Author Topic: Gaming with 55g Topre for hours  (Read 8391 times)

Offline nuzey

Gaming with 55g Topre for hours
« on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 22:04:29 »
Hey guys. So, I decided to give Topre a shot and really want the Realforce 87 but I don't know whether to get the 45g or 55g. Coming from Cherry mx red/brown for years, I feel that the 45g is more suitable for me. You guys always say the 55g is more snappy and feels better than the 45g so it makes me sit in between the fence.

I play mostly MMO and I spam the keys quite a lot for at least 6 hours straight. The question here is whether the 55g will make me feel more fatigue than the 45g? Some people say they do and some don't because they are used to it. To me, I can only rely on the stats and the 55g will obviously make me more fatigue than the 45g but I want opinions from you guys who had the experience on gaming for hours straight with the 55g or the 45g. Please share on how you feel about them, thank you!  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Gaming with 55g Topre for hours
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 22:39:35 »
Ultimately which keyboard is best for you is down to you - no-one else can tell you which one to prefer.

However if you like MX reds and browns, then I'd suggest starting with 45g Topre.

Many people prefer stiffer MX switches, which leads to a preference for stiffer Topre switches too.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 22:42:18 »
For most MMOs 55 should be fine. The only issue I find with 55g domes is they can be a bit slow for fps games. Rts,  mmo,  are fine. If you are continually spamming the same same key and need to do it very quickly,  45 might be better
Hi :)

Offline Polymer

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 22:55:34 »
You'll probably find 45g a bit more familiar weight wise...55g will feel heavy and you'll get fatigued (at least initially).

You'll get used to either one...although personally I'm not a Topre fan for gaming (love it for typing though)....it just doesn't have that satisfying spammability....Granted, that is just personal preference...but I think the hard bottom out and sound makes it feel more arcade like....

Offline nuzey

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 23:00:57 »
Okay I will look into the 45g for now. Thanks for the feedback guys  :thumb:

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 00:08:59 »
a lot of it is personal preference. my coworker is starting to hate his blues even though he's been using them for so long and gets tired of how hard it is to double-tap keys, but my other friend thinks the blues are entirely fine for gaming.
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline Polymer

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 01:36:10 »
Actually, that probably isn't a good example...If one friend is having a hard time doubletapping with blues that isn't subjective...Blues reset at a different place than where they actuate so the key actually has to come up above where it actuated....Quite a few other switches don't have this issue where actuate and reset are at the same or approximately the same point.  Most people don't have an issue with blues but it is entirely possible your friend does have a real problem when doubletapping with them..

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 06:23:47 »
Actually, that probably isn't a good example...If one friend is having a hard time doubletapping with blues that isn't subjective...Blues reset at a different place than where they actuate so the key actually has to come up above where it actuated....Quite a few other switches don't have this issue where actuate and reset are at the same or approximately the same point.

Don't forget for years now, before all these false recommendations that Blue and Red MX switches are made for gaming, it's absolute rubbish.  The first and only switch made for Gaming was the Black MX and accept no other.

Still today the real hardcore gaming fraternity still hold all Black MX switched keyboards to their hearts, whilst every other so and so still pushes Logitech and/or Razer as possible gaming requirements (they're mostly idiot shills).

Just get a basic no frills Black MX keyboard either full sized or TKL (whatever suits you) and go and demolish those limp-wristed bastards in any Game available  :thumb: .

Offline Altis

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 22:53:30 »
I find 55g too heavy for FPS gaming (haven't tried MMO). In fact, even 45g Topre which don't fatigue me at all even after long sessions of typing seem to irritate my pinky finger after playing a few rounds of CS GO.

