Author Topic: Cherry ML 5200 - sticky space bar  (Read 3568 times)

Offline srcdecay

Cherry ML 5200 - sticky space bar
« on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 19:31:19 »
First, I'm new here.  So hi. :)

Recently got my first mechanical keyboard since my very first IBM PC way back in the day.  Absolutely brilliant to use and I'm never going back to membrane or anything else.

However, a couple days ago, the space bar started to either stick or provide slow tactile feedback.  I popped off the key and the surrounding keys and the feedback on the switch on the space bar feels exactly the same as the others.  For good measure, I cleaned the space key and stabilizer with alcohol, let it dry, then put it back together.  Still sticky.   I haven't spilled anything on the keyboard or damaged it in any way, so I'm a bit lost.  All the other keys are fine.  Haven't dismantled it yet to investigate cause I don't have the right torx bit and I'm not sure how difficult reassembly would be.  Don't want to ruin it.

Any suggestions?  Totally lost here.  Thanks!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 19:32:57 »
Did you look to see if the stablizer on the space bar got unseated?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 19:33:47 »
ML switches tend to stick when the keycap is hit on a corner. Try hitting the corner of a normal key, you'll see it sticks a bit and doesn't go down smoothly. The problem is exacerbated when you have a very long key, like the space bar.

It's a shame, the sticking mars the reputation of the otherwise decent ML switches.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline srcdecay

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 19:37:37 »
Forgot to mention the stabilizer.  I have checked over and over that it's seated properly and it's fine.

@phaedrus you're right about the corners on the keys.  Never noticed.  The space bar has just been sticking a heck a lot for the past couple days.  Sometimes it's so bad that it takes a second or so to pop back up to its neutral position.  No idea what's gunking it up.

Any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive model without this problem if it gets so bad I can't deal with it anymore?

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 19:41:04 »
You could try a keyboard with brown Cherry switches if you like the light, smooth feel (I haven't used ML's so I don't know how they feel). Or if you like the typewriterey feel, an IBM Model M would be good. Both can be gotten cheap.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 20:14:00 »
Quote from: srcdecay;211167
Any suggestions?

If your stabilizer is the same as on my ML4100, I think the tubes that the pins go into would be the most likely to be affected by dirt (dunno how it would get in there though. I've had this board for about 5 years and not had any problems). Maybe a little lube would help.

Quote from: Phaedrus2129;211170
ML switches tend to stick when the keycap is hit on a corner. Try hitting the corner of a normal key, you'll see it sticks a bit and doesn't go down smoothly. The problem is exacerbated when you have a very long key, like the space bar.

It's a shame, the sticking mars the reputation of the otherwise decent ML switches.

Actually, I find the space bar suffers from it less because of the stabilizer! I don't notice any sticking on the other keys most of the time either though tbh.