Author Topic: [GB] GMK Classic Beige  (Read 193106 times)

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
Re: [GB] GMK Classic Beige
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 01:54:17 »
This is one of the most beautiful keysets that I have ever seen.

Given the quality standards of GMK, the colors that were chosen and the icons in general, I'm pretty sure that this project has potential to become one of the most legendary keysets of all time. I'm extremely excited to see this, it is better than Olivetti. Photekq, or whoever designed the keyset, made an incredible job because I'm seeing one of the most classic and iconic color schemes being reborn. I've been waiting to see something like this for years.

That old school Windows logo keycap is absolutely beautiful.

To me, this GB is a golden chance. I strongly recommend everyone who like vintage stuff to join the buy right away. I guarantee that anyone who miss this group buy will regret big big time.

Such color scheme is a bless to the 60% and 75% layouts and it fits incredibly well in both white and black cases - that normally come with Pokers and Keycools, for example.

Congratulations, because you did one heck of a job recreating this classic, Photokeq. Also, Hoffman, thank you for making this thing affordable to everyone, nicely done.

My only concern, Photokeq, is that the |\ U9 colored keycap is not included in the Base Set. This is forcing people who like symmetry, like me, to buy the $20 $35 Extra Set just to get a single keycap. The |\ keycap definitely should be included in the Base Set, so people don't spend more than they need to. In my case, this is a deal breaker.

Because of the the $20 $35 for the U9 |\ keycap, I will sadly skip this one.

Nevertheless, what an incredible project.

Godspeed.

EDIT: I thought that the Extra Set was priced at $20 but it is actually $35.

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:09:16 by MiTo »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:07:00 »
I forget - this is going to be pre-sorted by GMK but comes in ziplock bags instead of trays, correct?

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:08:27 »

Given the quality standards of GMK, the colors that were chosen and the icons in general, I'm pretty sure that this project has potential to become one of the most legendary keysets of all time. I'm extremely excited to see this, it is better than Olivetti. Photekq, or whoever designed the keyset, made an incredible job because I'm seeing one of the most classic and iconic color schemes being reborn. I've been waiting to see something like this for years.

To me, this GB is a golden chance. I strongly recommend everyone who like vintage stuff to join the buy right away. I guarantee that anyone who miss this group buy will regret big big time.

Such color scheme is a bless to the 60% and 75% layouts and it fits incredibly well in both white and black cases - that normally come with Pokers and Keycools, for example.

Congratulations, because you did one heck of a job recreating this classic, Photokeq. Also, Hoffman, thank you for making this thing affordable to everyone, nicely done.

My only concern, Photokeq, is that the |\ U9 colored keycap is not included in the Base Set. This is forcing people who like symmetry, like me, to buy the $20 $35 pack just to get a single keycap. The |\ keycap definitely should be included in the Base Set, so people don't spend more than they need to. In my case, this is a deal breaker.

Again, congratulations. This is just fantastic.

Godspeed.

Wouldn't make sense to raise base price for everyone just so you can have that one key. Most people don't care for it which is why it's in the extra pack.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:13:17 »
I forget - this is going to be pre-sorted by GMK but comes in ziplock bags instead of trays, correct?

Pretty sure I read that is what's happening.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:13:18 »

My only concern, Photokeq, is that the |\ U9 colored keycap is not included in the Base Set. This is forcing people who like symmetry, like me, to buy the $20 $35 pack just to get a single keycap. The |\ keycap definitely should be included in the Base Set, so people don't spend more than they need to. In my case, this is a deal breaker.

Godspeed.

Wouldn't make sense to raise base price for everyone just so you can have that one key. Most people don't care for it which is why it's in the extra pack.

There's bound to be someone who gets an extras pack that doesn't give a damn about symmetry.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:19:02 »
More

Godspeed.

Also, symmetry is two keys, not one. It's the |\ and `~ keys.  Normally I fight for symmetry, but this is classic beige.  Expecting the main set to have everything to make you happy is not realistic.

