Author Topic: GH-122.2017 Mods, features, and additions  (Read 52013 times)

Offline Phenix

Re: GH-122.2017 Mods, features, and additions
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 08:40:16 »
In which way is Soarers better than QMK?
For me I think QMK istm is better, as it features tap-dance keys..
Winter is coming.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 10:32:07 »
OK, no more tester applications, please!   We'll get to that when we get to that!  :))

The astute reader may have noticed that I completely omitted firmware when I listed my current set of actions.  That is because firmware is not my thing.  (My favorite programming language is solder.)  So I am quite interested in having other people set up various firmware engines for the GH-122.2017.  That is why I have already published the pinouts.

Regarding the "which is better?" question, I have experience with both Soarer and Easy AVR in this form factor.  I do not have any experience with QMX, but can make some general observations about the firmware you will need.

First, memory limitations with 120-150 switches is a problem.  Soarer on a Teensy does not have enough memory to properly configure (IMHO) the appropriate AltGr variations on even an F-122, so I have not been able to program everything I'd like on that.  To be fair, I have not tried a Soarer on a Teensy++, which may improve that.  However, the ability to quickly change keymapping is absolutely a benefit of the Soarer approach, since you will never know how you will use all of these keys until you have the keyboard under your fingers for a while!

Easy AVR, on the other hand, does not seem to have the same memory limitations, although it does require a re-flash for the simplest keymap change.  And it isn't very happy re-flashing from a VM.  However, it has a hard limit of 14 keyboard macros, which just isn't enough for a GH-122 with up to 50 function keys!  I have not looked to see (or asked) if there is a work-around for this constraint, but I hope there is.  I do think that the Easy AVR user interface will make firmware creation and customization easier for most users.

So if there were three people who wanted to configure all three engines for the GH-122, we'd be in the best position for everyone.  I would certainly test each of them once available.

Just my €.02 for the day,

- Ron | samwisekoi
Auto-typed by my GH-122 keyboard, including the € symbol that my F-122 can't remember.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 10:34:56 »
In which way is Soarers better than QMK?
For me I think QMK istm is better, as it features tap-dance keys..

I don't know if it's actually better, but one of my favorite features of it is being able to remap keys without reflashing. It's not a very significant thing, but for someone that doesn't need some of the fancier stuff in QMK, Soarer's might be a better solution for them with a board with this many possible maps.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 12:08:36 »
Thats an good point - amd of cause having the choice is the best
Winter is coming.

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 12:18:11 »
Sorry, just getting excited lol, Both Soarers and QMK are great choices, but i probably would lean to QMK since i may want to add RGB underglow to my build

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #155 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 14:21:55 »
Sorry, just getting excited lol, Both Soarers and QMK are great choices, but i probably would lean to QMK since i may want to add RGB underglow to my build

Yeah, personally I would prefer QMK for the RGB control as well, but I'm still really wanting to port Soarer's mostly to be able to say I made it work and so it's available. Also, not related to the firmware discussion, but last night while I was streaming some gatistotle making I was telling people about this project and I broke out my M122 to actually get a good estimate on the size. I'm not the best at estimating the size of stuff, but realizing this is gonna be nearly as big as an M122 is crazy, an actual battlestation of a board. Tempted to see if I could get someone like 1up or SwitchSmith to make a custom sized sleeve for it and see their reactions.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 14:34:54 »
Tempted to see if I could get someone like 1up or SwitchSmith to make a custom sized sleeve for it and see their reactions.

Probably would be easier to just buy a sleeping bag for it.  :))
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline Phenix

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 15:44:14 »
I would opt for an roof..
this wont be an traveling keyboard (at least for me)..
Winter is coming.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 18:35:19 »
I used Soarer's in my 2016 GH-122.  It actually has a mild issue in that the compiler can't handle config lines >320 or so characters.  You can get there on a row with a lot of media keys and UNDEFINEDs; you end up filling dead spots with siingle letters to make it fit.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Data

« Reply #159 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 12:22:41 »
Note that EasyAVR only works with a custom keymap file (patch) unless Metalliqaz steps in to resolve the pinout issues in the current live version (2.03.01, now 9 months old).

