Author Topic: must... resist... topre  (Read 41727 times)

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
must... resist... topre
« on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:54:05 »
I literally just got my Filco Minila with browns and love it. Now that I own buckling and cherry; I cannot stop reading and youtubing about Topre and need the HHKB Pro 2 to finish my last keyboarding frontier.

I feel like a bridge jumper standing on the ledge. I'm literally on elitekeyboards.com and all it takes is hitting submit......

-30 seconds later- I just submitted to the submission of the submit button.

white/gray, non-printed

happy fingers=sad savings account.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:38:24 by unicomp_uc »
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
Re: must... resist... topre
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:55:55 »
If only it was the end of it all ... pfff you ain't seen nothing yet! Go look for new keycaps for all your boards at least!  :p
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:57:44 »
Nice collection youre gathering there :)
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:02:20 »
Remember that you also need a standard RF, a silenced RF, a variable silenced RF and a 55g RF.

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:07:35 »
If only it was the end of it all ... pfff you ain't seen nothing yet! Go look for new keycaps for all your boards at least!  :p

I wanted to with the Minila but I want a complete set and the funky spacebar (which is a non-issue for typing) becomes a real PIA for key swaps.
My next mod will be to swap for blanks on the Uni once I decide on my color combinations. I kept it simple and clean with the HHKB (for now at least)... I limited the key swap to a blank red PBT escape key.

Nice collection youre gathering there :)

Thank you kind sir! Is it bad that there is shame and guilt mixed in with excitement and anticipation? lol

Remember that you also need a standard RF, a silenced RF, a variable silenced RF and a 55g RF.

No, you are the devil and I rebuke thee. I must stop..... at least until christmas.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:12:12 by unicomp_uc »
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Offline SNF

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:10:29 »
The addiction is strong but it's worth it  :thumb:

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:31:44 »
I literally just got my Filco Minila with browns and love it. Now that I own buckling and cherry; I cannot stop reading and youtubing about Topre and need the HHKB Pro 2 to finish my last keyboarding fronteir.

I feel like a bridge jumper standing on the ledge. I'm literally on elitekeyboards.com and all it takes is hitting submit......

white/gray, non-printed

I commend you on your astute purchases!  You really did a great job of keyboard collecting with only 3 keyboards.  IMO your keyboard collection is virtually complete right now.  You have three of the best keyboards available, Unicomp BS, Filco Minila, and HHKB Pro 2 with Blanks.  Any keyboards you add now will only be gravy.  You have about 80% of the keyboard universe covered.  The hard part now will be resisting the desire to fill in that last 20%.  But then again, you really do need a silenced HHKB, and a variable Topre RealForce.  So maybe you can stop at 5 keyboards.  ;)
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:43:05 »
I literally just got my Filco Minila with browns and love it. Now that I own buckling and cherry; I cannot stop reading and youtubing about Topre and need the HHKB Pro 2 to finish my last keyboarding fronteir.

white/gray, non-printed

I commend you on your astute purchases!  You really did a great job of keyboard collecting with only 3 keyboards.  IMO your keyboard collection is virtually complete right now.  You have three of the best keyboards available, Unicomp BS, Filco Minila, and HHKB Pro 2 with Blanks.  Any keyboards you add now will only be gravy.  You have about 80% of the keyboard universe covered.  The hard part now will be resisting the desire to fill in that last 20%.  But then again, you really do need a silenced HHKB, and a variable Topre RealForce.  So maybe you can stop at 5 keyboards.  ;)

Man, that's a really nice compliment. I appreciate it. This site has so much great information that it makes it hard to make a bad/uninformed decision. It was my goal to get a sampling of the best from each of the commonplace switch varieties. It's really nice to be apart of the community here.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:46:21 »
Really, if we had as much customization in Buckling Spring and Topre as there is with MX, I think MX would go the way of Alps.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:51:24 »
Good decission to buy that blank white hhkb  :thumb: If I wouldn't have already spent so much money on clacks and ibm stuff in the last weeks, I also would have bought that white hhkb in addition to my black one.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:57:46 »
Resistance is futile.  Where is your Korean custom with aluminum case?  What about non stock cherry spring/switch combos like ergo clears and 55g whites?  What about the two kinds of alps switches from matias?  What about capacitive bucking springs?  Have you even seen the ergo dox yet?  My advice is to stop now while you still can before it destroys you life.  If you don't a year from now you'll be selling yourself for click clacks.
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:58:34 »
Good decission to buy that blank white hhkb  :thumb: If I wouldn't have already spent so much money on clacks and ibm stuff in the last weeks, I also would have bought that white hhkb in addition to my black one.

