Author Topic: Topre Appreciation Thread!  (Read 125117 times)

Offline Amarok

Re: Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 10:15:02 »
Well I broke down and already have huge buyers remorse. Ended up buying a HKKB pro2 lastnight... Will see how I like it, I just cant get over how much I just spent.. I told myself if I do love it I would sell my leopold and I already had plans to sell my filco to help relieve some of the cost.

There's no crying in baseball...err keyboards.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline noons

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 10:18:26 »
Well I broke down and already have huge buyers remorse. Ended up buying a HKKB pro2 lastnight... Will see how I like it, I just cant get over how much I just spent.. I told myself if I do love it I would sell my leopold and I already had plans to sell my filco to help relieve some of the cost.

There's no crying in baseball...err keyboards.

haha ^5
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 11:39:51 »
I have a question about the dip switches on the back of the keyboard. I am trying to use the first switch to swap ctrl and caps lock, but flipping the switch doesn't seem to have any effect. Am I missing some very obvious problem that's making this not work?

You either have to change the switch when the board is unplugged, or unplug and replug it in after changing it. It's not a live update kinda thing.

Offline Amarok

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 02:53:50 »
I have a question about the dip switches on the back of the keyboard. I am trying to use the first switch to swap ctrl and caps lock, but flipping the switch doesn't seem to have any effect. Am I missing some very obvious problem that's making this not work?

You either have to change the switch when the board is unplugged, or unplug and replug it in after changing it. It's not a live update kinda thing.

Awesome, thank you.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 09:23:39 »
do topre switch keyboards ever go on sale?  i'd love to try one but the price is little rich for my blood.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 09:51:19 »
Even when on sale, they'll rarely drop below $240.

Offline noons

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 10:20:58 »
do topre switch keyboards ever go on sale?  i'd love to try one but the price is little rich for my blood.

I hear ya.. Although when I sat there and thought about it a cherry keyboard usually goes for around $100-130. Then personally I hate abs key caps and most of the standard keycaps that come with cherry keyboards so you figure another $50-100. At that point your already not far off from the price of a topre.. Another good thing is the resale value on them is pretty high so if you dont like it you can probably sell it fairly easily and get back most the money you spent. This is at least how I justified my purchase... :)
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 10:37:22 »

I hear ya.. Although when I sat there and thought about it a cherry keyboard usually goes for around $100-130. Then personally I hate abs key caps and most of the standard keycaps that come with cherry keyboards so you figure another $50-100. At that point your already not far off from the price of a topre.. Another good thing is the resale value on them is pretty high so if you dont like it you can probably sell it fairly easily and get back most the money you spent. This is at least how I justified my purchase... :)

you're right on that but i have too my boards at the moment.  if ditch a few i think i'll pick up a hhkb and give it a go.  TY
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 14:39:29 »
keep an eye on the classifieds. both my topre boards are used... i'd never pay retail for one :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline drdoooom

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 16:19:07 »
is EK the only place to find topre keycaps?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 16:22:52 »
I think so. 

The week long verdict is in.  I like it, but I don't rank it higher than the others I have.  I can see using it like I use my others for 3 days - 1 month at a time with no worries, then wanting to feel a different feel when I type and swapping.

On the other hand, 55g is so much more better than 45g to me with it comes to realforce.

Offline Amarok

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 17:31:17 »
I think so. 

The week long verdict is in.  I like it, but I don't rank it higher than the others I have.  I can see using it like I use my others for 3 days - 1 month at a time with no worries, then wanting to feel a different feel when I type and swapping.

On the other hand, 55g is so much more better than 45g to me with it comes to realforce.

I'd tried blues, browns and reds before this, and I can't see myself ever going back to any of those over the 45g Topre I got. In fact I've sold my Poker with reds, and I have my other two keyboards with blues sitting in a drawer now. I have a Phantom with Ergo-clears in the works, so I'm still pretty excited for that. If I end up liking the Topre better, I'll probably sell the Phantom so I can get a HHKB and maybe a Topre CC.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 March 2013, 17:33:35 by Amarok »
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Amarok

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 17:32:52 »
Error.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 17:59:49 »
I think so. 

