geekhack Community > Reviews

Ducky 1087XM with Black switches

(1/3) > >>

Demofly:
First I would like to say that I am not good at reviews lol.

Specs of the keyboard that I think are of interest:
-45g Linear switches
-Numlock that creates a number pad in the middle of the letter keys
-Only 15g required to actuate...seriously

Pros:
-Inexpensive
-TKL format
-Still has a numpad if you really need to do some hardcore data entry
-Pretty nice to type on once you get used to the actuation point

Cons:
-Key noise sounds hollow and plastic
-Very common casing defects
-Actuation point is too high for most people
-Key cap printing is fading within 3 days
-Spring weight inconsistent, some keys feel like they are heavier than others (excluding the white switches on caps, tab and numlock)
-The Tab key is 80g and I want to kill myself every time I use it
-Removable USB cable

http://global.pchome.com.tw/english/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=DCAH0X-A59130655&SR_NO=SBAE0W&ROWNO=1&tm=e

kboardvintage:
removable usb "cons"?

Halverson:

--- Quote from: kboardvintage on Tue, 19 February 2013, 07:07:50 ---removable usb "cons"?

--- End quote ---

I think the con of having it removable is the chance of damaging the connector from constant removal and insertion.

FoxWolf1:

--- Quote from: Halverson on Tue, 19 February 2013, 07:42:03 ---
--- Quote from: kboardvintage on Tue, 19 February 2013, 07:07:50 ---removable usb "cons"?

--- End quote ---

I think the con of having it removable is the chance of damaging the connector from constant removal and insertion.

--- End quote ---

And even if you never remove the connector, the possibility of damage is still increased in most implementations: the USB cable plugs directly into a connector attached to the PCB, so there is less opportunity for stress relief than in an implementation where the cable can wrap around a post or something internally before attaching to the PCB.

Demofly:
After 5 days of use the W printed on the W key is gone.

RIP.

I have got more used to the switches and their actuation point. I'm back up to 110wpm like I usually am. Perhaps these switches have made me a more accurate typer because I have to be so careful to not accidentally nudge a key. However, if I go back to my cherry switches I am slower than I used to be. This keyboard definitely changed the way I type and it makes the 55g MX blues feel heavy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version