Author Topic: HHKB 2 vs Realforce 87U 45g  (Read 45956 times)

Offline Altis

HHKB 2 vs Realforce 87U 45g
« on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 15:57:15 »
So I've gotten my HHKB Pro 2 since after all this time, I really wanted to try it. What I'm about to say might rustle a few jimmies, but alas, in case anyone is trying to decide whether or not to try it, here are some thoughts.

The HHKB feels harsher than the Realforce 87U 45g. I'd say that the key weighting feels a bit heavier than the 45g in the Realforce. The sound is a lot harsher since the bottom-out sound is louder, the upstroke has a sharper but lower-pitch sound, and there is quite a noticeable amount of grittiness to the keys (some more than others).

I'm thinking of trying to figure out some way to sound deaden the case and maybe try lubing the stems because right now, it feels like a cheap version of the 87U. The Enter key makes a thud, some keys are quite a bit louder than others, the spacebar makes a bit of a hissing/gritty sound. The outer keys (ASD-L;') sound pretty good (fairly quiet, high pitch 'click' on upstroke) while the central (FGH) keys sound very harsh (hollow thock, loud 'clack' on upstroke). It makes for a pretty uneven typing sound. By comparison, the keys are far more consistent with their sounds on the Realforce boards -- they still vary a bit, naturally, but it sounds like one keyboard.

The layout isn't bad, though it would make a lot more sense to have the backspace/delete keys better sorted (or at least more options using the dip switches). Using the function key for arrows and navigation isn't all too bad, really, though if the function key itself were lighter I think that would feel better for my pinky (it doesn't like heavy keys much).

The build quality is generally pretty good, though the top case is slightly overhanging the bottom case on either side by quite a bit, which feels funny when you pick it up or move it from its sides.

After typing on it for a bit, I can kind of look past some of its qualities, but the moment I type on my Realforce it feels much smoother and more refined, as well as sounding better. The typing angle is noticeably steep. It isn't too bad when I'm sitting, but on my standing desk you can really tell. I suppose this depends entirely on your typing setup.

I really wanted to love the HHKB (at nearly a whopping $400 Canadian by the time it gets here), but right now I'm just not so sure. I do enjoy typing on it still, but it's hard to like it enough to have it worth this much money.

I do like how light it is and having the USB ports on the back is certainly handy at times. I'll probably report back after using it for a few weeks. Right now, between the two, I'd say the Realforce 87U is the better of the two, especially for use around people who might not appreciate the various thocks and clacks from the HHKB. I also really don't think the HHKB is worth the amount I spent on it, though much of that is due to the Canadian dollar and import charges right now.

Here you can see the typing angle of the HHKB vs the 87U (and some other boards):

And while I have you here, I might as well show you my KUL ES-87 and QFR with some nice PBT keycaps.  :cool: They look better in person as the lighting and white balance is off but you get the general idea.

EDIT
Update (copied from later post):

Although I still maintain all my original critiques of the HHKB, I really do enjoy using it. It's fun to type on and the layout really isn't too bad. I would change a few of the secondary key positions -- they make sense logically where they are, but they are less practical. For example, I would move the 'PrintScreen' from the 'i' to the ']' key just so that it's easier to reach.

I think I'm going to add some sound deadening to the case to reduce the hollowness and hopefully reduce the gritty sounds. I might also lubricate the stems and see if that makes a difference.

I am definitely keeping this keyboard though and I don't regret buying it, even though it cost an unreasonably high amount to get it here in Canada.

One thing is for sure: it has character... and whether or not it's objectively great, it has that second kind of cool that just makes you want to keep hacking away on it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2015, 18:32:34 by Altis »
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: HHKB 2 vs Realforce 87U 45g
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 17:29:16 »
Man, this is the exact review I've been looking for. I've been heavily debating which Topre board to get and it boiled down to these two. I also just ordered two 60% keyboards (MX) so I'm not sure I want to add a third. Been leaning towards Realforce and I think you just me a good reason to trust my gut.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Altis

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 18:29:49 »
Man, this is the exact review I've been looking for. I've been heavily debating which Topre board to get and it boiled down to these two. I also just ordered two 60% keyboards (MX) so I'm not sure I want to add a third. Been leaning towards Realforce and I think you just me a good reason to trust my gut.