Offline FreeChemicals

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:19:44 »
awesomesauce, im getting atleast one of these  :thumb:

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:37:01 »
I'm looking to arrange a deal with someone that won't be using the same caps than I will,
below are the keys I want:

Green: what I want 100% non negociable,
Orange negociable.

Shot me a pm.
I'm ordering one set of each regardless but if I'm trying to save some money because this set is currently costing me 10$/cap.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:47:16 by azhdar »
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:46:36 »

Also, symmetry is two keys, not one. It's the |\ and `~ keys.  Normally I fight for symmetry, but this is classic beige.  Expecting the main set to have everything to make you happy is not realistic.

Symmetry is only the |\ keycap if you consider the 60% layout, because the `~ keycap gets replaced by "Esc" - in such layout. And luckily, the "Esc" keycap is already in U9 on the Base Set.

In this case, I'd say that symmetry matters for 60% users only. If a 60% user don't buy the Extra Set, the modifier column featured on the left side of the keyboard would look perfectly gray, while the right column would be mixed (because the |\ U9 keycap is not included).

To 75% and 100% users this whole thing is not much of a big deal, because like you said this is classic beige and it's perfectly okay to lack symmetry in 75/100% under the classic beige colorscheme - in my opinion.

It was only a suggestion, as I'm predicting a $1,82 rise in the Base Set if both |\ and `~ get added. Many people care about symmetry and it would be nice to have it for a ~$115 price tag. This is a high end keyset and in my opinion it would be good to have everything as compact and cost-efficient as possible, to everyone.

Let's see what happens, I'm very excited for this even though I'll probably skip it. I'm really looking forward to see the final product!

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:53:05 »
I'm looking to arrange a deal with someone that won't be using the same caps than I will,
Show Image

Orange negociable.

Shot me a pm.
I'm ordering one set of each regardless but if I'm trying to save some money because this set is currently costing me 10$/cap.

As a ISO user didn't you forget to put in green the ISO enter key?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 02:57:42 »
Show Image

Orange negociable.

Shot me a pm.

No I'm not because it's wrong legend, it's "Enter" instead of the french one "Entrée". That's also the reason I'm not taking the ISO shift and other caps.
Making expections for caps that don't exist or are too hard to find in original sets , like windowed caps.
I'm
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 03:00:50 »
Show Image

Orange negociable.

Shot me a pm.

No I'm not because it's wrong legend, it's "Enter" instead of the french one "Entrée". That's also the reason I'm not taking the ISO shift and other caps.
Making expections for caps that don't exist or are too hard to find in original sets , like windowed caps.
I'm

How are you doing then? Because it is a QWERTY set. Do you intend on mixing the row profile to get a pseudo AZERTY? How about the ISO enter? Do you have a bag of spare ISO key? :D

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 03:05:31 »
Show Image

Orange negociable.

Shot me a pm.

I'm

How are you doing then? Because it is a QWERTY set. Do you intend on mixing the row profile to get a pseudo AZERTY? How about the ISO enter? Do you have a bag of spare ISO key? :D

The keys that aren't circled won't be used they'll gather dust in closet. I'm buying set to accomodate some layout my Original azerty can't do : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43865.msg1810344#msg1810344
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 03:46:39 »

My only concern, Photokeq, is that the |\ U9 colored keycap is not included in the Base Set. This is forcing people who like symmetry, like me, to buy the $20 $35 Extra Set just to get a single keycap. The |\ keycap definitely should be included in the Base Set, so people don't spend more than they need to. In my case, this is a deal breaker.

Nevertheless, what an incredible project.

Godspeed.

EDIT: I thought that the Extra Set was priced at $20 but it is actually $35.

There is absolutely no chance Photekq will change the kits at this point. He has put much thought into them and I think he came up with the gold standard for GMK GBs. In my opinion all future color ways should be done this way!

The idea behind the extra kit is that people who want special keys like ISO, windowed caps or symmetry caps subsidize each other. Otherwise such a set will never hit MOQ.

