Author Topic: Any of you do hand-painted keycap customization?  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
Any of you do hand-painted keycap customization?
« on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 18:03:53 »
Have any of you artistic types tried to do hand-painted keycap customization? For example, using acrylic paint, enamel paint, nail polish, oil-based waterproof markers, etc to highlight specific keycaps by painting a border rim around the top face, or make the legend bolder/different color, etc. You can even get really creative and paint images onto the keyboard's frame or on the keycaps. A protective coating could seal the paint and make it more permanent, and if it eventually wears off, you could just touch it up.

I've been painting my keyboards for a few years now, and I started doing it because I wanted to make certain keys more obvious, and I didn't know anything about the keyboard community and all the customization options, so I just tried to DIY according to my needs. Now that I know there are custom keycaps I can buy, I'm a lot less inclined to do hand-painted customization, since it's so time-consuming and it's difficult to make it look perfect. But for rare cases where the commercial options are not ideal or too expensive, I might still do it from time to time to make certain keys more obvious in dim light or just quicker to find when doing critical work.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Any of you do hand-painted keycap customization?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 19:15:48 »
Mandolin has done some great work.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65333.0
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 06:11:42 »
Hi Lunatique. Must have been 10 years or so.   ;D

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 15:38:23 »
Mandolin has done some great work.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65333.0

That's a whole other level of DIY.  :eek:

What I did was much more modest--just simple highlighting of specific keycaps like this:

83651-0

Hi Lunatique. Must have been 10 years or so.   ;D

Hahaha, I always seem to run into "ghosts of the CG past" in other geek-related forums. I run into members from sijun and cgtalk on music/audio forums, photography forums, and now keyboard forum.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 23:33:47 »
There were a lot of hand painted and nail polish painted keycaps a while ago on GH.

NIQmods did some automotive painted ones. I have some nail polished ones, but I don't know who did them. I can take pictures if you like.

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 00:13:38 »
There were a lot of hand painted and nail polish painted keycaps a while ago on GH.

NIQmods did some automotive painted ones. I have some nail polished ones, but I don't know who did them. I can take pictures if you like.

Yes, I'd love to see some photos. Thanks!