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #160 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 13:39:44 »
Note that EasyAVR only works with a custom keymap file (patch) unless Metalliqaz steps in to resolve the pinout issues in the current live version (2.03.01, now 9 months old).

I have a custom keymap file for the GH-122.2016.  we'll get one for the GH-122.2017 somehow.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Auto-typed by my GH-122 keyboard.

[update]
The attached keymap file was created for a special 2.03.01c version of Easy Keymap.  To make sure it will work for everyone, I just installed it with a fresh download of the live 2.03.01 on DT and verified it is fully functional on the GH-122.2016.
[/update]

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2017, 14:32:59 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 14:59:21 »
Ok, I now have an apparently working Easy AVR keymap file for the GH-122.2017 (all keys).  It seems to work fine in Easy Keymap 2.03.01, so now all I need is a PCB for a functional test.  (I'll release it then.)

Then we will have at least one working firmware generator.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 18:22:35 »

Then we will have at least one working firmware generator.

- Ron | samwisekoi

I've got QMK half-done. Pin assignments are complete, setting up the key placements.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #163 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 23:22:36 »
In between getting cable orders out and doing homework I've been working on setting up the column and row pins in my Soarer's config. Turns out going between the PCB drawing and a teensy++2.0 pinout takes a little time.  :D

I used Soarer's in my 2016 GH-122.  It actually has a mild issue in that the compiler can't handle config lines >320 or so characters.  You can get there on a row with a lot of media keys and UNDEFINEDs; you end up filling dead spots with siingle letters to make it fit.

I'm gonna try to make a complete initial config keeping it as trim as possible. I'm also thinking I can do columns per line instead of rows, which with a board this wide would help quite a bit with keeping characters per line down. I'm looking to have my first test config done the end of this week if I can do some cranking on it during work.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 10:31:37 »
Here. This might help.  It shows the GH-122.2017 matrix with diode numbers and blanks AND regular ANSI 104 key mapping.

(See https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86751.msg2353073#msg2353073 for updated matrix.)

Note, a wiring change from GH-122.2016 to GH-122.2017 is that ANSI and ISO use the same matrix positions for Enter and |\ keys.  This seems weird when you look at a keyboard, but it makes building and mapping MUCH simpler.  Trust me on this one.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.  I'll add my suggestions for a 122-key mapping later today or tomorrow.

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  I don't use WIN, MENU, PRT, SCR, or PAUSE, so I might have gotten those swapped around.  Please let me know if I did.  (Neither my GH-122 nor my JD45 are helpful guides!)
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 February 2017, 10:42:34 by samwisekoi »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #165 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 12:46:49 »
This is how I have the GH-122 (and my F-122 Soarer) set up for 122 keys.

(See https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86751.msg2353073#msg2353073 for updated matrix.)

In Windows, I would map the Fn1+LOCK and ALT+LOCK key as WIN+L.  I don't like a single-press LOCK, but I do like my keyboard to have a LOCK function that works in every OS.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 February 2017, 10:42:11 by samwisekoi »

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 14:43:24 »
Oh yeah, that's gonna make this much easier than following traces on the pictures. Shouldn't take too much to transfer it over, and I'll even have a teensy here Wednesday to test it on. Very slow testing by touching pins, but testing nonetheless.

Edit: Also, I was wondering if you could give us an exact size file that has the mounting holes and some switch cutouts? They guy I have working on my case wants to start doing some initial design testing but needs something to work with.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 January 2017, 20:58:13 by donutcat »

Offline Norman_the_Owl

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 18:48:56 »
So what you're saying is i'll be able to build an alps unsaver?

Currently using an F122 and i love the layout, except i don't use the numpad...Oh baby.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 23:01:06 »
So, I got my initial config built and tested, and I noticed something. It looks like you're stilling using pin D6, specifically for column 22 on the PCB? As tested in the config that I tried, since D6 is the LED pin it DOES NOT work for use in the matrix, for Soarer's at least, as it causes the key used to get stuck repeating. Changing the pin assignment did fix the problem, but where it's set to be used in the PCB, that would limit people that want to use Soarer's without running a wire and cutting the current trace.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 09:22:30 »
Re Alps Unsaver: I think so, yes.  ANSI configuration only for Alps switches.  No winkeyless, sorry.

