Author Topic: Logitech DiNovo for Mac?  (Read 4074 times)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 10:08:18 »
http://gizmodo.com/5033687/logitech-makes-wireless-dinovo-edge-keyboard-for-macs-too

Looks sharp, I like the layout, the only question mark is the hardware.  What the heck is "PerfectStroke" technology?  Any details?
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline itlnstln

Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 10:21:11 »
Reading the press-release portion of the article, it appears that it is a long-stroke scissor-switch.  They compare a typical notebook switch stroke of 2.2 mm to the PerfectStroke 3.2 mm.  I would assume that they are comparing apples to apples (no pun intended) in that the Di Novo would use scissor switches like a laptop:

For a typing experience that's comfortable, fluid and silent, the new Logitech keyboard features the Logitech PerfectStroke(TM) key system. PerfectStroke is designed to create longer key travel - 3.2 mm compared to 2.2 mm - than that of typical notebook keyboards, which means that the distance your fingers have to travel to activate a key is optimized for your comfort. And because micro-scissors distribute force evenly across key surfaces, even if you strike the edge of a key, the key stroke still feels the same.

Offline itlnstln

Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 10:23:59 »
Now, if they could only make a keyboard that looks like that with mechanical switches (BS, please).  I guess that would destroy the synergy of the visual and audible aesthetics (I guess they could use Cherry browns or blacks).

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 10:25:01 »
Hey, I too have long stroke action ...

Offline itlnstln

Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 10:27:21 »
Quote from: xsphat;7145
Hey, I too have long stroke action ...

Is that why you use only rubber domes?

I was going to avoid that joke, but...

I got their PerfectStroke...

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 13:02:21 »
iMav, I'm sorry, I had no idea this thread would degenerate so quickly.  Now if you'll excuse me I am going to pull the blinds and see if I can find out anything about this PerfectStroke thing...
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline itlnstln

Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 13:12:09 »
PerfectStroke™ key system: Research shows that a longer distance required for each keystroke (key travel) improves your typing experience. Logitech's PerfectStroke™ system, with precision micro-scissors, gives you more key travel than typical notebook keyboards. So every stroke is comfortable, fluid, and silent.

From the Logitech site...

Offline Ulysses31

Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 13:30:55 »
I would have thought it was blindingly obvious that a longer stroke improves the typing experience, but they needed a ton of research to figure that one out O_O.  Logitech have really slipped in terms of the quality and ergonomics of their mice and keyboards in recent years.  They seem to think their DiNovo keyboard is the second coming.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 13:33:16 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;7150
Logitech have really slipped in terms of the quality and ergonomics of their mice and keyboards in recent years.

When did they ever put out a quality keyboard?  

The Logitech Trackman Marble is the shiznit.  :)

Offline itlnstln

Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 13:56:21 »
Quote from: iMav;7151
When did they ever put out a quality keyboard?  

The Logitech Trackman Marble is the shiznit.  :)

Of all the rubber dome keyboards I have used, Logitech had to be the worst.  I remember having to use several of their keyboards in the past.  If you would accidently press the key slightly off center, the key would catch and not let you press the key down.  That, and they always seemed to be made cheaply otherwise.  Like iMav said, though, they do make some fantastic pointing devices.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 14:31:53 »
there is NO way I am shelling out $170 for it unless I can put my hands on one.  To that end, I am looking for stores that carry the "windows" version of it so I can pound on it for a few seconds.
Andrew

Offline Ulysses31

Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 14:46:22 »
The trackman marble is great, because it's old.  Their old stuff is quite durable.  I still have one of their ball-mice that I occasionally use when my wireless mouse battery dies.  That thing is about ten years old now.  Their old keyboards felt a lot better than the ones they churn out now.

Offline itlnstln

Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 14:52:07 »
I have tried an older version about a year or so ago at Best Buy.  If those had the same PerfectStroke technology, it feels just like typing on a laptop keyboard.  I didn't even notice an extra millimeter of stroke (provided it used the same technology).  The Kensington keyboards use a similar switch and are much cheaper (and easy to find at an Office Depot, but not with the style and pinache of the DiNovo):

http://us.kensington.com/html/4125.html (the Ci* and Slimtype models)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 15:18:20 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;7155
The trackman marble is great, because it's old.  Their old stuff is quite durable.  I still have one of their ball-mice that I occasionally use when my wireless mouse battery dies.  That thing is about ten years old now.  Their old keyboards felt a lot better than the ones they churn out now.

If my kids can't destroy my Trackman Marble wheel, it has to be considered indestructible.  One exception:  My dog got a hold of the ball (that was curiously missing from the trackman one day) and chewed it up one time so I had to get another ball.
Andrew

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 16:51:57 »
Quote from: ashort;7159
If my kids can't destroy my Trackman Marble wheel, it has to be considered indestructible.  One exception:  My dog got a hold of the ball (that was curiously missing from the trackman one day) and chewed it up one time so I had to get another ball.

This is a Trackman Marble Wheel:

This is a Trackman Wheel:

It would be near impossible for your dog to get a hold of the ball in a Trackman Marble Wheel as there is a retainer ring that must first be removed to release the ball.

Offline Eclairz

Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 17:14:14 »
If the new "perfect stroke" is basically a longer keystroke for laptop style scissor switch keyboard then it will make the board better for gaming. I like scissor switches for their quietness and the even balance of the keys but they need to be bottomed out and also they have such a short travel that you often press the keys too quickly.

But maybe logitech have gone that extra step and made the activation point in the middle of the key stroke and therefore making a black cherry silent keyboard type thing. This would be ideal in quiet environments.

My main gripe about thin keys is their bottoming out is far too sudden but this does allow the key to come back up quite quickly, they will never beat my blue cherry for speed but they have a nice purpose in my laptop.
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Logitech DiNovo for Mac?
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 August 2008, 14:51:11 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;7150
They seem to think their DiNovo keyboard is the second coming.

:rolleyes: :D