geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

[Build Log] Filco Zero Modding to get DCS Alps Keycaps to Fit

<< < (2/2)

LightningXI:
Good to see a post around here - nice!

Btw I don't think the sound sample at the end of the post is working (sharing permissions probably)

These stabilizers sure look like a pain to work with though T_T

CPTBadAss:

--- Quote from: ankit on Wed, 29 March 2023, 23:59:23 ---Super sick write up CBA! Thank you for documenting  :cool:
You and Pogurt have been making me want to dive into the ALPS rabbit whole  :-\

--- End quote ---

Do it! it's fun and pretty accessible right now. The vintage stuff has gone up in price a bit but I see that Salmons and Creams are still affordable. Also don't sleep on Matias' switches. I still feel that they are VERY underrated. Their boards aren't my thing (just the style and layouts) but their switches really impressed me. I'm also learning there's so many options to get it into modern boards. Can't wait to build another custom Alps board myself lol.

--- Quote from: kyuut on Thu, 30 March 2023, 00:18:06 ---Filco Zero.... need :eek:
short write up but really nice, i think alpine winter looks pretty good, too bad it doesn't have the tkl keys

--- End quote ---

Yeah I forgot Alpine Winter was a 60% kit when I bought it. I think it'll look nice mix and matched with the 9009 set or I'll just swap over the 9009 set onto the zero and save Alpine Winter for a future 60% alps board.

--- Quote from: LightningXI on Thu, 30 March 2023, 08:18:21 ---Good to see a post around here - nice!

Btw I don't think the sound sample at the end of the post is working (sharing permissions probably)

These stabilizers sure look like a pain to work with though T_T

--- End quote ---

You were right, I think I fixed the sharing permissions now. The stabs were annoying but it was fun getting it to work out!

Booper:
Ohh a CPTBadAss build log!? Alpine Winter?! What year is it!? Can this be true!?!!

Thanks for sharing, I'm sure you will save some folks trouble down the line! Great write up and documentation as usual!  :-*

CPTBadAss:

--- Quote from: Booper on Thu, 30 March 2023, 11:56:59 ---Ohh a CPTBadAss build log!? Alpine Winter?! What year is it!? Can this be true!?!!

Thanks for sharing, I'm sure you will save some folks trouble down the line! Great write up and documentation as usual!  :-*

--- End quote ---

It's 2014 apparently lol. Feels nice getting back into keebs  :-*

CPTBadAss:
This is semi related to the OP but I'm adding it here because future me will refer to this if nothing else. And it'll be nice to have it all in one place.

So there were some remaining issues with my Zero. The major one being I was stuck using EasyAVR instead of Via. EasyAVR is S tier but also really really ancient. And also it required I boot up my Windows VM every time I wanted to change the layout. It'd be so nice to just change my layout on the fly in Linuxland. But I was too dumb to know how to do that so I just left it alone for now.

Until one night, I was chatting in LightningXI's discord server about the Pegasus Hoof and it led to me learning how to get the controller working in Via! I wanted to document that here. Thank you so much speedycake for teaching me.

Here's the steps that I followed:

I confirmed that I have a 2013 Pegasus Hoof from my old build log when I modded my Zero. And it was running an EasyAVR firmware. I grabbed the 2013 Pegasus Hoof firmware from Caniusevia.com.

Next I booted up my Windows VM and installed QMK toolbox. Then reset my controller with a magnet and passed the USB input into the VM. I set the MCU type to atmega32U2 and then flashed the hex file from Caniusevia.com. Once it's done, I just booted up Via and it worked!

I'm very happy to have my decade old controller and keyboard in the modern age XD.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version