I'm glad you found it useful.

I still say that the Realforce 87U is the best Topre board (hence having two) and is pretty much my favorite keyboard at this point. If you don't like Topre switches in an 87U, I suspect you won't likely enjoy them in anything else.

The big debate for that seems to be 45g vs 55g, with most people around here preferring the 55g. I personally far prefer the 45g (uniform) though.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 00:17:59 »
Interesting review. I had a different experience personally, having started with a Leopold and then moved on to a HHKB Type-S, and it seems most people find that the HHKB, due to its case-mounted rather than plate-mounted switches, has a more organic feeling and sound to it, which I agree with. 

Offline tjcertified

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 00:44:38 »
I have tried both the HHKB and just recently received a RealForce 87UB EK (45g uniform). The HHKB definitely has a distinct sound, but the RealForce is very close. I prefer the RealForce so far, just because of the layout. I had the HHKB for two weeks, and found the need to chord for many of my keystrokes (I am a programmer, so a lot of Fn key shortcuts) distracting. I want my keyboard to be high quality, but I also want it to not impede my typing, so RealForce was a definite winner for me.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 00:48:54 »
I have tried both the HHKB and just recently received a RealForce 87UB EK (45g uniform). The HHKB definitely has a distinct sound, but the RealForce is very close. I prefer the RealForce so far, just because of the layout. I had the HHKB for two weeks, and found the need to chord for many of my keystrokes (I am a programmer, so a lot of Fn key shortcuts) distracting. I want my keyboard to be high quality, but I also want it to not impede my typing, so RealForce was a definite winner for me.

I found similar using my HHKB under Windows.  I was too dependent on arrow keys, home/end and function keys to be able to use it efficiently, so I took it home and use it on my Mac.

Macs make far more use of cursor movement Ctrl sequences, and with the Ctrl key where it is on the HHKB it is super easy.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tjcertified

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 01:20:02 »
The first thing I changed via dips on the RF was the Ctrl and Caps Lock keys, so I completely agree with the placement. I found your comments interesting because I used my HHKB on a Mac, but my company uses Silverlight, so I run a Windows VM, and you are right, that is where my trouble was. I got used to the arrow keys quickly enough, but the Home/End combos just got to be too much on the Win side. I use Vim/VsVim (a Vim plugin for Visual Studio) all the time, which is why I changed the modifiers. It the whole OS used those keybindings and modal editing, then I might have kept the HHKB. However, I cannot complain about the RF at all. I love it just as much as the HHKB, honestly.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 01:23:47 »
I agree with how the RF feels more premium of the two. However, after using both for quite some time now, I actually like how the HHKB sound better.

Maybe it's due to the plastic case but I dig the sound more, especially with 55g in the HHKB. I'm looking to get a 660C in the future though so I'm wondering how that sounds. More like the RF?
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Altis

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 01:29:53 »

I'd say that despite the original intent of the design of the HHKB, the layout is perhaps not quite as efficient in some ways. Funky key combinations can take away from the flow at times.

I have a KUL ES-87 which can swap the CTRL and CAPS keys as well as the Backspace and '\' keys, so it gave me a bit of an idea of having to deal with that aspect of the layout before buying. It was the backspace I was most worried about.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how quickly the arrow keys using the function key became natural. Home and End are a bit of a stretch... would prefer them to have been closer to the fn key.

Interesting review. I had a different experience personally, having started with a Leopold and then moved on to a HHKB Type-S, and it seems most people find that the HHKB, due to its case-mounted rather than plate-mounted switches, has a more organic feeling and sound to it, which I agree with.

I'm not exactly sure what makes a sound 'organic'. Perhaps I should make a video showing the HHKB and the two 87Us -- oddly enough, the white keys sound different than the black keys. Whooda thunk.

I agree with how the RF feels more premium of the two. However, after using both for quite some time now, I actually like how the HHKB sound better.

Maybe it's due to the plastic case but I dig the sound more, especially with 55g in the HHKB. I'm looking to get a 660C in the future though so I'm wondering how that sounds. More like the RF?

