Author Topic: The HHKB Pro2 - an honest review  (Read 13706 times)

Offline Geroximo

The HHKB Pro2 - an honest review
« on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 12:04:04 »
The HHKB Pro2 – an honest review

Almost 2 years into the mechanical keyboard world, it was time to go balls deep, it was time for Topre, it was time for the HHKB Pro2.
This is my diary.

Day 1
Dear diary,
I just received my HHKB Pro2 and it feels light. So much lighter than I expected. It is made completly out of plastic, no aluminum, no steel, just plastic, high quality plastic though. The rubber feet are a joke. They don't hold the keyboard in place at all. The port of the detachable cable is nice. It isn't located on the underside of the board like on my QFR which makes it very easy to access. I like that. The 2 additional USB Ports are cool, even though I don't really need them.
The keycaps are fine, but nothing special to be honest. They are thin PBT with a rough texture, which is nice, but you can have thin PBT with rough texture (MX) from aliexpress for around 20 dollars. The only thing which gives the keycaps some worth is the dye subbed lettering.
The stabilisers are great. Especially on the spacebar.
Let's talk about the switches. Oh my god. Are you serious? This feels exactly like the dome with slider keyboard I recently sold for 5€. This feels like rubberdome. Yes, like a high quality rubberdome, but still … rubberdome is rubberdome.
My first impression is: Wtf is going on … why does this flimsy keyboard with rubberdome feeling get so much hype? Anyways, the people on the internet said, I have to give it time. That`s what I'm going to do.

Day 2
Dear diary,
I don't know what people mean with „like typing on clouds“ or „buttery smooth switches“. For me it just feels like a rubberdome. You press on it, the dome collapses and down goes your finger. It goes so fast, I cannot even feel if the switches are smooth or not because it is just collapsing dome – bottom out – collapsing dome – bottom out. The bottom out actually hurts my fingers a bit. No comparison to my Gateron blacks on which I never bottom out. I am not impressed.
The layout is actually pretty cool. The new position of backspace is so much better.
I do have to admit: This board looks classy. It has a presence on the desk which I have never seen before. It is polarizing. So clean, so smooth looking. Truly eye candy.

Day 3
Dear diary,
I want to go back to my other mechanical keyboards and I occationally do. The HHKB hasn't got me yet, I still enjoy my other mechanical keyboards, but the internet says it needs time … and I am going to invest it.

Day 4
Dear diary,
everytime I look at my desk I feel proud. I am part of the HHKB Topre elitist circle. I have something truly unique, something not everybody is willing to invest in. This is a great feeling. Why don't my fingers feel that way when I type on it (yet?)

Day 6
Dear diary,
today I traded my black printed keycaps for some white printed ones. Black case, white caps - that's going to be dope! But wait … why am I getting caps for this board …. I don't even like it so far … or do I? I am confused. I feel sad that I cannot type on the HHKB anymore until my new caps arrive, but why?

Day 10
Dear diary,
I don't think of rubberdomes anymore when typing on the HHKB. It grows on me. My fingers aren't strained anymore by the bottom out. The lightness of the plastic case, the crappy rubber feet, the rubberdomy feel … it all doesn't matter anymore. I just type. This keyboard has some kind of magic to it, an aura. I don't know why. It is just a well rounded board. On my other boards I constantly think of ways to improve them, maybe an aluminium case? Other keycaps? Maybe some O-rings? Not with this board. It is just whole. Nothing you would want to do to it. It is meant to be used, not to be modded. It doesn't need mods.

Day 15
Dear diary,
the look on the faces of my friends, when trying to use my HHKB is absolutly hilarious. This alone was worth the purchase :D
Oh and by the way, I bought a PBT spacebar ...

Day 20
Dear diary,
I remember day 1. I remember how frustrated I was when I first held the HHKB Pro2 in my hands. This is all gone now. I kind of like it. But I like it just as much as my other mechanical keyboards. I don't think the hype this board gets is deserved. It is a damn good board, hands down, I enjoy using it, I really do, but will I sell all my MX stuff for it? Hell no! You honestly cannot compare Topre to conventional switches. Topre doesn't feel like a mechanical switch. That is because Topre just is not a mechanical switch. It is using a rubberdome. Let that sink in. It's okay guys. You are using a rubberdome. I am using a rubberdome. But that's fine, because it's an incredibly good feeling ruberdome!
I also recommend Thomas' (chyros) review of the HHKB, because I can now confirm, that all he's saying is pretty accurate.

Day 25
Dear diary,
I took the HHKB with me on a business trip. The light weight makes it a perfect travel board. I also just ordered a custom Topre Enter cap for 16$. I never would have thought I would spend 16$ on a single cap … this board made me do it. And I'm not even mad.
It just looks so beautiful, so sophisticated on the desk beside my laptop.
Now that I think about it, I might have found the answer to why this keyboard is so controversial.
This keyboard doesn't convince you with build quality. It doesn't convince you with extraordinary switches. It convinces you with its' appearence, with its' functionality and with its' own unique charm. This is why it is such a love it or hate it thing. Either you are intrigued by it or you are thrown off by it's rather (compared to other MX boards in this pricerange) low build quality and rubberdomey feel.