Re pin D6: Hmmm.  Thanks for the feedback.  That is very useful.  It works fine for Easy Keymap, but let me see what I can do for the Soarer crowd.

Regarding a physical layout drawing; I have intentionally not issued that yet.  I am currently cleaning up the mounting holes and cut lines for the prototype run, and will issue a drawing once that is done.  However, the physical dimensions of the complete PCB, including the corner mounting holes, the LEDs, and the Teensy location are identical to the GH-122.2016.  That drawing is available in that thread.  (I don't want to x-post it here to avoid confusing someone skimming this thread.)

I expect to be ready to publish a prototype drawing in about a week.  And probably more information about the prototype run as well.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 10:23:37 »
pin D6: Hmmm.  Thanks for the feedback.  That is very useful.  It works fine for Easy Keymap, but let me see what I can do for the Soarer crowd.

Ok, V.2.1.2 moves COL_21 to D0 and therefore BACKLIGHT to B7.  This combines BACKLIGHT and UNDERLIGHT on a single PWM pin.

Updated PCB drawings, pinout table, and keyswitch matrices to follow.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 10:27:00 »
I expect to be ready to publish a prototype drawing in about a week.  And probably more information about the prototype run as well.
!!!!!!!!!!

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 10:40:38 »
Updated Matrices showing COL_21 moved to pin D0.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 February 2017, 10:52:50 by samwisekoi »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 11:01:06 »
Updated PCB Layout.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 15:57:29 »
Pre-production PCB layout.

Several notes:

1. Interior mounting holes and cut-lines are not final, and therefore not shown.
2. What is shown is final.
3. Teensy++ 2.0 circuit board and mini B USB connector are centered over column 22.
4. LED holes are centered over column 24, and are centered on the mid-line between rows A and B, and placed on 0.375" centers.
5. All mounting holes are 0.125" in diameter or ~3mm.
6. All LED holes are 0.250" in diameter or ~6mm.
7. Exterior dimensions of the PCB are nominal.  Cases should allow for 1/16" (1.5mm) extra room outside of each edge for slightly oversize PCB cuts.

Drawing is in inches.

Hope this helps.  A more complete drawing or set of drawings will be available after the pre-production run at the latest.

- Ron | samwisekoi

« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2017, 16:04:47 by samwisekoi »

Offline Data

« Reply #175 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 15:59:57 »
Looking good, Ron.  Nice round numbers everywhere.  :cool:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 16:15:30 »
Pre-production PCB layout.

Several notes:

1. Interior mounting holes and cut-lines are not final, and therefore not shown.
2. What is shown is final.
3. Teensy++ 2.0 circuit board and mini B USB connector are centered over column 22.
4. LED holes are centered over column 24, and are centered on the mid-line between rows A and B, and placed on 0.375" centers.
5. All mounting holes are 0.125" in diameter or ~3mm.
6. All LED holes are 0.250" in diameter or ~6mm.
7. Exterior dimensions of the PCB are nominal.  Cases should allow for 1/16" (1.5mm) extra room outside of each edge for slightly oversize PCB cuts.

Drawing is in inches.

Hope this helps.  A more complete drawing or set of drawings will be available after the pre-production run at the latest.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Off to work I go!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 17:18:37 »
Great to see, now I can start getting creative with my case design. Can't wait for this battleship to come to life.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 11:50:59 »
The wise man would wait until Monday before cutting metal or plastic.

That's all I'm saying...

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline elecplus

• Electronics Plus
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 12:00:37 »
Early Apple keyboards had the Alps switches rotated 90 degrees.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 13:30:15 »

That's all I'm saying...

- Ron | samwisekoi

Definitely not cutting anything yet, I'm still in the design drawing stage, but now I have some good numbers to go off of. And also, you didn't say don't cut any wood yet :D

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 13:41:06 »

That's all I'm saying...