The truth is if you don't wanna spend 35$ to get the perfect set for you, you don't want it enough ;)

I think you should just team up with someone who doesn't care for symmetry and just needs the ISO keys or whatever  :thumb:

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 03:54:12 »
I think he came up with the gold standard for GMK GBs. In my opinion all future color ways should be done this way!

+1  100%
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline luckyryan333

• #There'sNoToolForTyping
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 04:22:16 »
I think you should just team up with someone who doesn't care for symmetry and just needs the ISO keys or whatever  :thumb:

+1 100%
No PaiN, No GaiN
More
How to order from Taobao from outside of China and WITHOUT an Agent
daily driver: C70 w/ Oblivion
on the way: d65_12/gmkblk_3

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 05:51:51 »
This is so hard to pass up. I've been wanting a set like this for ages. People who have been around a while and have boards with these colours already might be forgiven for thinking this is a bit boring, but to me this will be something not to be missed.

The exchange rate is really bad at the moment no matter what currency, otherwise I would have jumped on this without hesitation.

It will probably have to be another last minute close my eyes and just click "BUY" in the last few hours before the deadline. I did the same with GMK Hyperfuse.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 06:06:10 »
I'll be ordering a set here in a week or two.

Now, for those who don't know or didn't read the OP thoroughly enough... You should buy the complimenting RGB modifier set. Let's make this combination a reality!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73626.0

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 06:36:59 »
Here's the thing.. Many of the keys in the extra set are very popular keys, such as 1.75 shift and windowed lock keys. I could've added them to the main set and nobody would've complained about the extra cost. However, I put them in the extra set to make it more appealing and to keep the main set very barebones. So that the extra set would get more orders, and so that less popular keys would be able to become a reality. U9 symmetry keys definitely fall under 'less popular' in my eyes.

Thank you for your compliments.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 06:49:06 »
A few random things..

1. Sorry if any exchange rates are bad. I looked around at various foreign cards and they seemed very acceptable for 'selling' your home currency (i.e buying this set). I think the worst I found was about $120 for the main set. Still a good price imo. If I did things in $ the exchange rates would be bad for everyone else.

2. I'm incredibly surprised about this.. The extra set actually has more orders than the main set.

3. Fixed 2 errors with the shipping module. Everything should be good now.
github

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 07:05:32 »

2. I'm incredibly surprised about this.. The extra set actually has more orders than the main set.

I guess people want to use it for their vintage cherry sets  ;)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 07:18:23 »
github

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 08:27:39 »
I'm definitely going to place an order. Thanks for running this!

Offline geniekid

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 09:06:26 »
I've subsidized so many ISO and symmetry users in other GMK GBs I feel it's only fair they subsidize my HHKB keys :P

In for 2 full sets and 2 mods!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 09:15:35 »

This is correct.  It should be a relatively speedy turnaround.   :thumb:

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 10:01:37 »

and safe shipping!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 10:02:52 »

less work for you too! win win win!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 10:08:03 »
Just a note to everyone.. I understand that since this is pay as you order, rather than put your name down on a form and get invoiced after, a lot of people will hold out until the end.

Just wanted to say that those who order first will have their orders shipped out first. Order ASAP!
github

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 10:09:56 »
Just a note to everyone.. I understand that since this is pay as you order, rather than put your name down on a form and get invoiced after, a lot of people will hold out until the end.

Just wanted to say that those who order first will have their orders shipped out first. Order ASAP!

It's not a question of when I want to order.  It's how much money can I get/spare by the deadline for extra sets.

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 10:23:48 »
Ordered. Stoked to finally ditch my SP moogle kit and get the hhkb layout in beige.
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 10:31:54 »
Ordered. Stoked to finally ditch my SP moogle kit and get the hhkb layout in beige.

Yeah, I just want a moogle kit! I have so many beige Cherry sets...

I will pick up one set, though, toward the end.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline skuko

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 10:38:41 »
will be hard to resist this!

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 11:02:32 »
There's absolutely no chance Photekq will change the kits at this point. He has put much thought into them and I think he came up with the gold standard for GMK GBs. In my opinion all future color ways should be done this way!

