Author Topic: What's your favorite pointing device?  (Read 92777 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
What's your favorite pointing device?
« on: Tue, 21 August 2007, 02:42:20 »
IMHO, the best pointing device EVER is the original Logitech Trackman Marble:

The three full-sized buttons is what I love about this trackball.  Right clicking is meant to be done with your ring finger!!  :)

If you MUST have a scroll wheel, then the Logitech Trackman Marble - Wheel is a good alternative (and these, if you can find them, sell for over $200 now days):

Unfortunately, the only thing close that is available (to my knowledge) for sale is the latest iteration from Logitech, the current Trackman:

It's decent, but is not a true three-button device.  (no button for your ring finger unless you squeeze your fingers together)

Offline iMav

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 August 2007, 00:04:05 »
Logitech Trackman Marble - Wheel USED, for $199.   :shock:

Just one example as to just how popular these are.   :wink:

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 August 2007, 15:12:04 »
I bought a Razer Copperhead (blue was the only color in stock) and haven't even considered getting a new mouse since. It works in Mac or Windows despite what the package says.

It has on-the-fly DPI adjustment, so in Photoshop or games, I slow it way down, but for cruising the net I bump it up to normal speed.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 21:30:01 »
I really liked the original 3 button trackball from Logitech, earlier than the one you present above.  It was far more circular, less football shaped.  Inherited it from a previous employee while working in Atlanta.  When it came time for me to buy a new pointer at home...I bought that 3 button trackball that you present above.  Spoiled me forever from really liking mouses ever again.    

Then I wanted to go wireless so I bought a couple of Logitech wireless trackman marbles.  Essentially the wireless version of the third trackball you show.  I used that model for years...love it!

I've never understood the trackman that you were supposed to point with your index finger.  What was that about?

Now I have a 24" Apple iMac and as innovative as the included Mighty Mouse is, I am considering a return to the wireless trackman marble.  

Why doesn't Logitech:

1.  Pair the trackman marble with any keyboard/pointer package?  (All their wireless packages are keyboard and mouse only).

2.  Sell a bluetooth trackman marble?  Why not Logitech, Why?  A bluetooth trackman marble would make it in my bag in record time.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 22:27:12 »
Quote from: ashort
1.  Pair the trackman marble with any keyboard/pointer package?  (All their wireless packages are keyboard and mouse only).

Well, considering all the Logitech keyboards I've seen SUCK...why would you WANT one?

2.  Sell a bluetooth trackman marble?  Why not Logitech, Why?  A bluetooth trackman marble would make it in my bag in record time.

This would be nice.  However, since I own a Thinkpad, I already have the greatest pointing device invented built in!!  The TRACKPOINT!  :)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 22:33:27 »
Quote from: iMav
I already have the greatest pointing device invented built in!!  The TRACKPOINT!  :)

Um, if it doesn't have the words "Trackman Marble" in it, it is not the greatest pointing device invented.  Trackpoint?   PUKE!  That is the absolute worst last resort device.  It is disabled on my Thinkpad and most times, I'll try figuring out the keyboard shortcuts before I enable it.

Until a week or so ago...I had no clue about keyboards sucking or not.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 22:43:14 »
Trackpoint? PUKE!  That is the absolute worst last resort device.  It is disabled on my Thinkpad and most times, I'll try figuring out the keyboard shortcuts before I enable it.

The trackpoint is a pretty divisive, uhhh, device.  You either love it or you hate it.  The hate you  have for the trackpoint pales in comparison to the hate I have for touchpads.  IMO, they are THE crappiest pointing devices ever.  So crappy, that I limited my new Thinkpad purchase to the two models that do no include it...the X-series and the R-series (economy line).

And as far as keyboard shortcuts are concerned...I prefer a keyboard shortcut to reaching for my pointing device regardless of which pointing device that is.  

The beauty of the trackpoint is that you don't have to move your hands from the home row to use it.  Since you are not a touch typer, I guess I can understand not "getting it".  

BTW, you may want to sign the petition.  :)
(only a thousand signatures.  no wonder Logitech hasn't made one yet)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 23:01:58 »
Petition signed.  :-D
Andrew

Offline iMav

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 August 2007, 00:09:02 »
Basically, I feel the trackpoint is THE greatest integrated pointing device there is.

And...the Logitech trackman marble (post "snail" shape, pre-grey colored) is the greatest external device.

Offline SigonLegacy

• http://www.sigonlegacy.com
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 September 2007, 03:21:33 »
Funny thing is, my father owns the original Logitech Trackman Marble and he still uses it to this day. I think he'd cry if something ever happened to it.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 September 2007, 03:24:03 »
Quote from: SigonLegacy
Funny thing is, my father owns the original Logitech Trackman Marble and he still uses it to this day. I think he'd cry if something ever happened to it.

