geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

What video games are you currently playing?

<< < (247/274) > >>

rekster:
Guy does any have a solution I am facing fps issues

phinix:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Mon, 15 May 2023, 18:09:26 ---
--- Quote from: phinix on Wed, 10 May 2023, 03:17:17 ---
--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Tue, 09 May 2023, 16:57:16 ---
--- Quote from: phinix on Tue, 09 May 2023, 15:36:11 ---Blackthorne.
Brilliant platform game from 90s.

(Attachment Link)     (Attachment Link)

--- End quote ---

I rented this on 32x as a kid, it was really difficult. Reminded me of Out Of This World.

--- End quote ---

Out Of This World? What is that?

--- End quote ---

It's an Éric Chahi game from the 90s that really pushed the Genesis to its max. But it plays similar to Blackthorne.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: HungerMechanic on Mon, 15 May 2023, 20:15:11 ---

--- End quote ---

Why, if I may ask, do you find Blackthorne to be brilliant?

I toyed around with it a bit, but I just found it to be somewhat generic, albeit with its own gimmicks. Maybe I just never gave it a chance.

Out of This World, BTW was a sensation when it came out. The pseudo-3D-animated cutscenes and vector-like rotoscoped graphics were almost unheard of on the 16-bit systems of the era, including much of the hardware in DOS PCs. It has been remastered quite well for modern computers, the 15th anniversary edition IIRC.

Someone even remade the introduction for the Commodore 64 in 2019, which is amazing. The gameplay of OOTW isn't that revolutionary, though. It does have some similarities to Blackthorne.

--- End quote ---

Oh for f** sake... you Americans...  ;)

It's ANOTHER WORLD!

Of course I know this game, jeez, its one of the most important and greatest games ever made. Why titles always have to be changed for America I will never understand....

Regarding Blackthorne - when it came out, people loved it for being another platform game released on PC. Everyone loved Prince of Persia and Blackthorne was very similar, simplistic platform game with similar mechanics. I remember how huge it was in PC environment, everyone was playing it, we were sharing codes to show where we we went etc
I remember playing it with different sound - on PC speaker, using Covox, then on Adlib card, it was fun :)

smarmar:

--- Quote from: phinix on Tue, 16 May 2023, 02:44:36 ---
--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Mon, 15 May 2023, 18:09:26 ---
--- Quote from: phinix on Wed, 10 May 2023, 03:17:17 ---
--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Tue, 09 May 2023, 16:57:16 ---

--- End quote ---

I rented this on 32x as a kid, it was really difficult. Reminded me of Out Of This World.

--- End quote ---

Out Of This World? What is that?

--- End quote ---

It's an Éric Chahi game from the 90s that really pushed the Genesis to its max. But it plays similar to Blackthorne.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: HungerMechanic on Mon, 15 May 2023, 20:15:11 ---

--- End quote ---

Why, if I may ask, do you find Blackthorne to be brilliant?

I toyed around with it a bit, but I just found it to be somewhat generic, albeit with its own gimmicks. Maybe I just never gave it a chance.

Out of This World, BTW was a sensation when it came out. The pseudo-3D-animated cutscenes and vector-like rotoscoped graphics were almost unheard of on the 16-bit systems of the era, including much of the hardware in DOS PCs. It has been remastered quite well for modern computers, the 15th anniversary edition IIRC.

Someone even remade the introduction for the Commodore 64 in 2019, which is amazing. The gameplay of OOTW isn't that revolutionary, though. It does have some similarities to Blackthorne.

--- End quote ---

Oh for f** sake... you Americans...  ;)

It's ANOTHER WORLD!

Of course I know this game, jeez, its one of the most important and greatest games ever made. Why titles always have to be changed for America I will never understand....