Day 26
Dear diary,
I just bought another keycap set for my HHKB. White Blanks. Blanks on an HHKB are just looking too good. I don't know why I am buying so many caps for this board … Maybe it's a keeper. It probably is a keeper.

Conclusion:
Don't expect the HHKB Pro2 to be your endgame. Chances are high that it won't be. Don't believe the hype. The board doesn't deserve the hype. I don't now why people are doing it.
The HHKB is a very solid, a very unique and a very polarizing keyboard. I encourage you to give it a try. But try it for at least a month. And again: Don't expect it to be your endgame and don't trust the hype or you will be disappointed. Buy it and try it without bias and see if you like it. Don't expect Topre to be better than your conventional switches, because it isn't better, it is different.
I really like the HHKB Pro2 and will probably keep it for quite a while, maybe forever, but it is definitly not my endgame. I still want to try out other switches and I will still use my other mechanical keyboards.
Thanks for reading and sorry for bad language, I'm not a native speaker.

« Last Edit: Thu, 22 September 2016, 12:11:04 by Geroximo »

Offline WarCommand

Re: The HHKB Pro2 - an honest review
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 14:10:39 »
 :thumb:

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 15:04:06 »
Good Review!

It does take time to grow on you.

I have owned Korean Customs, RealForces, Novatouches, Pokers, multiple hhkbs, etc.

I have always gone back to HHKBs.

HHKB is currently on my desk.

HHKB is the only board I feel I will ever need. (It does need to be silenced though for me to really enjoy it)

I got a razer chicklet keyboard that I actually enjoy that I keep for a backup incase I need a numpad for a project.

But for me -> HHKB = End Game

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 07:04:34 »
Good reviews, That's because people to much blowed about called "mechanical keyboard" nothing compare the soft rubber dome tactile wt plastic. the 45g topre or blacks still heavier to me sometime thats hurt my fingers honestly im find mx red still the most light switch the bastard lighter. like most people my fav switch is pbt brown/nixdorf or ncr black and topre3Og or the best switch is thats dont hurt myfingers.
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 14:13:53 »
Good reviews, That's because people to much blowed about called "mechanical keyboard" nothing compare the soft rubber dome tactile wt plastic. the 45g topre or blacks still heavier to me sometime thats hurt my fingers honestly im find mx red still the most light switch the bastard lighter. like most people my fav switch is pbt brown/nixdorf or ncr black and topre3Og or the best switch is thats dont hurt myfingers.
What

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 14:47:38 »
Nice review, thanks for writing it up and sharing. I agree with your conclusion. I believe the HHKB is a very good keyboard, but not life-changing. I don't believe in the endgame keyboard concept however; IMO there are pros and cons to every keyboard, and the HHKB never once made me want to ditch the other keyboards in my inventory. I do love it as a travel keyboard.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 06:33:29 »
Great writing, great language skills etc. :)

I like my HHKB, but, like you, also switch between several other keyboards.  It is great for travelling though.

Also I have a folded sheet of drawer liner under mine which completely stops it from sliding around, and also drastically (for the better) changes the sound.

Or, fohat.digs makes EPDM mats.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 06:37:13 »

I like my HHKB, but, like you, also switch between several other keyboards.  It is great for travelling though.

Also I have a folded sheet of drawer liner under mine which completely stops it from sliding around, and also drastically (for the better) changes the sound.

Silenced HHKB is my public board. It is light and portable, quiet and nice to type on. Couldn't ask for a better carry around board.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 08:24:01 »
Just want to chime in and say that I agree with rowdy on the mats.  I think typing on a mat has a more profound effect than lubing the channels the sliders ride in.

Offline Ashlyn

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 15:55:39 »
I love the HHKB typing feeling , but the layout is hard for gamer  :rolleyes:

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 20:22:17 »
Just want to chime in and say that I agree with rowdy on the mats.  I think typing on a mat has a more profound effect than lubing the channels the sliders ride in.

I'm using it on a rubber mat, too. It's just so much better. But I guess, this is true for any keyboard.

Offline Altis

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 23:35:29 »

I'm using it on a rubber mat, too. It's just so much better. But I guess, this is true for any keyboard.

The mats help a lot. I have a large desk/mouse mat, but it's much better yet if you have something that has a bit more cushion like a towel.

I love the HHKB typing feeling , but the layout is hard for gamer  :rolleyes:

Guess you'll need 2 keyboards.  :-X

I've been using my HHKB for CS GO and a few strategy games and it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. It only sucks if you make regular use of the F-keys during gaming.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 15:57:46 »

For one second i thought you said EDM...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 01:28:24 »

If you want 100% cushioning of your HHKB (cough, cough) I have always used Sorbothane because it absorbs all the shock you apply via your fingers.  Also it helps to lesson the fatigue of your finger tips when using this type of material.

Have always used it on Heavy based Woofers, Subs and REAL Mechanical Keyboards.  A very versatile piece of plastic  :thumb: .

Offline itbesandrodoe

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 17:13:57 »
very good review, those were my thoughts the first time i got an HHKB and now after a few other keyboard changes i find myself back on an HHKB giving it an extended try.