Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Love  (Read 437023 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: HHKB Pro 2 Love
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 01:02:06 »
That first pic - those colours ... those textures ... that smoothness ... wow!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 01:06:36 »
I think that first pic may have just sold me on a black hhkb.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 03:22:10 »

Yeha ~ I've said it in a bunch of other threads too: It seems the White HHKB P2's with stock blanks are by far the more popular choice, but I personally find that a Black HHKB P2 with white caps are the best looking (also a red esc makes it look damn good) :D Too bad, getting those four colors on there costs a fortune :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 03:33:58 »

Yeha ~ I've said it in a bunch of other threads too: It seems the White HHKB P2's with stock blanks are by far the more popular choice, but I personally find that a Black HHKB P2 with white caps are the best looking (also a red esc makes it look damn good) :D Too bad, getting those four colors on there costs a fortune :))

Heh 4 sets of keycaps to extract one keycap from each set.  Yikes!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 03:39:00 »

o2dazone dyed 3 of the 4 colors your see on the black HHKB. Only one of them is from a RF set.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 03:45:37 »

o2dazone dyed 3 of the 4 colors your see on the black HHKB. Only one of them is from a RF set.

Oh wow... That is absolutely awesome! If only I knew how, and had the resources... or the blank white caps to dye... :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 05:03:41 »

That's not quite as bad then.  Otherwise I was going to say ...

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 11:14:35 »

Oh wow... That is absolutely awesome! If only I knew how, and had the resources... or the blank white caps to dye... :))

Yeah, RF sets are rather expensive to be experimenting with. But o2dazone has a guide on how to do it somewhere in this forum.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 11:18:18 »

Yeah, RF sets are rather expensive to be experimenting with. But o2dazone has a guide on how to do it somewhere in this forum.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27237.0

also

imav

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=4962.0

and

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40222.25

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 16:11:05 »
There's some awesome consistency in those threads.  Other threads seem to show random inconsistencies, which would be a total bummer with expensive HHKB keycaps.

Offline gnusosa

• λかわいいよλ
    • http://log.gnusosa.net
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 16:40:13 »
Here's my unmodified one.

| - Realforce 87U Tenkeyless | - HHKB Pro 2| - HHKB Lite 2 | All keyboards on Colemak. | Emacs for every task!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 16:57:13 »

Yeaaah. This is absolutely my favorite picture of a HHKB2 from o2dazone. I might have to try to find some white caps and so try it out, even if if it means having to buy HHKB set from EK.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27237.0

also

imav

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=4962.0

and

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40222.25

Thank you for those links! It really is informative :D

Offline morpheus

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 10:43:54 »
I think my muscle memory is still struggling with HHKB 2. It's been harder than most boards for some reason....

I love the feeling and tactility but it's a tad bit hard to access arrows and backspace, which are some of my most used keys.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 11:52:10 »
What if I told you that you just need to give it more time, morpheus?  :p

Offline morpheus

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 12:21:00 »

Well played sir, well played.

I mean I'll probably get used to it soon. I'm typing this on it right now, but it's definitely not as smooth as my FC660C.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 12:44:24 »

I mean I'll probably get used to it soon. I'm typing this on it right now, but it's definitely not as smooth as my FC660C.

I take it you prefer the FC660C to the HHKB then?

Have you had any key cap fade problems with your keyboard also :P?

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 13:57:59 »

Can you elaborate on what you mean by smooth? Is it that they are more scratchy, or that they have more pop?
87u || Poker 2

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 15:07:19 »

As for me, I liked my FC660C quite well, but after getting the HHKB Pro 2, I found that I preferred the true 60% form factor, layout, and two-tone dye-sub PBT keycaps of the HHKB Pro 2.

I started to notice wear on the lettering of some of the keycaps on the FC660C right away. This should not be a problem with the HHKB Pro 2, because of the dye-sub PBT keycaps. I also have an IBM Model M and IBM SSK; these have dye-sub PBT keycaps, and although these boards are over 20 years old, the keycaps look brand new.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 19:53:41 »

Can you elaborate on what you mean by smooth? Is it that they are more scratchy, or that they have more pop?

