Author Topic: Is it weird to bring my own keyboard to a new job?  (Read 73112 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Is it weird to bring my own keyboard to a new job?
« Reply #400 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 21:43:41 »
I was in an open area. Lol. Rock it until someone tells you otherwise if you like that board.

Unless you work in a place with others who will keep their dislike to themselves and gradually nurture silent feelings of hatred towards you, until one day armageddon! :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #401 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 10:39:01 »
I ended up bringing one of my SSKs into the open office.  Like the other M I had at work before, it's grease-modded so noise is quite tame for an M.  So far, no one has complained.  :)
Russ

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #402 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 10:57:26 »
I have my custom Filco MJ2 at my desk right now, and it's received many compliments from my co-workers. I plan on replacing it with a Realforce 87u silent in the near future.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #403 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 11:42:42 »
It would be EXTREMELY weird to being in your own keyboard, especially if it doesn't match your shoes.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #404 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 12:43:22 »
I regularly brought in my FC660M to my internship. And except for my supervisor, who liked it, nobody really cared.
Brought the Orion TKL last week. People were asking me if I was a gamer and were surprised about the weight. :P
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #405 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 13:31:19 »
Nope. At my previous job all they had were super cheap membrane keyboards *shivers in disgust*

Offline rush340

« Reply #406 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 20:05:01 »
A lot of people at my previous job brought their own keyboard.  Once a few people brought their mech keyboards and let others try them out, it spread pretty quickly.

Offline orihalcon

« Reply #407 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 20:29:18 »
Never hurts to be unique!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #408 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 23:33:56 »
It would be EXTREMELY weird to being in your own keyboard, especially if it doesn't match your shoes.

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #409 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 20:06:04 »
I've used that keyboard. I got my first new-make mechanical keyboard and brought it to work not long after I started there. A lot of people bring keyboards, if anyone asks and you feel weird about it, tell them your doctor said you should.
GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #410 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 08:55:25 »
Haha, good thread. I brought my old Das w/ Browns at work to replace the same Dell keyboard you posted.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #411 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 09:36:28 »
It's not weird to be fkin too cool for school.

Take sh1t from no one. You type faster than them anyway. Anytime they try to talk about board, just hipster the sh1t out of the conversation.

-"Oh why is your keyboard this weird?"
"Shut the hell up you basic rubber-dome ***g0t it's underground sh1t you obviously never heard of."
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
« Reply #412 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 14:10:08 »
I recently acquired an internship in the IS field at a large private corporation and am currently using this garbage keyboard:
More
Show Image

Since I'm just an intern I'm still going through training and not really contributing much so I don't feel like I'm a real part of "the team" yet. Would it be weird for me to bring in my own keyboard? No one in my department has brought in their own keyboard, they're all using the corporate assigned Dell L100. I work full time at this corporation.

Throw. That. Piece. Of. Garbage. Out. A. Window. Immediately.

Bring your own is how my school works. If I don't like the equipment I'm encouraged to bring my own superior components for personal use. If anything people will be jealous of your cool gadgets. If you don't mind a few stares because nobody knows what it is, go for it. Whatever mechanical you have will feel better than the oddly shaped Dell POS there. It hurts me to type on it.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #413 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 15:55:21 »
I use my own personal Model M and Logitech G400 at work. I need to be comfortable, efficient, and happy since I spend the most time at a computer while at work. The freebie crap keyboards and mice we have in abundance in the office are less than craptastic. Hell, I even brought in 2 of my broken office chairs from home and frankensteined the parts together to form one ultimate sitting experience. :D
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #414 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 19:52:18 »
I have witnessed it a couple of times already. And not just from people that you would consider "keyboard enthusiasts".

I have seen people bring in and replace not only keyboards, but monitors and mice as well. I do not see a problem with it. What employer would want to discourage his employees trying to be comfortable and productive?

I work in different locations and have a keyboard everywhere. Typically, no one mentions anything if you do not use a keyboard that stands out in the way it looks or sounds. My realforce do neither really. The only thing people ever respond to is when they spot the hard to read black on black dye sub. I wanted to get black on beige for the office to make it blend in, but happened to stumble on only black on black in classifieds each time.

Some might think it is a little crazy to invest in a keyboard to use at work, and pay even more money, like the keyboards you have at home are not expensive enough. Though personally I think it makes sense. I spend a good 8-10 hours of every weekday behind the desk at work. I get more typing done there than I do at home (or at least as much). So to me it makes all the sense in the world to invest in a work keyboard. You buy it once, and from then on it is what you will be using for years and years to come. You may only need to buy a few over your entire career, and in return you can always have a pleasurable typing experience for the rest of your life. To me that is easily worth it. Especially if the keyboards you use at work are a particularly heinous ISO layout, short left shift, sticky coating, slow-to-rise-when-bottomed-out, kind of Hewlett Packard keyboard. The fact that I have used ANSI my entire life, and most workplaces in Holland use ISO is reason enough for me.