Yea, in my humble, personal opinion; the white/gray non-printed is the sleekest looking but the black with switched out white/gray caps with legends looks sick. It's just hard to justify spending $260 and then another $80 for the keys.

If I didn't already have that color combo with my Uni; I would have been tempted to go that route.

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 15:01:27 »
Resistance is futile.  Where is your Korean custom with aluminum case?  What about non stock cherry spring/switch combos like ergo clears and 55g whites?  What about the two kinds of alps switches from matias?  What about capacitive bucking springs?  Have you even seen the ergo dox yet?  My advice is to stop now while you still can before it destroys you life.  If you don't a year from now you'll be selling yourself for click clacks.

lmao... yes I am aware of all these gems from lurking here for so long but hopefully with having one of each of the main switches; I can move on to enjoying the products instead of yearning for more.... probably not going to happen though  :rolleyes:

Offline nuttun

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 15:16:35 »
I'm in the same situation as you. I look at my cart everyday for the past 2 weeks with a HHKB white blank in it. I try my best to talk myself out of it, but I always end up going back to it.

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 15:21:37 »
I'm in the same situation as you. I look at my cart everyday for the past 2 weeks with a HHKB white blank in it. I try my best to talk myself out of it, but I always end up going back to it.

Do it man... I'm telling you, I feel so much better now that the anguish of back and forth is done. If you don't like it you can always resell it back on here.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2013, 15:35:05 by unicomp_uc »

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 15:55:37 »

Do it! Do it! Do it! :D

Offline Tony

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 17:00:23 »
Keyboard addiction is bad as any kind of addiction. We all become octopus with so many keyboards
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 17:35:03 »
To everyone on the fence about the HHKB: It is very worth while.

Best keyboard I have ever owned. 660C is a better option if you need arrows though.
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline SNF

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 21:52:50 »
I agree with most people here about the HHKB being a fantastic keyboard.

Best topre experience I've ever had  :thumb:

Offline Tempiz

• Buckling Springs <3
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 21:54:45 »
Congrats on the new purchase! I have not gotten a topre yet, but most likely will in the future after exploring MX!
I cant be separated from my Model M

Offline Emospence

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 22:00:23 »
I'm turning to the dark side of the (real)force myself when my local retailer stocks up on some 55g TKLs.
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 22:03:27 »
happy fingers

Don't be sad if both your fingers and wallet regret this. I got into the Topre hype until the rabid fanboys proved that it's just hype and it's not really much better than a rubber dome in the first place.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 22:12:27 »
I'd love to try a thorpe but I just can't leave my Cherry legends behind, they're just so pretty!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Tempiz

• Buckling Springs <3
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 22:44:54 »
I'd love to try a thorpe but I just can't leave my Cherry legends behind, they're just so pretty!

This is like me and my buckling springs. I dont want to move on.
I cant be separated from my Model M

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 22:47:20 »
Strong, in this one, the Geekhack spirit is.

And if you don't like HHKB you can sell it here for pretty much what it cost you, and mark the small difference down to experience.

But do please give yourself a week or two to get used to the Thorpe switches and also the layout before you make a final decision.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 23:03:50 »
happy fingers

Don't be sad if both your fingers and wallet regret this. I got into the Topre hype until the rabid fanboys proved that it's just hype and it's not really much better than a rubber dome in the first place.

huehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue
huehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehu
ehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehueh
uehuehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehue
huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehu
ehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuhe
uheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehu
huehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehueh
uehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue
huehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehue
huehuehuehuehuehuehuhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue huhuehuheuheuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehu
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2013, 23:08:31 by Bro Caps »

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 23:12:59 »
happy fingers

hmm....
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 23:24:15 »
happy fingers

hmm....

Don't worry, he likes to spread his hate of all things in places where nobody couldn't care any less about his opinion.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2013, 23:32:14 by Bro Caps »

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 23:35:47 »
One of the main things that led me to deciding I wanted to order the HHKB is that everyone is so divided on both the switch and the practicality of the keyboard. I really wanted to be able to answer the question for myself.

Like many have said, it is the keyboard equivalent to a Honda in the US... resale will not be a long or costly venture if I absolutely hate it. I just highly doubt I will. I understand it takes a few weeks to let the keys break in and will give it time on the format. I'm actually looking forward to it being somewhat alien as I am trying to teach myself html and python languages from free stuff on the internet for a fun side hobby so I won't be moving at a fast clip with the function keys anyway. I know absolutely nothing about coding so I look forward to the experience on a new board. I got the blanks because I may want to learn a different layout other than QWERTY in the future- but I haven't decided if I'd want to take that on or not yet.

