Author Topic: How is my ergonomic layout?  (Read 5208 times)

Offline spwath

How is my ergonomic layout?
« on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 08:48:21 »
So im building a split ergonomic keyboard, as I love split keyboards after my apple adjustable keyboard, but that died.

What do you think of the layout?

Yes I am using ISO enter keys as space bars

Offline S1llyC0ne

Re: How is my ergonomic layout?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 13:49:56 »
I think it would be helpful to give us a bit more details.
What is your usage of it ? What do you type the most ?
Do you even code, bro ?

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 13:57:04 »
IMO it doesn't look that ergonomic. First of all why ISO-enter space buttons? why not just 1x2 keys? And on top of that I think that those space buttons are a little too close to your palm, unless you have tiny hands I don't think it's too comfortable. Also, do you have a "primary" space thumb? ie. if you only use your right thumb for space, you could have the left button do something else.
Second, on normal keyboards the pinkies get too much work to begin with. It looks like in this layout the pinkies get even more keys to control, so why not shift a row nearer to the index finger/thumb.
And with that all said, why not get an Ergodox :p

Offline spwath

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 14:52:08 »
IMO it doesn't look that ergonomic. First of all why ISO-enter space buttons? why not just 1x2 keys? And on top of that I think that those space buttons are a little too close to your palm, unless you have tiny hands I don't think it's too comfortable. Also, do you have a "primary" space thumb? ie. if you only use your right thumb for space, you could have the left button do something else.
Second, on normal keyboards the pinkies get too much work to begin with. It looks like in this layout the pinkies get even more keys to control, so why not shift a row nearer to the index finger/thumb.
And with that all said, why not get an Ergodox :p

I think it would be helpful to give us a bit more details.
What is your usage of it ? What do you type the most ?
Do you even code, bro ?

I should note I am making this already, and its basically to late to change anything.
It would be used for gaming and regular typing.

Iso space because I prefer a bigger space bar.
I tested, its not too close.
I could always program the other space bar to be something else.
Actually, it seems like most of the time I hit the space bar with my right index finger for some reason.
Although actually, on my Apple Adjustable Keyboard, I do use my thumb, let me determine which one...

I type kinda weird, my left hand sits on the wasd cluster. i dont generally use my pinky for anything other than shift.
Why not an ergodox?
I want to build my own, and the thumb cluster makes it big, and I dont want to many changes, and i want f1-f12 keys.

« Last Edit: Sun, 27 March 2016, 14:54:51 by spwath »

Offline validifyed

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 06:21:34 »
Could you not put the spacebars on a 30% tilt and change them to 2-bar? I feel like the angle of the thumb would make this give the same "footprint" for the spacebar, and might make the caps easier to source.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 06:43:16 »
nice spacebar :D
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline spwath

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 08:16:05 »
Could you not put the spacebars on a 30% tilt and change them to 2-bar? I feel like the angle of the thumb would make this give the same "footprint" for the spacebar, and might make the caps easier to source.
Possibly, but this will work, and i have already bought all the caps for the keyboard, so i found everything.