Author Topic: [IC] grid 650, GB is live, update with typing sound tests 3  (Read 120058 times)

Offline rogersmj

Re: [IC] grid 650, updated with GB info, plate options, and colorway.
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 19:49:16 »
Placed my order!

White hotswap BLE with 1.5mm plate and silver peaks, plus a black Array module.

Offline mightyowl

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 20:56:14 »
Interested in the Flash module, but confused on exactly how it works. I see on the posting that battery DIY cables are included and that its not compatible with the included battery holder. So does the Flash module work as intended when the cable is connected, but some DIY work has to go in to get it working when on BLE? Appreciate any clarification!

Offline aestrialz

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 21:45:17 »
Interested in the Flash module, but confused on exactly how it works. I see on the posting that battery DIY cables are included and that its not compatible with the included battery holder. So does the Flash module work as intended when the cable is connected, but some DIY work has to go in to get it working when on BLE? Appreciate any clarification!

The same question for me. I would like to know the level of customization that we need to do.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #203 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 03:50:53 »
It is possible to get a 4mm thick universal plate?  I would really like the option to get both and more importantly the consistent feel the 4mm one is supposed to provide.

Is there a possibility for a hotswap PCB for the WKL version?

We don’t have this option available unfortunately. We will think and prototype on that. The feedback come from a 4mm universal plate should be not even though, given the amount of material taken at the bottom row.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #204 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 04:13:24 »
It is live now, two more questions:

The list of countries for shipping is limited, is this the final list?
Can you provide more information about the catalina bootloader?

Will ask zFrontier about the country thing. Catalina bootloader is Arduino’s bootloader. Arruino will see the board as Leonardo.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #205 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 04:27:59 »
so the ble version is not programmable?

It is powered by QMK. So it is. VIA doesn’t support BLE related keys.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #206 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 05:28:02 »
Such a nce looking board!
wonder if the module can be avalible in E-white as well? Going for that universal look with the E white but silver seems not really matching and black is too subtle....
Also want more renders plz! Zfrontier dont have enough renders to show different options! TY

Sorry no E-white models.
We will combine all info, render, images, and put them  on our website.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #207 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 05:32:01 »
No plans for a hotswap layout 1.5mm plate? Would definitely prefer this to the 4mm plate

We do have many request on that. We are considering to do that. However we do love the feel of the 4mm version (which is also more expensive to manufacture).

Offline gridishere

« Reply #208 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 05:41:56 »
I wanted to ask about the side mounting points on the plate options.  There appears to be direct contact of the case and plate and then an o-ring before the screw.  I would think just based on looking at it that is would take away from the gasket mounted feel and if there was compression it might make noise when the two come back in to contact?  Clearly I'm missing something, can you help educate me as to how this works?

Thanks for pointing that out. Actually there are EVA paddings between 2 aluminium pieces. Those paddings were not shown in the first explosion rendering. Sorry for causing that confusion.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 05:54:31 »
I also had a few questions I just want to clarify before purchasing:

1. To confirm, since it's a little unclear, if I go with the BLE board, will VIA not work at all, not even if using it wired?
2. How complicated is the set up for the battery, especially if using the FLASH module? Is it worth going with BLE if I plan on using FLASH?
3. What is the plate material? How much stiffer will the 4mm plate be vs 1.5mm + felt?
4. I too was wondering how the bootloader will work for programming the FLASH module.
5. Will more modules be easily available at a later date?

Thanks so much! Super excited!

1.Thanks for asking. We do have a test version firmware for BLE board with limited support. Basicaly if you would never touch those BLE-related keycodes, you should be okay. However, we need to do some long time test before we can confirm things like stability.
2. If you can do some soldering, you should be okay.
3. Plates are made of aluminium, machine-milled to give it the most accurate shape.
4. Answered above, it would be like an Arduino, and it is fairly easy to work with.
5. We have Module Type-10 CIRCLE in the pipeline and we are working on a better structure design (the current one has a little bit play). We would love to make more and ideas are more than welcomed!

Hope it helps. Many thanks.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 05:59:12 »
Haven't seen anyone ask yet, is the solder PCB compatible with Mill-Max sockets?
(I'm aware there is a hotswap PCB option, but I'd like to have split backspace, stepped capslock, and some R1 changes, which are not supported by the hotswap layout)

Thanks for asking that. We haven't look into the Mill-Max sockets situation. They should be compatible but I am a little concerned about the strength of some pins as, in some cases, cut into half to fit other layouts. Also, we used the space for split backspace for BLE chips. That's why.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 06:01:43 »
Was there going to be modules available for grid600? I think I remember reading that there would be. Thanks!

