Author Topic: Why are search engines so bad?  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Why are search engines so bad?
« on: Sun, 28 May 2023, 19:11:49 »
I swear that search engines are weren't as bad as they are now. It's actually really annoying that I have to search reddit after anything that I search to actually get useful information. Not to mention how bad google in terms of data collection and just not being a good browser, but even using firefox I still feel like search engines are really bad (I understand that's probably unrelated though)

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on a good search engine that isn't straight garbage?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Why are search engines so bad?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 May 2023, 02:35:19 »
DuckDuckGo (DDG)
It mixes Bing and Google for a more "sane" result and anonymizes the data so Google can't effectively track. Note that MS still can. Can't win them all.

As for why google is so bad, many in I.T. have also taken notice*. It's a combination of people gaming the system, Google manipulating results, trying to shove ads everywhere and simply trying to make it do too much. The only time I use it now is if DDG fails on something sup[er technical, in which case google can sometimes come to the rescue.

Give it 5, maybe 10 more years, Google will be the next Yahoo, which is what they're scared of and everything they're doing is just exacerbating that problem (actually Yahoo is is still huge).

This is why they're all in on A.I.
Microsoft is currently in the lead and could use Chat GPT to put the screws to Google/Android and Apple to gain a foothold in the cellular market which they've long dreamed of. Why sell phones when you can just be the search engine powering them. Google in particular must at the very least, catch up no matter the cost or lose everything.

*All of Google has gone pretty downhill really. What's new or more importantly, what's new that won't be cancelled in 3 months? They've become so large they want everything to be an instant massive profit maker so building anything ground up is no longer possible for them. This is probably why so many large companies just buy up smaller ones, it's a way to fast track development. Investors want quarterly profits, not R&D for something 4 years down the line.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 May 2023, 03:35:38 »
Does DuckDuckGo actually use Google, and not just Bing?
These past few weeks, numerous times I've searched for something on DuckDuckGo and given up, only to go to
Google and find it there.

AI can **** off. I want my search results less fuzzy, not more.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 May 2023, 05:19:04 »
It's so heavily polarized for advertisers / sellers now.

It's not for finding information anymore, it's almost entirely for finding businesses who sell something related to what you're looking for.

That's certainly true for the first several pages.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 May 2023, 08:08:48 »
Also you need to put in strict search parameters, so it can find answers within the cone of what you are looking for.   Really depends on what you are searching for, but DDG is a good route to start on.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 May 2023, 14:43:53 »
Also you need to put in strict search parameters, so it can find answers within the cone of what you are looking for.
Oh! This brings up a good point as well, totally forgot.

One reason Google has gotten worse is because of this very thing, they're trying to optimize it for common speech patters.  Such as you used to say "specific thing" now they expect something more like "how did specific thing happen". Instead of people adapting they're trying to adapt the engine. This made no sense when they started unless you realize they were getting ready for speech based search. You probably need to play with it more than in the past to find what you're after.

And the worst part, and should have mentioned this...
Not even Google knows entirely how the system works, they make changes and hope for the best. If your listing gets stuck in Google Hell (forced to bottom of the list for manipulation) it can takes weeks and months for Google engineers to help you dig your way out. It happened to Nissan.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 May 2023, 14:53:31 »
These past few weeks, numerous times I've searched for something on DuckDuckGo and given up, only to go to

DDG can take some getting used to but once you do it seems to work a bit better, most of the time.

An alternative you may want to try is searx,info, it's an anonymized Google.

One problem you may be having is people forget that Google manipulates the response based on previous searches you've made, links clicked, and prior visits to those sites. What you get when you search is not always the exact same as what I get for the exact same search query. When the info is anonymized, it draws from a wider base, giving you less tuned results. SearX being only Google would probably make a better stepping stone than straight to DDG as it only uses Google results rather than a mix of Bing and Google, smaller pool of sites and users to mix the results from.

And yes this means the more anonymized, the more fuzzy your result is always going to be. That also may be why I had an easier time switching, I have so much Google/Facebook/tracking in general disabled and blacked at the DNS all the way down to Google's level that my results were rarely tailored to me anyhow.

Want "better" results, allow more tracking.
Personally, I'll take the worse results than give these people anything.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 May 2023, 18:18:00 »

DDG can take some getting used to but once you do it seems to work a bit better, most of the time.

An alternative you may want to try is searx,info, it's an anonymized Google.

One problem you may be having is people forget that Google manipulates the response based on previous searches you've made, links clicked, and prior visits to those sites. What you get when you search is not always the exact same as what I get for the exact same search query. When the info is anonymized, it draws from a wider base, giving you less tuned results. SearX being only Google would probably make a better stepping stone than straight to DDG as it only uses Google results rather than a mix of Bing and Google, smaller pool of sites and users to mix the results from.

