Author Topic: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO  (Read 893750 times)

Offline rossviper

Re: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO
« Reply #1350 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 03:26:20 »
Tim
@mrfluffy

Here is a picture of the jumpers, hope it helps:
Show Image

Let me know if there is anything else you need?

Thanks
Ross

There are some more pictures here http://imgur.com/ygtOTNA,c7cfqi9,C0AB2z9,7SGWtTh,DYflj2K,R1OFUPg,Y0iojyz,NU1PBuA,jqn23vi,4gUDPB9#0

Sweet! Changed my jumpers to match yours, but still no response from the board. Definitely looks like a dud. Ross,if you want any keys or caps to complete your keyboard, let me know, and you can have them with pleasure. This keyboard is going into the project pile.

Thanks Tim, that would be great, I actually need 3 caps, the F17, with the cap and the key/under cap, then 2 more caps... the interesting things is I'm not sure what the other missing keys are!!!! I'll try and pull up a reference image, and see if i can work out what ones are missing!!! I'll pm you and we can sort something out.

Thanks very much Tim, sorry your boards not working.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #1351 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 21:10:02 »
Does anybody have a link to the project box that someone made that has plugs to convert every type of keyboard?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1352 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 10:37:15 »
Does anybody have a link to the project box that someone made that has plugs to convert every type of keyboard?

I did this guide a while back:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58941.msg1348717#msg1348717

There are many project boxes that you can order on ebay. I have had problems with cracking because they are generally pretty flimsy and do not take kindly to being riddled with large holes.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline cohomology

« Reply #1353 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 18:37:19 »
Hi, I am new to this forum and thank you all for the great info. I recently pulled the trigger and picked up a 122 key with the RJ45 connector. I cleaned the thing and now am ready to adapt it to my computer. So I unplugged the RJ45 cable(well, have to take the board apart to do it, I mean, mine is probably the "permanent cable version", even though there is a connector inside the case) and disclosed 5 pins on the board that look like the following:

2 3 4
1    5

I am wondering which pin is which and hope someone can help me out! TIA!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1354 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 18:45:19 »
Hi, I am new to this forum and thank you all for the great info. I recently pulled the trigger and picked up a 122 key with the RJ45 connector. I cleaned the thing and now am ready to adapt it to my computer. So I unplugged the RJ45 cable(well, have to take the board apart to do it, I mean, mine is probably the "permanent cable version", even though there is a connector inside the case) and disclosed 5 pins on the board that look like the following:

2 3 4
1    5

The original post includes a diagram for the F-122, but I would not 100% guarantee that the M-122 is the same.

« Last Edit: Thu, 22 January 2015, 18:47:48 by fohat.digs »
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline cohomology

« Reply #1355 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:22:28 »

I am assuming that I would need to follow the right bottom diagram right?

2 3 4
1    5

The original post includes a diagram for the F-122, but I would not 100% guarantee that the M-122 is the same.

Show Image

Offline arakula

« Reply #1356 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 23:30:21 »
I am assuming that I would need to follow the right bottom diagram right?
Right. And yes, it's the same for M-122 (at least in the 3 of them that I have here).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1357 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 07:08:09 »

Right. And yes, it's the same for M-122 (at least in the 3 of them that I have here).

Both bottom diagrams are the same.

It is good to know that the F-122 and M-122 use interchangeable cables, in case replacements are needed.

Offline cohomology

« Reply #1358 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 08:44:48 »
Oh, did not realize the two bottom diagrams are the same!

I can confirm that the wiring in the bottom two diagrams works with my 122 key M keyboard!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1359 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 10:05:06 »

Oh, did not realize the two bottom diagrams are the same!

Mountains of heartache have resulted from people not thinking through which piece is the plug and which piece is the socket.