To each their own! I don't mean to imply that it's bad or unlikable. It just isn't as smooth, quiet, or consistent as the Realforce. It definitely has character, and I can sure appreciate having some character in a keyboard. (perhaps the nerdiest thing I've ever said, btw)

And really guys, no comment on the 5-tone blanked out sister boards??  :cool: You can't see it in the photos but the plate is bright red on the QFR.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 October 2015, 01:33:14 by Altis »

Offline kosm3

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 08:01:40 »
Nice review, i ordered a hhkb2 as my first topre but i'm alreadu looking to those rf 87u ..

Offline Agarito

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 11:22:10 »
Nice keyboards! I really want to like the realforce more than the hhkb (since I prefer heavier keyboards) but can't get over the look of the keyboard; the space above the final row is too big for my taste.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 01:46:50 »
Nice review, i ordered a hhkb2 as my first topre but i'm alreadu looking to those rf 87u ..

You'll probably end up keeping both - they each have their purposes.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline moshimalloe

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 02:21:56 »
So I've gotten my HHKB Pro 2 since after all this time, I really wanted to try it. What I'm about to say might rustle a few jimmies, but alas, in case anyone is trying to decide whether or not to try it, here are some thoughts.

The HHKB feels harsher than the Realforce 87U 45g. I'd say that the key weighting feels a bit heavier than the 45g in the Realforce. The sound is a lot harsher since the bottom-out sound is louder, the upstroke has a sharper but lower-pitch sound, and there is quite a noticeable amount of grittiness to the keys (some more than others).

I'm thinking of trying to figure out some way to sound deaden the case and maybe try lubing the stems because right now, it feels like a cheap version of the 87U. The Enter key makes a thud, some keys are quite a bit louder than others, the spacebar makes a bit of a hissing/gritty sound. The outer keys (ASD-L;') sound pretty good (fairly quiet, high pitch 'click' on upstroke) while the central (FGH) keys sound very harsh (hollow thock, loud 'clack' on upstroke). It makes for a pretty uneven typing sound. By comparison, the keys are far more consistent with their sounds on the Realforce boards -- they still vary a bit, naturally, but it sounds like one keyboard.

The layout isn't bad, though it would make a lot more sense to have the backspace/delete keys better sorted (or at least more options using the dip switches). Using the function key for arrows and navigation isn't all too bad, really, though if the function key itself were lighter I think that would feel better for my pinky (it doesn't like heavy keys much).

The build quality is generally pretty good, though the top case is slightly overhanging the bottom case on either side by quite a bit, which feels funny when you pick it up or move it from its sides.

After typing on it for a bit, I can kind of look past some of its qualities, but the moment I type on my Realforce it feels much smoother and more refined, as well as sounding better. The typing angle is noticeably steep. It isn't too bad when I'm sitting, but on my standing desk you can really tell. I suppose this depends entirely on your typing setup.

I really wanted to love the HHKB (at nearly a whopping $400 Canadian by the time it gets here), but right now I'm just not so sure. I do enjoy typing on it still, but it's hard to like it enough to have it worth this much money.

I do like how light it is and having the USB ports on the back is certainly handy at times. I'll probably report back after using it for a few weeks. Right now, between the two, I'd say the Realforce 87U is the better of the two, especially for use around people who might not appreciate the various thocks and clacks from the HHKB. I also really don't think the HHKB is worth the amount I spent on it, though much of that is due to the Canadian dollar and import charges right now.

Here you can see the typing angle of the HHKB vs the 87U (and some other boards):

Show Image

And while I have you here, I might as well show you my KUL ES-87 and QFR with some nice PBT keycaps.  :cool: They look better in person as the lighting and white balance is off but you get the general idea.

Show Image

This is the dream. The amount of boards in there. Hehe. I'm having something coming in soon that should look kinda like this :3

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 18:46:57 »
I sold my HHKB after about a month they layout just didnt click with me. My daily driver now is a RF 87U 55g and i much prefer it. It feels fantastic and the layout is just what i need.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:12:08 »
Most of your observations are probably accurate although which someone prefers will be completely subjective.

