Author Topic: StarCraft II with GeekHack  (Read 165752 times)

Offline Azuremen

StarCraft II with GeekHack
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 30 March 2011, 04:46:48 »
Quote from: Crypt;319719
How come?

After my 8th 1v1, I already started getting matched up against masters.  If you're already ranked in other leagues, I believe they'll use MMR from those leagues for your first placement matches.  I got matched up against a diamond in my first 1v1.  If I'm already winning consistently against masters, 100 games seems overkill.  Personally, I think if someone goes > 50% against masters over 30-40 games, that's reliable enough for me.

I dunno. I have found many players in Masters that just have 1 very aggressive build or some cheese that works for them. Perhaps I think Masters should just be more selective even, I dunno. Just tired of seeing 1 base for 15 minutes and crap like that.

Fairly stoked for the ladder reset, played about 20 games today with some success. Some.

Also updated the player list, adding in links to SC2ranks profiles where I could. I am still assuming players are on North America unless they state otherwise in the post with their info.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 March 2011, 04:57:59 by Azuremen »
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline Crypt

« Reply #351 on: Wed, 30 March 2011, 12:07:11 »
Quote from: Azuremen;321253
I dunno. I have found many players in Masters that just have 1 very aggressive build or some cheese that works for them. Perhaps I think Masters should just be more selective even, I dunno. Just tired of seeing 1 base for 15 minutes and crap like that.
I think it's the nature of the game and the probabilistic chance of cheese/all ins working and not the number of games.  Just take a look at CombatEX's profile.  He's one of the top grandmasters, and he cheeses/all ins every game that I've seen.

I'm in master league, and I felt like it was easy to get into (but I've had many years of BW experience.)  But, I have a ton of friends "stuck" in high diamond for quite some time where I'm sure they do not feel like master league is not selective enough.  Perhaps it's human nature or a personality thing, though...every time I make it into a gaming performance goal, I feel a little disappointed because there's nothing as significant left to work for.  And, once I've reached that level of play, the play just seems "normal" to me and nothing special.  It's like when my friends lose and feel like they're terrible players, but according to b.net, they're in the top 5% of players.  So just look at 1000 games played bronzes and compare the differences, I guess...but I suspect those players might be 12 year olds >_>.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #352 on: Wed, 30 March 2011, 12:46:24 »
I know some Bronze players that are my age (25) that just cannot get their head around the game. But they usually have minimal RTS experience, and have a ton of trouble multi-tasking in the game.

I myself had a lot of RTS experience, but never anything serious. I wasn't even aware of iCCup till just 2 years ago, and never played on it. And I am one of those players sitting in high diamond more or less, though I think a lot of that has to do with basically not playing on ladder for months on end before and after they introduced Master's league.

But I've played mid-Masters players that will, say, drop 32 marines at my third (one with rocks) on Delta and have them get destroyed by Colossi, doing almost no damage. And then that player pushes my front door with almost half the supply and just gets destroyed. Though I guess it is just the game evolving, since for months after release it was a lot of 1 base heavy play, where an expansion was delayed for a while. Now it seems to be moving towards 2 base play with a lot of people being awkward on taking a third.

And the rankings don't mean that much in my mind, since they aren't that selective. Being in GrandMaster will mean something though when they open it up, being only the top 200 players. But the skill gap in Masters is just hilarious, much like the difference between a Bronze player and a Diamond player.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline Crypt

« Reply #353 on: Wed, 30 March 2011, 13:37:26 »
I'm not sure if you misread what I said or not.  CombatEX would be a rank 2 grandmaster or something through 1 base/cheese play, as in #2 in the north american top 200 if my memory serves me correctly.  That's why I'm saying that having over 100 games to be placed in master won't do anything to remove 1 base/cheese players from being high ranked.  Strategies just have to be effective more than 50% of the time to get your MMR increasing.

I can't comment too much on skill gaps because that's difficult to quantify.  But, I can definitely say that being master league doesn't mean you have the game figured out.  I always try to do things that probably don't work (possibly stupid things) in order to learn whether they actually don't work or not.

