Author Topic: [IC] Flatline Black and Cyan SA profile keyset (on hold see OP)  (Read 183565 times)

Offline Ail

• RIP in Pape
Re: [IC] Flatline Black and Cyan SA profile keyset (on hold see OP)
« Reply #800 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:25:17 »
BTW, I want to say that while I have no personal stake in the future of Flatline per se, I am sorry that we won't get that Reaper artisan that Sifo showed. I'm not even a fan of artisan caps, but I would have had a tough time resisting the temptation to get one of those to go with my PuLSE set. Oh well...

Yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing. I'm not much for artisans, but dat reaper.  :eek:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #801 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 17:00:43 »
BTW, I want to say that while I have no personal stake in the future of Flatline per se, I am sorry that we won't get that Reaper artisan that Sifo showed. I'm not even a fan of artisan caps, but I would have had a tough time resisting the temptation to get one of those to go with my PuLSE set. Oh well...

Yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing. I'm not much for artisans, but dat reaper.  :eek:

I'm pretty sure Bro is still making ones to match pulse  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Jedi

« Reply #802 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 17:48:31 »
Plus its not that easy to get a Bro Cap.  Lucky more like it, even for just one.

Offline Homenubbie

Offline Bucky

« Reply #804 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 10:19:16 »
Definitely was more interested in this than Pulse, but if it looks like this isn't happening anytime soon I will probably just go ahead and grab that.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #805 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 10:21:18 »
Go and grab pulse guys! I'm definitely working on something exciting for Flatline but that's far off in the future for now.
I love Elzy

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #806 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 10:22:28 »
Go and grab pulse guys! I'm definitely working on something exciting for Flatline but that's far off in the future for now.

Glad to hear there's still something in progress. I've come to grow quite fond of the name.

Offline Edmundoh

« Reply #807 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 10:26:02 »

Glad to hear, looking forward to it and good luck!

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #808 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 10:26:27 »

No matter will wait for the right Cyan color scheme. After seeing the wrong blue-green tone it looks awful. GL with Pulse!

Offline Hanni

« Reply #809 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 13:14:50 »

No matter will wait for the right Cyan color scheme. After seeing the wrong blue-green tone it looks awful. GL with Pulse!
We were only 200 to pick Pulse and the drama with MiTo was tremendeous...
So I doubt that people (aka reddit) noticed the color tone on 95% of the pictures isn't in accordance with the real tone.  ^-^

Keep it up, Sifo !  :thumb:

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #810 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 13:15:56 »

We were only 200 to pick Pulse and the drama with MiTo was tremendeous...
So I doubt that people (aka reddit) noticed the color tone on 95% of the pictures isn't in accordance with the real tone.  ^-^

That's a shame.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #811 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 14:47:32 »
I'll wait for this, will try to save up enough money. Indeed I prefer this shade of blue, and not everyone and his mother will have this set. I'm a keyset elitist  :cool:

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline zslane

« Reply #812 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 14:58:47 »
PuLSE uses BBQ, right?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #813 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 15:01:32 »
PuLSE uses BBQ, right?

Yes, this set uses BBJ, unless something has changed.

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline zslane

« Reply #814 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 15:24:49 »
I guess I'm just confused by references to "wrong" colors. Some posts are making it sound like PuLSE round 1 used one color code, while round 2 is using a different (i.e., wrong) color code.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #815 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 15:34:48 »
I guess I'm just confused by references to "wrong" colors. Some posts are making it sound like PuLSE round 1 used one color code, while round 2 is using a different (i.e., wrong) color code.

"Wrong" meaning people do not like Pulse because it uses BBQ.

The "right" cyan or one that people seem to prefer is BBJ which is why I was using it for this set. But to each their own I have no preference myself.
I love Elzy

Offline Hanni

« Reply #816 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 16:46:27 »
I was pointing the difference between camera and eyes perception. BBQ is way greener than it appears on my screen.

Offline zslane

« Reply #817 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:09:35 »
Getting an accurate sense of keycap colors can be challenging. A lot depends on the lighting conditions of the photograph (or 3D render), and the monitor it is being viewed on. The difference between BBQ and BBJ, for instance, is pretty subtle to begin with, and it is all too easy to unintentionally make one look like the other with the right lighting or the wrong monitor.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #818 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 05:07:39 »
So we can't get this flatline keycaps go into GB phase right?
This keycaps looks real fine tho  :(

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #819 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 06:01:08 »
So we can't get this flatline keycaps go into GB phase right?
This keycaps looks real fine tho  :(
Like Sifo said it's not dropped it will just be started up again at a later time.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #820 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 07:34:34 »
it's not dropped it will just be started up again at a later time.

The story of my life....

Offline ntitco1

« Reply #821 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 07:41:16 »

The story of my life....
Any news abt siso?  :))

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #822 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 08:07:35 »

The story of my life....

I would really like it to be made by JTK for a few reasons. But as of now they are not taking any custom orders. The only other real option would be to have it made by GMK, but it would be expensive because of the need for custom colors and legend.
Right now I'm really busy with stuff at work, and will get back to the set after JTK has made the first  custom community set.
I also need to find time to work on my other set (CopyCap). Hopefully that set can be done quicker and be made/sold by PMK.

Now back to Flatlining... ______________________________________________

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #823 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:35:12 »
I guess my thinking, though, is that if the massive difference between MassDrop's order sizes and GH's group buys (over the course of, say, a fiscal year) is so evident and undeniable, then there should be no question as to how MassDrop gets better pricing. Yet the reason behind the price discrepency seems to be a source of great mystery/controversy.