The additional sound you get from the HHKB, some people actually prefer.  The fact that it feels like it takes slightly more pressure to press down is something some people prefer (It isn't a huge difference).  I don't think it is the difference between someone being able to stand sitting next to you and someone not...the HHKB is louder, but it isn't tremendously louder..
The HHKB definitely feels more organic...the HHKB has a much warmer feel to it..but some people will prefer the harder feel of the RF plate and some will not. 

The layout is probably the hardest thing for people to get used to..you either spend the time getting used to it and love it....or you never get used to it and hate it....I like 60% but it isn't the game changer TKL is to FULL....

They're both great keyboards....but the feel of the HHKB will either make sense to someone or it won't..

Offline Frizer

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 02:34:04 »
I have the JP Pro2 Type-S, mainly because of the layout is so much closer to a TKL. I love typing on it but in all honesty it isn't worth the $.
I am trying to get my hands on a Realforce, especially to see how the variable boards are vs the uniform.

Offline Altis

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 21:07:26 »
This is the dream. The amount of boards in there. Hehe. I'm having something coming in soon that should look kinda like this :3

It's an expensive dream that's very hard to justify at times!  :eek:

I sold my HHKB after about a month they layout just didnt click with me. My daily driver now is a RF 87U 55g and i much prefer it. It feels fantastic and the layout is just what i need.

The layout can get really cumbersome, depending on what you're doing. I really think that at best, it's kind of fun if you only need the nav-keys on occasion, but if you use them a lot it really gets annoying. I certainly wouldn't want this to be my only keyboard. A KUL ES-87 goes well as a TKL alternative to have with it since the backspace and control keys can be set up just like on the HHKB.

Most of your observations are probably accurate although which someone prefers will be completely subjective.

The additional sound you get from the HHKB, some people actually prefer.  The fact that it feels like it takes slightly more pressure to press down is something some people prefer (It isn't a huge difference).  I don't think it is the difference between someone being able to stand sitting next to you and someone not...the HHKB is louder, but it isn't tremendously louder..
The HHKB definitely feels more organic...the HHKB has a much warmer feel to it..but some people will prefer the harder feel of the RF plate and some will not. 

The layout is probably the hardest thing for people to get used to..you either spend the time getting used to it and love it....or you never get used to it and hate it....I like 60% but it isn't the game changer TKL is to FULL....

They're both great keyboards....but the feel of the HHKB will either make sense to someone or it won't..

Of course which one someone would prefer is totally up to their own tastes. I still have the HHKB and am finding it really fun to use, actually (if perhaps the only keyboard that I would describe as "fun"), but it depends a bit on what I'm doing with it.

It is objectively more gritty and noisy, though. I don't know exactly what an "organic" keyboard would be like... I interpret that to mean that it has lots of character. To that I would certainly agree. The 87U is smoother, quieter, and much more consistent. But that doesn't mean that the HHKB isn't good.

The more I use it, the more I find it actually a bit addictive. It really needs to be on a soft surface, though. I just wish that the center-most keys didn't make such a clack compared with the others.

I think I still need a few more weeks to really see how I feel about it. I've certainly warmed up to it more and more since I first started using it.

The thing that I find funny is that the backspace of the HHKB, after only a day or two of use, now feels like the natural position that my fingers go to despite twenty years of it being in the traditional spot.

I have the JP Pro2 Type-S, mainly because of the layout is so much closer to a TKL. I love typing on it but in all honesty it isn't worth the $.
I am trying to get my hands on a Realforce, especially to see how the variable boards are vs the uniform.

I haven't tried the variable yet, though I think I'd really like to. It certainly makes sense in my mind because I notice my left pinky is the first to get tired, though I'm just hesitant about a keyboard with different weightings.

They're all so expensive though, especially here in Canada, so I'm not sure I'll ever get to try the variable 87U unless I trade my 55g domes with one.