As far as the basing, my impression is getting a fast 3rd base is quickly becoming standard in some matchups due to the changes affecting early game aggression/usefulness of bio late game.  But, I'm also biased because I go for fast expo in every game, and they probably try to double expand to exploit my early game passiveness.  Aside from that, my other exposure to the game is GSL, and GSL maps are huge and significantly weaken 1-2 base timing attacks.

Offline PerfectError

« Reply #354 on: Sun, 03 April 2011, 02:49:16 »
i'm pretty new here but id love to play a few games with you guys, I'm in the platinum league but I'm so rusty and out of the game i'm prolly gold level. i want to have some regular people to play with to improve my game play and have fun with people.

Perfecterror.170

Offline DejaHu

« Reply #355 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 17:07:05 »
DejaHu.713

Offline qvindtar

« Reply #356 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 20:34:43 »
Qvindtar.277 - gold level working my way up. Always looking for sparring partners (or some good advice).
Metallic Blue Filco with MX Browns Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4k, Logitech G11

Offline Nautilus

« Reply #357 on: Tue, 05 April 2011, 15:54:32 »
Sign me up! Nautilus (267)

As you can see, I am a total noob at the moment, but slowly learning through customs with some friends and watching games online. I should brave the ladder soon, though!
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 April 2011, 22:21:28 by Nautilus »
Cherry Blues: Das Keyboard Professional S, Leopold Tenkeyless
Cherry Browns: Filco Tenkeyless (on the way)
Rubber Dome: QSENN DT-35 (aka SEM DT-35)
Mice: Razer Abyssus, Microsoft Wireless Desktop 1000

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #358 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 00:16:11 »
hey, my name is CobR (561)

SC2 is my first RTS and so far I am no good lol.  About 50 games played total and I was top 5ish in Bronze before I stopped playing for a while.  I am going to start playing again though to get better at a great game!

Add me if you are looking to teach a bad player something or if you want someone who is as bad as you to practice with lol.    :D

EDIT: Since the stat reset I only have 1 win, but have not really played.   :P
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 April 2011, 00:28:41 by hfcobra »
Own/Love: REɅLFORCE 87UB EK Edition 45g

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline Valeranth

« Reply #359 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 07:48:44 »
brandon.1823

pretty much still a noob at the game. But its getting to be the small things. right now im not on much with school and work but that should all change pretty soon. :)

Offline Nautilus

« Reply #360 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 20:16:03 »
Quote from: Valeranth;325504
brandon.1823

pretty much still a noob at the game. But its getting to be the small things. right now im not on much with school and work but that should all change pretty soon. :)

Yeah, same.

Also, your handle is the first I have seen with more than 3 numbers. Congrats. :tongue:

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #361 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 20:59:39 »
Quote from: Nautilus;325920
Yeah, same.

Also, your handle is the first I have seen with more than 3 numbers. Congrats. :tongue:

i think that they number you based on how many people are out there with the same name and the order that you pick that name.  I am probably wrong, but it's just a theory after all.   :P

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline Nautilus

« Reply #362 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 23:20:20 »
Quote from: hfcobra;325937
i think that they number you based on how many people are out there with the same name and the order that you pick that name.  I am probably wrong, but it's just a theory after all.   :P

Yeah, sounds about right. And I am guessing "brandon" is much more popular than "Nautius" hahaha.

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #363 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 19:39:36 »
Sorry forgot to notice everyone. I changed my IGN from jdreamer to DreameR (825). Please update the list. Cheers.
My life for Aiur!

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #364 on: Sun, 10 April 2011, 05:38:13 »
Bisu > Flash
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #365 on: Sun, 10 April 2011, 11:14:02 »
Quote from: speakeasy;327821
Bisu > Flash

I agree, Bisu is hotter than Flash.

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #366 on: Sun, 10 April 2011, 16:57:28 »
Indeed, he is a handsome man. I wish my true SKT man crush Fantasy got to play, but I'll take a 3-kill by an SKT zerg anyday.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

Offline .XL

• http://www.paokfc.gr/
« Reply #367 on: Sun, 10 April 2011, 17:45:57 »
So...what is that number after people's names and how do we find it? (getting back into SC2 after a 4 month hiatus)
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #368 on: Sun, 10 April 2011, 18:29:00 »
The number is the character code, click add friends in the bottom right of the main menu
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

Offline .XL

« Reply #369 on: Sun, 10 April 2011, 19:08:52 »
According to SC2ranks.com, I do not exist. Hmmm
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline shako

« Reply #370 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 18:46:06 »
As a new member browsing the forums on Geekhack, I noticed this thread, which I approve of very much! :) I'm a huge Starcraft 2 fan and play quite often. I'm a Diamond terran player hopefully getting masters league soon! Can play the two other races to diamond level aswell - maybe not as crisp though!
If anyone would like to practice or even needs help with builds I'd be happy to help you try and get out of lower leagues.

