Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Hate  (Read 55687 times)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: HHKB Pro 2 Hate
« Reply #300 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 13:08:17 »
oh ****.. I didnt even think of the backspace key.. I think thats why I like the leo more as well. I have switched the Dip switch so the caps and control are in the same position as hhkb. But I forgot on the hhkb the backspace is where my tiny \ | key is. Yeah I like the backspace on here. :)  Oh also the right shift key is normal on this leo...
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 March 2014, 13:20:44 by dustinhxc »

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #301 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 13:21:42 »
of course,initially hhkb for unix users no arrow keys :))
The material cases is PS no ABS :-X

Set your terminal into vim mode. Never look back.

Hmmmm, I forgot that option existed. I'm not a huge vim user but I might try it out.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #302 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 13:32:19 »

Hmmmm, I forgot that option existed. I'm not a huge vim user but I might try it out.

As much as I'm a huge vim freak, I can never get used to vim mode in bash. Ctrl-A/E, Alt-F/B and Ctrl-W are good enough for me.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #303 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 14:02:12 »

As much as I'm a huge vim freak, I can never get used to vim mode in bash. Ctrl-A/E, Alt-F/B and Ctrl-W are good enough for me.

As an Emacs user, I agree with you :)

Offline wharrislv

« Reply #304 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 17:20:09 »
Does lubing a HHKB work?  Do people wipe the springs down or something?  It seems like it shouldn't make sense, compared to lubing the switching mechanism in a cherry switch.
Current daily drivers : HHKB Pro 2, HHKB Lite in a server rack, A few Filco numpads in brown and blue, Pure Pro in Brown with Rainbow PBT, CM Ninja in Brown with white engaved PBTs, two Model Ms 89 and 91 with a few red esc, Ergodox full in clear with blanks, a jdcarpe built 40% awaiting some Round 6 keycaps, and soon a Gon custom.  Hundreds more on site at a mechanical friendly work site where I am the purchaser.  If it exists, I probably have used one!

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #305 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 17:22:02 »
People lube the sliders and slider housings.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #306 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 18:11:27 »
People lube the sliders and slider housings.

There is talk of that here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51403.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noons

« Reply #307 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 18:13:35 »
 I had one for about a month and then sold mine... Hate is a strong word since I didn't actually hate it, I just disliked the key placement. I primarily use my keyboard in a linux terminal and secondly gaming. My first major dislike was the placement of the arrow keys. I much would have preferred a poker placement ( hence where the gamer in me comes out ). WASD just feels natural for me when it comes to arrow keys. However it wasn't the arrow keys that did me in.. My last major gripe and the deal breaker was the placement of the backspace and the \| key. That proved to be a major issue esspecially after typing on it for a day then using my laptop for instance or using a terminal keyboard. I just made too many mistakes and by the time I would get used to it I would switch to or from it and it would mess me up all over again. I guess if I strictly used that keyboard I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more, however I wasn't about to pay the hefty pricetag for two nor was I going to carry it back and forth to work (people at work would think I was more crazy then they already do :P ).

All in all they keyboard did feel great, something about the missing plate that just made the thock that much more enjoyable. Although I ended up getting a leopold fc660c and personally I find it very reminiscent of how it felt typing on a HHKB. Is it worth the premium pricetag? No way no sir. Sorry, but the quality just doesnt say 260 dollars to me unlike the realforce I have used. Quality almost matches the fc660c for 100 dollars less.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 March 2014, 18:16:49 by noons »
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #308 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 19:11:25 »
There does seem to be very little HHKB actual hate around here.

Dislike, yes, often related to the layout.

But not actual hate.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #309 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 19:34:56 »

But not actual hate.
it's hard to have strong feelings about keyboards :))

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #310 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 19:35:48 »

But not actual hate.
Only about Novelty caps. :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #311 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 21:41:12 »

But not actual hate.

You must be new here ;)

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #312 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 22:19:43 »

But not actual hate.

Well that makes sense when you have more novelty keycaps than spaces to put them on :))
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #313 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 22:25:13 »

But not actual hate.

Well that makes sense when you have more novelty keycaps than spaces to put them on :))
:-*

Hue

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #314 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 22:29:22 »

But not actual hate.

:-*

Hue

I kid :-*
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #315 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 06:05:59 »
Recently I've been facing a huge problem caused by my HHKB: I can't stand "standard" keyboard layouts. The HHKB layout is just so freaking perfect, every time I used a keyboard that's not the same form factor, it just feels wrong. The control placement is just so prime, and the fn arrow keys are to die for...
;)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #316 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 09:29:08 »
Recently I've been facing a huge problem caused by my HHKB: I can't stand "standard" keyboard layouts. The HHKB layout is just so freaking perfect, every time I used a keyboard that's not the same form factor, it just feels wrong. The control placement is just so prime, and the fn arrow keys are to die for...

That's why so many people have more than one HHKB :D

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #317 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 10:27:18 »

That's why so many people have more than one HHKB :D

One for work, one for home, one for the tablet/laptop, etc...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #318 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:27:25 »

This is not HHKB hate :p