And yes this means the more anonymized, the more fuzzy your result is always going to be. That also may be why I had an easier time switching, I have so much Google/Facebook/tracking in general disabled and blacked at the DNS all the way down to Google's level that my results were rarely tailored to me anyhow.

Want "better" results, allow more tracking.
Personally, I'll take the worse results than give these people anything.

Thanks for this. I will probably use Searx (If I can get it to make it my main browser on firefox lol). I heard duckduckgo was good but I just don't want to give Microsoft my data. I would also rather get worse results than give a huge multi billion dollar corporation anything as well, even thought I would like to have the best of both worlds.

Do you think AI will be the next big leap when it comes to search engines, I'm not too invested in that aspect but I hope it does cause google is really bad. I'm just concerned that big companies like Microsoft will monopolized that aspect of search engine technology, which seems to be a potential future (and also the environmental damage that I've heard AI can bring). Hoping that if the technology is viable, there will be a free, private open source version of it.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 May 2023, 20:03:03 »
Thanks for this. I will probably use Searx (If I can get it to make it my main browser on firefox lol). I heard duckduckgo was good but I just don't want to give Microsoft my data. I would also rather get worse results than give a huge multi billion dollar corporation anything as well, even thought I would like to have the best of both worlds.

Do you think AI will be the next big leap when it comes to search engines, I'm not too invested in that aspect but I hope it does cause google is really bad. I'm just concerned that big companies like Microsoft will monopolized that aspect of search engine technology, which seems to be a potential future (and also the environmental damage that I've heard AI can bring). Hoping that if the technology is viable, there will be a free, private open source version of it.
You're welcome.
I agree with you about MS, but it's not like they get a lot from an ad and if you use Windows, they already have your data.

AI will be the next big thing, we know that, but it's not working out even remotely how people expected.
We all thought A.I. would be more factual and it's turning to be more artistic and fuzzy than logical. Want it to calculate something precise or write a legal brief, fail. Want it to write a Seinfeld script or want a picture of your favorite actor riding a space shuttle into space it does amazing. We thought artists were safe, turns out they're the first being replaced by.

Everyone (including MS and Google) expected it to excel in search as it was a natural extension and while I think it will get there for the time being it's a money pit and it won't change any time soon. It's one thing for a search engine to make a mistake and send you to a scam site it's another when it gives you bad medical or legal advice or just straight up lies to you. Not only does it lie but it can even gaslight you. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen and that's why ChatGPT disabled a lot of functions recently. It's like a 5 year old telling you a story and manipulating you into doing it's bidding.

As for monopolizing it for search, it's a lot closer to personal assistants than a product in itself.
No one has been really able to monopolize or even monetize personal assistants, Alexa costs Amazon a TON while Siri and Ok Google helps drive phone sales none of these actually make money for them directly. While I (and MS) could see a world where MS wins out on A.I. search and ends up on every smart phone, I also can't. Everyone and their cousin is racing to catch up and throwing a LOOOOOOT of money at the problem. Also look at history, the first person/company to really make the great leap is usually pushed out pretty fast as they get leapfrogged and/or under estimate what their invention is capable of.

Also, A.I. is broad, no one A.I. is going to do everything, at least not at first.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 29 May 2023, 21:09:22 »

it's turning to be more artistic and fuzzy than logical.

There is psychological research into "focused" thinking and "unfocused" thinking, sometimes called "logical" and "creative" or something similar.

In order to focus an AI, the instruction set needs to be very specific and unambiguous. Except for mathematics that is almost impossibly difficult to acheive.

That's why when an AI is asked to find an end to the Covid pandemic, the simple and easy solution is to eradicate the human race.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 May 2023, 01:16:55 »
AI powered combat dr0nez..  Thoughts ?
Bad, bad idea.
While it can augment a force, it can't replace actual eyes and boots.

More importantly,
Take away the death and destruction and it may as well be Battlebots, people will take sides but there's nothing at risk other than tax dollars. It makes for an endless war machine.
War is supposed to be bad so you try to end it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 30 May 2023, 02:52:12 »
We thought artists were safe, turns out they're the first being replaced by.

It's a lawsuit waiting to happen and that's why ChatGPT disabled a lot of functions recently.

I thought that this wouldn't happen, Like I feel that AI may disrupt the art industry in some aspect but I don't think artists will be replaced because AI can't really create its' own thing they have to take (Maybe that's wishful thinking, I do hope to be a creative one day and I hope that creative fields don't get replaced but knowing corporations they will try and do so to increase profits)

Also isn't AI a legal hellhole in general due to it basically stealing copyrighted material?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 May 2023, 05:25:01 »
Bad, bad idea.

More importantly,
Take away the death and destruction and it may as well be Battlebots, people will take sides but there's nothing at risk other than tax dollars. It makes for an endless war machine.
War is supposed to be bad so you try to end it.

