Author Topic: Just joined the HHKB Pro2 club  (Read 3171 times)

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
Just joined the HHKB Pro2 club
« on: Thu, 14 August 2008, 12:41:35 »
Hey all,

I just want to give my thanks to this forum.  As a longtime keyboard snob, it was delightful to find a niche where most everyone shares the opinion that keyboards are important.

I'm jumping in now because I just recently purchased a HHKB Pro 2 -- an action that was largely influenced by some of the threads on this forum -- and I have to say that it's super-keen.  I've only been using it for a few hours, but I love it so far.  I especially love the size.  I'm not sure how it will compare in the long term to my Unicomp buckling spring, but the form factor is absolutely brilliant.

The board I picked up was black with black legends.  (Based on xsphat's thoughts; I also seem to share much of his taste in keyboards.)  While I'm a very capable touch-typist, I feared that a lack of legends would be frustrating with the special function keys, and even some of the non-alphanumeric ("^", "#", etc.) keys.  If I pick up a second one of these, however, it will be black, with blank keys.

For some logistics that others might be interested in:  I discovered that the HHKB-P2 is in the range of US$200 on amazon.co.jp.  With my purchase, I bought the 'board and the carrying case, and the aggregate total (including the commission for crescent-shop.com and shipping) was just under US$300.

Cheers,
-cam

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 August 2008, 14:05:08 »
Awesome.  Glad to hear that you both got the, arguably, best keyboard available PLUS decided to join in with the conversations here at geekhack.  Welcome!

It has been my observation that the HHKB layout get better and better the more you use it.  Be prepared to be increasingly disappointed in all other keyboards as time goes by.  :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 August 2008, 14:18:10 »
True dat, the HHKB Pro 2 is one of the top keyboards out right now - mine is up for sale because I want a different color but I would more than happy if it doesn't sell. I still may buy a second one though, as I hear they are getting low in stock in Japan ...

You say you hav e tastes similar to mine in keyboards, so what else do you use? I'm guessing you'll have a few Alps boards in your stable.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 August 2008, 15:06:24 »
Quote from: xsphat;7333
You say you hav e tastes similar to mine in keyboards, so what else do you use? I'm guessing you'll have a few Alps boards in your stable.

Indeed, it's mostly Alps all the way.  While I don't remember if this is Alps per se, the first uncanny coincidence was the old ADB Apple IIgs keyboard that you referred to as your "axe".  That was the first keyboard that made me realize that not all keyboards weren't considered equal, and I also called it my "axe" (although mine didn't have the earthtone paintjob .. it was pristine NIB and pampered).  It's portability made it a nice companion with my Duo 280 at the time.

For desktop work, I had an Apple Extended Keyboard II that I used for years; when getting a new computer, instead of buying a G4, I bought the B&W Apple G3, just because it had a built-in ADB port, so I could still use that keyboard (I didn't trust ADB-to-USB adaptors).  To stay current, I switched over to the Matias Tactile Pro (v1) which I was always vaguely disappointed with.  I'm putting that guy up for sale RSN.

There were several other keyboards along the way ... mostly stuff I couldn't stand working with for too long.  Some were redeeming, although not enough to usurp the throne.  Much of these I've seen in your reviews or on your blog.  There were a few surprises:  while I liked the MacAlly Mk96, vertical enter keys drive me batty.  The keyboards for early 90s vintage SGI workstations (Indigo, Crimson, Onyx) had, in my opinion, a lovely feel, although I believe they're rubber dome.  I have a pair of HHKB Lite 2s, and they're underwhelming, but good as gaming keyboards (the portability is especially nice for LAN parties).  One of these has been with my desktop for a long time; I've grown the love the key layout and the form factor, but the cut-rate keypress made me pine for the Pro 2.

Right now at work, I have the Unicomp BS (Endura Pro, I believe it is), and I really like the feel, although the trackpoint occasionally gets in the way, and now that I'm used to the HHKB form factor it feels like I'm typing on a surfboard.  As such, I may bring in the Lite 2 to take its place.

-cam

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 09:45:23 »
Im waiting for mine to arrive....too :P
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline aon

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 10:33:22 »
Yeah, the Pro2 is heavenly.

I (and presumably a few others) got mine from BeNippon. I found their service very satisfactory, and they seem to even give a small discount if you are an open source developer (too bad I found out about that _after_ I had made the payment).

Their price was ~$250 when I bought mine. I also had to pay VAT when it arrived here :(

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 August 2008, 14:19:58 »
Right now at work, I have the Unicomp BS

Why so harsh on the Unicomp? Love thy Model M's. ;)

(I know, I know, BS = Buckling Springs not Bull S***)

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 August 2008, 12:56:08 »
Yes i also have two, not the real model m but two model M5 versions.....i think they're from lexmark....
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline vils

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 August 2008, 15:38:24 »
Quote from: aon;7372
I also had to pay VAT when it arrived here :(

Swedish customs were slacker than the finnish, mine HHKB escaped the horrid fees and VAT.

/Vils
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline aon

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 August 2008, 16:21:26 »
Quote from: vils;7409
Swedish customs were slacker than the finnish, mine HHKB escaped the horrid fees and VAT.

/Vils

Well it depends. Most of my packages from outside EU have gone through, but I guess this one got caught because it was a fairly large package (I ordered other stuff too). Luckily the customs tax on most electronics from Japan seems to be 0%.

Still, at least here you technically have notify the customs and pay the fees (if they're over 10e) even if the package is delivered to your door :rolleyes:

Offline vils

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 August 2008, 18:15:02 »
Well, most of the time I'm lucky. Over the years two out of over 50 packages have got caught in the customs.  And by a bliss, nothing expensive. 25% VAT on a 300$ keyboard is a medeival punishment (Oscar Wildes letter to the tax collecter) even if the import taxes are 0%.
I hope Finland has a more humane VAT.

/Vils
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline aon

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 August 2008, 03:20:26 »
Not much more humane, 22%