Author Topic: Nmb rt8255c+  (Read 6439 times)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Nmb rt8255c+
« on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 22:16:51 »
Just a $4 thrift shop find.

The general look was "Big slab with clicky switches".  I immediately thought "Damn... did I just find a Cherry blue board after ordering one for $65?"  The layout is "101 / F cross" -- small backspace but generally sensible.

No, it's not quote the same look.  There's a "pencil catcher" above the top row of keys.

The switches are the NMB space-invader type, with a click.  It's weird, in the click seems to occur well above of where you'd expect on a BS board.  I bought another old NMB mechanical, and it was tactile, not clicky.  Switches are plate-mounted,

It's also a fairly short throw.  The keys are single shot.  The lone IC in plain sight dates from '96.

Honestly, I'm not hugely intrigued in the board for any reason, except general obscurity.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2009, 22:19:27 by Hak Foo »
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline alpslover

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 22:48:46 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;116421

The switches are the NMB space-invader type, with a click.  It's weird, in the click seems to occur well above of where you'd expect on a BS board.

the click is generated by an external mechanism.  there's a plastic lever that pivots and clicks as the stem is depressed.  you can see it in the third picture.

Offline 1839cc

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 01:39:53 »
Gotta love those thrift shop deals.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 21:29:22 »
Finally typing on it.  So quiet compared to the Fuuka Solidtek, and the clicks are so short and high-pitched.
The travel doesn't feel as deep as a Buckling Spring job, but sufficient.

The carraige-return stuck as I tried to type the sentence.  I think its travel is well less than you'd expect

The force is odd.  If you stack seventeen 10-yen coins (x4.5g =  76.5g) on a key (I tried cursor-left since it's easy to balance the coins on) it will often "seize"-- a tiny tap will push the key down, and the coins will keep it down, but it won't drop by the coins alone.   I suspect the seperate click mechanism can really upset the curve.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline ignoo

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 October 2009, 23:59:46 »
Quote from: alpslover;116424
the click is generated by an external mechanism.  there's a plastic lever that pivots and clicks as the stem is depressed.  you can see it in the third picture.

I have a few old (sadly dead) NMB RT8256CW+ keyboards with these space invader switches with the click lever.  I've been trying to find a modern keyboard that feels like my beloved NMBs for years to no avail.  Do any modern keyboards still use these switches?  Otherwise, does anyone know what modern mechanical switches feel closest to these?

Based on recent research, it seems like the blue-stemmed Cherrys (MX1A-E1NW) may be close, but I haven't tried a keyboard with blue Cherrys yet.

Offline skriefal

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 October 2009, 00:31:45 »
No new boards are available with the NMB switches.  I'm not sure when they were discontinued, but it's been a while (10 years maybe?).

Offline alpslover

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 October 2009, 10:25:18 »
Quote from: ignoo;125505

Based on recent research, it seems like the blue-stemmed Cherrys (MX1A-E1NW) may be close, but I haven't tried a keyboard with blue Cherrys yet.

yes, blue cherries are the closest modern switch you'll get to the nmb click tactiles.

Offline ignoo

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 October 2009, 11:18:09 »
Thanks very much guys.  I'm going to try a FILCO Majestouch Tactile Click NKRO.

Offline BucklingSpring

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 06:57:16 »
Quote from: alpslover;125620
yes, blue cherries are the closest modern switch you'll get to the nmb click tactiles.

I beg to differ. Unless the nmb switches soften over time and tend to feel like the MX blue. When new, those NMB’s need much more pressure for actuation than the blue.

Got my RTs new from NMB about 10 years ago. These nmb switches are one of my favorite but I hated the sharp spacebar design scrubbing my thumbs. Which explain the low mileage I did with these boards.

I didn’t bother modding it or looking for a decent replacement spacebar.

I say try Blue MX before you buy or you might get disapointed.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 October 2009, 07:02:12 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline alpslover

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 08:05:48 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;126557
I beg to differ. Unless the nmb switches soften over time and tend to feel like the MX blue. When new, those NMB’s need much more pressure for actuation than the blue.

yes, the nmb switches are heavier, but in other respects, the blues come close.  no modern switch is going to feel exactly like the nmb's.

I say try Blue MX before you buy or you might get disapointed.

while i agree, try before you buy isn't always possible with keyboards.  he could always sell it if he doesn't like it.

Offline BucklingSpring

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 08:36:11 »
Quote from: alpslover;126568
while i agree, try before you buy isn't always possible with keyboards.  he could always sell it if he doesn't like it.

You are absolutely right.

I don't think I ever saw a retail store with mechanical boards in demo.

I wonder if Internet Coffee places could make money selling a try before you buy for high end keyboards.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline ignoo

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 14:26:00 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;126557
... those NMB’s need much more pressure for actuation than the blue.

This is actually excellent news to me, because that means the Cherry MX Blues actuate more easily than what I was used to on the NMBs, and I should therefore perhaps be able to type more easily/faster.  What I loved about the NMB switches was the audible click on the way down and on the way up (during actuation AND release).  It added to the noise, but I didn't mind.

Do the Cherry MX Blue switches click both on the way down and on the way back up, or only on the way down?