Offline arakula

« Reply #1360 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:36:55 »

Both bottom diagrams are the same.
My "Right." was an answer to the right "right?" part of the question, not the "right bottom diagram" left to it.
SCNR  ;D
Reminds me of my children's Jiu Jitsu trainers who always said: "... the other right!" when a move went wrong...
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:40:37 by arakula »

Offline Westwall

« Reply #1361 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:50:55 »
Hello again. I made a post towards the end of the last page, about a terminal keyboard I could get my hands on. After some shopping, I've got some news. In the end, it's not a terminal. It's a 102-key SDL-conenctor board! The part number is 1391506. "Hecho por IBM en Mexico", I know, they're a bit inferior to the rest, but I got this thing for 10USD. Best of all, while it didn't come with the box, this thing is NEW, I mean absolutely positively SPOTLESS and looking like it just came out of the factory. It even came with the perfectly-fitting Styrofoam (missing a few good pieces here and there), and a resealed transparent plastic bag with a serial number on it (which I tore to shreds in my excitement while trying to get the board out). I thought I'd be getting a grime-covered 122-key monster by the pictures the seller had up on the Internet, but apparently they were illustrative; this is much, much better, better than I dreamed of!

I also bought a non-working PS/2 rubber-dome for literally pennies while I was at it, and I've already gotten the PS/2 cable out of that thing (for the most part, more on that later). Now,I would actually prefer PS/2 to be honest (so no need for Soarer's), but again, I don't have an SDL cable and can't get one. I can borrow a soldering iron, so I was thinking of simply taking out the SDL port and hard-wiring a cable to it. PS/2 cables don't have standardized colors as far as I know, though, and that's a problem because I have no multimeter to check continuity, and know of nobody who could lend me one. The PS/2 cable I ripped out is still attached to a small PCB, which has four marking where the four wires connect; VC, VS, CL, DA. I'm dead sure CL and DA are clock and data respectively, but I'm not 100% sure of VC and VS. I'm have a strong hunch VC is for VCC (5V in), and VS would then be ground. Is my hunch strong enough to just identify the wires with those markings, or am I going to fry my computer and board? I've already got the layout for how the SDL connects to the PCB, so all that would be left is to have those cables identified and to start soldering!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1362 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:58:30 »
The part number is 1391506. "Hecho por IBM en Mexico"

I don't know that the Mexican models are inferior.

Before you start "doing damage" you need to ascertain whether this is a PS/2 model or a terminal.

If it is native PS/2, then you may have it pretty easy. If you have an SDL socket, I would leave it in place.

If it is a terminal, you are going to need a Teensy anyway.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1363 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 06:25:36 »
Hmm... I have one question for the elders of this forum.

Can I use Arduino Pro Micro or Leonardo for this converter? It's just I'd rather use 6 or 10 bucks controller instead of 20 :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline arakula

« Reply #1364 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 08:15:22 »
Yes.

Offline Westwall

« Reply #1365 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 18:21:35 »
Before you start "doing damage" you need to ascertain whether this is a PS/2 model or a terminal.

According to Wikipedia, IBM part no. 1391506 does PS/2 (https://i.imgur.com/xlSNhWw.png). This is a 102-key SDL board, I'm sure it's not terminal.

If you have an SDL socket, I would leave it in place.

Ah, but then what about my dilemma of not being able to acquire any SDL-PS/2 cables in this country? Like I said previously, importing is impossible. What other means do I have of getting a PS/2 cable onto the PCB, without desoldering the port?

I guess I could solder a cable onto the port's underside (would that be viable?), but how do I get the cable out of the chassis? There's a nook on each side of the flip-up feet, but it'd be a veeeery tight fit, I don't know if I'd be able to squeeze a cable in there, and the feet would always have to be in upright position (but that's not really a problem, I prefer aggressive profiles).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1366 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 19:15:29 »
Like I said previously, importing is impossible.

How unfortunate.

I don't understand, but in the US, for all of our other backwards and ridiculous problems, customs are not one.

If you could get one of orihalcon's cables (while pricey) you would have the most clean and elegant solution.

Offline cohomology

« Reply #1367 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 19:55:52 »
Since the other thread does not seem to get much traffic, let me ask this question here again. Hope this is fine. I picked up an IBM Model F 5291 Terminal (bigfoot) Keyboard and am trying to adapt it. There are a couple pins I don't seem to be able to find on the teensy: Frame GND, Output, Strobe. Can someone tell me which pins these are? TIA!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1368 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 21:06:27 »
Since the other thread does not seem to get much traffic, let me ask this question here again. Hope this is fine. I picked up an IBM Model F 5291 Terminal (bigfoot) Keyboard and am trying to adapt it. There are a couple pins I don't seem to be able to find on the teensy: Frame GND, Output, Strobe. Can someone tell me which pins these are? TIA!

I was going to post in that thread but had other family stuff going on.  Those pins are not the teensy, that is the pinout for the keyboard plug.  Adapting a 5291 is a touch more involved.  Let me report back.

Edit:  I had this same discussion with xwhatsit.  Turns out my keyboard is neither a standard XT, for a 5291, though it is in a bigfoot case.

So I am getting a Bigfoot from hwood34.  Is there any chance of using either your capsense or a soarers converter with this thing?  He gave me the model as 8257816. 
G'day,

The bigfoot (like the XT, which is similar in many ways) unfortunately has a built-in controller, so it can't really be swapped out, short of hacksawing the thing off and soldering some wires onto it.

That said, you have a couple of options now that you didn't use to;

1) The XTant is supposedly possible with the bigfoot; I think wcass was going to have some kits for that soon. You'd need a new controller though of course (mine would work). You might want to get in touch with wcass regarding that.

2) The bigfoot is unusual in that it's controller is basically not there at all; the cable hanging off the keyboard is just an interface to the special IBM capsense chip and little more. Soarer's controller (not converter!) can work with this directly with a little bit of effort. Quantalume (over at DT: http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/in-praise-of-bigfoot-t8956.html ) has got this working very satisfactorily. You might want to sign up for a DT account and send him a PM; he's a really nice guy and I'm sure he'd give you some info on how he's done it if the linked info in that thread isn't enough, seeing as Soarer seems to have gone AWOL.

The XTant option might be the nicest, as you can get a more modern layout out of it, but the Soarer's controller option would probably be the simplest to get going (no need to crack the sucker open and replace the pad card etc.).

Good luck!

Cheers,

xwhatsit

Changed real name to xwhatsit for personal reasons
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 21:14:23 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline cohomology

« Reply #1369 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 22:51:39 »
Thank you for answering my question. XTant does not seem an easy option for me. Guess I would follow the Soarer's controller option. That being said, I still don't understand how to wire a teensy to the keyboard. Could someone please write a short tutorial on how to get this going? I read that thread many times but still don't seem to be able to wire the teensy to the keyboard.

I was going to post in that thread but had other family stuff going on.  Those pins are not the teensy, that is the pinout for the keyboard plug.  Adapting a 5291 is a touch more involved.  Let me report back.

Edit:  I had this same discussion with xwhatsit.  Turns out my keyboard is neither a standard XT, for a 5291, though it is in a bigfoot case.

So I am getting a Bigfoot from hwood34.  Is there any chance of using either your capsense or a soarers converter with this thing?  He gave me the model as 8257816. 
G'day,

The bigfoot (like the XT, which is similar in many ways) unfortunately has a built-in controller, so it can't really be swapped out, short of hacksawing the thing off and soldering some wires onto it.

1) The XTant is supposedly possible with the bigfoot; I think wcass was going to have some kits for that soon. You'd need a new controller though of course (mine would work). You might want to get in touch with wcass regarding that.

2) The bigfoot is unusual in that it's controller is basically not there at all; the cable hanging off the keyboard is just an interface to the special IBM capsense chip and little more. Soarer's controller (not converter!) can work with this directly with a little bit of effort. Quantalume (over at DT: http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/in-praise-of-bigfoot-t8956.html ) has got this working very satisfactorily. You might want to sign up for a DT account and send him a PM; he's a really nice guy and I'm sure he'd give you some info on how he's done it if the linked info in that thread isn't enough, seeing as Soarer seems to have gone AWOL.

The XTant option might be the nicest, as you can get a more modern layout out of it, but the Soarer's controller option would probably be the simplest to get going (no need to crack the sucker open and replace the pad card etc.).

Good luck!

Cheers,

xwhatsit

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1370 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 22:53:10 »
Thank you for answering my question. XTant does not seem an easy option for me. Guess I would follow the Soarer's controller option. That being said, I still don't understand how to wire a teensy to the keyboard. Could someone please write a short tutorial on how to get this going? I read that thread many times but still don't seem to be able to wire the teensy to the keyboard.

G'day,

Good luck!

Cheers,

xwhatsit

You could try and message Quantalume over at DT.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline cohomology

« Reply #1371 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:07:54 »
Thanks! Will do and report back. So far I really liked the feeling of this keyboard.

G'day,

Good luck!

Cheers,

xwhatsit

You could try and message Quantalume over at DT.

Offline cinnamonrollz

• buckle master 5000
« Reply #1372 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 19:22:35 »
Is soarer dead or something?  :'(

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1373 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 19:34:38 »
He seems to have gone silent for over half a year now.

I keep hoping that he got a new girlfriend and went off the grid in Tonga.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1374 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 09:22:52 »
Hmm... Anyone knows if I can made config with fn key for switching layers which also works like normal key?

e.g. one press - key value, hold + other keys - next layer?
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1375 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 10:53:24 »
I am not sure that that functionality is available with this firmware setup.  What you are refering to is usually called dual role keys.  I have used it on my JD40 with using the space bar as Function.  The biggest issue with it is when you tap for space, it registers on key up not key down.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1376 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 11:10:21 »
I am not sure that that functionality is available with this firmware setup.  What you are refering to is usually called dual role keys.  I have used it on my JD40 with using the space bar as Function.  The biggest issue with it is when you tap for space, it registers on key up not key down.

Yeah... it seems while hasu firmware from tmk project has it (done adb/usb converter week ago), soarer's converter has not :( Oh well. I have key I have not use much on my AT anyway.

But to be able to change config on the fly - that's fantastic :)

BTW. I have ANSI-modden AT Model F. With Blue Cube converter button right above "Enter" key was working, but now it isn't :( Anyone know how I should write config to fix it?

UPD. Found it in the "codes" section of the docs and remapped. It's EXTRA_BACKSLASH to BACKSLASH
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 February 2015, 11:15:25 by mougrim »

Offline rossviper

« Reply #1377 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 10:57:46 »
Just an update and review of my progress with the 122 terminal I got a few weeks ago if anyone is interested.

I ended up getting a pro micro clone off ebay from a UK supplier, (in fact I've had  off them now) it worked fine, only thing to note was i had to use a USB2 port to get the ArduinoBuilder software to work correctly. Tim (@mrfluffy) was kind enough to send me the missing function key, as well as a few spare caps that I also didn't have. I got a beige colour usb cable from amazon, and have now the final keyboard all up and running nicely.

Final tote up:
Keyboard £5
Postage of keyboard £10
ProMicro Board £7 posted
Cable £3
Hex Drivers £6
Missing caps FOC - Thanks Tim!!

so all up a grand total of 31 or 25 quid depending on how you look at it,  not bad, not bad at all.

Great fun and a great result at the end. Thanks again to Soarer, and Tim, and to the others on this thread for the advice.

Offline mrfluffy

« Reply #1378 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 19:39:48 »
Nice result there Ross. My old 122 key Model M has a faulty controller, rusty backplate, and a bunch of broken rivets, so it's going for a complete rebuild to replace my Razer Black Widow. If anyone else in the UK needs a couple of keycaps, drop me a pm and I'll see if I can help out.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #1379 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 18:10:38 »
I have a WYSE WY70. It uses the 4P4C/RJ10 connector. Will I be able to use a Teensy to convert it to a USB? I am not very knowledgeable on any of this and am at a complete loss on how to proceed. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1380 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 19:02:15 »
I have a WYSE WY70. It uses the 4P4C/RJ10 connector. Will I be able to use a Teensy to convert it to a USB? I am not very knowledgeable on any of this and am at a complete loss on how to proceed. 

I have a really nice Televideo with a 4P4C and I have not yet been able to get it running.
Perhaps you will be more knowledgeable or lucky ....

Offline Asininity

« Reply #1381 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 15:36:06 »
with a 4P4C and I have not yet been able to get it running.
Perhaps you will be more knowledgeable or lucky ....

Have you thought about hand wiring the board? I saw a thread in which someone hand wired their board.

Here's two threads that I found on the subject:
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/rj11-to-ps-2-or-usb-adapter-for-dolch-pac-64-keyboard-t6243.html
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46531.0

Soarer has already created a solution for WYSE boards. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52597.0

« Last Edit: Mon, 09 February 2015, 15:53:41 by Asininity »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1382 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 16:05:57 »

Have you thought about hand wiring the board?

Soarer has already created a solution for WYSE boards. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52597.0

The board is virtually new and I do not want to go that far.

And yes, I tried Soarer's Wyse converter with no luck.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #1383 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 18:02:47 »
The board is virtually new and I do not want to go that far.

And yes, I tried Soarer's Wyse converter with no luck.

That stinks. I hope you find a solution.

Offline Coin-op Adjutant

• Official Toga Llama
« Reply #1384 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 12:22:25 »
Salutations, gents.

I have an assortment of Model M-122s (1395660, terminal M, RJ45 connectors) that I'm trying to test with a new Teensy converter.  I've done this before with my Model F XT, and had absolutely no issues plugging in and going.

These three, however, are not even budging when I plug the Teensy in.  hid_listen just gives me a single immediate response of:
Code: [Select]
Waiting for device:..........
Listening:
wEE

remaining: FFFC

Keyboard ID: 0000
Code Set: 1
Mode: PC/XT

R05

...and nothing else--no responses from keypresses, nothing--so I'm wondering what exactly is going on here.

Of note: It looks like hid_listen at least *recognizes* that a keyboard is plugged in, and the keyboards start to heat up a little when I plug them in.  Hopefully I'm not cooking them--pretty sure I had the Teensy wiring correct--but I'm at a loss here.
KEYBOARDS OWNED:
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (MX Blues)  ||  CM Storm QuickFire TK (MX Blues) || Model F XT (Capacitive buckling spring, repaired and spray-painted black) || Leopold FC660C (Topre 45g, white/gray dyesub)

MICE/OTHER PERIPHERALS OWNED:
Logitech G9X (x2)  ||  Razer Deathadder 2013  ||  CM Storm Spawn  ||  Razer Sabertooth  ||  Hori Fighting Stick VX (360/PC)  ||  CM Storm Reaper

Offline arakula

« Reply #1385 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 01:18:08 »
Of note: It looks like hid_listen at least *recognizes* that a keyboard is plugged in, and the keyboards start to heat up a little when I plug them in.  Hopefully I'm not cooking them--pretty sure I had the Teensy wiring correct--but I'm at a loss here.
Double-check that wiring. Especially the +5V and GND lines. You might well have fried your keyboards already. "Heating up" is not something they should do.
That response you see from hid_listen means that it did not recognize a keyboard, since no response for the EE command came back, so it assumes PC/XT.

Offline Coin-op Adjutant

• Official Toga Llama
« Reply #1386 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 08:28:23 »
I guess you're never too old or experienced to make some mistakes.

Yep, that was the issue.  Many thanks.
KEYBOARDS OWNED:
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (MX Blues)  ||  CM Storm QuickFire TK (MX Blues) || Model F XT (Capacitive buckling spring, repaired and spray-painted black) || Leopold FC660C (Topre 45g, white/gray dyesub)

MICE/OTHER PERIPHERALS OWNED:
Logitech G9X (x2)  ||  Razer Deathadder 2013  ||  CM Storm Spawn  ||  Razer Sabertooth  ||  Hori Fighting Stick VX (360/PC)  ||  CM Storm Reaper

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1387 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 13:53:40 »
I am going to install a couple pull up resistors on my soarer modded XT.  Do I install them in the middle of the cable, or between the teensy and the XT pcb?

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1388 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 14:16:51 »
I am going to install a couple pull up resistors on my soarer modded XT.  Do I install them in the middle of the cable, or between the teensy and the XT pcb?

Between the pins of teensy.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1389 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 14:41:38 »

Between the pins of teensy.

Excellent thanks

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1390 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 16:03:04 »
Do I install them in the middle of the cable, or between the teensy and the XT pcb?

Looking for a photo, I don't see what I need.

One leg of each resistor connects to +5V (aka VCC) and the other to clock or data.

Depending on how you are putting them all together, it can get very congested. At first, I did not realize that there are 2nd power and ground connections at each end of the Teensy, so you can use that second one for the resistors and get a little more elbow room at the other end.

Also, if you are using thin solid wire, I have been able to push both wire and the resistor leg through in one direction. If you are using braided wire it probably won't work.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1391 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 16:10:29 »
Do I install them in the middle of the cable, or between the teensy and the XT pcb?

Looking for a photo, I don't see what I need.

One leg of each resistor connects to +5V (aka VCC) and the other to clock or data.

Depending on how you are putting them all together, it can get very congested. At first, I did not realize that there are 2nd power and ground connections at each end of the Teensy, so you can use that second one for the resistors and get a little more elbow room at the other end.

Also, if you are using thin solid wire, I have been able to push both wire and the resistor leg through in one direction. If you are using braided wire it probably won't work.

Thanks fohat, I have been chatting with a couple peeps in IRC, and turns out pull up resistors are probably not the fix.  Reason is because I only have about 4 inches or so between the teensy and the keybaord PCB.  I just don't have anything connecting the shield on the USB side to the plate on the keyboard side.  I am going to try that first and see what happens.  If I still get the random key presses I will try the resistors.

Offline Westwall

« Reply #1392 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 19:35:00 »
Hello! I made a post a couple of weeks ago about an IBM Model M terminal keyboard. Turned out it wasn't terminal, which is better. And it turns out I can, due to being in the right place and the right time and knowing the right person, get an SDL to PS2 cable. Huzzah! No need to buy a soldering iron and practice on scrap first! I get that cable in about a month, though, the wait is killing me.

In the meanwhile, I've found another good discovery. 10 US dollars. IBM Beam Spring. The grand-daddy of all IBM's. It's either a 3101 or a 3727 model, but I can't tell from the pictures. All I know is that it has a 2-row DB15 connection.

Now, here's the thing. This board is dirty and might have a stuck key, if the picture the seller posted is that of the actual keyboard they have. Heck, I'm not even sure if it's in working condition. Either way, some distilled water, peroxide and elbow grease, and I'm putting that thing on a shelf assuming it's not functional. That'd still be 10 dollars well spent in my opinion. I'm buying it as soon as I can.

But let's assume that it is actually working. These guys sold me an impeccable, barely-used, working Model M for 10 dollars, so it doesn't seem to be completely out of the question to me. Is there any way to interface this thing to PS/2 (I'm assuming it's easier to interface to PS/2 than USB, but I'd use either)? Something like Soarer's converter, or would Soarer's work in this case? I can get my hands on soldering equipment and a limited variety of micro-controllers, but not much more than that.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1393 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 03:07:48 »
Hello! I made a post a couple of weeks ago about an IBM Model M terminal keyboard. Turned out it wasn't terminal, which is better. And it turns out I can, due to being in the right place and the right time and knowing the right person, get an SDL to PS2 cable. Huzzah! No need to buy a soldering iron and practice on scrap first! I get that cable in about a month, though, the wait is killing me.

In the meanwhile, I've found another good discovery. 10 US dollars. IBM Beam Spring. The grand-daddy of all IBM's. It's either a 3101 or a 3727 model, but I can't tell from the pictures. All I know is that it has a 2-row DB15 connection.

Now, here's the thing. This board is dirty and might have a stuck key, if the picture the seller posted is that of the actual keyboard they have. Heck, I'm not even sure if it's in working condition. Either way, some distilled water, peroxide and elbow grease, and I'm putting that thing on a shelf assuming it's not functional. That'd still be 10 dollars well spent in my opinion. I'm buying it as soon as I can.

