geekhack Community > Keyboards

Naked Alps

<< < (2/4) > >>

Whiskey in the Jar-o:
Is this too weird? Am I the only one doing this? Feels great, BTW. I will decap all the keys on this board, and the PLUM as well. I'm also thinking that perhaps keycaps are too big in general, and the keys can be put closer together. Keyboards could be made much smaller that way.

mr_sf_applet:

--- Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o ---Is this too weird? Am I the only one doing this? Feels great, BTW.
--- End quote ---

Pervert!

(I vote for Going Commando too.)

Whiskey in the Jar-o:

--- Quote from: mr_sf_applet ---
--- Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o ---Is this too weird? Am I the only one doing this? Feels great, BTW.
--- End quote ---

Pervert!

(I vote for Going Commando too.)
--- End quote ---

No seriously, I was disappointed with this board. It's been gathering dust for quite a while now. The keys felt stiff, the click negated by the bottoming-out and key return thud.  The board feels like and echo chamber.  I even decided that I don't like clicky boards. Actually what I don't like is the thud of the keys hitting bottom. I'm not sure about this, but I think that the base of the keycap stem does not allow the full range of motion that the slider is capable of. Or perhaps the click is overwhelmed by the "play" of the keycap and it's general noise. Typing without the keycaps, the click feels awesome. I'm not overhitting the keys at all. The most tactile typing experience I've ever had. All I hear is the quiet rustle of keys clicking punctuated by the thud of the still capped (but not for long) space bar and modifier keys. If I could only find small keycaps with no play in them, I'd be set. Something like the keycaps on the Steampunk Model M.

P.S.
Now that I hear that the blue Cherry sliders are softer than the white Alps, I'm seriously considering the Scoripus M10. If anything, Cherry MX switches should have a wider variety of keycaps.

Nonmouse:

--- Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o ---If I could only find small keycaps with no play in them, I'd be set. Something like the keycaps on the Steampunk Model M.

--- End quote ---

I was actually going to suggest something like that myself.  I'm working on a keyboard mod using an old Wang keyboard with white ALPS sliders, and I'm planning on gluing typewriter keys directly on the sliders, without all that keycap boring that Von Slatt did.  

You can always find sets of keys on ebay- they usually run around $15-25 for a set, with 45-50ish keys per.  So you'd need at least two typewriters' worth.  A cheaper, though more hit and miss approach is Craigs List- I've picked up a couple typewriters for $10-15 on there.

xsphat:

--- Quote from: Nonmouse ---I'm planning on gluing typewriter keys directly on the sliders, without all that keycap boring that Von Slatt did.
--- End quote ---

I have been thinking about doing that to my HHKB Pro 2 for a little bit now. The stems are round and black they end in at the switch, so it would look just bad ass. Why did you ruin it for me?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version