
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 22:22:11 »
novelties are really nice, hope a manu can do those designs

Offline kiwoli

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 22:25:29 »
I'm leaning towards neon base right now. Though I am unsure about the gradient of TU2 to pantone 2199, personally prefer just TU2.

Have you given thought to using the RAL from GMK Norse, I know it's rather different, but could save colour matching times and be a nice crossover to this set (selfishly thinking of combining into a mono set)

P.S. timely geek out with the release of Magic's Neon Dynasty
More

Offline Skok

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 22:33:41 »
Cool if we call it GMK Tech Noir and move on? ( That's my favorite neon sign ) GL with the rename :D

A peace treaty has been signed and the war has ended as predicted in the holy texts of 07-Feb-2022, 21:51:31

I'm leaning towards neon base right now. Though I am unsure about the gradient of TU2 to pantone 2199, personally prefer just TU2.

Have you given thought to using the RAL from GMK Norse, I know it's rather different, but could save colour matching times and be a nice crossover to this set (selfishly thinking of combining into a mono set)

I've thought about it. I have the norse samples in front of me and while they are great they are def leaning too much on the green side for me to consider it. Although mono norse would be lit af. The RAL used here is just the shade over and is a bit bluer.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 22:44:51 »
omfg i'm so tired of the new jersey devils being so ****ty

Offline Skok

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 22:54:01 »

not your best work. 4/10 at best. Maybe your archnemesis of sam will make me feel something. ya know two sides of the same coin and alladat

also
More
Max scherzer is a new york met

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 22:58:53 »

not your best work. 4/10 at best. Maybe your archnemesis of sam will make me feel something. ya know two sides of the same coin and alladat

also
More
Max scherzer is a new york met
Show Image

dodgers in ****in shambles

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 23:02:24 »

Instead of handling this cordially I'd prefer if it turns into a big argument that keeps the thread alive for a couple weeks. Some of that hype will leak over into your thread when that happens and then we can both shake hands and rest to a peaceful universe. In fact while I was typing this it already happened.

I'll change the name give me a few days lol

glad you're tracking. Was just trying to make sure we get max hype and exposure for both sets XD

Offline Vyron

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 23:03:21 »
Really digging the dark base kit, great work!

Offline whirlwind

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 23:18:45 »
Looks really promising,   good luck with IC  :thumb:

Offline Nurseh

• Sorry for always apologizing
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 23:38:29 »
Clean  :cool:

Offline Botty212

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 00:52:47 »
tbh I like the set but I dont know if id like it in 2 years from now on because GMK probably wont deliver faster

Offline Skok

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 01:15:33 »
tbh I like the set but I dont know if id like it in 2 years from now on because GMK probably wont deliver faster

I don't blame you for that.  GMK is straight hopium

Offline less_blank

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 01:44:32 »
Neon base is a little too busy for me, think i’d prefer it with just one of either the red row or the blue mods. That dark base looks awesome though, look forward to grabbing extras in two years.

Offline keai

• jis>>>>>>
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 01:56:24 »
cool design, keep it up

Offline Laur

• Formerly dudeship
  • gmk retro runic
    • wip
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 02:09:50 »
set would look better on my board. hurry up with that render homie

Offline actress

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 02:58:40 »
ahh solarized dark with weeb legends and random gamer colours, must be 2022
can someone just rerun solarized dark instead pls
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 February 2022, 03:00:28 by actress »

Offline Skok

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 03:14:58 »
actress, I appreciate your input dude, but you're always so ****ing negative man. Honestly man, this is the one thing i ****ing hate about streaming some times, because you always have this one guy that just needs to be super ****ing negative all the time when you stream. I appreciate your input man but like my god, I never see positive stuff come from you. It's always just like bashing people, making fun of things. Even in Marcia's chat one time too. It's just so ****ing tiring bro, like it honestly is dude. I understand you don't want the product and stuff like that but you don't need to be so god damn ****ing negative man. Like it really is ****ing tiring to read. ****. It's so boring to read the same **** over and over and over again from the same people. You don't like anything, cool! Find a new hobby maybe. ****.

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge via Taptalk

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Offline Ella

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 03:45:00 »
Brain rot

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 04:06:17 »
excellent. dark base + accent kits is the way for me.
absolutely love this and can't stress it enough.

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 05:46:04 »
Edit: This is no longer relevant
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 February 2022, 14:00:14 by TyPo.mk »

Offline Ella

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 05:47:32 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 February 2022, 14:02:22 by xeon »

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 07:13:10 »
I prefer dark base,
Novelty kit: I also recommend adding ansi enter novelties too, those 2 iso ones are so good.