The idea behind the extra kit is that people who want special keys like ISO, windowed caps or symmetry caps subsidize each other. Otherwise such a set will never hit MOQ.

The truth is if you don't wanna spend 35$ to get the perfect set for you, you don't want it enough ;)

It was just a suggestion, I'm not asking him to change anything - I only made a suggestion regarding keycap distribution, logistically speaking because of my own experience, and it's up to him wether he will accept the suggestion or not. As I already said, every keyset offers the symmetry pack in the Base Set so people don't need to spend extra money on useless keycaps. I'm a 60% standard user, I don't need stepped keycaps nor windowed keys nor non standard sized keycaps. I'm okay with buying the useless to me numpad to chop down costs to all of the 100% users, but unfortunately, I can't "donate" R$131,40 in my local currency to the cause (for the Extra Set to get made) in exchange of a single doubleshot gray keycap - even though I really wanted to join the Group Buy and share costs with everyone here. Sadly R$131,40 is just too much for me.

Photekq explained why he decided to not include such keycaps in the Base Set and I comprehend his point entirely, even though I strongly disagree.

Making this division to propel the sales of the Extra Set is a bad move in my opinion. Maybe, it will prevent other people from buying the set, because 60% users who like symmetry will pay $35 for a single 2shot keycap. Not to mention that hundreds of non standard keycaps will be kept in drawers - but I'm extremely happy to see that this is not a deal breaker to many people and everyone is joining the buy! This is a high end keyset and if you really can afford everything without worries, regardless of the price, well that's a bless! One day I will have money to fund my hobbies without a financial limitation, but I gotta graduate first.

Photekq said that there are more orders for the Extra Set than the Base Set, so you can see that there's no reason for the symmetry keycaps to be out of the Base Set.

This whole deal is a logistic failure to me, as the costs wouldn't rise to a relevant level and the number of sales of the Extra Set wouldn't be affected. It is not justified because every set offers symmetry on the... Well, Base Set which is called Base Set for a reason. You get the basic keycaps you need to achieve a good luck, for a reasonably balanced amount of money.

Nevertheless I'm really looking forward to the keyset. It is incredibly cute and I'm super excited to see the final product!

Again, Photekq, congratulations for the design!

PS: If there's anyone interested in parting ways with their symmetry keycaps from the Extra Set, shoot me a PM. I'd gladly proportionally share the costs and ship you snacks from Brazil.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 11:10:57 »
There's absolutely no chance Photekq will change the kits at this point. He has put much thought into them and I think he came up with the gold standard for GMK GBs. In my opinion all future color ways should be done this way!

It was just a suggestion, I'm not asking him to change anything - I only made a suggestion regarding keycap distribution, logistically speaking because of my own experience, and it's up to him wether he will accept the suggestion or not. As I already said, every keyset offers the symmetry pack in the Base Set so people don't need to spend extra money on useless keycaps. I'm a 60% standard user, I don't need stepped keycaps nor windowed keys nor non standard sized keycaps. I'm okay with buying the useless to me numpad to chop down costs to all of the 100% users, but unfortunately, I can't "donate" R$131,40 in my local currency to the cause (for the Extra Set to get made) in exchange of a single doubleshot gray keycap - even though I really wanted to join the Group Buy and share costs with everyone here. Sadly R$131,40 is just too much for me.

Photekq explained why he decided to not include such keycaps in the Base Set and I comprehend his point entirely, even though I strongly disagree.

Making this division to propel the sales of the Extra Set is a bad move in my opinion. Maybe, it will prevent other people from buying the set, because 60% users who like symmetry will pay $35 for a single 2shot keycap. Not to mention that hundreds of non standard keycaps will be kept in drawers - but I'm extremely happy to see that this is not a deal breaker to many people and everyone is joining the buy! This is a high end keyset and if you really can afford everything without worries, regardless of the price, well that's a bless! One day I will have money to fund my hobbies without a financial limitation, but I gotta graduate first.

Photekq said that there are more orders for the Extra Set than the Base Set, so you can see that there's no reason for the symmetry keycaps to be out of the Base Set.

