geekhack Community > Ergonomics

keyboards for small hands

(1/2) > >>

hydraxic:
So basically my hands are very small and consequently I have a hard time typing with good accuracy on keyboards. Because my fingers are short, I have to move my wrists/hands around much more, which is really uncomfortable and it hurts my wrists. I also sometimes don't reach far enough and I end up accidentally typing a letter and the one next to it as well. I mostly code and I use symbols all the time which are even harder for me to accurately type with.
Does anyone have any recommendations for keyboards where I won't have this problem? I currently use an EVGA Z15. I'm fairly certain getting a smaller keyboard layout won't help at all because this problem persists with the row above and below the home row. Id prefer soemthing budget as well.
Thsnks in advance.

nevin:
have you looked at portable bluetooth keyboards? they usually have tighter spacing & smaller keycaps than typical "normal" keyboards. shop around and look for one that looks like it might work layout wise. look for product size on the listing.

datadesk has the LittleFingers keyboard
http://www.datadesktech.com/desktop_lf.html

you could go to a kit like a corne keyboard, but then you'd really be burying a lot of stuff in layers. which i don't think would help.

most budget friendly would probably be a portable/tablet bluetiooth keyboard or used littlefingers board. kits are great but can add up quickly depending on the components, switches & caps chosen for the build.

anawilliam850:
There are a few options you could consider to help with typing accuracy and reduce wrist strain:

Consider a keyboard with a smaller form factor, such as a 60% keyboard or a compact keyboard. These keyboards have fewer keys and a smaller overall size, which can make it easier to reach all the keys without having to move your hands as much. However, this may not work for everyone and may require some adjustment.

Look into ergonomic keyboards that are designed to reduce strain on the hands and wrists. There are many different types of ergonomic keyboards, such as split keyboards or curved keyboards, which can help to improve comfort and accuracy.

Consider using a keyboard with lower profile keycaps, such as a laptop-style keyboard or a keyboard with Cherry MX Low Profile switches. These switches have a shorter travel distance than traditional switches, which may make it easier for you to type accurately.

Finally, you may want to consider practicing your typing skills and using keyboard shortcuts to reduce the amount of typing you need to do. This could help to improve your accuracy and reduce strain on your wrists over time.

As for specific keyboard recommendations, it really depends on your personal preferences and budget. Some popular options for smaller form factor keyboards include the Ducky One 2 Mini, the Anne Pro 2, and the Vortexgear Pok3r. For ergonomic keyboards, you may want to look into options from Microsoft or Logitech, such as the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard or the Logitech Ergo K860.

LogLab:
For anyone with similar issues, I feel like a smaller keyboard with layers would def help since you don't have to reach as much and it's more about combos. I personally use a corne as my daily driver, and I find it MUCH MUCH easier to touch type all symbols (like brackets, underscores, graves, backslashes, etc) on it because I dont have to reach to some weird corner of the keyboard.

Also if you have particularly small hands, if you get a choc SPACED keyboard (Not all choc switch boards are choc spaced) like this from typeractive: https://typeractive.xyz/products/corne-case?variant=45740991578343 then it makes the keys even closer together than normal.

Neongreen:
Is a compressed layout/no blockers not working out for you? I have a keychron K4 at 96%. It has no spaces between keys. My hands are pretty small too and it helps with the hand strain after a whole day using it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version