I actually prefer MX Brown for gaming, if I'm honest. Blues don't do it for me for gaming (in fact I'm losing my love for MX Blue altogether), and Reds are almost as good as Browns. I've been using Reds the past few weeks gaming and I don't have anything interesting to report. Low fatigue, but I still prefer the Browns.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline skuko

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 01:20:28 »
i play Guild Wars 2 relatively intensely and for long hours, so i know exactly what 11111111111111111 spam means :)

been on a hiatus from it lately, but reinstalled and started playing it with my FC660C. just 2 days ago, i switched back to my MJ2 with MX reds and GMK orange charcoal.

i can tell you it's much more pleasant on the linear switch, after a an hour or so of adjustment. the most annoying thing was to get used to TKL layout compared to the leopold. ESC key being in a completely different spot kinda messed up my pvp performance, as i got used to deselect targets rather quickly with ESC being right next to the 1 key on the leopold :P

but all those are minor quirks and the comfort of the linear switch more than makes up for that in the long run :)

also, for FPS, linear switch is IMHO mandatory for optimal performance. i play the new UT2015 casually and i just ran it yesterday and the dodges are night and day with a linear switch compared to tactile.

i am really thinking of getting the Varmilo with reds now, even though i've been waiting for qtan to get browns and clears and already have 2 MX red TKL boards. dat thing is sexy.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 July 2015, 01:23:24 by skuko »

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 06:17:03 »
Is it too late to make a suggestion?

Buy a 55g one. If you don't like it, swap the domes for someone's 45g domes. Free 55g mod for someone's Novatouch.

May be a bit more hassle than it's worth to you, of course.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 06:45:46 »
Is it too late to make a suggestion?

Buy a 55g one. If you don't like it, swap the domes for someone's 45g domes. Free 55g mod for someone's Novatouch.

May be a bit more hassle than it's worth to you, of course.

All things being equal I was going to suggest something along these lines as well. Go 55g if you find you don't like it there are plenty of people who want to trade 45g domes for 55g. Myself included. Little bit of hassle but that way you get the option of both with minimal spend.

I use my 55g for gaming, play lots of TF2 and some Heroes of the Storm/Starcraft etc. and have never had any issue. Hardly ever get to spend 6 hours straight though :)

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 08:38:53 »
Actually, that probably isn't a good example...If one friend is having a hard time doubletapping with blues that isn't subjective...Blues reset at a different place than where they actuate so the key actually has to come up above where it actuated....Quite a few other switches don't have this issue where actuate and reset are at the same or approximately the same point.

Don't forget for years now, before all these false recommendations that Blue and Red MX switches are made for gaming, it's absolute rubbish.  The first and only switch made for Gaming was the Black MX and accept no other.

Still today the real hardcore gaming fraternity still hold all Black MX switched keyboards to their hearts, whilst every other so and so still pushes Logitech and/or Razer as possible gaming requirements (they're mostly idiot shills).

Just get a basic no frills Black MX keyboard either full sized or TKL (whatever suits you) and go and demolish those limp-wristed bastards in any Game available  :thumb: .

I thought the only switch made for gaming was the Razer Green Switch... I mean.. look at the spec's http://www.razerzone.com/razer-mechanical-switches  ;)

Offline blahlicus

• UniqueK | DIY keyboards, etc
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:04:34 »
back on topic

i think it depends on the game you play, rowdy already mentioned that ultimately its down to your own preference, but here's some personal experience nonetheless

i used to game a lot on blues, playing mostly MOBAs, i had no problem with it because even though those games require quick burst of keystrokes, they do not require very high RPM, hence my hands are never tired from using them, but then i went on a played a REALLY spammy MMORPG and the constant RPM was very high, this lead to a lot of finger fatigue problems and lead to me switching to reds due to their lightness (i have a FC660C but its been sitting in the corner collecting dust)

so i would say, if you play a really spammy game, then you should probably consider the 45gs, but ALWAYS try out the boards before you make a purchase

Offline nuzey

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 10:37:50 »
Update: So I bought topre 55g and tried gaming on mmo for 4 hours and my fingers start to get tired. I love the sound it produces and the smoothness of each press. But it just felt a little stiff. However on fps games like csgo, I did not feel tired even after 6 hours of gaming. It felt wonderful. Maybe because I spammed the keys too much while on a mmo. Typing wise, it felt similar to browns except stiffer. I would give topre a  :thumb: because it felt really solid. I really want to try the 45g on my mmo gaming though. I really think it will be much better.