Shako.512 is my ID and I play on EU Servers.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 April 2011, 19:54:34 by shako »

Offline .XL

« Reply #371 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 19:34:21 »
Quote from: shako;329603
As a new member browsing the forums on Geekhack, I noticed this thread, which I approve of very much! :) I'm a huge Starcraft 2 fan and play quite often. I'm a Diamond terran player hopefully getting masters league soon! Can play the two other races to diamond level aswell - maybe not as crisp though!
If anyone would like to practice or even needs help with builds I'd be happy to help you try and get out of lower leagues.

Shako.512 is my ID.

I'll take you up on this! Next week though, once I get some schoolwork out of the way.

Offline shako

« Reply #372 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 19:55:16 »
@.XL forgot I ment to mention that I'm on EU Servers, I'm guessing your NA since your in Wa D.C?:(

Offline .XL

« Reply #373 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 20:05:50 »
Quote from: shako;329700
@.XL forgot I ment to mention that I'm on EU Servers, I'm guessing your NA since your in Wa D.C?:(

Yeah :/ I've found another 'coach' buuttt I'd greatly benefit from some strats, build orders, and unit comps if you don't mind!

Offline kektr0city

« Reply #374 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 08:46:09 »
anybody watch the first round of the NASL yesterday?

Offline shako

« Reply #375 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 09:17:58 »
Yup! I was hoping sj.Artosis was going to do better! Totally surprised with the Kikwikaki outcome, thought he'd smash his opponents. What league are you in .XL?

Offline .XL

« Reply #376 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 11:18:45 »
Quote from: shako;329976
Yup! I was hoping sj.Artosis was going to do better! Totally surprised with the Kikwikaki outcome, thought he'd smash his opponents. What league are you in .XL?

I only played maybe 20 of the intro matches before giving the account to my friend. He changed the name (damn...when will the paid name change be available?) and played out some matches. Got stuck in Bronze. I got the account back last week and haven't played any online matches, so I don't know what I'd be. Probably bronze or silver though, judging from my intro matches.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #377 on: Wed, 13 April 2011, 11:45:32 »
Yeah Artosis disappointed me. Tried to macro too hard, got outmatched. He was lacking confidence to push whenever he was at an advantage. Fun games to watch but made me appreciate the caliber of the GSL even more.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #378 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 18:06:57 »
Damn after going 20+ unbeaten, I got 15 loses in a row...... T_T
My life for Aiur!

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #379 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 21:35:16 »
wow played the game on low game looks like krappppppppppppp
gotta get my rig fixed ASAP

Offline .XL

« Reply #380 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 21:47:09 »
Quote from: godofdeath;332486
wow played the game on low game looks like krappppppppppppp
gotta get my rig fixed ASAP

From what I understand a lot of pros use low settings because it's easier to detect cloaked and burrowed units

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #381 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 21:58:19 »
Quote from: .XL;332490
From what I understand a lot of pros use low settings because it's easier to detect cloaked and burrowed units

it lookssss way too cartoonish for me

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #382 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 01:10:02 »
Quote from: .XL;332490

Actually, at pro level, using high settings lets you detect someone's starting location before fully revealing them by noticing the sparkles on the map, this can save valuable seconds in choosing an initial build.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #383 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 01:10:50 »
Also, I played a lot this weekend. Kind of made me angry at the game. It's so standardized in certain builds. I really need to go back to my AMERICAN style of play and be goofy. Beat people with mind games instead of using typical bull**** (FOUR GATE ALL DAY MOTHERFUKCSGIAJGRIOJAERIOGAEJG)