I'd tried blues, browns and reds before this, and I can't see myself ever going back to any of those over the 45g Topre I got. In fact I've sold my Poker with reds, and I have my other two keyboards with blues sitting in a drawer now. I have a Phantom with Ergo-clears in the works, so I'm still pretty excited for that. If I end up liking the Topre better, I'll probably sell the Phantom so I can get a HHKB and maybe a Topre CC.
Ergo clears are pretty epic and actually feel kind of similar to Topres in a weird way.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 18:05:18 »
i want to try topres out :D

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 18:12:52 »

Keychains are not an effective way to test a topre switch. Big differences in feel between plate mounted Realforces and HHKB's. So make sure you try an actual board, not a lone switch :)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 18:16:33 »

Keychains are not an effective way to test a topre switch. Big differences in feel between plate mounted Realforces and HHKB's. So make sure you try an actual board, not a lone switch :)

i got the wasd sampler kit before i bought my pure w/mx blacks and there was a decent difference despite my pure not having a plate. the only way i think for me to feel the difference is to try out a board. the only person who knows what a mech is is my middle school computer teacher who had a das. he might be on geekhack....who knows...

Offline Amarok

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 13:14:11 »
Curiosity got the better of me today and I ordered a 55g 87u to try.  :eek:
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline noons

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 14:39:14 »

Let us know which you like better.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 14:44:06 »

I don't regret trying topre again for a 55g. 

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 15:05:27 »
People worry about the 55g being too heavy, but it's definitely not heavy at all. Maybe a tad heavier than browns, but a bit lighter than clears. Very, very easy to type on.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 15:07:19 »
I love the heavy thock and ping of the 55g. It just makes the board so damned good. I believe the 55g is what Realforces were meant for.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 15:18:34 »
55g white RF baby....April 5 son...it's on!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Amarok

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 15:40:11 »
I love the heavy thock and ping of the 55g. It just makes the board so damned good. I believe the 55g is what Realforces were meant for.

Does it have more of a thock than 45?
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 17:42:19 »
ROFL.

Definitely want to try a 55g now. But... no funds.  :-[

Offline noons

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 17:45:58 »
Wow 3 people stating they liked the 55g better, now I am curious... The only topre I have tried is my HHKB which is 45g, I honestly feel they are perfect as far as weight.. I prefer lighter switches since my joints in my fingers always kill due to long hours on the computer, but I wonder how light the 55 actually feels. Personally if/when I get a realforce I think 45g would be perfect, but again thats without trying a 55g. Isn't the variable switch model made mostly of 45g switches?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 17:47:06 »
55g white RF baby....April 5 son...it's on!

Offline orlando

« Reply #177 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 17:55:06 »
Does anyone know if the "silent" realforce is available in a 45g or 55g config? Want to pick up a silent topre and the realforce price is a lot more tempting I just don't want that variable configuration ... well the 30g keys to be more specific.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 17:59:01 »
Does anyone know if the "silent" realforce is available in a 45g or 55g config? Want to pick up a silent topre and the realforce price is a lot more tempting I just don't want that variable configuration ... well the 30g keys to be more specific.

I don't think they exist. But you could certainly mod it yourself and save money:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40582

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #179 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:04:32 »
All the Realforce silent ones are variable I was looking for a silent 45g or 55g but no luck, I don't think they make a fixed silent Realforce.

Offline noons

« Reply #180 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:05:39 »
For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would want to silence such a wonderful sound... It's not even loud.. Hehe whatever to each their own I guess.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:08:13 »
All the Realforce silent ones are variable I was looking for a silent 45g or 55g but no luck, I don't think they make a fixed silent Realforce.

The HHKB Type-S is the only evenly weighted, silenced topre board I know of. But again, you could always mod any RF 45 or 55g to be silenced for pretty cheap.

Offline orlando

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:09:36 »
I don't think they exist. But you could certainly mod it yourself and save money:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40582

Thanks, I guess I could always attempt that on my hhkb. To be honest I've been soo close to buying the silent hhkb but that price! It should at least have bluetooth or something. lol

Offline Atakp

Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:21:10 »
I have one of the 89s 10th anniversary realforce boards, which is a uniform 30g silenced. It's only in the JIS layout though.

Offline drdoooom

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:42:14 »
love topres. the hhkb got me hooked and the realforce just came in this week. :D

Offline DavinDidIt

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 19:46:59 »
For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would want to silence such a wonderful sound... It's not even loud.. Hehe whatever to each their own I guess.

I agree with this man here!
KMAC 2, HHKB

Offline DavinDidIt

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 19:48:03 »

I agree with this man here!  It's like a soft rain pattering at the windows at night or something.  totally soothing
KMAC 2, HHKB

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 20:32:49 »
I agree as well. I love the sound of my HHKB. It's not even loud.  :eek: :confused:

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 20:35:23 »
Why isn't this called the Topreciation thread?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 20:39:49 »
Yeah. My HHKB plays very good music.
But I went mad with noise from my next colleague's HHKB.