Offline chroness

• HHKB Fanboy
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 23:24:20 »
Great review. I just picked up a hhkb and absolutely love it but haven't typed on a Realforce so don't have anything in particular to compare it to in the world of topre. I may have to look into trying one though after seeing this comparison!
Cup is love, Cup is life

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 05:34:07 »
Never had them next to each other but after a few months with a Realforce 88ub I wasnt convinced so I traded it for a HHKB. Would honestly use my Shine 3 TKL over the 88ub and I do not see a point in having two TKL boards. But my HHKB is my main keyboard, partly because of the ANSI advantage over ISO when it comes to coding/programming

Great review :)
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline Altis

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 18:30:04 »
Quick update:

Although I still maintain all my original critiques of the HHKB, I really do enjoy using it. It's fun to type on and the layout really isn't too bad. I would change a few of the secondary key positions -- they make sense logically where they are, but they are less practical. For example, I would move the 'PrintScreen' from the 'i' to the ']' key just so that it's easier to reach.

I think I'm going to add some sound deadening to the case to reduce the hollowness and hopefully reduce the gritty sounds. I might also lubricate the stems and see if that makes a difference.

I am definitely keeping this keyboard though and I don't regret buying it, even though it cost an unreasonably high amount to get it here in Canada.

One thing is for sure: it has character... and whether or not it's objectively great, it has that second kind of cool that just makes you want to keep hacking away on it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2015, 18:31:49 by Altis »

Offline samsam

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:33:26 »
Do like the size of the HHKB2 ...but can't live without my arrow cluster..  :-[ :-[

i know i know there is a key combo..and so on..

Guess i read the Post again..Living in the EU Realforce board would have to come from the UK and HHKB2 from ebay i think..
But would love an S model. that goes for both options..

Stil thinking it over..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 19:43:47 »
Do like the size of the HHKB2 ...but can't live without my arrow cluster..  :-[ :-[

Guess i read the Post again..Living in the EU Realforce board would have to come from the UK and HHKB2 from ebay i think..

Stil thinking it over..

HHKB 2 Pro JP?

Has dedicated arrows and cup rubber!

Offline Altis

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 20:01:14 »

Stil thinking it over..

The size is nice, as is the weight if you plan on taking it with you much.

I thought I would need my arrow keys but I very quickly got used to the function-layer arrows. I kind of prefer it now, even, though I wish Home/End were a bit less of a stretch.

They're both great keyboards. I think if I absolutely had to have only one, I'd keep the Realforce as it's a bit quieter, smoother, and feels a bit more refined, as well as having a normal layout that doesn't take much thought and others can use fine.

That said, for some reason I find myself using the HHKB because it's just so enjoyable to type on, and dare I say... fun!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 20:09:05 »
Also FC660C is another alternative. 60%, has dedicated arrows, and home/end etc. are easier to reach.

Offline sintklaas73

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 18:46:26 »
love those blanks. gateron maybe?

Offline Altis

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 12:04:06 »
love those blanks. gateron maybe?

Thanks!

I wish I could recall -- they were from Massdrop within the last 6-8 months or so. I want to say they were Vortex.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 22:00:42 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:41:50 by alienman82 »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 23:18:09 »
Also FC660C is another alternative. 60%, has dedicated arrows, and home/end etc. are easier to reach.

I will just say from my experience, the FC660C's haven't impressed me. I FINALLY got a white one a while back, and it looked glorious. The caps, the off white color, and the formula for capacitance on the front just made it so classy. The weight was great too, much better than the HHKB. But the QC on the white and black ones I've had has been sub par, with the bottoms both being slightly torqued, making them wobble with and without the feet down. I heard this was common though, probably part of the reason Brian at EK stopped selling them honestly.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline sintklaas73

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 15:17:11 »
Is novatouch silenced that different to Hhkb2 or RF's 45g?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 08:16:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

EDIT
Update (copied from later post):

Mmm... that black kul with those caps look so damn sexy.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline toxicdrift

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 09:10:48 »
feeling good that i went with the 87u, I should have it in another week (stuck @ customs). As much as I would want to try the HHKB, the arrow keys are what made me stay away from it,  the build quality as suggested by everyone is also better on the realforce, and  coming from a cm rapid-i browns the 87u felt like the end game keyboard for my use. cant wait to try it out :)
Realforce 87U

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 10:23:03 »
feeling good that i went with the 87u, I should have it in another week (stuck @ customs). As much as I would want to try the HHKB, the arrow keys are what made me stay away from it,  the build quality as suggested by everyone is also better on the realforce, and  coming from a cm rapid-i browns the 87u felt like the end game keyboard for my use. cant wait to try it out :)

I have both the KUL es-87 (clears) and the HHKB Pro 2 white and in black, and I have ordered the 87U in black with 55g as well.

