Author Topic: Listmixer: one of the most useful web utilities ever  (Read 2347 times)

Offline wellington1869

Listmixer: one of the most useful web utilities ever
« on: Sun, 21 December 2008, 17:06:16 »
This is one of those web utilities that I use so much that its just become an invisible part of my life.
It fills a very specific and narrow need but fills it very well.

So have you ever been browsing and you want to temporarily bookmark a website?
Normally we bookmark it in our favorites or put a link to the desktop. And those "temporary" bookmarks keep adding up and pile up and at some point in the future you have to go thru and houseclean and delete them all out.

Well, what listmixer does, is it allows you to temporarily bookmark a site using a bookmarklet. Your list of bookmarks is saved at the listmixer site, and each bookmark automatically expires after 30 days and is deleted.

Easy as heck to use, 1-click everything. Keeps a lot of junk from accumulating in my favorites tree or on my desktop.

Listmixer - "throwaway bookmarks"

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 December 2008, 20:18:34 »
Looks good, but I have a feeling I'd want the link in 31 days every time. This is just the way my life goes ... with everything.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 December 2008, 20:57:14 »
Quote from: xsphat;15732
Looks good, but I have a feeling I'd want the link in 31 days every time. This is just the way my life goes ... with everything.

well its intended for temporary stuff -- so for instance I bookmark my ups tracking web pages on there (for all the keyboard packages I'm waiting for, lol).

Or if your comparison-shopping for something, its handy there too. Generally you wont need to save all the sites you're looking at once you've decided where to buy something.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline andb

Delicious!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 04:21:24 »
I definitely understand the need to keep a clean tree of bookmarks.

I'd say that the solution isn't to store low priority bookmarks outside the tree, the solution is to move away from the tree paradigm. Let me introduce you to tagging ;)

Wait, you say! Neither IE nor firefox can do tags, everyone knows they store bookmarks in a tree!

Download the Yahoo version of the Firefox delicious add-on (there is a 2nd out there that is not as good). Install it and set up an account. Then install this great plugin on all your computers, you can now share your bookmarks, even access them from other computers via the delicious site! So what to do if you use IE? Switch to firefox :D

Since you can search easily now, it doesn't matter if you have a million bookmarks (Im halfway there already, I think). Want to keep things clean? Add a "tmp" tag to the temp ones, then you can easily find them all and just delete them.

So this is the way I've dealt with my bookmarking needs, both long term and temporary. It works pretty well.

Btw, the delicious add-on can be set up to automatically to not share your bookmarks if you want more privacy, however keep in mind that they are still on a 3rd party server.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 04:37:16 »

Let me introduce you to tagging

lol, I'm sure that works well. For me though, you're talking to someone who a)never liked tags, still likes folders and trees; and b)doesnt use firefox or delicious ;)

I've gone thru the 'tags vs folders' debate a gazillion times, and really tried to like tagging, but I never liked it. A folder tree (with full text search) just seems so much more logical to me. But anyway thats a whole 'nother topic ;)  I'm sure it works fine for some, but I know there are also some out there like me who stick to old fashioned epistemology, taxonomy, and chronology to organize information ;)  

(I'm actually not opposed to tags so long as I can also have folders. Surfulater (which I use extensively for my bookmarks) offers both. Most organizing schemes tho, weirdly, seem to imply that it has to be one or the other and force you to choose).

Offline lal

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 05:12:12 »
Quote from: andb;15764

Wait, you say! Neither IE nor firefox can do tags, everyone knows they store bookmarks in a tree!

Firefox 3.0.5
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010