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #384 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 03:50:33 »
I might give SC2 a try once I upgrade my "gaming IBM" with two 3D cards in SLI, 8GB of RAM, and so forth... and actually buy the game.
[I did participate in the beta; they totally used the same engine as WC3; hopefully the interface's behaviour changed from the beta as it was fairly clumsy]
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #385 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 11:03:19 »
It is not the same engine as wc3. People also thought WoW uses the same engine as wc3.
I hope you are not getting SLI and 8GB RAM just for sc2, because that would be a waste.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline .XL

« Reply #386 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 11:54:59 »
Get an ATI 5770...it runs SC2 on ultra just fine for me. I've got 8 gigs ram...but not for SC2. I got it just to say I have 8 gigs ram (my roommates build is 6gb)

Offline Valeranth

« Reply #387 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 12:00:52 »
Quote from: Nautilus;325920
Yeah, same.

Haha thanks, it just because so many people have the name Brandon that I got 4. Nearly got a free win in CEVO because the other guy though I gave him the wrong code. Think I wound up still beatting the guy though XD

And for the record I have a GTX 550 a still use low settings. It is less for your mind to deal with due to lower object count, also keeps any lag out of the issue when playing... Also I find ultra ot look ugly.

Offline krull

« Reply #388 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 16:53:16 »
Krull.805

Like the above poster i cant stand the game on anything higher than low settings. I don't know why but i don't play as well on ultra. But i will admit marines portraits are catastrophically ugly on low.
Filco Majestouch w/cherry browns, Filco Majestouch w/cherry reds, Leopold Tenkeyless w/ cherry blues (in the mail)

Offline .XL

« Reply #389 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 17:53:18 »
Quote from: krull;332979
Krull.805

Like the above poster i cant stand the game on anything higher than low settings. I don't know why but i don't play as well on ultra. But i will admit marines portraits are catastrophically ugly on low.

They should always be catastrophically ugly. They're marines!

Offline skyblue

« Reply #390 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 18:29:29 »
Hey everyone, I'm new to geekhack having just picked up my first mechanical keyboard a few weeks ago.

I'm currently a top 5 diamond player trying to get into master's, if anyone wants some help getting out of the lower leagues I'm willing to see what I can do :). skyblue.775 or PM me.
Das Professional S | Filco Majestouch-2 104

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #391 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 18:31:23 »
Nice avatar! GG fan by any chance?

Offline skyblue

« Reply #392 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 18:42:32 »
GG? As in GGGGG baby baby?

Something I say frequently in SC2 by the way.....

Offline sndstrm

« Reply #393 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 22:36:33 »
Quote from: skyblue;333035
Hey everyone, I'm new to geekhack having just picked up my first mechanical keyboard a few weeks ago.

I'm currently a top 5 diamond player trying to get into master's, if anyone wants some help getting out of the lower leagues I'm willing to see what I can do :). skyblue.775 or PM me.

What time zone are you in?  I am in Italy and I have a hard time hooking up with friends back in the States to play but I would def take you up on your offer.
rm -Rf /*

Offline skyblue

« Reply #394 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 00:45:57 »
I'm in Eastern US/Canada. hit me up!

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #395 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 01:45:31 »
Hello, just popping in to say hi again.   :P

I have really been improving lately and starcraft has become so much more enjoyable now because of it!  If anyone is looking for someone to play with my name is CobR 561

See you on SC2.   :)

Offline sndstrm

« Reply #396 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 12:28:33 »
sndstrm 186

Always looking to play with someone, but I suck.  You have been warned.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 April 2011, 06:54:12 by sndstrm »
rm -Rf /*

Offline circularboxes

« Reply #397 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 21:52:06 »
Just received my first mechanical keyboard yesterday, a noppoo choc mini with blacks and happened to stumble upon this thread. Starcraft 2 is ruining my gpa, but what can you do? My name is Bonar.240, feel free to add me and say what's up. I'm not that great, so skyblue maybe i'll take you up on your offer haha. I play on the NA servers. See you guys later!

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #398 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 02:38:01 »
I play lots of SC2! and.. I am not there obviously, cause I'm new here :(

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #399 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 10:46:57 »
I'm always down to play people. I'm high Diamond trying to break into Masters. It's tough, late game macro is something I never had to learn in WC3 so I'm going through a pretty heavy learning phase right now.