They will be! Just not at this moment as grid 650 is taking the most energy and resource we have. We plan to make modules for 600 in mid-2021.

Thanks for understanding.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 06:05:14 »
Seconding the Q about the "Battery DIY cables included" for the FLASH module. would this run off a separate battery? If the battery shown in the layered view renders is the one that powers the keyboard... where does the extra battery go? Or is FLASH only compatible with a wired version?

The included cable will help you to connect a third-party battery. The battery needs to be thin like the one used in tablets and go underneath the chassic.
FLASH is fully compatible with a wired version and we recommend to use FLASH in a wired setup, considering it will drain the battery fast.

Offline ZoomBoy

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 06:55:15 »
Still confused about Array but very interested. If I wanted to have a Hotswap Wired setup can I also get Array without having to purchase anything else? Can I easily swap over to Flash with the same setup? If too complicated I'll stick to Hotswap Wired + Flash.

Offline rogersmj

« Reply #214 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 07:02:54 »
No plans for a hotswap layout 1.5mm plate? Would definitely prefer this to the 4mm plate

We do have many request on that. We are considering to do that. However we do love the feel of the 4mm version (which is also more expensive to manufacture).

Wait...the 1.5mm plate won't work with hotswap? That's what I just ordered. Your post said it's a universal plate, I assumed that meant it would work with all PCBs/layouts. And the zFrontier site didn't stop me from picking that option.

EDIT: Never mind, I see this in the original post now, I either missed it or it was updated since I first looked:

4mm stiff plate designed for hotswap boards
1.5mm universal plate designed for solderable boards

Would be nice if the zFrontier store stopped you from picking incompatible options. Now I have to get them to cancel my order.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 December 2020, 07:30:10 by rogersmj »

Offline rogersmj

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 07:04:27 »
Will Array work at all over BLE or only wired?

Offline aestrialz

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 08:32:05 »
Seconding the Q about the "Battery DIY cables included" for the FLASH module. would this run off a separate battery? If the battery shown in the layered view renders is the one that powers the keyboard... where does the extra battery go? Or is FLASH only compatible with a wired version?

The included cable will help you to connect a third-party battery. The battery needs to be thin like the one used in tablets and go underneath the chassic.
FLASH is fully compatible with a wired version and we recommend to use FLASH in a wired setup, considering it will drain the battery fast.

Got it! Thanks

Offline defiantcouture

Re: [IC] grid 650, updated with new module info
« Reply #217 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 10:13:25 »
Will there be build guide for this board? Looks kinda complicated...
Yeah... This will be my first board and it'd be nice to have a guide or something.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 10:47:08 »
Question:

Is front LED programmable?  How does it work for wired-only PCB?

The board is powered by QMK. So it is programmable.
The default setting for a wiered-only PCB is breathing white, and orange when it capslock is pressed.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #219 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 10:47:36 »
Placed my order!

Thanks for your support!

Offline gridishere

« Reply #220 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 10:56:55 »
You get it completely right.

The module type-04 FLASH is recommended for wired setup because it takes the space for the 18650 battery holder and is thirsty for the battery.

The DIY process requires:
1. Attach a thin flat lithium battery onto the base plate.
2. Cut off some felt to give the battery some space.
3. Wire the provided cable.

Notice that the battery is now on the base plate instead of middle frame of the keyboard, so take it easy when you open the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 December 2020, 11:01:12 by gridishere »

Offline kanki0213

« Reply #221 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 10:58:03 »

The same question for me. I would like to know the level of customization that we need to do.
Plz reply to this question

Offline gridishere

« Reply #222 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 10:59:21 »
Still confused about Array but very interested. If I wanted to have a Hotswap Wired setup can I also get Array without having to purchase anything else? Can I easily swap over to Flash with the same setup? If too complicated I'll stick to Hotswap Wired + Flash.

If it is a wired setup. You don't need a 18650 battery holder.
And that is fully compatible with FLASH without any modifications.
Module ARRAY and FLASH share the same cable.

Offline KurageOuji

« Reply #223 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 11:36:04 »
i got a wired/bluetooth hotswap set up. i thought the 1.5mm plate was universal for solderable, but could still be used with the hotswap board if you wanted a thinner plate? or do i need to cancel that from my order also? also i'm still confused, which modules aren't compatible with a bluetooth hotswap pcb? i ordered the light up modules: neon, flash, and array. is press okay as well? i assume the mechanically functionless modules like stand or peaks are compatible regardless of pcb being bluetooth or not right?