Offline alpslover

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 18:18:48 »
Quote from: ignoo;126683

Do the Cherry MX Blue switches click both on the way down and on the way back up, or only on the way down?

the blues do make some sound on the way up, but it's not nearly as loud as the click on the way down.

how loud were your nmb's?  the nmb i have isn't very loud at all; the blue cherry keyboards make significantly more noise.

Offline BucklingSpring

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 18:23:46 »
Quote from: ripster;126689
That's interesting.   The blues don't click on the way up.  Why do you like that?

Wow, I didn't noticed my RTs were clicking on the way up as well.
Had to check for myself and oh yeah they do.

When you type fast, this audible sound is masked by the noise the keycap makes when the key is fully released (the moment the finger doesn't touch it anymore)

It is interesting indeed. Looking forward for the answer.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline ignoo

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 21:37:32 »
Quote from: ripster;126689
That's interesting.   The blues don't click on the way up.  Why do you like that?

Not sure why I like the bi-directional, audible click.  Maybe it's extra reassurance to my brain like "dude, you really nailed this keypress" on the way down, and "dude, did I mention you're amazing?" on the way back up  :)  I can certainly live with a single click on actuation, though.

Offline msiegel

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 21:39:17 »
Quote from: ignoo;126784
Not sure why I like the bi-directional, audible click.  Maybe it's extra reassurance to my brain like "dude, you really nailed this keypress" on the way down, and "dude, did I mention you're amazing?" on the way back up  :)  I can certainly live with a single click on actuation, though.

That. Was a great description XD

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline ignoo

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 21:44:55 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;126742
When you type fast, this audible sound is masked by the noise the keycap makes when the key is fully released (the moment the finger doesn't touch it anymore)

I tried typing on my NMBs again, and you're right: the click on the way back up is masked by the noise of the keycaps on release, so I guess that second click was not an important part of the auditory feedback in my experience with NMBs.  Kinda a bummer to hear the blues are considerably louder than the NMBs, because the NMBs were sizably quieter than my current Alps-based Matias keyboard, but they're probably not noisier than this ridiculously loud Matias board.  At any rate, I can live with "click."  What bugs me about my current board is the loud "clang" I get from the loose keycaps when I release the keys.  Hopefully, quality Cherry-based boards have better-fitting keycaps.

Offline itlnstln

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 09:33:12 »
Quote from: ignoo;126784
Not sure why I like the bi-directional, audible click. Maybe it's extra reassurance to my brain like "dude, you really nailed this keypress" on the way down, and "dude, did I mention you're amazing?" on the way back up :) I can certainly live with a single click on actuation, though.

Wow.  Topres just fart.

Offline colbabe

My NMB
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 21:52:42 »
I would be interested in finding a replacement spacebar due to it's rough edge.  Can you help?  I'm open to to  ideas and suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

Col

Offline Oqsy

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 22:11:51 »
I took my spacebar out into the garage tonight and sanded the snot out of the leading edge of the spacebar with an orbital sander to round it a bit since the sharp edge is exactly where the thumb rests on this board.  It actually turned out really well with the only drawback being that it just reinforces the fact that the spacebar switch is a bit too stiff and needs some modification to allow smoother actuation.  I'm a huge fan of this board and these switches, and recommend it for any of you looking for something that's not like any of the popular mechanical boards.  I do highly recommend sanding the space bar if you plan on using it for more than a few minutes at a time, though.  I plan on looking into adding a bit of silicone spray to the spacebar switch to see if it will loosen it up enough to make it comfortable.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline fastbuck

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 09:47:32 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;124860
Finally typing on it.  So quiet compared to the Fuuka Solidtek, and the clicks are so short and high-pitched.
The travel doesn't feel as deep as a Buckling Spring job, but sufficient.

The carraige-return stuck as I tried to type the sentence.  I think its travel is well less than you'd expect

The force is odd.  If you stack seventeen 10-yen coins (x4.5g =  76.5g) on a key (I tried cursor-left since it's easy to balance the coins on) it will often "seize"-- a tiny tap will push the key down, and the coins will keep it down, but it won't drop by the coins alone.   I suspect the seperate click mechanism can really upset the curve.

I noticed that too. Some keys fee rough and need more force than others. Also key press key presses get registered before the click. It feels weird. I just started typing on this keyboard and will try to stick with it for a week, but initial impression has not been good.
Keyboards: IBM Model M 1391401, CVT Avant Stellar, CVT Avant Prime, Dell AT101W, TypeMatrix 2020, Compaq MX 11800, Chicony KB-5181, IBM M-13, Chicony KB-5191, Wang 724,

Pointing devices: Contour Rollermouse & Pro, Microsoft Intellimouse Trackball, Kensington TurboBall Trackball, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, 3M Ergonomic Mouse, Zero tension mouse, MS Ergonomic Laser Mouse 6000, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Wowpen Vertical mouse, Logitech Trackman Marble, Digital Research DRTRACK Trackball

Offline Oqsy

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 21:07:48 »
It's a quirky board for sure.  I have 3 of them, none working currently :P
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 21:15:13 »
At the library in my town they've got a few of those old NMB clickers along with their Model M's.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline p3rh4ps

Nmb rt8255c+
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 23 November 2010, 13:47:03 »
Found one of these in the storage room at work and my boss said to please dispose of it.  Yoink!