It just flows a lot easier, as I can type faster with more accuracy. The key switches seem to be lighter and feel like they are lubricrated. Also, the standard layout makes it easier for me because of muscle memory.

Currently I prefer the FC660C, but I really wanna give the HHKB a shot. Yes, the keycaps on the FC660C are faded, I can barely see some of the keys. However, I can touch type on those because it has the standard layout, so it's not a huge problem for me. The keys on the HHKB are absolutely stunning and I don't think they will ever wear out. I'm gonna take a couple weeks to get used to it, so let's hope it can live up to the hype.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2013, 19:56:15 by morpheus »

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 20:08:48 »
Ordered my HHKB on Valentine's Day of this year. We're still going strong. It's a love that's meant to last a lifetime.

(Attachment Link)

<3

I just wanted to say, this is the most beautiful keyboard I have ever seen. I've been coming back and looking at this picture for days now. It is just perfect. I normally hate blanks because I think they make the board look unfinished, but not this one. I don't know what it is, but that black arrow cluster and the black FN key are really making it work. I have decided that I will have that keyboard, it is just a matter of time.
87u || Poker 2

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 20:31:08 »
Ordered my HHKB on Valentine's Day of this year. We're still going strong. It's a love that's meant to last a lifetime.

(Attachment Link)

<3

I just wanted to say, this is the most beautiful keyboard I have ever seen. I've been coming back and looking at this picture for days now. It is just perfect. I normally hate blanks because I think they make the board look unfinished, but not this one. I don't know what it is, but that black arrow cluster and the black FN key are really making it work. I have decided that I will have that keyboard, it is just a matter of time.

You should , typing on topre will change your life

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline 127001

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 20:33:48 »
I just order a black, un-printed HHBK... hope I'm not disappointed. Hope it can stand up against my IBMs...

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 21:07:53 »

(Attachment Link)

<3

You should , typing on topre will change your life

I have an FC660C. It's alright I guess.
87u || Poker 2

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 23:59:20 »
I just order a black, un-printed HHBK... hope I'm not disappointed. Hope it can stand up against my IBMs...

A Model M will crush the little HHKB ;)

I switch between them, and they are just different.  I prefer both - Model M for when I want to type hard and loud, and HHKB for almost everything else.

Offline SNF

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 04:09:23 »
HHKB is a great keyboard

Congrats on the new board

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 08:30:20 »

I switch between them, and they are just different.  I prefer both - Model M for when I want to type hard and loud, and HHKB for almost everything else.

I do the same, although I moved from a full-size Model M to and IBM SSK. They are both masterpieces. I think the SSK is the best all around keyboard I have ever used. However, for now, I am mainly using my HHKB Pro 2 (black body with white and light gray lettered keycaps); this is mainly because of the 60% form factor, layout, and minimalist beauty of the HHKB Pro 2.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 16:29:59 »

I do the same, although I moved from a full-size Model M to and IBM SSK. They are both masterpieces. I think the SSK is the best all around keyboard I have ever used. However, for now, I am mainly using my HHKB Pro 2 (black body with white and light gray lettered keycaps); this is mainly because of the 60% form factor, layout, and minimalist beauty of the HHKB Pro 2.

I'd love an SSK!   My desk at home is not very big, and the M overwhelms it.  Complete contrast to the HHKB.

At the moment I dug my old Ducky Shine out to use that, but I am missing the other two.

Dunno whether to switch back to the HHKB or try the Model M again.

Offline thirdkind

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 21:11:55 »

Thanks :) I've seen a lot of flashy (and pretty awesome) keyboards since signing up here, but I prefer the understated beauty that comes with purely functional enhancements. The black keys make the Fn and arrow keys stand out, which is what I needed when I first got the HHKB. I could probably do without them now, but I've really grown to like how it looks. The red Esc key is probably about as flashy as it'll get.

I just need to pick up a smaller wrist rest now from EK. The medium sized one is perfect for a tenkeyless board like the Filco I used to have (also in the photo), but it's too big for a 60% board.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 00:19:59 »
This thread is dangerous........ makes you do things....... that's all I'm going to say.......... :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 October 2013, 00:34:39 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 00:36:49 »
This thread is dangerous........ makes you do things....... that's all I'm going to say.......... :'( :'( :'(

does it make you touch yourself at night?