One tip for work. If you know a model of keyboard that you like. Try to get a used second hand one with some wear and tear. It may no longer look as pretty, but it can typically be used for many, many more years. It is a good way to get good value out of a work keyboard where you do not care what it looks like anyway.

« Last Edit: Thu, 14 August 2014, 20:03:29 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline maatmouse

« Reply #415 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:31:04 »
No-one pays much attention in our place. We have the standard quiet as hell black rubber dome cheapo boards that came with the computers and one of our crowd has his little ten key less mini board because of his arm problems. One of the others on another team has a Cherry with a trackpad on it and that makes a bit of noise, but no-one seems to care.

I'm going to launch my Cherry MX Blue gold linear black baby on them this week. I'm tired of using a board that sounds 'dead'.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #416 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:46:32 »
all the keyboards outside of my area were replaced by (not sure of the exact verbiage) a type of keyboard that is sealed if spilled on, can be easily disinfected, germ free, etc., etc.

they are some sort of dell or hewlett packard rubber dome............absolutely horrible :(

i type on my luga g80 with reds or believe it or not a dell quiet key, but to answer your question the staff are not allowed to bring in peripherals, etc.

it IS NOT weird to bring in and want to use your own keyboard, etc.

i would say and i could care less about what anybody thinks it is weird not to.
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline WakeMeIPlan

• Micro Baby, Micro.
    • United Kingdom Box plots
« Reply #417 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 18:12:48 »
Bruh I carry my pure with me everywhere.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #418 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 18:20:22 »
Now the real question is - Is it weird to bring your own keyboard to computer science classes at college? :p

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #419 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 18:26:45 »
only if you're a lifeguard
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline WakeMeIPlan

• Micro Baby, Micro.
    • United Kingdom Box plots
« Reply #420 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 18:28:54 »
Now the real question is - Is it weird to bring your own keyboard to computer science classes at college? :p
I'm in a computer science class right now and I brought my board.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #421 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 00:21:52 »
Trained my colleagues to ignore my keyboard sounds long ago:

1. MX browns with thick PBT and o-rings.
2. Removed O-rings
3. Swapped to ABS caps.
4. Currently using MX blues with ABS caps.

But to answer your questions; no, it is never weird to bring your keyboard to work.

Offline uns211

« Reply #422 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 01:34:22 »
I'm in a computer science class right now and I brought my board.
My professors don't seem to care.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #423 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 02:05:05 »
To most people, a keyboard is a keyboard and they won't notice or say anything as long as it is not too loud and you do not dress it up in odd color keycaps. A trackball mouse, I found, will get a lot more attention and people asking you about it. It stands out a lot more and people are familiar with it. To most, it is something they remember from the past. Only in specific professions will people regularly use it.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #425 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 08:39:21 »
Not weird to bring it to work, but I think it's pretty weird to bring it to class. I have never brought a mech into any of my CS classes and probably never will.

Offline Data

« Reply #426 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 14:30:47 »
As an IT guy... I'd prefer if you at least run it by me first.  I'd probably be too interested in your sweet board to care.  We do allow people to bring in certain hardware from home, but you assume full responsibility for it.

Every shop/office is different.

Offline Altis

« Reply #427 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:14:03 »
I do get more looks if I bring in a keyboard that's clearly from 1990, but honestly, most people don't have the slightly clue when I use a non-company keyboard, unless it's particularly loud.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #428 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:33:19 »
Not only do I bring my own keyboards to work, I have keycaps, cases and any other accessory I intend to use on them shipped there.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #429 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:01:00 »
To most people, a keyboard is a keyboard and they won't notice or say anything as long as it is not too loud and you do not dress it up in odd color keycaps. A trackball mouse, I found, will get a lot more attention and people asking you about it. It stands out a lot more and people are familiar with it. To most, it is something they remember from the past. Only in specific professions will people regularly use it.
At my work, everyone noticed and commented on the RGB mods right away.

A few even noticed the triforce keycap.
Not only do I bring my own keyboards to work, I have keycaps, cases and any other accessory I intend to use on them shipped there.

Its weird every time I read about people receiving things at their work. At my old place my coworker got yelled at by four different people in three levels of management when he got something shipped to work (a tool he was using to do his job).

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #430 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:25:15 »
Are you me?

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #431 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 22:15:18 »

Its weird every time I read about people receiving things at their work. At my old place my coworker got yelled at by four different people in three levels of management when he got something shipped to work (a tool he was using to do his job).

