geekhack Community > Keyboards

How to make a keyboard

(1/1)

Whiskey in the Jar-o:
You don't need no stinkin' PCBs.

http://www.maltron.com/maltron-kbd-flat-assembly.html

mr_sf_applet:
I have been admiring that board from afar for some time. They claim it offers most of the ergonomic benefits of a standard Maltron contoured keyboard but without the retro-industrial gawkiness. But did you see the price on that thing. 550 British pounds, which is 1,134 US dollars.

Nonmouse:

--- Quote from: mr_sf_applet ---I have been admiring that board from afar for some time. They claim it offers most of the ergonomic benefits of a standard Maltron contoured keyboard but without the retro-industrial gawkiness. But did you see the price on that thing. 550 British pounds, which is 1,134 US dollars.
--- End quote ---

You ever done that much hand-wiring and soldering?  Unless they're having 'em made by child labor in China, I don't see any way they could sell 'em for much less and still make any profit.

mr_sf_applet:
I'm not saying that the price doesn't reflect the materials and labor that go into its manufacture.

But what I would probably say is that the steep price doesn't buy added functionality. Maybe one can make that case for the Optimus, with its individual LCD's, but this Maltron Executive Board doesn't do any more -- it sounds like it does less -- than the standard issue Maltron contoured board, which is hundreds of dollars less. Whatever one is buying here seems more akin to what one gets for $4000 with the lacquered HHKB Pro 2

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version