geekhack Community > Reviews

FC660C Mini-Review

(1/8) > >>

oTurtlez:
So my first Leo, second Topre came in the mail today and all I can say is wow. I absolutely love it. Be it the sound it makes, the feel of the keys, or even the construction, I was blown away. Now I COULD give you a nice picture tour of the entire board, but everyone else has already done so, so I thought I might just do a litter write up with the new board and give my first and lasting impressions.

I was previously using an RF 103u and this board seems completely different. The switches on this one being all 45g feel significantly different in comparison to my RF. They feel stiffer, which could be due to them being brand new, and I got my RF when it was almost two years old, but even so, they feel better. It's much heavier than I thought it would be but I can only say that's a good thing. I'll get a little bit more organized now.

Layout:
I don't mind the layout, which was the reason the previous owner parted with it. My previous mini-board was a KBT Pure and this board is miles from it. I'll get into construction later on though. Layout wise, I feel like the function layer isn't very crowded, mostly because it isnt. With the pure, I had to deal with having media keys, as well as LED controls to remember. With this, everything is much more organized and simple. Having the dedicated arrows, which granted I don't use much, is also a nice touch as they aren't too invasive on the layout, and can be handy when I'm trying to navigate a webpage. The insert key isn't really necessary for my use, however I do like it because it gave me a free spot to put my Depth Black CC.  ;D The delete key however I do like and use sometimes but I'm glad it's dedicated. I would've also liked to see a function layer version of the delete key just in case I'm in a funky mood or something where I don't necessarily feel like reaching for it. I have a weird typing style though so key placement isn't usually a problem for me.

Construction:
Let's start off with a WOW. My expectations were surpassed when this thing arrived. I opened the box and found this dense object where I thought there would be a feather. Statistically it's only 20g heavier than an HHKB, which I've never held, but with that extra mass comes many benefits. The board feels very rigid and sturdy as I type on it. I personally love plate mounted switches vs a PCB mount so when I saw there was a mini plate mounted board, I had to have it. The outer plastic shell doesn't feel weak either. The rubber feet also work tremendously well at keeping the board in place. When I had built my new desk, my RF would slide around easily on the polyurethaned wood, but not this thing. There are very few creaks when I squeeze the casing, as well as there is none of that loud popping issue that another member had experienced. Overall I think the board is very well made. One more thing, very well done with the USB port on the back. There shouldn't be any issues with breaking one on this board due to the way they recessed it.

Looks: Not much to say here other than unique. There wasn't a whole lot Leo could do to throw the arrow keys in other than what they did. If the extended the board further to isolate them from the mods, it'd just look goofy and extremely long. I would've preferred a normal set of modifiers but I'll adjust over time.  The board maintains a sleek, slim, and even sexy look even though it's very usable and widely user friendly.

TL;DR:
I like the board a lot and plan on keeping it for quite a while. The only thing to gripe about IS the layout but even that comes down to personal preferences.

If anyone has any questions about the FC660C, feel free to post here or drop me a PM. Thanks for reading :D

EDIT: Here's a beauty album ---> http://imgur.com/a/We3SA

Latin00032:
I guess it may feel denser because of the plate.

Do you think this is your new go to board even compared to mx switch type boards?

oTurtlez:
I "switched" off of MX last year and haven't really looked back. My RF WAS my go to board until now I believe. I might use this for a few months as my daily driver, but a full size board might be better suited for that. This was originally purchased to replace my Pure as my go to small board to pack with my Laptop, which it will definitely be, but I might just keep using her as my daily driver as well :)

Sniping:
Congrats on your purchase! I just want to let you know that WFD pointed out that there's a spring that you can remove on the spacebar which adds extra weight to the key, so you can take it out if you like uniformity like he does.

oTurtlez:
Hmm, interesting. Link to the thread or post where he talks about that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version