This whole deal is a logistic failure to me, as the costs wouldn't rise to a relevant level and the number of sales of the Extra Set wouldn't be affected. It is not justified because every set offers symmetry on the... Well, Base Set which is called Base Set for a reason. You get the basic keycaps you need to achieve a good luck, for a reasonably balanced amount of money.

Nevertheless I'm really looking forward to the keyset. It is incredibly cute and I'm super excited to see the final product!

Again, Photekq, congratulations for the design!

PS: If there's anyone interested in parting ways with their symmetry keycaps from the Extra Set, shoot me a PM. I'd gladly proportionally share the costs and ship you snacks from Brazil.

As if symmetry was the reason people buy more Extra Set than base.

What attract people to buy the extra set is :
1/Windowed caps
2/HHKB
3/ISO
4/75% & symmetry

in that order.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Belfong

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 11:11:34 »
Nothing against you Mito but I find it interesting that you have praises and criticism in your post, as though you try to thread crap and then sing praises at the same time. All because of one key. It would have save you time by just saying "WTB one key, sell me. "

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 11:18:01 »
I would hardly call this a logistic failure. I'm a big fan of symmetric layouts for 60% boards, but it is by no means essential.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 11:28:11 »
Thanks for your input mito, but it has not swayed me.

The point of the extra kit is to help keys that usually would not reach MOQ reach the MOQ :

1u backspace
1u \|
1.5u backspace
R3 Controls
Home/End for 75%
R5 Caps lock
Symmetry keys

If the extra kit were made up of those keys alone I seriously doubt it would reach MOQ. So, I moved some insanely popular (but not necessary for standard keyboard layouts) keys from the main set to the extra set. Windowed locks, ISO, 1.75u shift and Fn.

I just think you overestimate the popularity of symmetry keys. They aren't essential. They aren't even the most popular or widely used keys in the extra set, never mind the main set. They're in the right place here.

One other thing you have not considered. Classic Beige is a reproduction of old Cherry sets. There are already tonnes of the original sets out there! However, none of them have symmetry keys. If the symmetry keys were in the main set people who already have the originals would have to spend 3x as much on a main set just to get them. As is, they can just buy the much smaller extra set - it's the perfect 60% conversion kit with the 1.75 shift and Fn key.

Don't think that I'm not happy to hear suggestions for possible future sets, because I am. I just don't agree at all with this particular criticism. I guess we both just have different opinions. Let's leave it at that, shall we?
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2015, 11:31:10 by Photekq »
github

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 11:48:40 »
Show Image

Orange negociable.

Shot me a pm.

I'm

The keys that aren't circled won't be used they'll gather dust in closet. I'm buying set to accomodate some layout my Original azerty can't do : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43865.msg1810344#msg1810344

Interesting. I think, with 1 base set and 2 extras, you can chime in with someone who wants a hhkb layout who is willing to giveup 2 1x windows keys. If only I have funds right now for this set I would have grab it. Anyway, please let me know if how much will you let go the rest of the base set. :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 11:52:46 »
It is not justified because every set offers symmetry on the... Well, Base Set which is called Base Set for a reason. You get the basic keycaps you need to achieve a good luck, for a reasonably balanced amount of money.

What "should" be included in the Base Set is opinion, though.  I have zero interest in symmetry, but do want HHKB layout, so my ideal base set would have HHKB keys and not the ones you describe.  Just because some other buys do it one way does not make it the golden standard, or even the best way.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 11:58:42 »
Just placed my order and paid up!

Let's hope we reach MOQ soonTM    :thumb:

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:02:02 »

The point of the extra kit is to help keys that usually would not reach MOQ reach the MOQ :

1u backspace
1u \|
1.5u backspace
R3 Controls
Home/End for 75%
R5 Caps lock
Symmetry keys

If the extra kit were made up of those keys alone I seriously doubt it would reach MOQ. So, I moved some insanely popular (but not necessary for standard keyboard layouts) keys from the main set to the extra set. Windowed locks, ISO, 1.75u shift and Fn.