Anyone can shed a light if the 45g will fit better for all my gaming needs? I might actually change my 55 to 45. Really need someone who actually tried both the 55 and 45 for gaming to comment on this. It will definitely help me sort out my choice.

Btw, out of topic. I really think the white one is nicer than the black one. I regretted getting black  :-[

Offline t888

• CONNECT 14400 ... Welcome to Skynet
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 11:00:48 »
I don't really notice the difference between playing on 45g vs 55g ... I am usually too enveloped in the game to notice.  Although I think how tired you get is a function of how you setup your keybindings.  I use a MMO mouse with 12 buttons on the side that I use for most everything along with using shift or ctrl as a modifier for more commands. 

Like it has been said earlier you really can't go wrong with these keyboards... Glad you are enjoying it.
Unicomp ♡ HHKB Pro 2 ♡ Realforce 87u 55g

Offline nuzey

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 21:17:08 »
I don't really notice the difference between playing on 45g vs 55g ... I am usually too enveloped in the game to notice.  Although I think how tired you get is a function of how you setup your keybindings.  I use a MMO mouse with 12 buttons on the side that I use for most everything along with using shift or ctrl as a modifier for more commands. 

Like it has been said earlier you really can't go wrong with these keyboards... Glad you are enjoying it.

Yes you might be right. My keybinds are quite all over the place. Sometimes my fingers need to stretch while holding the wasd keys for movement. Really useful insight, seems like I got to try switching keybinds.

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 03:05:19 »
I find 55g a little too labored for gaming. Even the WASD feels a touch slow in game to me. 45g though I love just as much as reds for gaming. In fact maybe a little more.

Offline Happylomo

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 09:08:22 »
I've always used 45g, though. My first mech was QFR with reds, and now i'm using hhkb jp, which is 45g as well (i think).
I play Dungeon Fighters Online; and I don't feel tired at all after 3-4 hours of button mashing. Keep in mind i have smoke breaks in between  ;D

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 17:57:07 »
I personally have no problem using 55g for gaming. I don't like either of my cherry boards, so I'm waiting for the next one to switch to a board more suited for gaming (to see if there's a difference)

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 01:51:20 »
Ultimately which keyboard is best for you is down to you - no-one else can tell you which one to prefer.

This. I know a guy who livestreams a certain bad rhythm game for hours, and used Tactile Grays for a long while until he got a keyboard from a sponsor/tournament/whatever and now he's *****ing IRL about the Reds, which are hailed as "the perfect switch" on that game's fanboying place. I know he has a friend who modded his Suckwidow before, I wonder why he didn't do it again.

I thought the only switch made for gaming was the Razer Green Switch... I mean.. look at the spec's http://www.razerzone.com/razer-mechanical-switches  ;)

On a serious note, I'm fairly sure A4tech optic switches were made for gaming.

The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline jukaduke1184

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 21:21:16 »
I play both WoW and CoD with a Realforce 45g uniform keyboard. I like them. They're pretty comfortable.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 21:23:36 »

If only new MX blacks didn't feel like I was typing on sandpaper.

i play Guild Wars 2 relatively intensely and for long hours, so i know exactly what 11111111111111111 spam means :)
This guy knows what's up
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline nuzey

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 21:39:26 »
Thank you for the input guys. I am waiting to get my hands on 45g because it is only available at my local store in late September. Thanks to this forum; it made me want to try out every single keyboard that came across my mind. I love it though  :))

Been gaming with the 55g for a while and coming from Cherry Reds I reallly think I should use 45g topre. The 55g is nice for typing but it feels really heavy for gaming especially when I need to move quickly in different directions. The heavy actuation does not help at all. This is just plainly my personal opinion, people with strong finger muscle might be able to overcome this. Or maybe people who are used to using Cherry Blacks and Clears.