Offline cmanon

« Reply #224 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 12:18:50 »
It is live now, two more questions:

The list of countries for shipping is limited, is this the final list?
Can you provide more information about the catalina bootloader?

Will ask zFrontier about the country thing. Catalina bootloader is Arduino’s bootloader. Arruino will see the board as Leonardo.

Thanks for the answers.

Can you share more details how the communication works for the ARRAY Module? I see there's just Windows support, I'm wondering if there's some details that I can develop the support for other OS or there's a hardware limitation (I don't think so).

I'm pretty exited, just waiting for my country to appear on the list to order.

Offline Skivt68

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 13:13:07 »
Haven't seen anyone ask yet, is the solder PCB compatible with Mill-Max sockets?
(I'm aware there is a hotswap PCB option, but I'd like to have split backspace, stepped capslock, and some R1 changes, which are not supported by the hotswap layout)

Thanks for asking that. We haven't look into the Mill-Max sockets situation. They should be compatible but I am a little concerned about the strength of some pins as, in some cases, cut into half to fit other layouts. Also, we used the space for split backspace for BLE chips. That's why.

Thanks for the answer!
To clarify, the solder boards (which support split backspace) do still have BLE correct? You just mean the chips are in a different location on the hotswap pcb?

Also, I'm wondering what the drill size is for the pins? I understand the strength concern with the cut pins, but mostly I want to make sure the drill size is large enough, as I have seen pcbs that can't support mill-max due to the drill size being too small.

Offline montasar

« Reply #226 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 17:54:09 »
This is my first ever GB and I am super excited to support! I have been monitoring r/mk on/off for more than a year now after purchasing my first GMK sets to go with a Anne Pro, which I have been dying to replace, but could not find anything worth the wait... until this :D

Offline KurageOuji

« Reply #227 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 03:12:05 »
Is the Module 10 CIRCLE, happening in the future?

Yes, most likely March 2021.
The thing is that we are not happy with the knob feeling right now.
Also, we have some feedback on merging this module with other modules, like Module 07 ARRAY.
So some engineering works need to be done.

Thanks for the reply, this is really interesting I was one of the people who asked those two modules to be merged so if that is happening I can skip 07 ARRAY module this time around and get the combined module in the future!

Two more questions about the modules:

Module Type-04 FLASH: Is this QMK programmable?
Module Type-05 PRESS: Is this hotswap or solderable?

wondering as well if we need to solder for the press module. hoping its hotswap

Offline drone_cold

« Reply #228 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 13:36:48 »
Couldn't be more pleased and more grateful to have ordered a black chassis with a purple module! Thank you ever so much for hearing out my petition!

« Reply #229 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 14:55:07 »
It seems like all of the cool boards come out before my taxes will come in. Maybe I can get in on extras. Sweet board.

Offline rogersmj

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 08:39:39 »
@gridishere, there are several people with outstanding questions (myself included) about the module and plate compatibilities. I already cancelled my first order because of some confusion but I'd like to place another. Please answer these questions.

• Is the 1.5mm plate compatible with hotswap PCB?
  • Can ARRAY be used over Bluetooth, or only wired?
  • How is ARRAY programmed/interfaced? Other than saying it's PC only, I haven't seen any details about how it will work.
  • Is PRESS hotswap or solder?

Offline KurageOuji

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 12:48:39 »
@gridishere, there are several people with outstanding questions (myself included) about the module and plate compatibilities. I already cancelled my first order because of some confusion but I'd like to place another. Please answer these questions.

• Is the 1.5mm plate compatible with hotswap PCB?
  • Can ARRAY be used over Bluetooth, or only wired?
  • How is ARRAY programmed/interfaced? Other than saying it's PC only, I haven't seen any details about how it will work.
  • Is PRESS hotswap or solder?

ill send a message to zfrontier support. gb runner doesnt seem to be responsive...

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #232 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 19:49:04 »
Same I have a few questions @gridishere

-About 4 Flash.
It's not very clear to me how it works.

I have to remove the battery holder, but why are there "battery DIY cables" included?
Can't it run off the USB cable?

-About 7 Array.
Same, why does it need a dedicated CR1220 battery?
Can't it run off the USB cable? Or the 18650 battery?

-If I plan on using only a wired version, should I just not install the 18650 battery holder?

A big part of the appeal of this board is changing the modules, but if it requires wiring and some DIY it kinda is a bigger process than I imagined.

Offline mechs

• www.mechs.io
    • The Mechanical Keyboard Directory
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 09:26:27 »
This may be a little early to ask, but are there any plans for a polycarbonate version (black and/or clear) in the future?

