Author Topic: Which Cherry switch do YOU prefer for gaming?  (Read 11020 times)

Offline spitfire6000

Which Cherry switch do YOU prefer for gaming?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 01:53:13 »
Quote from: Trueepower;379356
After trying the black switch today, I can say definitely Red's are the best for gaming, typing for me. Blacks would second, but require too much effort to use.

you get used to blacks so quickly, you wonder how you ever went on without them. Blacks barely take a little more effort than pressing the keys on a regular laptop, and after a day or 2 i personally got fully used to them, now cant type with anything else.

All the other switches pale in comparison, the black switch is my choice for typing, and of course gaming hands down. The control I have with the higher resistance makes sure I never make typos or mistakes in typing a letter or making split millisecond actions in a pc game.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 03:08:41 »
Quote from: The Solutor;379319
No one suggest them because they aren't available "in nature" and people here prefers to spend money in pointless Filcos rather than trying to have the best.

But... what if... I mean, just a crazy thought...

somebody thought that clears WEREN'T the best?

*gasp*

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 03:24:52 »
Quote from: daerid;379383
somebody thought that clears WEREN'T the best?

We are speaking about ergoclears, not clears
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Farsiite

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 03:28:01 »
while the only mechanical switches i've actually had personal experience with are ibm model m buckling spring switches and cherry mx reds. my preferences, easily i might add, are the cherry mx reds.
 CHERRY G80-3494LYCUS-2 with G81-1138 HBU doubleshots    

Offline 77:blood

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 03:47:27 »
Either black or red is fine.

Offline Farsiite

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 05:11:17 »
one question i think is important to include for a thread like this is the additional "why do you prefer that switch" attached to the question.  i absolutely LOVE the reds because of how light the spring pressure is. maybe it's psychological but i feel like a keyboard that  has a lighter spring than another similar keyboard can be used faster/more efficiently because you have that much less pressure to go through when actuating the switch.  

also, merely as a personal preference, i prefer a linear switch over any tactility for gaming. typing is kind of another story though.

Offline Zhuni

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 09:21:34 »
I'd probably go with black but red is probably pretty close. Need to try both together again. Topre is my favourite for gaming though.

If I was just going to get one board out the MX's though it would probably be the reds just as I prefer them a little more for typing.
[sigpic] [/sigpic]
KBC Poker

Offline calavera

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 09:29:39 »
Personally prefer brown or red for gaming.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 10:45:48 »
Quote from: The Solutor;379387
We are speaking about ergoclears, not clears

lol, touche

Offline Astounding

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 14:22:50 »
Something important to consider, lots of opinions here, but no K:D ratios or screen shots to back it up.  Careful not to take advice from a newb!  Also, these are which switch THEY prefer, you'll really need to try the switch yourself to know what's best for you.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 14:51:43 »
Quote from: Astounding;379652
Something important to consider, lots of opinions here, but no K:D ratios or screen shots to back it up.  Careful not to take advice from a newb!  Also, these are which switch THEY prefer, you'll really need to try the switch yourself to know what's best for you.

Actually, I posted a link to a thread that discussed this to death and actually had the advice of a skilled player. Here it is again because people just LOVE discussing the same topic over and over again even though we have multiple threads on the front page about the same exact crap...

Quote from: RayRay;375616
I'm a 200 APM High-Master Zerg player (I play vs low Grand Masters occasionally to give you an MMR idea). Screwed around with a few switch types, and I'm really quite fond of Browns. I got myself an oldschool Cheery NKRO Brown keyboard and haven't looked back. It is much easier to play for long periods of time then with my Black board, and I enjoy it more then my buddy who has Clears (although he seems to like clears more). Blues are comparable, but I do quite a bit of streaming and/or Skype, and the noise is just too much.

Obviously, preference will always win out over popularity or opinion, but if you have no idea what switch you might enjoy (coming from a rubber dome keybord etc) I'd say Browns. Often times you will spam between keys rapidly, and Brown just seems to favor that the most out of the switch types I have tried.

I should also mention that I type ~130wpm and Browns are almost as nice as Blues for just general typing: which is also a plus. I can't stand typing for long periods of time on my Blacks keyboard: which has been strictly relegated to 3d shooters only now.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline DeltaGunner

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 14:52:55 »
Blue (Razer BlackWidow Ultimate) definetely, but thats because I only gamed on Blue's, except for an hour on CeBIT on Blacks (Meka G1). Next up the Das Model S Silent Ultimate (I sure love a KB when it has Ultimate in its name(am I being brainwashed by companies' marketing?))
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Keyboards:
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
Wishlist:
DAS Ultimate Model S Ultimate Silent, or atleast some other Cherry Brown
Mice:
Logitech Trackball
Logitech Trackman Wheel
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5.600 DPI
Switches:
Blue
Want to try:
Black, Brown, Red and BS

Offline Farsiite

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 15:24:54 »
lol yeah. my poor friends have to deal with me bottoming out my reds on skype. i also average 200ish apm so they learn to live with it lol.

Offline hella

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 02:13:31 »
For sc2, I really could use any cherry switch and get by.

For Team Fortress 2 I main soldier and the timing between crouching, jumping, and firing the rocket are crucial to how high or how far you will go.  Here I need auditory feedback and if I had to choose a cherry switch I'd take the blue's.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 09:26:09 »
Quote from: hella;380139
For sc2, I really could use any cherry switch and get by.

For Team Fortress 2 I main soldier and the timing between crouching, jumping, and firing the rocket are crucial to how high or how far you will go.  Here I need auditory feedback and if I had to choose a cherry switch I'd take the blue's.

Very interesting perspective!
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline chel-

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 10:03:49 »
For gaming I prefer black switches versus topre (only thing I can comment on). For me typing and gaming on black switches just feels nostalgic somehow.