I just think you overestimate the popularity of symmetry keys. They aren't essential. They aren't even the most popular or widely used keys in the extra set, never mind the main set. They're in the right place here.

One other thing you have not considered. Classic Beige is a reproduction of old Cherry sets. There are already tonnes of the original sets out there! However, none of them have symmetry keys. If the symmetry keys were in the main set people who already have the originals would have to spend 3x as much on a main set just to get them. As is, they can just buy the much smaller extra set - it's the perfect 60% conversion kit with the 1.75 shift and Fn key.

Don't think that I'm not happy to hear suggestions for possible future sets, because I am. I just don't agree at all with this particular criticism. I guess we both just have different opinions. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

I perfectly comprehend the point of the Extra Set as it is. You believe that symmetry is secondary and you was afraid that it could potentially not meet MOQ if the symmetry caps weren't there. Even though I disagree with the logistic direction you decided to take, I completely comprehend why you did it and I'm honestly happy to see that the Extra Set sold so many unities already. This is fantastic, everyone will get what they need!

I forgot that that there were Cherry reproductions out there already, and you are right because I did not considered this. Makes sense to offer these symmetry keycaps in the Extra Set, so that Cherry reproduction owners don't need to get thet whole Base Set just for symmetry.

A suggestion for the next time: perhaps you could include symmetry keycaps in both Extra and Base sets, so that both groups (reproduction owners and symmetry lovers on a budget) would be covered! I never tried to sway you, it was just a suggestion and I hope you didn't feel criticized in a bad way, as I tried to express my personal concerns and feedback at the same time, so you can improve for the next one.

Best of luck my friend, the keyset is looking hella sharp!

Offline mbrown559

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:05:11 »
Will be ordering 2 base sets towards the end.  Need to wait for my wallet to rebound after the other GMK buys.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:06:08 »

1u backspace
1u \|
1.5u backspace
R3 Controls
Home/End for 75%
R5 Caps lock
Symmetry keys

I perfectly comprehend the point of the Extra Set as it is. You believe that symmetry is secondary and you was afraid that it could potentially not meet MOQ if the symmetry caps weren't there. Even though I disagree with the logistic direction you decided to take, I completely comprehend why you did it and I'm honestly happy to see that the Extra Set sold so many unities already. This is fantastic, everyone will get what they need!

I forgot that that there were Cherry reproductions out there already, and you are right because I did not considered this. Makes sense to offer these symmetry keycaps in the Extra Set, so that Cherry reproduction owners don't need to get thet whole Base Set just for symmetry.

A suggestion for the next time: perhaps you could include symmetry keycaps in both Extra and Base sets, so that both groups (reproduction owners and symmetry lovers on a budget) would be covered! I never tried to sway you, it was just a suggestion and I hope you didn't feel criticized in a bad way, as I tried to express my personal concerns and feedback at the same time, so you can improve for the next one.

Best of luck my friend, the keyset is looking hella sharp!
But symmetry will always be in the majority and is not useful enough for everyone to have it increase in price for both sets..

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:08:58 »
I wish this had 1800 support. :(

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:10:03 »
If we hit 400 orders it will likely be added!
github

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:18:17 »

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

If it does, damn I will need to start hooking real quick.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:24:19 »
If it does, damn I will need to start hooking real quick.

Is this some sort of slang?  O.o

Offline pmh1410

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:35:12 »
I hope that you add more Menu Text 1x ;)
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club

Keyboards Collection: Powered by OTD
TKL: 360C Hyper Silver, Cheat B/R/B
Mini: 356mini Red, Duck Poker + 38GT.

Offline luckyryan333

• #There'sNoToolForTyping
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:38:27 »

If it happens, let us know it please.
I think lots of 1800 lovers all over the world may hesitate to join this GB because of the absence of 1800 caps.
No PaiN, No GaiN
More
How to order from Taobao from outside of China and WITHOUT an Agent
daily driver: C70 w/ Oblivion
on the way: d65_12/gmkblk_3

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:53:53 »

nowyouhavemyattention.gif