Offline Atakp

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 20:45:58 »
I enjoy the sound of my normal topre switches as well, I mostly got the 89s to explore the 30g uniform weight

Offline Cafeine

• GeekZone
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 21:20:03 »
love topres. the hhkb got me hooked and the realforce just came in this week. :D

I started by the Realforce but same effect. HHKB incoming. :P
Own : HHKB Type-S | Leopold FC660C (x2 - 1st Gen & 2014 silenced) | RealForce 87U TKL (55g uniform) | RF 23U | Minila Air MX Blue
Sold : RealForce 88UB 45g | Leopold FC660M (MX Clear) | Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown) |  KeyCool 84 (MX Black) | CodeKeyboard TKL (MX Clear)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 21:51:04 »
Maybe this thread should be changed to the HHKB Appreciation Thread!

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 23:12:43 »
The thock sound on the downstoke is unchanged in the silent versions, but you guys like the clack sound on the upstroke?

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 23:54:59 »
Wow 3 people stating they liked the 55g better, now I am curious... The only topre I have tried is my HHKB which is 45g, I honestly feel they are perfect as far as weight.. I prefer lighter switches since my joints in my fingers always kill due to long hours on the computer, but I wonder how light the 55 actually feels. Personally if/when I get a realforce I think 45g would be perfect, but again thats without trying a 55g. Isn't the variable switch model made mostly of 45g switches?

I can relate to the sore knuckles. I had been using a Das Ultimate with browns for 2.5 years. At the end of a long day at my keyboard, my knuckles ached. I mean some days it was downright painful. That's the primary reason I tried Topre. I'm 55 and have been banging on keyboards for 30 years. In addition, I spent 27 years in martial arts, so I've sprained my finger joints so many times I couldn't begin to count. When you get older, those past sports injuries tend to rear their ugly head.

Last October, I bought RF 87U variable silent. So, 30g and 45g. I can tell you the difference in joint pain is astounding. In fact, there isn't any. On the Cherry browns, it was daily.

I've also been using my new HHKB Pro 2 that came yesterday. The key feel between the two is slightly different. But I'll comment on key weighting.

The all 45g HHKB is pure Topre heaven. And it wouldn't require much adjustment in your typing style if you're coming from Cherry browns for example.

When I first got the variable 30g - 45g RF, I was coming from browns. I found myself pounding the keys on the RF. So I made a conscious effort to lighten up my style. Of course, this required a more relaxed attack on the keys. I found myself being much more relaxed in front of the keyboard. Less 'deliberate' maybe? It took a good week to establish a lighter typing style without having to continually catch myself typing too heavily. But now that I've adjusted to the lighter, more relaxed typing style, I really like it. I've never had the pleasure of using a all 45g or 55g RF. Most guys seem to prefer those. And if I get another RF, I may give the 45g a try.

So...if you go with the all 45g or 55g, you will probably have less joint pain and not have to change your typing style much. If you go the variable, be prepared to make some changes to your typing style. The real question is to ask yourself is...will you prefer the lighter typing style? Either way, you will have less joint pain coming from Cherry MX.

Hope that helps...

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 23:55:56 »
The thock sound on the downstoke is unchanged in the silent versions, but you guys like the clack sound on the upstroke?

^ This meditation busts through the ego’s littleness and opens you up to your inner awesomeness and faithful intuition, through the feeling of oneness with cup rubber.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline iri

« Reply #196 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 04:31:17 »
I can relate to the sore knuckles. I had been using a Das Ultimate with browns for 2.5 years. At the end of a long day at my keyboard, my knuckles ached. I mean some days it was downright painful.
because you were doing it wrong.

Either way, you will have less joint pain coming from Cherry MX.
wrong. it's not necessary for a typist to bottom out on cherry mx. on the contrary, it's impossible to avoid bottoming out on topre, unless it's 30g. that's why a person with finger joint issues (and who can type properly on cherry mx switches) will experience less pain on cherries. or no pain at all. especially on the brown switch.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #197 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 04:33:54 »
for topre fanboys like brocaps or whoever, who could again make unreasonable conclusion that i hate topre: i typed ^this and <this on my realforce board.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 04:57:27 »
I can relate to the sore knuckles. I had been using a Das Ultimate with browns for 2.5 years. At the end of a long day at my keyboard, my knuckles ached. I mean some days it was downright painful.
because you were doing it wrong.

Either way, you will have less joint pain coming from Cherry MX.
wrong. it's not necessary for a typist to bottom out on cherry mx. on the contrary, it's impossible to avoid bottoming out on topre, unless it's 30g. that's why a person with finger joint issues (and who can type properly on cherry mx switches) will experience less pain on cherries. or no pain at all. especially on the brown switch.

I'm flattered that you troll me. Please don't stop. It makes me feel better than you.

Offline iri

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 05:59:11 »
16282-0

-Ray Bradbury