I think all of us here can relate to that.

Offline iMav

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 September 2007, 20:36:09 »
I really liked the original 3 button trackball from Logitech, earlier than the one you present above.

Like this???

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 September 2007, 05:58:42 »
THAT....is it.
Andrew

Offline thedward

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 September 2007, 10:55:04 »
My new favorite pointing device is my Kensington Expert Mouse.

I had used various Logitech trackballs over the years, but after my last one died I decided to try something a bit different. It isn't cheap for a pointing device, but I think it is totally worth it. The larger ball gives more control and having four buttons is a nice bonus. The most unusual thing about the device is the scroll ring which is basically like a scroll wheel, but it rotates around the edges of the ball cavity instead of being perpendicular to the top surface. It took some getting used to at first, but now it feels more natural to me.

Ever since I switched to a trackball as a primary pointing device, mice have driven me crazy (and they suck for playing Marble Madness or Neverball).

Offline iMav

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 September 2007, 15:02:53 »
Quote from: thedward
My new favorite pointing device is my Kensington Expert Mouse.

Are you able to use this device effectively for gaming?  I do know someone that plays both FPS games and real-time strategy games with a similar type of trackball...I have never been able to adjust to using one such as this though.

Offline thedward

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 September 2007, 10:53:58 »
Quote from: iMav

Are you able to use this device effectively for gaming? I do know someone that plays both FPS games and real-time strategy games with a similar type of trackball...I have never been able to adjust to using one such as this though.

I don't play any FPS or RTS games. The only game I've actually played extensively with it is Neverball and for that it is great, but that is admittedly a special case.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 March 2008, 15:32:58 »
TrackPoint IV by far. (Not a fan of trackballs, and mice are merely OK, in my opinion.)

And I even play the occasional game of UT2k4 with the TrackPoint in my X61 Tablet.

As for touchpads... I find the one on my iBook tolerable, but I hate moving to the touchpad to move the mouse pointer. The TrackPoint being RIGHT THERE helps a lot.

Offline iMav

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 01 March 2008, 20:37:29 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;3310
TrackPoint IV by far. (Not a fan of trackballs, and mice are merely OK, in my opinion.)

And I even play the occasional game of UT2k4 with the TrackPoint in my X61 Tablet.

As for touchpads... I find the one on my iBook tolerable, but I hate moving to the touchpad to move the mouse pointer. The TrackPoint being RIGHT THERE helps a lot.

Agreed.  The trackpoint is THE best integrated pointing device available.

I always drop my thumb down to use trackpads (when I find myself having to use one). That's why I don't get the multi-finger gestures.  You're going to FORCE people to remove their fingers from the keyboard?  That's just ridiculous.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 01 March 2008, 21:36:19 »
Well, keep in mind, many people have a rather mouse-heavy usage style, whereas my usage is keyboard-heavy (but with a need to use the mouse.)

And, how I often use the touchpad on the iBook at home... remove right hand from Model M, move to iBook. ;)

Offline djones

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 14 April 2008, 19:03:41 »
I thought the best pointing device was the trackman wheel as iMav asserts in the original posts, but gradually I realized it wasn't such a good to have all that stress on one thumb. Probably my favorite was the big old school kensington trackballs with the the mechanical/metal rollers instead of the new ones which have little plastic points. Also, the thinkpad's trackpoint with a large dome cap is pretty damned comfortable as well.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 14 April 2008, 19:09:42 »
The whole lot of them give me finger cramps.  And just try doign anything in Visio with them.
Andrew

Offline iMav

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 14 April 2008, 20:15:15 »
Quote from: ashort;3979
The whole lot of them give me finger cramps.  And just try doign anything in Visio with them.

I've done some graphics work with a trackpoint before (and some network diagrams...albeit in Dia, not Visio).  

I wouldn't have a problem using a trackpoint exclusively.  I've never plugged an external pointing device into either of my Thinkpads.  

If the new Mighty Mouse replacement comes with a trackpoint option (with three buttons), I could see myself giving up externals for good.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 14 April 2008, 20:18:37 »
That's pretty hopeful, iMav. You never know what this thing is going to look like or how the final will spec out. It could still come out and suck.

Offline iMav

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 14 April 2008, 20:29:45 »
Quote from: xsphat;3984
That's pretty hopeful, iMav. You never know what this thing is going to look like or how the final will spec out. It could still come out and suck.

