Author Topic: Topre switch w/ MX Compatible Stem.....  (Read 115989 times)

Offline tbc

Re: Topre switch w/ MX Compatible Stem.....
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 00:39:53 »
that's why limited edition?

they KNOW we would find those boards even without a marketing effort from them.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #201 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 00:42:17 »
There is no business sense in selling to just a niche community. CM will, as always, provide a cool product at an affordable price that will have mass appeal. That makes business sense.

Offline tbc

« Reply #202 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 01:04:21 »
yet, we know they're openly willing to experiment.

remember that giant oddly shaped metal CM board?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #203 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 02:31:20 »
Sorry, but Can won't be selling or making a keyboard that is that expensive. Sure, it may still appeal to us enthusiasts, but most potential buyers would scoff at a $200+ price tag.

Do you know how much CM Storm Mech costs around here? €150. It's not even the most expensive keyboard in the market. Hell, people buy Logitech G19 and MadCatz S.T.R.I.K.E. 7...

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #204 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 06:21:55 »
There is no business sense in selling to just a niche community. CM will, as always, provide a cool product at an affordable price that will have mass appeal. That makes business sense.

Mechanical keyboards are a niche market already.  Topre is a niche inside this niche.  But I would almost be willing to bet my Thanksgiving week paycheck (108 hours worth of straight pay) that if these were made available with GMK caps at a production run on 1000 units they would sell out quickly.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #205 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 13:44:52 »
Sorry, but Can won't be selling or making a keyboard that is that expensive. Sure, it may still appeal to us enthusiasts, but most potential buyers would scoff at a $200+ price tag.

Do you know how much CM Storm Mech costs around here? €150. It's not even the most expensive keyboard in the market. Hell, people buy Logitech G19 and MadCatz S.T.R.I.K.E. 7...

I can safely assume most of Cooler Master sales are within the USA and that's where the price is right.

Mechanical keyboards are a niche market already.  Topre is a niche inside this niche.  But I would almost be willing to bet my Thanksgiving week paycheck (108 hours worth of straight pay) that if these were made available with GMK caps at a production run on 1000 units they would sell out quickly.

Mechanical keyboards are fast-becoming a not-so-niche market. Most people who own a mechanical keyboard don't even know "keyboard enthusiasts" exist. I think people here tend to overestimated the influence we have on vendors who produce keyboards. Yes, we can influence their design but not the target audience. The target audience of a smart business is the widest audience they can target...not a few hundred or even couple thousand of keyboard enthusiasts.

The reason why I don't think CM would bother with GMK keycaps is because the mass audience wouldn't know the difference nor would they care. Every normal person I've showed my keyboards and keycaps didn't really 'get it' as to why I would pay so much for mere keycaps. GMK keycaps would add over $55 (at least) to the cost of a keyboard. That $70 QFR would now be $130 = alienating most potential buyers.

Offline cobraj

« Reply #206 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 15:44:13 »

I can safely assume most of Cooler Master sales are within the USA and that's where the price is right.

Mechanical keyboards are fast-becoming a not-so-niche market. Most people who own a mechanical keyboard don't even know "keyboard enthusiasts" exist. I think people here tend to overestimated the influence we have on vendors who produce keyboards. Yes, we can influence their design but not the target audience. The target audience of a smart business is the widest audience they can target...not a few hundred or even couple thousand of keyboard enthusiasts.

The reason why I don't think CM would bother with GMK keycaps is because the mass audience wouldn't know the difference nor would they care. Every normal person I've showed my keyboards and keycaps didn't really 'get it' as to why I would pay so much for mere keycaps. GMK keycaps would add over $55 (at least) to the cost of a keyboard. That $70 QFR would now be $130 = alienating most potential buyers.

Yeah I agree.
I think as most people on GH already have the keysets which they want, it's probably better to just put the cheapest keycaps on the board, and then people who care can just swap them out?

Offline tbc

« Reply #207 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 16:17:53 »
^ looks at ivan's GBs

yep, everyone already has all the GMK they want.  explains the couple of hundred orders.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #208 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 16:23:56 »
Is it ****ty of me that I don't care about the board at all? I just want to be able to shoves these into a hhkb...
I hate everything.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #209 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 00:18:29 »
has the hype died down?
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #210 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 00:22:38 »
has the hype died down?

I think we're all still really eager for this, lack of new information has kind of killed the conversation though. C'mon Carter!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline cobraj

« Reply #211 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 00:33:50 »
has the hype died down?

I think we're all still really eager for this, lack of new information has kind of killed the conversation though. C'mon Carter!

Mate, I'm as excited as anything.
Got the bluest of balls :(

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #212 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 00:35:47 »
I just hope it comes out with a version without keycaps so I can use something better than thin gamer keys

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #213 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 00:36:44 »
I just hope it comes out with a version without keycaps so I can use something better than thin gamer keys
....are you dumb?
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 00:43:32 »

I would applaud CM if they didn't sell them with keycaps but even if they do or not....people will switch them out as soon as they get the board.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #215 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 01:13:04 »

I would applaud CM if they didn't sell them with keycaps but even if they do or not....people will switch them out as soon as they get the board.