Either way, I email for work from home all day long and write papers for night and online classes; so I will get good use out of it either way. Plus I've always switched boards in and out to keep the monotony from setting in... I've just gone from switching out crappy generic keyboards to Filco's, Unicomps & HHKB's. "Started from the bottom now we here"- Drake  :cool: lol

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 23:41:02 »

And if you don't like HHKB you can sell it here for pretty much what it cost you, and mark the small difference down to experience.

But do please give yourself a week or two to get used to the Thorpe switches and also the layout before you make a final decision.

Thanks for the advise... I read a lot of your posts on Topre that helped reach my decision to try it out. Great stuff

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 00:30:39 »

Thanks for the advise... I read a lot of your posts on Topre that helped reach my decision to try it out. Great stuff

I'm using my HHKB now, although on the Mac I don't miss the arrow keys as much as I did under Windows.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 00:39:05 »
I use windows and will be interested to see how quickly I'll adjust. The Filco has great 'ESDF' fn layer integration arrows instead of 'WASD' and since I'm not a gamer; it hasn't been an adjustment and I think it's more efficient since it lines up directly under the left function, but I'm sure I'll be able to eventually get used to the '[;'/' arrows.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 00:58:06 »
The keyboard gods are smiling as we speak.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 01:23:13 »

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 06:01:05 »
Let the topre take over you

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 13:36:45 »
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 16:40:14 »
Really, if we had as much customization in Buckling Spring and Topre as there is with MX, I think MX would go the way of Alps.

Becoming the most underratted switch ever?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 21:42:13 »
Which? Bs or topre?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 07:48:18 »
MX
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 07:57:44 »
MX

For once I agree with you. All these fools staining their underwear over a switch that feels marginally better than a standard rubber dome board. Part of me still thinks it's just some inside joke here on GH à la Cherry MY.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 07:58:19 »
inb4 Topre Therapy thread
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 08:31:47 »
happy fingers

MX

For once I agree with you. All these fools staining their underwear over a switch that feels marginally better than a standard rubber dome board. Part of me still thinks it's just some inside joke here on GH à la Cherry MY.

My my. So much hate.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 09:22:47 »
Sorry if you guys read me wrong, but I was saying that Alps is an underrated switch. Moose said that MX could go the way of the alps.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Polymer

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 09:52:30 »
Alps has always been a very good feeling switch...to me they had issues w/ keycap stability and mainly reliability...Matias has come out with a pretty good Alps version...hopefully going to see more of that..

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 10:30:51 »
MX

What did you expect to find in this thread? "Hey guys, I just bought a new keyboard... Ya, I know, it's topre so it's gonna suck, but I wanted to get one to see how dumb those losers that enjoy their stupid, high priced boards wrongly rave about."

I enjoy the differences between BS and Mx and I'm sure I'll appreciate the differences Topre will bring.

Food for thought: Almost all Topre owners started out with an Mx board and many still own them. The ones that own/have owned both almost unanimously prefer their Topre boards. What separates them from Mx diehards is that they limit the location of where they post their preference to pro Topre threads. I have not read very many Topre threads in the archive over the past few months that don't have some sad Mx troll walking the proverbial halls looking for attention. For that reason alone; I'm glad to be associated with Topre owners.

Get out of my thread. I suggest you start a "I hate topre" thread and you and your disrespectful cohorts can have a nice cozy home to play in.

« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2013, 10:33:26 by unicomp_uc »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:38:02 »

<3
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:58:44 »

<3

Alps switches are good, but there's not a lot of caps for them and the board selection is pretty limited.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 13:29:32 »

<3

Perhaps we just need to wait for those Topre patents to expire... How long could it take?

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 13:32:56 »
It took at least a decade for the patents on the original Nintendo Entertainment System to expire, so logically it would take at least that long for a Topre clone to come about. Anyone know a Japanese patent lawyer?  :p

Unless of course some enterprising company comes up with a deal to license the technology, but that would probably still be prohibitively expensive.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 13:54:46 »
It took at least a decade for the patents on the original Nintendo Entertainment System to expire, so logically it would take at least that long for a Topre clone to come about. Anyone know a Japanese patent lawyer?  :p

Unless of course some enterprising company comes up with a deal to license the technology, but that would probably still be prohibitively expensive.

But how cheap can a clone get without compromising feel? The electronics would have to be simplified much further than Topre currently is, and then you have to take into account the cost of the premium cup rubber, the springs, and the keycaps especially if they were to use PBT too like most Topre boards. The fact that clones probably aren't going to be mass produced either makes me think that the cost of a decent Topre clone will be pretty close in price to a real Topre keyboard.