- Ron | samwisekoi
CNY restricts any physical progress :'(

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 14:14:04 »
I'm almost scared to think of how much a full alu case would be for this beast lol

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #183 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 14:19:35 »
I'm lookiing to measure out and mill my desk-top, build the keyboard right into my desk.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 16:13:21 »
159597-0
Potato pic from https://www.instagram.com/samwisekoi/

GH-122.2017 custom #keyboard with a full set of 150 custom keycaps from @wasdkeyboards. #geekhack

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #185 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 16:16:12 »
(Attachment Link)

GH-122.2017 custom #keyboard with a full set of 150 custom keycaps from @wasdkeyboards. #geekhack

- Ron | samwisekoi

Good god it's beautiful.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 16:51:58 »
(Attachment Link)

- Ron | samwisekoi

That's such an amazing potato. If I may, what was the approximate price on the caps?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #187 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 17:19:27 »
More information very soon.  I have a few really good deals lined up for GH-122 builders, including keycaps.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Data

« Reply #188 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 22:52:12 »
(Attachment Link)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Awesome.

But you're missing 6 keys.  :confused:

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #189 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 17:26:42 »
I'll just leave this here...

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 17:34:32 »

- Ron | samwisekoi
That's a hell of a minimal case!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 17:37:51 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

Mmm, the lowest of profiles.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #192 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 18:21:59 »
looks nice!

Is the RCTRL caps 1.25u? It looks alike, because of that small gap - am I wrong?
Winter is coming.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #193 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 23:55:52 »
Is the RCTRL caps 1.25u? It looks alike, because of that small gap - am I wrong?

Ah, I had the switch in the wrong position, so it was offset for the photo.  Easy fix.  All better now.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #194 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 10:53:45 »
That low profile case looks nice.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 01:38:59 »
Here's a question now that you've got a built one to test with. What is the fit of the switch legs in the PCB holes? I know some PCBs have a really snug grip on the legs and others are easier to work with. I know I could always snip the legs since I only do plate builds, but I prefer the extra rigidity they give, especially for clicky switches.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 11:32:10 »
Here's a question now that you've got a built one to test with. What is the fit of the switch legs in the PCB holes? I know some PCBs have a really snug grip on the legs and others are easier to work with. I know I could always snip the legs since I only do plate builds, but I prefer the extra rigidity they give, especially for clicky switches.

All the holes are to Cherry specs.  The switch leads are flat, and fit easily into the holes.  They also are easy to de-solder and remove.  And they are very strong when properly soldered in place.

In addition, when I build a keyboard, I use PCB-mount switches for rigidity and proper orientation.  To support this, all of the PCBs I design support PCB-mount (so-called "5-pin") switches.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 14:45:15 »
Alright, so it should probably be a decent fit. I'm just remembering my b.mini that was really snug on PCB mount switches and was a bit of a pain to get them all in.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 11:49:03 »
Check-in update:

My plan is to have a ready-kit for the first/proto builders of the GH-122.2017.  So I have been experimenting with cases and keycaps, as you've seen with my teaser shots.  Unfortunately, one thing I have learned is that 19.5" is too long for acrylic or nylon to span without bending.  So I am working on a basic case design that will be rigid enough, and that design work includes modification of mounting holes in the PCB.

Thus, the proto-PCB is evolving around the edges to help ensure it will work in a slim sandwich case.  (And in a machined metal case.)

In parallel, my 3D-printed prototypes for fancier cases are exhibiting the typical issues of long pieces of plastic.  Warping.  I have about got that sorted, but again, the base might need to be metal.

The good news for both efforts is that a water-jet cut metal base in .125" aluminum would cost around $25 USD for qty=5+.

Anyhow, work continues.  And again, I caution anyone designing a case to please wait for finalized drawings of at least the prototype PCB.

Finally, and this is important, please do not try to have back-and-forth conversations with me outside of this thread.  I check this thread every day, and reply when I can or must.  Trying to also keep up with people who want to use PM or e-mail to discuss topics already in this thread is, frankly, just annoying.  Please use this thread to ask questions about any aspect of the GH-122.2017.

Thanks and best regards,

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Data

« Reply #199 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 12:03:27 »
Interested to see where the case options go for this version.  We were kind of trailblazing in the first round.