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 00:39:30 »

:-[ :-[ :-[ Something worse... But I'll tell you what would make me touch myself at night... Some Brobot V2s on me thorpe ;) Hopefully not too soon though... I literally have no spending money right now :)) Don'chu do that to me, bro.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 00:51:09 »

Hopefully not too soon though... I literally have no spending money right now :)) Don'chu do that to me, bro.

You have a little bit of time ;)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 00:57:28 »

Hopefully not too soon though... I literally have no spending money right now :)) Don'chu do that to me, bro.

You have a little bit of time ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 00:52:19 »

No because both my hands are on my HHKB.

Offline Emospence

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:05:07 »
Are the diamond keys not supposed to act as Windows keys on Windows? Mine don't..

All my dip switches are off.
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:16:59 »
Are the diamond keys not supposed to act as Windows keys on Windows? Mine don't..

I thought they were Alt keys under Windows?

But there again I only use my HHKB on a Mac, where they are Command keys (which is the Mac equivalent to Alt keys).

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:20:40 »

You have to turn on certain ones.

Offline Emospence

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 21:01:32 »

Would anyone happen to know which? :s

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 21:33:04 »

Would anyone happen to know which? :s

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=pfu_keyboards,hhkbpro2&pid=pdkb400b

there is a diagram of the dipswitch configuration on that page. you need to remove the small dipswitch panel to access them on the back of the HHKB

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 21:35:07 »
2 and 5 down the rest up is what i have. Make sure to unplug before changing.

Offline Emospence

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 22:17:37 »
So 4 down should make the meta key windows.. That's the diamond key right?

It doesn't work as windows for mine :/ Will try again when I get home.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 07:01:35 »
So 4 down should make the meta key windows.. That's the diamond key right?

It doesn't work as windows for mine :/ Will try again when I get home.

For some reason all the diagrams etc didn't seem to match up to what my HHKB was doing so I just had to trial and error to get it to work the way I wanted it to. Or I'm not smart enough to read the diagram properly which is entirely possible.

Again make sure you unplug the keyboard before changing the dip switches or it wont' recognize the changes.

Just try what I posted above 2 and 5 down and the rest up see if that gets you what your after!!

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 08:05:11 »
The back of a HHKB has the dip switch settings on it.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 12:12:55 »
Can't wait for my(first) HHKB to arrive :D Have a strong feeling I will like it. Will post impressions!
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 12:38:21 »
Can't wait for my(first) HHKB to arrive :D Have a strong feeling I will like it. Will post impressions!

I'm waiting for mine too at the moment. It's in transit!! So excited :D

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 12:51:35 »
Me too!! I am waiting on a white Type-S with printed keycaps. Already having buyer's remorse about whether I should have gone for the blanks but I figured I shouldn't overestimate my abilities on my first 60%!!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 22:57:32 »
Add me to the list of me too; waiting for the HHKB which will arrive next week. I opted for Black with black font (not blank).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:37:40 »
Me too!! I am waiting on a white Type-S with printed keycaps. Already having buyer's remorse about whether I should have gone for the blanks but I figured I shouldn't overestimate my abilities on my first 60%!!

You can always buy a set of blank keycaps later on (and sell the original set here to recoup some costs).

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 00:14:30 »

You can always buy a set of blank keycaps later on (and sell the original set here to recoup some costs).
Good idea :) blank hhkb's just look so sleek.

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 18:11:05 »
Just had this come in the mail!

From a friend in Japan where the price difference between pro 2 and type-s is much smaller :)

As much as I love the sound of the normal topre switches (FC660C in my case), the type-s is very satisfying to type on. The whole experience feels tighter when you don't have the upstroke sounds. The biggest gain is the spacebar, which makes a hell of a noise on my FC660C, but is beautifully uniform sounding on this.

Also surprised at how good these 45g domes feel after using 55g for the last few months!

Now to learn this layout...

HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP