Author Topic: zeal switches on kbdfans  (Read 1551 times)

Offline linch8

zeal switches on kbdfans
« on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 10:24:30 »
Hi guys, do you think the zeal switches on kbdfans are authentic zeal switches? I am looking to buy some 78g and those aren't restocked on zealpc.com yet. I was wondering because I read posts about the two having some problem in the past.. but that was way before I got into this hobby.

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: zeal switches on kbdfans
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 10:48:21 »
In the past, some fake Zeal V1 switches had been sold on KBDFans.

It's my understanding that, in order to continue having a business relationship with ZealPC, KBDFans had to break ties with the manufacturer who sold the fake Zealio V1 and other fake Zeal switches.

So the Zeal tactiles being sold now on KBDFans are Zealio V2 tactiles, these should be the authentic switches produced by Gateron, as well as the other ZealPC switches.

You can also find Zeal switches on Drop.com, but only at designated times.

Offline linch8

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 11:15:44 »

It's my understanding that, in order to continue having a business relationship with ZealPC, KBDFans had to break ties with the manufacturer who sold the fake Zealio V1 and other fake Zeal switches.

So the Zeal tactiles being sold now on KBDFans are Zealio V2 tactiles, these should be the authentic switches produced by Gateron, as well as the other ZealPC switches.

You can also find Zeal switches on Drop.com, but only at designated times.

Thanks! That's what I read too. I have been keeping an eye on them since both kbdfans and zeal sold out their 78g since Feb, but somehow kbdfans restocked faster. When I asked zeal, they said they still need 3-4 weeks to restock. I guess that is normal assuming that Gateron is based in China?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 11:26:16 »

Thanks! That's what I read too. I have been keeping an eye on them since both kbdfans and zeal sold out their 78g since Feb, but somehow kbdfans restocked faster. When I asked zeal, they said they still need 3-4 weeks to restock. I guess that is normal assuming that Gateron is based in China?

Correct
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline jsnsju

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 23:20:47 »
FWIW, the 62g and 67g are available on the ZealPC website. shipping will likely cost less if you're located in North America. I know that's not what you're looking for but just letting you know!  :)

Offline linch8

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 22:45:30 »
Yea, but I'm looking for 78g. Ordered on kbdfans - just waiting them to come  :thumb:
I think the lowest shipping cost option would have been buying them from drop - that is if drop has them in stock. Shipping costs from ZealPC or from kbdfans are actually the same for me, but ordering from zeal FedEx can deliver overnight.

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 07:46:59 »
You could probably just ping Zeal and ask, if you wanted to be sure.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 09:27:33 »
Also 1UpKeyboards carries them as well (they're based in NY, US). Looks like they are low on stock on the 78g versions though.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 10:41:41 »

Are you sure about there having been fake tactile Zealio V1?

As far as I have seen, KBDFans have admitted only to them having had fake Tealios in their store — and those are linear switches. Their existence is also the only ones I've seen evidence of, myself.
KBDFans did however offer refunds also for "Zealios" that had been sold during the time period, if only to put Zeal's and customer's minds at ease.

But the manufacturer of the linear bottom and slider of the fake switch (the top was genuine Gateron) also did make tactile stems similar to the ones in Zealio V1.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 April 2021, 10:48:41 by Findecanor »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 19:16:09 »

Are you sure about there having been fake tactile Zealio V1?

Zeal V1 came up in the discussion about the fakes, as well.

I actually had received some "Zealio V1 R11" switches from KBDFans. And by that time, people were wondering how Zealio V1 R11 was still being sold, months and months after KBDFans received a limited shipment of them. It was as if they had received a truly enormous shipment that lasted a long time, despite demand.

So there was speculation about the Zealio V1 R11 being an unusually long release, even before the fake Tealios were spotted.

I don't remember what people said about Zealio at that time, but I believe photos were circulated of how to spot a fake Zealio from a real one. There were differences in the molds, particularly the housing and legs.

Some people also reported the Zealios feeling different than before. I found mine to be unusually soft and weak.

KBDFans refunded me for my Zealios. Some people had assembled the late "R11" Zealios from KBDFans into builds, and experienced failures with the switches. So maybe they really were counterfeit.

Later on, we would see Everglide Jade switches, which some people say use stems that appear to be Zealio V1. I'm not sure about that, but they are real nice switches when modded. I guess more manufacturers need to be "inspired" by Zealio V1!