But let's assume that it is actually working. These guys sold me an impeccable, barely-used, working Model M for 10 dollars, so it doesn't seem to be completely out of the question to me. Is there any way to interface this thing to PS/2 (I'm assuming it's easier to interface to PS/2 than USB, but I'd use either)? Something like Soarer's converter, or would Soarer's work in this case? I can get my hands on soldering equipment and a limited variety of micro-controllers, but not much more than that.

For beamspring you'll need an xwhatsit's controller, but it won't be cheap - about 50 bucks.

http://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/xwhatsit-s-grand-unified-ibm-capsense-usb-controller-thread-t7993.html?hilit=xwhatsit

Alas, there are no alternatives where beamsprings are concerned. But this is a great controlled, easy to install and to configure.

Offline Halvar

« Reply #1394 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 08:58:33 »
There's been a lot of talk about how to get old beam spring boards to work using xwhatsit's controller last year on DT.

xwhatsit's controller is a true marvel, with great both hard- and software. And you don't have to destroy anything in your board to make it work -- you just plug the original controller out, plug the new controller in. It's fully reversible.

I got this one in a very rusty condition (on the inside) and got it to work nicely with some work:

Thread about the restoration:
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/restoring-my-ibm-beam-spring-keyboard-from-ibm-3278-a02-terminal-t8515.html?hilit=3278

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1395 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 09:46:31 »
There's been a lot of talk about how to get old beam spring boards to work using xwhatsit's controller last year on DT.

xwhatsit's controller is a true marvel, with great both hard- and software. And you don't have to destroy anything in your board to make it work -- you just plug the original controller out, plug the new controller in. It's fully reversible.

I got this one in a very rusty condition (on the inside) and got it to work nicely with some work:

Show Image

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/restoring-my-ibm-beam-spring-keyboard-from-ibm-3278-a02-terminal-t8515.html?hilit=3278

That's a thing of beauty

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1396 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 11:00:25 »

You, sir, is a true artisan. And now I want one too...

Offline spoonypirate

« Reply #1397 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 17:30:07 »
This is so great! I converted an AT Genovation 622 numpad today with it, and the longest part by far was testing continuity between the AT pins and the wires on the PCB. Super easy to deal with.

Offline fms

« Reply #1398 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 16:16:59 »
Hey  ;D

I've recently got in my hands a Model F for a couple of bucks (pics below! [1]), I'd love to adapt it, according to what I've seen I could use Soarer's converter or xwhatsit's. Which one do you guys think is the best?  I ordered a Teensy recently to try and make this one, however I also found this converter on ebay [2], anyone bought something from him? is it safe? Nothing I'd ever make will look as neat so if it works I'd probably order it :)

What are the differences between [2] and [3]? I think the one I'll need is [2], anyone can confirm? there are pics on the album of my plug [1].

Also, is there any way to check if the keyboard internals are working before spending on the convertor?

[1] http://imgur.com/a/r55td
[2] http://www.ebay.com/itm/281476427201
[3] http://www.ebay.com/itm/271644933588

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1399 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 16:34:09 »
Hey  ;D

I've recently got in my hands a Model F for a couple of bucks (pics below! [1]), I'd love to adapt it, according to what I've seen I could use Soarer's converter or xwhatsit's. Which one do you guys think is the best?  I ordered a Teensy recently to try and make this one, however I also found this converter on ebay [2], anyone bought something from him? is it safe? Nothing I'd ever make will look as neat so if it works I'd probably order it :)

What are the differences between [2] and [3]? I think the one I'll need is [2], anyone can confirm? there are pics on the album of my plug [1].

Also, is there any way to check if the keyboard internals are working before spending on the convertor?

[1] http://imgur.com/a/r55td
[2] http://www.ebay.com/itm/281476427201
[3] http://www.ebay.com/itm/271644933588

That is an F XT.  The teensy and the ebay items you linked are functionally the same thing.  In fact the firmware on those ebay items should be the same as what you would put on the teensy.  I have one converted with a teensy, though I still get the occasional random keypress on the - in the numpad area, and the space bar sometimes gives a double keystroke.   With my AT, converted with xwhatsit, I don't have these issues, but that is a totally different beast.  Xwhatsit is more difficult to install physically, but programming is stupid easy.