Regarding Blackthorne - when it came out, people loved it for being another platform game released on PC. Everyone loved Prince of Persia and Blackthorne was very similar, simplistic platform game with similar mechanics. I remember how huge it was in PC environment, everyone was playing it, we were sharing codes to show where we we went etc
I remember playing it with different sound - on PC speaker, using Covox, then on Adlib card, it was fun :)

--- End quote ---
I have Heart of the Alien, the sequel to Out of this World (I'm American, okay!) for Sega CD. The disc also had the original OOTW. My CD player died before I was able to play the sequel. :(

HungerMechanic:

--- Quote from: phinix on Tue, 16 May 2023, 02:44:36 ---Oh for f** sake... you Americans...  ;)

It's ANOTHER WORLD!

--- End quote ---

Funny. I was actually thinking of also listing it as Another World, particularly when I was going to link to it on GOG.com

I received a demo disk of it a few years after it came out for PC. That was the American version, but the later GOG.com special edition retains the universal "Another World" title, I think.

The 15th Anniversary remaster is actually pretty neat. Chahi was able to simple scale the graphics 2x or so from 640x480, to 1280x960 I think. So it's the same models. But there's the option to use 'enhanced' graphics with those models, which are more colourful and detailed.

I prefer the classic mode, as those graphics were impressive in its time, and it's historically-important. But the enhanced graphics are very tasteful, as they are thematically-appropriate and developer-approved.

Blackthorne is similar to Another World in that there is a strong 'shoot/avoid' mechanic throughout the game, and the tossing of grenades. [Although only opponents do that in Another World]. They both are this weird mix of modern and medieval also, I think.

I didn't like how Blackthorne used such large sprites, given the limited screen-size and resolution of a 90s-era DOS PC. But it did look different and richer, kind of like the Lost Vikings from the same developer. I just thought that games with smaller sprites were more appropriate. Today, it would be awesome if some retro developer made a 1080p game with Blackthorne-like graphics and 120 fps. It was just too confined and clunky for me, even years ago.

smarmar:

--- Quote from: HungerMechanic on Tue, 16 May 2023, 14:13:22 ---
--- Quote from: phinix on Tue, 16 May 2023, 02:44:36 ---Oh for f** sake... you Americans...  ;)

It's ANOTHER WORLD!

--- End quote ---

Funny. I was actually thinking of also listing it as Another World, particularly when I was going to link to it on GOG.com

I received a demo disk of it a few years after it came out for PC. That was the American version, but the later GOG.com special edition retains the universal "Another World" title, I think.

The 15th Anniversary remaster is actually pretty neat. Chahi was able to simple scale the graphics 2x or so from 640x480, to 1280x960 I think. So it's the same models. But there's the option to use 'enhanced' graphics with those models, which are more colourful and detailed.

I prefer the classic mode, as those graphics were impressive in its time, and it's historically-important. But the enhanced graphics are very tasteful, as they are thematically-appropriate and developer-approved.

Blackthorne is similar to Another World in that there is a strong 'shoot/avoid' mechanic throughout the game, and the tossing of grenades. [Although only opponents do that in Another World]. They both are this weird mix of modern and medieval also, I think.

I didn't like how Blackthorne used such large sprites, given the limited screen-size and resolution of a 90s-era DOS PC. But it did look different and richer, kind of like the Lost Vikings from the same developer. I just thought that games with smaller sprites were more appropriate. Today, it would be awesome if some retro developer made a 1080p game with Blackthorne-like graphics and 120 fps. It was just too confined and clunky for me, even years ago.

--- End quote ---
I agree that the classic graphics mode looks better than the enhanced, even though there was more detail and texture in the enhanced mode. I'm so used to seeing the game in the classic style, I found myself turning on the enhanced mode just for a few seconds to see what the scenes looked like, before turning it back off. I think the absence of detail creates a richer experience. It's the way our minds fill in those blank areas, subconsciously. It's why I ofttimes prefer late mid'90s–early 2000s 3D FPS games over modern ones.

There was mention of Prince of Persia and Blackthorne, but have you played Flashback? It's a cyberpunk Running Man-type adventure done in the same style as the other games. Highly recommend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version