Yeah, that's definitely the whole point xD

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #216 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 01:16:10 »
I guess I'll just swap em out too. But I just hope they go like wasd with the barebones option

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #217 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 01:53:59 »

We could always hope since they are going to all the trouble with the stems that they might actually have some decent caps...

Offline cobraj

« Reply #218 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 01:55:23 »

We could always hope since they are going to all the trouble with the stems that they might actually have some decent caps...

Haha true, but even then, everyone has their own unique preferences :P

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 07:14:28 »
PBT spacebars and I'll be happy.
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 07:25:25 »
has the hype died down?

Mate, I'm as excited as anything.
Got the bluest of balls :(

Me too man, me too. I really want to try Topre out but I've got a lot invested in my GMK caps now, being able to marry the two would be heaven!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #221 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 09:55:01 »
Also willing to buy one of these just to gut the stems into my hhkb (considering I would never own a cm-storm) where'd the details go :(
I hate everything.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #222 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 10:02:49 »
Also willing to buy one of these just to gut the stems into my hhkb (considering I would never own a cm-storm) where'd the details go :(
I think this was mostly just a tease of what's to come, my guess is with CES around the corner that we'll get a lot more details from them there.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #223 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 10:11:42 »
You know what would be awesome to complement that tkl....a numberpad with the same switches....but PLEASE make a 55g options!!!! :eek:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 10:17:22 »
Flyerfan1 has the right idea. Pretty sure in the mkawa interview/podcast, he said news or release was coming around CES 2014.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 06:56:44 »
Flyerfan1 has the right idea. Pretty sure in the mkawa interview/podcast, he said news or release was coming around CES 2014.
Hmm, I might delay my HHKB for now and see what Cm has in store. My birthday is in February So i can always ask for a Cm Quickfire Thopre

Until then i'm thinking a Poker 2 might suit my desires.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #226 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 09:14:58 »
These were posted on DT and confirmed to be from CM.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #227 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 09:22:18 »
Hell yeah, let the CES leaks begin! Can't wait to hear availability, I will definitely be putting money aside for these.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #228 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 09:24:24 »
This is too ****ing exciting. I've wanted to try Topre for a good while now, but things like keycap availability have held me back.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #229 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 09:26:35 »
ASDASFASASDASD!!!!!!11
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline dante

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 09:29:14 »
Will this mean EK's contract with Topre is going to expire soon?

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #231 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 09:45:39 »
Nice, very nice.  I'm definitely going to have to pick one of these up.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 09:51:41 »
It almost seems blasphemous seeing that CM font on Topre switches.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #233 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 09:54:15 »
It almost seems blasphemous seeing that CM font on Topre switches.

Considering the effort they've gone to with the MX compatibility I think they realise people will be swapping them out. Personally I'd love it if they did a cap less version.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 09:55:14 »
Looking forward to seeing the price tag.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #235 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 10:09:10 »
CES is going on in Vegas and I haven't seen or heard any CoolerMaster news or any other keyboard related stuff yet?? Whats up with that?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #236 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 10:16:20 »
CES is going on in Vegas and I haven't seen or heard any CoolerMaster news or any other keyboard related stuff yet?? Whats up with that?
I think the "Welcoming Party" is still going on right now and throughout today, while most of the major unveils will go on from the 7th to the 10th.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #237 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 10:18:37 »
Still want to see how the stabilizers are setup.......

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 10:29:14 »
I think the "Welcoming Party" is still going on right now and throughout today, while most of the major unveils will go on from the 7th to the 10th.

Yeah the first day is usually a trickle of leaks and tomorrow we'll start getting some hard info coming out.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #239 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 12:04:34 »
I want more pictures of the stabilizers!!!!!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #240 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 12:18:53 »
I want any pictures of the stabilizers!!!!!

FTFY

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #241 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 13:00:21 »
Give me a self-contained Topre switch that can be soldered on to a PCB, and I will probably sell everything I own to buy them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:21:58 »
This is getting better - standard TKL ANSI layout :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #243 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:23:34 »
I'll pimp this ish out in the same way I did to my QFR when I had it :D

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:29:21 »
need stab pics to see if it'll be possible to move these switches to hhkb
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #245 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:31:04 »
This is getting better - standard TKL ANSI layout :)

What were you expecting? :p

need stab pics to see if it'll be possible to move these switches to hhkb

I've got a feeling they won't be :(

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:35:19 »
me think you're correct
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #247 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:42:29 »
FMJ Topre Hyrbid Aluminum Case??? That'd be pretty sick. This board should help Topre go mainstream which will hopefully allow for more customization.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #248 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:43:24 »
me think you're correct

I'd like to be positive or whatever thats called....but lets be realistic....its a pipe dream.....

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #249 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:45:46 »

YES

IVE BEEN SAVING FOR THIS