Offline rogersmj

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 16:13:47 »
This is a great looking design but I'm starting to not want to give over $600 to a GB runner who won't answer questions after they've been asked multiple times over the course of quite a few days/weeks.

Offline SpaceDesigns

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 21:19:22 »
Definitely in with this one. But kinda disappointed that the circle module is unavailable.

Offline tommyamoszhao

« Reply #236 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 03:03:20 »
Nice!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 11:30:51 »
This is a great looking design but I'm starting to not want to give over $600 to a GB runner who won't answer questions after they've been asked multiple times over the course of quite a few days/weeks.

I understand your frustration, it sucks trying to give someone your hard earned cash, and they can't seem to be bothered to answer you, but I'll try to put myself in the GB runner's shoes...Did you try contacting through other means then this message board? I get the feeling this is just one of places he post updates at, when there is updates, (and that's when he answers any questions that have arisen since the last update)

I'd give him more of a chance to respond bro. Before this GB launched, and after the grid600 launched, I sent him some emails asking about his next project, etc, and he always got back to me, and emailed me updates about this GB. He seemed like a good dude.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #238 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 12:08:35 »
Placed my order!

Many thanks to your support!

Offline gridishere

« Reply #239 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 12:28:36 »

-About 4 Flash.

I have to remove the battery holder, but why are there "battery DIY cables" included?

-About 7 Array.

-If I plan on using only a wired version, should I just not install the 18650 battery holder?

A big part of the appeal of this board is changing the modules, but if it requires wiring and some DIY it kinda is a bigger process than I imagined.

For the MOD-04 FLASH,

It can run off the USB cable and that's what we prefer to offer.

The "battery DIY cables" are for people who really like a wireless, battery-powered FLASH setup. As the FLASH module takes the space for the 18650 battery holder, a flat thin tablet battery is required for that setup. The DIY cables are for connecting the tablet battery to our HUB PCB.

For the MOD-07 ARRAY,

The CR1220 battery is for its internal clock, for the time function.
That module can run off the USB cable or 18650 battery.

If you plan a wired-only version. You don't need the 18650 battery holder or DIY cables.

Hope it helps!

Have been a little busy on the manufacturing side, sorry for the late reply.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #240 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 12:29:31 »
This may be a little early to ask, but are there any plans for a polycarbonate version (black and/or clear) in the future?

Well, it could be. Depending on the interest.
We are curious about its look on polycarbonate.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #241 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 12:31:03 »

Sorry about that. Have been a little busy on the manufacturing side. Will check more.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #242 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 13:23:45 »

Why do you want a PC version? Is it just the aesthetics? Just curious.

Offline airyimbin

« Reply #243 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 13:33:48 »

Why do you want a PC version? Is it just the aesthetics? Just curious.
Polycarb can have a different sound profile.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #244 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 13:45:00 »

-About 4 Flash.

-About 7 Array.

For the MOD-04 FLASH,

The "battery DIY cables" are for people who really like a wireless, battery-powered FLASH setup. As the FLASH module takes the space for the 18650 battery holder, a flat thin tablet battery is required for that setup. The DIY cables are for connecting the tablet battery to our HUB PCB.

For the MOD-07 ARRAY,

If you plan a wired-only version. You don't need the 18650 battery holder or DIY cables.

Hope it helps!

Awesome thanks for the answer.

So if I run wired only, how do I connect these 2 modules so they run of USB power?

Offline gridishere

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 01:04:21 »

-About 4 Flash.

-About 7 Array.

For the MOD-04 FLASH,

For the MOD-07 ARRAY,

Hope it helps!

Awesome thanks for the answer.

So if I run wired only, how do I connect these 2 modules so they run of USB power?

There is a 6 pin cable connecting those two modules to the HUB PCB. You don't need to connect extra cables to use them.

Offline s9ofhearts

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 03:58:06 »
Hi, I think this question has been missed a few times, can you please confirm whether the hotswap version pcb can be used with the 1.5mm plate option? Thanks.

Offline s9ofhearts

« Reply #247 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 04:00:12 »
Edited:
Apologies, I double posted
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2020, 04:01:48 by s9ofhearts »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #248 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 05:24:38 »
This is so nice!

Offline mechs

• www.mechs.io
    • The Mechanical Keyboard Directory
« Reply #249 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 05:41:48 »
Hey Grid team, are you able to provide me with the top images of all the cases and modules in their various colours? The reasoning being is I want to put together a website/simulator to help people decide/visualise the different combinations of case and modules (in their various colours) according to however they want. It would be great if you can provide because I have quite a few people wanting the same thing. Or if you cannot provide are you able to setup a simulator yourselves so people can visually swap and choose what combinations they like?

Thank you!