geekhack Community > Input Devices

Unable to boot

(1/2) > >>

ivanlovric27121991:
Hey there ! I have a problem I think you can help me with. I have a Toshiba satellite a300 1G5 and I installed ssd in it. After that  my usb stick is unrecognized in the bios and I can't boot from it to install windows from it. And I marked it as active using diskpart and still nothing.
The error message is "active partitions not found . Press any key "
Thanks.

Poslano sa mog 220733SG koristeći Tapatalk

fohat.digs:
My first guess would be a faulty USB drive.
Can you check it in another computer?

ivanlovric27121991:
No the stick works fine on the other machine. It boots and everything, dunno

ivanlovric27121991:

--- Quote from: ivanlovric27121991 on Sun, 19 March 2023, 08:54:27 ---No the stick works fine on the other machine. It boots and everything, dunno

--- End quote ---
This thing happens every time I install SSD into it. When I remove the SSD and put the HDD back everything is normal and the USB boots.

Leslieann:
I have one laptop where it will ONLY boot the USB from a cold boot.
If you reboot, no matter what, it will not allow you to boot from any external device. You have no idea how long it took me to figure that one out.

Another problem could be the formatting and how Bios handles it. The bios may be switching to UEFI/GPT/secure boot once it sees a properly formatted drive (i.e. the ssd). Look in the bios and see if there's an option to allow MBR or legacy boot. This option may only show up if secure boot is disabled as secure boot requires GPT formatting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version