Author Topic: I think I just discovered the best way to press the backspace key!  (Read 14393 times)

Offline e_l_tang

I think I just discovered the best way to press the backspace key!
« on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 16:39:11 »
I have been having aches in my right arm for a while now, and I am highly suspicious that the backspace key on my keyboard was the culprit. In an attempt to solve the problem, I changed the finger I use for backspace from my ring finger to my middle finger a while ago. The pains lessened, but did not go away completely. As of today, I use my right pinky to press backspace, but with one catch: I ball my right hand into a fist and press the backspace key with my right pinky knuckle as if I were knocking on a door. I find this to be very natural as the skin there is already thicker from it sliding on paper while I handwrite. Also, since my fingers are curled, their tips are above the tab row rather than above the function row while I use the backspace key, meaning that I can return to the home row much more quickly.

Try this and tell me what you think!

Edit: I found something even better. I set the key repeat to fast and the delay until repeat to short. Now, I don't have to spam it because holding it and waiting for it to repeat is faster.

Edit 2: I found a way to not use that wretched key at all. First, I use Shift-Left Arrow to select the unwanted text. Then, depending if I want to replace it or delete it, I either type over it or use Command-X to cut it out.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 December 2015, 18:29:48 by Eric-T »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: I think I just discovered the best way to press the backspace key!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 04:44:56 »
I can't remember the last time I used Backspace in the standard position.

To be specific, I remapped Caps Lock to Backspace four years ago, and haven't looked back, except I've started to use a typematrix (BS in the middle) and an ergodox (or Kinesis Advantage; BS in a thumb cluster either way) in the meantime. The ANSI HHKB placement is nice too.

Offline OverKill

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 10:00:54 »
The HHKB position of the backspace (above enter instead of above pipe) was the most amazing change i ever made to typing. It is wonderful and it took me like an hour to get used to it.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 10:34:09 »
Do you lose any speed from that?

I've been wanting to try a split spacebar with the left half being mapped to backspace.

The HHKB backspace position is also a considerable improvement, much less of a reach.

Offline steve.v

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 11:35:10 »
my original capslock location has been my backspace key.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 03:34:43 »
I've also remapped my capslock to backspace. When I get my Planck I'll try one of the thumb keys as backspace and stick with what feels best.

PS. @Eric-T: text selection is a great way to bypass the backspace key.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 03:46:46 »
I love having a keyboard with a split spacebar, and using the left thumb for space and the right thumb for backspace.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 20:53:47 »
No experience with split spacebars but the hhkb backspace has done my wrist wonders.
I love Elzy

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 12:31:56 »
ring finger or nothin

I tried HHKB for a loooong time. did nothing but make my right wrist scream in agony

Offline wockytocky

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 16:13:10 »
The HHKB position of the backspace (above enter instead of above pipe) was the most amazing change i ever made to typing. It is wonderful and it took me like an hour to get used to it.

I have a split backspace layout and I have my backspace in the hhkb position. Interestingly enough, whenever other people use my keyboard they have absolutely no problem at all with backspace being above the enter key, even though they've never had it in that position on any of their keyboards. They usually don't even realize that my backspace is in an unusual location until I point it out to them.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 14:47:47 »
\ button as backspace masterrace (caps lock is ctrl)
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 15:06:20 »
\ button as backspace masterrace (caps lock is ctrl)

Same here.  If only I could find more keysets like this...
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 15:16:26 »
Actually I think it looks bad to have the the backspace legend on that key, when I tried it with the JTK set.  I've also found that I find having the ctrl legend on the caps lock is not better than having the caps lock legend.  All I'm saying that some things turn out not like you would've thought and you should be careful what you wish for :)  Mind you I'm a "classic OG legends" kind of guy.  I think these legends are the best and are the gold standard and always will be.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 15:30:42 »
hmmm... I actually like the idea of backspace replacing the caps lock key.

Feels really natural to me.

