geekhack Community > Input Devices

Unable to boot

<< < (2/2)

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Sun, 19 March 2023, 14:00:26 ---I have one laptop where it will ONLY boot the USB from a cold boot.
If you reboot, no matter what, it will not allow you to boot from any external device. You have no idea how long it took me to figure that one out.

Another problem could be the formatting and how Bios handles it. The bios may be switching to UEFI/GPT/secure boot once it sees a properly formatted drive (i.e. the ssd). Look in the bios and see if there's an option to allow MBR or legacy boot. This option may only show up if secure boot is disabled as secure boot requires GPT formatting.

--- End quote ---

bios has alot of hidden settings they lock away from us.

Darthbaggins:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Mon, 20 March 2023, 06:34:14 ---
--- Quote from: Leslieann on Sun, 19 March 2023, 14:00:26 ---I have one laptop where it will ONLY boot the USB from a cold boot.
If you reboot, no matter what, it will not allow you to boot from any external device. You have no idea how long it took me to figure that one out.

Another problem could be the formatting and how Bios handles it. The bios may be switching to UEFI/GPT/secure boot once it sees a properly formatted drive (i.e. the ssd). Look in the bios and see if there's an option to allow MBR or legacy boot. This option may only show up if secure boot is disabled as secure boot requires GPT formatting.

--- End quote ---

bios has alot of hidden settings they lock away from us.

--- End quote ---

In some cases it's good to hide those settings away, I have seen people mess up things to cause boot/post issues. 

I can bet they dont have the Boot from external media/USB setting enabled - alot of machines have this disabled by default.  Normally this setting is in the boot/system menu in the bios.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version