True story - once, around Christmas time someone shipped a canoe - yes a full sized canoe, to the office. His reasoning was that it was a surprise for his wife, and therefore couldn't have it shipped to his house. This instituted a policy where any non-business items sent to the office were subject to inspection. Well, someone shipped something to some guy in Engineering - for whatever reason the box was deemed suspect, and was opened. Inside (again, true story) was a series of pictures and an...object. The object was used in special ways on a lady friend of this engineer, which was shown with photographic evidence. He was married, and therefore she couldn't send the package to his house. HR got involved. It was nuts. After that it got a heck of a lot harder to get a personal package shipped to the office.

Lucky for me, our manufacturing and shipping departments are run together. Because of my job I'm in pretty tight with the manufacturing team so I don't have any issues.

Are you me?

Here, here! This is the best way to operate. Having to wait to have something shipped, only to have to wait to bring it to work the next day is just too much waiting for me to take.

Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #432 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 01:49:38 »
For me it's more like nobody is at home during shipping hours unless I'm working from home that one day.

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #433 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 06:22:44 »

True story - once, around Christmas time someone shipped a canoe - yes a full sized canoe, to the office. His reasoning was that it was a surprise for his wife, and therefore couldn't have it shipped to his house. This instituted a policy where any non-business items sent to the office were subject to inspection. Well, someone shipped something to some guy in Engineering - for whatever reason the box was deemed suspect, and was opened. Inside (again, true story) was a series of pictures and an...object. The object was used in special ways on a lady friend of this engineer, which was shown with photographic evidence. He was married, and therefore she couldn't send the package to his house. HR got involved. It was nuts. After that it got a heck of a lot harder to get a personal package shipped to the office.

Lucky for me, our manufacturing and shipping departments are run together. Because of my job I'm in pretty tight with the manufacturing team so I don't have any issues.

I think every company I've worked for (quite a few) it's been standard to ship things to the office, everyone did it. Yesterday one of my coworkers was presented with a mystery box someone had shipped to the office. Considering we're just visiting this office and neither of us actually live in this state, it was pretty strange to have a box shipped there. No one complained.

Besides, opening someone else's mail is a federal crime. Dude should have reported them.
GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #434 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 09:01:10 »
As an IT guy... I'd prefer if you at least run it by me first.  I'd probably be too interested in your sweet board to care.  We do allow people to bring in certain hardware from home, but you assume full responsibility for it.

I would be annoyed if the IT guy expected me to ask his permission to bring any peripherals with me from home.
c h e r

Offline silas1128

« Reply #435 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 10:21:15 »
For me it's more like nobody is at home during shipping hours unless I'm working from home that one day.

This is why my shipping and mailing address is still my dad's place even though its half an hour away (he runs a small business). That way I don't get notes from UPS because no one was here, or risk my package sitting outside.

On topic though, I didn't have to worry about bringing a board. There were a couple model M's already there to type on.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #436 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 12:32:29 »

I would be annoyed if the IT guy expected me to ask his permission to bring any peripherals with me from home.

In heavily regulated environments or ones where security is an above-average concern, plugging unauthorized USB devices is pretty commonly something to check with IT about. I think in many situations it's an antiquated concern, but in others not so much. I'd be uneasy about allowing people to plug their own hardware into a nuclear control system, for example.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #437 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 13:52:35 »

In heavily regulated environments or ones where security is an above-average concern, plugging unauthorized USB devices is pretty commonly something to check with IT about. I think in many situations it's an antiquated concern, but in others not so much. I'd be uneasy about allowing people to plug their own hardware into a nuclear control system, for example.

Ok, I can understand it from that perspective.
c h e r

Offline yomammary

« Reply #438 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 14:52:19 »

Yeah, honestly we don't do that.

I see... You guys work in fancy places. ;D
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 September 2014, 14:54:10 by yomammary »
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #439 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 14:26:56 »
Just started a new job last week.

IT said we can request peripherals from them... took one glance at the membrane keyboards they offered, and I told them I'd pass.

About to bring in a Poker (DSA Retro w/ Green Tex case) into work on Monday. I don't think it'll be a big deal, nor will it be weird.

I work in consulting, so the travel is about 80% of the time, I will be bringing the keyboard with me while I travel as well. Probably a 75% though.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #440 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 20:48:04 »
Just started a new job last week.

IT said we can request peripherals from them... took one glance at the membrane keyboards they offered, and I told them I'd pass.

About to bring in a Poker (DSA Retro w/ Green Tex case) into work on Monday. I don't think it'll be a big deal, nor will it be weird.

I work in consulting, so the travel is about 80% of the time, I will be bringing the keyboard with me while I travel as well. Probably a 75% though.

Can you request any peripheral (keyboard) from them?  Or only ones they officially sanction?

You could try showing them your Poker, and asking if they would make them available for everyone (noting that not many people would necessarily want one, so they would probably not end up buying expensive keyboards for all users).