I need to program this and test it now.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:37:20 »
Are you not supposed to use your pinky for Backspace?  I use my pinky for Backspace, Shift, and Enter and have for as long as I can remember.  It has always felt natural.  Of course, on my HHKB, I have to use my ring finger or middle finger since I have to couple it with my thump for the function layer.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 22:18:57 »
Are you not supposed to use your pinky for Backspace?
It’s fine to use your pinky for backspace. For many people, using a ring finger is faster and more convenient, but in general, the backspace is in a terrible place, and sucks to press with any finger. Putting it on one half of a split spacebar, swapping it in for caps lock, or rearranging the keyboard more dramatically and locating backspace where it’s in easy reach somewhere is one of the biggest improvements you can make to keyboard ergonomics.

Offline thatllbeme

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 08:02:37 »
IMO the standard placing of backspace is pretty bad. I use my ring finger to press it, most of the time, but I prefer for it to be located lower down (like in a HHKB layout). My custom boards have a backspace 1u right next to a space 1u, on a thumb cluster at the bottom of the board, with shift and a function layer to the left and right respectively. I've found that to be a more ergonomic placement.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 20:00:42 »
after using my atreus for more than a week, a 40% where the backspace is on the left thumb, i think split space bar would rock if added to traditional custom boards, backspace on the left thumb is great, the phantom has the ability to do it but the only plate people had made with it was 7bit, which was a wacky one

Offline droshi

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 11:45:22 »
My solution to backspace fatigue is just to make less mistakes and work on accuracy. You can't avoid typing characters, but avoiding or minimizing backspace is easy. Changing you're mind warrants holding backspace or highlight and delete/replace.

Offline venyv

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 12:55:21 »
I have never thought about making the caps lock backspace, I have always made that the control key. I do like having the backspace right above the Return key the best. I can no wait to get the new board for my HHKB to customize it the way I want it.

Offline batfink

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 06:50:29 »
It's quite surprising, even on a keyboard enthusiast forum like, how few people have bothered to move their backspace key.  Even mapping it to "\"  (on an ANSI keyboard) is only a marginal improvement. There are way better options available and the cost-to-benefit ratio is absolutely massive. Seriously, if you still have backspace in that far right corner you must either either crazy or never make mistakes!!

Better options:
- Caps Lock
- Split spacebar
- ISO key (on ISO keyboards)
- One of your Alt keys
- In an separate layer (eg GuiFN)
- Something else? Come up with your own idea and tell us about it!

Offline hoosieree

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 07:28:09 »
I rarely backward-delete.  To fix an immediately-noticed error (i.e. the cursor is within about 5 letters of the error), sure.  But more often if I spot an error farther back, I either finish typing and then fix it, or kill the entire line and start over.

Jumping between writing and proofreading feels more costly to me.

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 21:52:31 »
I backspace subconsciously with my right pinky and it has never bothered me before.  Standard position and all.  Not sure why I would remap it if it has never been a problem.  I do shift my hand a bit and use my arm as the fulcrum, so maybe thats why I never felt any significant strain.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 20:59:37 »
Hmm.  I recommend getting a keyboard with the backspace in the HHKB position and then using your ring finger.  Don't discount the strength of the ring finger.  It is the most underrated finger of all.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 22:07:49 »
The ring finger (and pinky finger) are very strong for gripping if you curl them around a cylinder, e.g. playing tug of war, holding a hammer, or climbing a metal pole.

Unfortunately, the tendons which flex/extend the middle finger, ring finger, and pinky finger are all overlapping to some extent (for some people more than others), and as a result it’s not easy to trill back and forth between two of those fingers, especially between middle and ring fingers. The ring finger is basically the least independent finger on the hand.

Works fine for hitting the backspace key though.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 08:11:32 »
I can't remember the last time I used Backspace in the standard position.

To be specific, I remapped Caps Lock to Backspace four years ago, and haven't looked back, except I've started to use a typematrix (BS in the middle) and an ergodox (or Kinesis Advantage; BS in a thumb cluster either way) in the meantime. The ANSI HHKB placement is nice too.

I strongly agree, do not use the current backspace. Use autohotkey or something to remap it. Caps lock and backspace swap works very well.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.