Yep.  At this point, I don't know what to expect from them.  I guess I'd be happy with the fit and finish of an Endurapro in a Mighty Mouse form factor.  But I'd like a bit more.  (detachable cable, USB hub, 3 buttons, etc)

Offline meltie

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 26 May 2008, 15:32:28 »
Quote from: iMav;9

Show Image

The three full-sized buttons is what I love about this trackball.  Right clicking is meant to be done with your ring finger!!  :)

If you MUST have a scroll wheel, then the Logitech Trackman Marble - Wheel is a good alternative (and these, if you can find them, sell for over $200 now days):

Show Image

Unfortunately, the only thing close that is available (to my knowledge) for sale is the latest iteration from Logitech, the current Trackman:

Show Image

It's decent, but is not a true three-button device.  (no button for your ring finger unless you squeeze your fingers together)

I agree that using the middle finger for middle click and the ring finger for right click is the most comfortable way. That's one of the reasons I like my Logitech Wingman Gaming Mouse so much. It still as a scroll ball and all that, a rather ancient piece of technology.

But when it comes to general ergonomics, of the three trackballs you mentioned I prefer the third. It fits my hand best and has a scroll wheel.

I use the Wingman only as a second mouse on my computer, the main one varies but will always have a scroll wheel, since it is rather inconvenient surfing the net without one.

Offline jemkeys

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 26 May 2008, 16:53:40 »
My favorite pointing device?  -A mouse.

I don't like the idea of taking my hand off the keyboard, but nothing is as fast or exact as a mouse.  I play FPS games, btw.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 26 May 2008, 16:57:38 »
Quote from: iMav;3985
Yep.  At this point, I don't know what to expect from them.  I guess I'd be happy with the fit and finish of an Endurapro in a Mighty Mouse form factor.  But I'd like a bit more.  (detachable cable, USB hub, 3 buttons, etc)

sorry iMav, I think you hope for too much. I am just hopeful that they actually release a Mighty Mouse with clicky keys. Anything beyond that would be gravy.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 26 May 2008, 17:41:43 »
Quote from: bigpook;4879
sorry iMav, I think you hope for too much. I am just hopeful that they actually release a Mighty Mouse with clicky keys. Anything beyond that would be gravy.

I'm expecting a pre-Model M AT style boat with a trackpoint. ;)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 26 May 2008, 18:02:37 »
Quote from: xsphat;4880

Yeah Baby!

It makes sense, after looking at the unicomp web site, could you expect anything less.... : )

Thanks for the laugh, xsphat

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 May 2008, 22:14:31 »
No prob, Bigpook, that's how I do.

Offline iMav

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 May 2008, 22:39:13 »
Quote from: bigpook;4879

"The replacement for the Mighty Mouse with a mouse will be available in 2008 (I hope early in the 2ND QTR).  It will have the same form factor, will be buckling spring and will offer a number of new features which will make it an instant choice of many users."

Same form factor, trackpoint, and buckling springs...PLUS a number of new features.  What else could these unnamed new features be if not things like removable cable, USB hub, etc?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 26 May 2008, 23:03:13 »
With such bold moves as eliminating black keys in favor of grey, do you even care to guess?

Mind you, one of those new features is most likely Windows keys.

Offline iMav

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 27 May 2008, 04:00:10 »
Quote from: xsphat;4884

hahahahahahahaha!!!  (I'm sure you are right though)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 27 May 2008, 19:57:51 »
Quote from: xsphat;4880

Quote from: xsphat;4884
With such bold moves as eliminating black keys in favor of grey, do you even care to guess?

My god man, you should be a comedian. While I love my unicomp board, you hit the nail on the head.
My expectations have been duly deflated.....sigh.
The only bright spot I see is that it will have buckling springs. Beyond that......

Offline iMav

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 27 May 2008, 20:05:34 »
Quote from: bigpook;4896
My god man, you should be a comedian. While I love my unicomp board, you hit the nail on the head.
My expectations have been duly deflated.....sigh.
The only bright spot I see is that it will have buckling springs. Beyond that......

Now that I own an "old school mighty mouse", I have to say that I will purchase a new one even if the only change is to incorporate buckling springs.  This thing reminds me a LOT of typing on an old Thinkpad (which is, for the most part,an enjoyable experience)  The form factor is great...even thought it isn't quite as compact as the HHKB.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 27 May 2008, 20:28:52 »
Quote from: iMav;4897
Now that I own an "old school mighty mouse", I have to say that I will purchase a new one even if the only change is to incorporate buckling springs.  This thing reminds me a LOT of typing on an old Thinkpad (which is, for the most part,an enjoyable experience)  The form factor is great...even thought it isn't quite as compact as the HHKB.

The "old school mighty mouse" is rubber dome, right?

I agree with you though, I like the form factor of the mighty mouse, and will most certainly buy one when/if they become available.
It looks to be the closest I will get to the ibm model m space saver, which I am really liking.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 27 May 2008, 21:08:07 »
The real joke is that I'm planning on buying one if it's even halfway cool. I do like space saver keyboards, and the buckling springs have grown on me recently. If it comes out and I don't like it, I'll get an EnduraPro. So sure, I do talk some mess, but I'll end up giving Unicomp a piece of cash either way.