Really curious about how plate-mounted topres feel and the praised build quality of the 87u.

Offline toxicdrift

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 10:33:39 »
looking fwd to your impressions since you will have tried both, alot of people wanting to shift on topre's talk about the hhkb and realforce so it will be good information for those wanting to know about all the pro's / con's  and other differences of both the boards
Realforce 87U

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 10:41:29 »
looking fwd to your impressions since you will have tried both, alot of people wanting to shift on topre's talk about the hhkb and realforce so it will be good information for those wanting to know about all the pro's / con's  and other differences of both the boards

Thanks.. time for a review and comparison then when the board is in and tested. I can compare: Filco TKL browns with KUL ES-87 clears with HHKB 45G and realforce u87u 55g.

Special things you are curious about?

Offline Altis

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 17:41:46 »
I have both the KUL es-87 (clears) and the HHKB Pro 2 white and in black, and I have ordered the 87U in black with 55g as well.

Really curious about how plate-mounted topres feel and the praised build quality of the 87u.

That's great! I actually changed out my KUL ES-87 from MX Clears to tactile Zealios (mostly 62g) and I like it much more since the notorious ping is pretty much gone entirely.

Nice! What weight did you get the 87u in?

If you look at my sig you'll notice I have a wide variety of keyboards and switches at this point and if I had to choose only one, there's a good chance it'd be my 87u in 45g.

I've actually sound-deadened mine with some foam liner and I love it even more. It's the smoothest keyboard I have and it sounds it as well.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:21:44 »

That's great! I actually changed out my KUL ES-87 from MX Clears to tactile Zealios (mostly 62g) and I like it much more since the notorious ping is pretty much gone entirely.

If you look at my sig you'll notice I have a wide variety of keyboards and switches at this point and if I had to choose only one, there's a good chance it'd be my 87u in 45g.

I've actually sound-deadened mine with some foam liner and I love it even more. It's the smoothest keyboard I have and it sounds it as well.

What are Zealios? Like an MX clone like gateron?

Curious about your foam liner mod.. Care to explain?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:22:47 »

What are Zealios? Like an MX clone like gateron?

Curious about your foam liner mod.. Care to explain?
Yep a really good clone

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 22:54:38 »

Offline toxicdrift

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 23:22:59 »

i have the 55g white (got it from massdrop)  ... am looking for guides for the silencing mod, but i just want to try it out stock first and see how i like it.
Realforce 87U

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 23:38:04 »

i have the 55g white (got it from massdrop)  ... am looking for guides for the silencing mod, but i just want to try it out stock first and see how i like it.

Don't mess with perfection!

Offline toxicdrift

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 00:23:04 »
Ya mostly won't,  its a big purchase for me and I wouldn't want to screw it up incase something goes wrong during the mod lol
Realforce 87U

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 06:01:23 »
Anybody care to share how the foam liner mod works? Links? Pics?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 06:27:54 »

Listen to Rowds, he knows what he's talking about here  :thumb: .

Here's a word to the wise, all those that have messed around with their "thorpies" suddenly find out when they try to put them back together, they lose their original feel then you'll find those exact Einstein's, selling their molested RFs or HHKBs in the Classifieds. 

Have to ask yourself, would it be because of their inept molestation of these fine products, that they are forced to get rid of them?
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 January 2016, 06:36:28 by Elrick »

Offline Altis

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 17:09:35 »

Basically the idea is to fill the inside of the keyboard case with a foam-like material (most commonly used is drawer liner that you can get at the dollar store).

You cut out piece and put them inside so that it takes up the space. I make it so that they're in there somewhat compressed when you close it up.

It reduces the echo/hollow reverb sound and can reduce the downstroke sound as well, depending on how much you put in.

I do it for pretty much all of my keyboards except the Model Ms. It just makes them sound slightly more refined.