But Tax dollars are not disconnected from people or the war machine.

Instead of having people shot each other, people build machines that shoot each other, in either case, does it not consume "lives" as the people's labor are converted to battlebots?

It would be similar to the olympics

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 May 2023, 13:05:33 »
Also isn't AI a legal hellhole in general due to it basically stealing copyrighted material?
Yes it is.

But Tax dollars are not disconnected from people or the war machine.
Are you sure about that... Just look at the budget talks.
We got out of a war and we give the military even more money.

"You're not against the troops are you?!"
No matter how bad our spending, the military budget only goes up.
Yes, it was a Republican talking point to cut military but that's just a negotiating tactic, something they could "give up" when it came time to negotiate.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline iri

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 31 May 2023, 02:43:38 »
I switched from Google to DDG about 10 years ago because the search accuracy was just terrible. The last straw was Google replacing “fat” with “plus-sized” in “fat bike”.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 31 May 2023, 19:04:38 »
i mean, it's not like we have the alternative

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 01:46:27 »
Bad, bad idea.

Oh look...
https://www.vice.com/en/article/4a33gj/ai-controlled-drone-goes-rogue-kills-human-operator-in-usaf-simulated-test (Vice link)
"The Air Force's Chief of AI Test and Operations said "it killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective.""

Sounds a bit like Stargate Replicators.

Edit:
The Air Force is denying this happened and was a misunderstanding, they too have the same fears.
However, there has been A.I. bots gone rogue in the past, such as the one that escaped the workshop and was only stopped when the extension cord came unplugged.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 June 2023, 01:53:44 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 02:01:17 »
This seems inevitable.

Even in video games, we routinely target our own buildings/ troops if the net outcome is positive for the winning condition.

Similarly, a human body goes into fever or autoimmune responses to protect itself from pathogens.

It stands to reason that AI will follow where advanced logic naturally leads.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 07:20:38 »

Oh look ....

TL;DR  "We must face a world where AI is already here and transforming our society,” Hamilton said in an interview with Defence IQ Press in 2022. “AI is also very brittle, i.e., it is easy to trick and/or manipulate. We need to develop ways to make AI more robust and to have more awareness on why the software code is making certain decisions.”

“AI is a tool we must wield to transform our nations…or, if addressed improperly, it will be our downfall," Hamilton added.
Outside of the military, relying on AI for high-stakes purposes has already resulted in severe consequences.

-  -  -  -  -

The human race has a solid history of immediately going to the Dark Side.

At the turn of the century in 1900 there were no powered airplanes or a theory of relativity - and a just few decades later, before mid-century, atomic weapons had been dropped from airplanes by humans against other humans.

The "Strange New Worlds" episode where a planet developed a "warp bomb" before a warp drive was all too believable.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 07:28:19 »
The "Strange New Worlds" episode where a planet developed a "warp bomb" before a warp drive was all too believable

This is why every country should have nv(lear weapons.

Death is the greatest fairest equalizer, equality to the rich poor hungry sick and lame.

We need weapons parity "Because" we're dumb. Parity is the only thing ensuring that no one will actually use the weapon.

We humans are too stupid on our own and will kill ourselves otherwise.

Take solice in the fact that earth-nature will reboot with another species at some point in a few million years when the rad1a7ion decays enough.

There's a small chance, the Alien-Br0s are watching us and will give us a firm nudge, but no guarantees.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 14:31:00 »
There's a small chance, the Alien-Br0s are watching us and will give us a firm nudge, but no guarantees.
Or they could just see us as some silly pet project and mark our galaxy for destruction in order to construct a new space super highway.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 16:31:29 »
Or they could just see us as some silly pet project and mark our galaxy for destruction in order to construct a new space super highway.

It's very possible they see us that way.

Overall, the most stark weakness in the current generation of humans is our aloofness and apathy for the environment and OTHER SPECIES. Those other species form critical components of our biosphere which makes life possible on the planet.

Fundamentally, one could argue, that without overcoming such prejudice, we will simply not care enough to be able to advance OUR OWN race much further, we're headed for self-destruction if animal agriculture continues as is.

An advanced alien race, to get to where they are, they would have to discover/ adapt/ evolve radically stronger EMPATHY to form a social-collective Stable enough to become space faring.

Stakes are exponentially higher as more technology unlocks. It's kind of like small CNC machines that are cute, and you can run them into the ground without them tearing themselves apart.  But you get to any professional machines, and that thing WILL kill itself if you get sloppy.

This is why Tp4 believes, if Alien-br0s are watching, it's unlikely they'd be apathetic towards our imminent destruction.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 03 June 2023, 01:50:20 »
AI will change this - already using chatgpt and phind at work to not only answer questions but produce useful output (like boilerplate code)
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,