geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

DK2 Build Thread: Tenkeyless Cherry MX Modded Micosoft Natural Ergonomic 4000

<< < (4/4)

VoteForDavid:
I finished typing out the book this was produced to be used for, and find typing on it feels natural, with my hands on it in my lap (which is as intended).  I already want to make a better one.  Notes from use:

The mouse buttons make my hand feel cramped and I'd move those inboard/toward me some more...under the left space, which I rarely miss but do sometimes.  The whole thing is kinda small for me as I've 2XL sized hands but it fits very nicely on my notebook computer's keyboard area so that's a tradeoff I like. 

I'd move the number keys to the right more.  I consistently miskey them but that's down to lack of practice (it wasn't a math book I typed).  The Q could move a little inboard and I wouldn't mind, plus the W could move out a little.  It would be well to stretch my hands thoroughly before making the next switch position layouts

I want a bigger scroll wheel, preferably something with some mass that will spin longer, and something with some diameter increase as well . . . like 6 cm diameter maybe, huge.  Ditto for the trackball which is already 9/10 brilliant in use.

I'd keep using the MS4K's wrist rests, which I quite like

The switches are okay.  It's better than a membrane board but I prefer my tactile switches.  This was made to type quietly and the smooth switches do it so again, it's an acceptable tradeoff.

Backlit keys might be nice.  This is a gigantic pain in the behind increase but a little backlighting would go a long way when typing in the dark

Maybe make it wireles, possibly bluetooth so it would work with anything without the need of a dongle

I like the 1.5U ctrl/alt keys on the DK1 better than the 1U keys on this.

I haven't used the favorites buttons.  I'm glad I undertook the challenge and succeeded but they don't have the programmability I would have liked so they weren't worth it in practice, for me.  Plus they're 'way out there on top of the frame out of reach.  Maybe I'd like to have a knob for volume.

I'd like to have a middle-click and chording buttons for the mousing area.

Having recessed switches in the frame looks nice and clean . . . when it's clean.  These keyboards catch SO much crumbs and beard hair!  I think I'd like an "island" style where there's nothing surrounding to retain the crumbs.  Cleaning the trackball was necessary a couple of times and I had to open the whole board - this is by design but it's a hassle.  I'd like to have the ball retained by just a couple of small nibs so it could be lifted out with some resistance, rather than completely retained.  Learn from my mistake!  At least the board is easy to service.

I had to smooth out the bottom of the frame so it wouldn't accidentally strike some keys on my keyboard, but it only took a few seconds with a file (I love working with plastic!).  I added a connector (from a computer fan extension cable) to the mouse buttons so the frames can be completely separated, which spared some hassle during service but slightly complicates cable management when reassembling the board.  I had a cold solder joint break which gave me a little trouble bit I got it fixed.

Overall 11/10 highly recommended. 

If i make another custom board, there will be a build thread like I made for the first one.  That was entertaining and worth it, this thread was relatively boring I think

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version