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 14 August 2008, 17:59:05 »
Quote from: iMav;13
Logitech Trackman Marble - Wheel USED, for $199.   :shock:

Just one example as to just how popular these are.   :wink:

Hey, I have one of those! Anyone want to trade a HHKB Pro for it?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Steelseries Ikari
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 25 September 2008, 06:00:24 »
Well, I have myself a new favourite mouse - the Steelseries Ikari Laser (http://www.steelseries.com/news/press_releases/steelseries_announces_steelseries_ikari_optical_and_laser_professional_gaming_mice)

I got it this morning, its extraordinarily comfortable to use, much moreso than my previous Logitech MX518 which itself was a very well designed mouse. I intend to play some games later on and test its different accuracy settings. Only problem is its cost - it was €60, however they make an optical version which is meant to be cheaper, it just wasnt available on the places I buy from. I'll post further information as I use it more.

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 25 September 2008, 15:39:44 »
Well, let me weigh in here with my vote. One most of you never heard of, and that was hated by just about everyone. Except me, I wore mine out and when I went looking or a new one they were no longer available.

The Thumbelina Mouse was a tiny trackball that was only a bit more than an inch across. Thats the mouse, not the trackball which was about 3/8 inch. Hold it in your hand and run you thrumb across the ball, or fasten the folding bracket to your keyboard.

Graywolf's second law: If he likes it, it will disappear from the market tomorrow.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 02 October 2008, 18:40:00 »
My favourite has to be the Kensington Orbit Optical, followed by the Logitech Marble Mouse. I use the Kensington with my left hand and the Logitech with my right. The Orbit would be perfect if it had one or two extra buttons.  

I also have a Kensington Expert Mouse and Wacom tablet but I hardly use either. The Expert is just too big for my hands. I can't use the tablet for long as it triggers my RSI. :(

Offline bigpook

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 02 October 2008, 19:15:12 »
I had the Kensington Orbit  but ended up sending it back. While I really liked it, I couldn't get scrolling to work on it. If I could of got it to work I would have kept it. I use the Kensington Expert now and really like it, I could see where it would be a problem if a person had small hands though.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 03 October 2008, 00:10:25 »
Chalk me up as another Kensington Expert Mouse user.

Although I prefer the tank-like Expert Mice (or more specifically the ADB "Turbo Mice") of old, with the awesome bearings of industrial steel, and heavy enough to dent a firm mattress.

The scroll "ring" is a nice feature, although its action feels really choppy out of the box.  This is because of a magnet inside that causes resistance with metal parts of the ring on the inside of the mouse.  If you open up the trackball case and remove the magnet, the scroll ring works perfectly smoothly.  Highly recommended.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 19:25:36 »
Quote from: iMav;9

Show Image

Show Image

I saw the those two on Ebay for reasonably cheap. Is there any reason why you'd recommend the non-scroll wheel equipped one over the one with the scroll wheel?

Offline bigpook

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 20:04:16 »
Quote from: ch_123;15866
I saw the those two on Ebay for reasonably cheap. Is there any reason why you'd recommend the non-scroll wheel equipped one over the one with the scroll wheel?

I think you would want the scroll wheel. How else do you scroll through web pages?

Offline cchan

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 20:05:12 »
Quote from: bigpook;15869
I think you would want the scroll wheel. How else do you scroll through web pages?
You tap the middle button and move the cursor up and down. AutoScroll.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 20:12:18 »
Quote from: bigpook;15869

That's what I was thinking :p I was just wondering if by "If you MUST have a scroll wheel" that iMav was implying that the original was better. Unless it was a matter of preference on his part not to have a scroll wheel.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 20:33:20 »
Quote from: Tales;15870
You tap the middle button and move the cursor up and down. AutoScroll.

True that is, and I can do that with my kensington expert mouse. In my case its the top left button. I knew it was there, but tend to use the scroll wheel more. But the auto-scroll is cool.

I still think I would want the scroll wheel/ring though.

What mouse are you using?

Offline bigpook

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 20:34:54 »
Quote from: ch_123;15873
That's what I was thinking :p I was just wondering if by "If you MUST have a scroll wheel" that iMav was implying that the original was better. Unless it was a matter of preference on his part not to have a scroll wheel.

I am sure he will see this post and reply but I am thinking its preference.

Are you using a scroll wheel/ring now?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 06:09:13 »
Yes, and I get rather annoyed when I have to use a mouse that doesn't have on. I guess it was more a case that I was curious why someone would pick a non-scroll wheel mouse over another :)