As a side-note, the KUL ES-87 opens up like a car hood! When you tilt it towards the front, it latches upwards and stays there.  :cool:

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 18:02:59 »

Basically the idea is to fill the inside of the keyboard case with a foam-like material (most commonly used is drawer liner that you can get at the dollar store).

You cut out piece and put them inside so that it takes up the space. I make it so that they're in there somewhat compressed when you close it up.

It reduces the echo/hollow reverb sound and can reduce the downstroke sound as well, depending on how much you put in.

I do it for pretty much all of my keyboards except the Model Ms. It just makes them sound slightly more refined.

As a side-note, the KUL ES-87 opens up like a car hood! When you tilt it towards the front, it latches upwards and stays there.  :cool:

Thanks! I'll most def try this out once I can get my grip on the materials. I did this back in the day with the inside of computer cases as well before we had "silenced cases".

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 02:31:47 »

Listen to Rowds, he knows what he's talking about here  :thumb: .

Here's a word to the wise, all those that have messed around with their "thorpies" suddenly find out when they try to put them back together, they lose their original feel then you'll find those exact Einstein's, selling their molested RFs or HHKBs in the Classifieds. 

Have to ask yourself, would it be because of their inept molestation of these fine products, that they are forced to get rid of them?
This man says the truth
Just let your hhkb virgin please
or a trained virgin

Offline toxicdrift

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 02:43:00 »
im gonna keep my 87u stock , thanks to all the advise guys.  i just hope it gets delivered this week..  :mad:
Realforce 87U

Offline The Hobbiest

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 00:39:59 »
Just found this thread and want to say thanks for sharing your experience. I actually just bought a kul es87 for a dedicated gaming board (coming from a cm qf with browns).  Anyways, because this forum i'm now on the topre hunt as well.  Its a tough decision between the HHKB and Realforce but between my actual needs and you're persuasive reviews I think the Realforce is going to win out.  Just have a couple of questions for you.  Are the topre boards as loud as your board with mx browns (im familiar with this sound)?  How would you compare the pressure needed to actuate between the mx browns, the 45g topre, and the 55g topre? 

Offline Altis

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 15:59:09 »
Just found this thread and want to say thanks for sharing your experience. I actually just bought a kul es87 for a dedicated gaming board (coming from a cm qf with browns).  Anyways, because this forum i'm now on the topre hunt as well.  Its a tough decision between the HHKB and Realforce but between my actual needs and you're persuasive reviews I think the Realforce is going to win out.  Just have a couple of questions for you.  Are the topre boards as loud as your board with mx browns (im familiar with this sound)?  How would you compare the pressure needed to actuate between the mx browns, the 45g topre, and the 55g topre?

What switches did you get your KUL ES-87 with?

It depends on the keyboard, but I'd say that my Realforce 87U with 45g uniform switches and sound deadened case is acceptably quiet but sounds very nice.

My HHKB -- even with sound deadening in the case -- makes more noise but only really in the center of the keyboard. I think twice about bringing it to work as a result. The *clack* of the GHTBNF keys is not a pleasing or subtle sound, although most of the rest of the keys sound fine.

The 87U has a steel plate inside whereas the HHKB does not. Thus, the 87U sounds pretty consistent and doesn't really stand out. It's tough to compare it with Cherry MX keyboards because they have a clack when they bottom-out and make different noises overall. Topre tends to give you a thock on the downstroke and then something between a *click* and a *clack* on the upstroke. I'd say Topre is generally speaking more quiet than Cherry MX keyboards. Having smoother MX-based switches (such as Gaterons or Zealios) reduces the noise of those keyboards quite a bit, I find.

My advice is to listen to some youtube videos to get some idea of what the sound itself is like, but it's very difficult to tell how loud it will be until you get it.

Offline The Hobbiest

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 16:22:53 »
I got Cherry Reds on the Kul.  I replaced the keycaps with some Ducky thick PBT dye subs in OEM profile which lowered the tone of the keystrokes if/when I bottom out. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't but I am finding this board consistently quieter than the board with mx browns I had previously used for two years. Haven't had any "ping" in the two weeks i've had the board but still might do the case sound deadening mod. I actually have  that exact same material you used in the photos. How many layers do you suggest for the kul?