Yeah, there is no mystery, controversy, or conspiracy.  The reason for the sudden price increase for what was quoted to Sifo vs what has been quoted to MD is two fold.  First, massdrops sheer quantity of orders, and two, SP noticed and fixed a problem with their estimation software that had the amount of plastic for the caps at the levels what what DSA is vs SA.  It wasn't noticed because up until a few years ago with the resurgence of "retro" and GH getting SA sets done, these molds hadn't been used for close to 20 years.

Wow. 20 years. That's quite a long time. Well, I'm very glad that they held on to them for so long.
That is a high quality mold right there
Probably stainless, my guess would be 316, or better.
Stainless is that good? now I know

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #824 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:44:50 »
I guess my thinking, though, is that if the massive difference between MassDrop's order sizes and GH's group buys (over the course of, say, a fiscal year) is so evident and undeniable, then there should be no question as to how MassDrop gets better pricing. Yet the reason behind the price discrepency seems to be a source of great mystery/controversy.

Yeah, there is no mystery, controversy, or conspiracy.  The reason for the sudden price increase for what was quoted to Sifo vs what has been quoted to MD is two fold.  First, massdrops sheer quantity of orders, and two, SP noticed and fixed a problem with their estimation software that had the amount of plastic for the caps at the levels what what DSA is vs SA.  It wasn't noticed because up until a few years ago with the resurgence of "retro" and GH getting SA sets done, these molds hadn't been used for close to 20 years.

Wow. 20 years. That's quite a long time. Well, I'm very glad that they held on to them for so long.
Depends greatly on the alloy.  I have thin sheets at home that have been sitting outside in the elements for probably 5 years.  Not one spot of corrosion.  I think they are left overs from a kitchen project when my father in law worked construction.  Minimum grade for food contact is 316 with a 4b sanitary finish.  But no homeowner is going to pay for 316L or 316LVM, which have decreasing levels of carbon.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #825 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:47:01 »

Depends greatly on the alloy.  I have thin sheets at home that have been sitting outside in the elements for probably 5 years.  Not one spot of corrosion.  I think they are left overs from a kitchen project when my father in law worked construction.  Minimum grade for food contact is 316 with a 4b sanitary finish.  But no homeowner is going to pay for 316L or 316LVM, which have decreasing levels of carbon.
You seem to know alot about metal thank you for the info bro!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #826 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:04:56 »

You seem to know alot about metal thank you for the info bro!
Been working with metals for my job since fall of 03
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #827 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:22:56 »

Why are keycap molds so expensive? I mean, dont you just get a large chunk of whatever metal they use, CNC a hole and profit? Why do they cost 5k dolaroos?

Offline Bucky

« Reply #828 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:29:09 »

The story of my life....

I would really like it to be made by JTK for a few reasons. But as of now they are not taking any custom orders. The only other real option would be to have it made by GMK, but it would be expensive because of the need for custom colors and legend.
Right now I'm really busy with stuff at work, and will get back to the set after JTK has made the first  custom community set.
I also need to find time to work on my other set (CopyCap). Hopefully that set can be done quicker and be made/sold by PMK.

Now back to Flatlining... ______________________________________________

Oh if JTK made Siso that would be amazing, I have been waiting on that one :)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #829 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:37:33 »

Why are keycap molds so expensive? I mean, dont you just get a large chunk of whatever metal they use, CNC a hole and profit? Why do they cost 5k dolaroos?
Tolerances in the machining is the majority of it with setup costs from a shop capable of those tolerances.  For example, paraphrasing from Sherline.  To increase the accuracy of their benchtop milling machine by 3%, it would increase the cost of the machine by 10 fold.  To put some numbers on tolerances for machining, surface grinding parts flat and parallel to within +/-.0003" is a very routine job that can be accomplished relatively with the proper machines.  To get that tolerance down to say +/-.00005", which gives you a total allowance from largest to smallest dimension possible of .0001", takes about 4 times longer.

For example with my trade, I routinely have to do shaft alignments between an electric motor and a pump/gearbox/any other shaft driven machine.  Typically we use the Optalign laser alignment tool, our union hall has a similar machine by Rotalign with all the bells and whistles that cost them $18,000.  I normally am given tolerances for angular misalignment and offset misalignment both in the vertical and horizontal axis of .002". Depending on the setup, condition of the alignment when I get to it, condition of the base, this can take anywhere from an hour to 4 hours. 

I have worked on some specialized equipment that had special couplings between the motor and gear box that required less than .0005" tolerance.  When I arrived at that task, everything was already there, bolted up, and alignment was within .010" all the way around.  That alignment took me 2 days with a good partner.

One other thing, with Bob mentioning that tooling changes take 2 hours, we are probably actually paying for 2 dozen molds or so.  And there are going to be multiple cavities in each mold.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 February 2016, 19:03:38 by Melvang »

Offline Qklese

« Reply #830 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 04:43:32 »

That's too bad but there is nothing you can really do about that. After seeing the hypocrisy of Mito and his his immature actions towards the creator of Dusk SA, there's no way that I'll be buying a Pulse set. Take as long as you like man, hopefully you'll offer some non-standard layout options as well.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #831 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 12:33:01 »
Honestly, I wanted PuLSE but after the ordeal with a couple other sets including Dusk and the colorway thread in the SP forum, I must admit that now that PuLSE is here, I'm simply lacking interest despite wanting to see all the fuss about BBQ first-hand.

That Skeletor has come along with a sweet looking GMK set probably helped.

Offline Phirr

• If you don't work you die.
« Reply #832 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 12:54:28 »

Saw the thread and it reminded me of this. What happens when a rapper watches too many conspiracy vids on youtube.

Offline Ail

• RIP in Pape
« Reply #833 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:37:43 »
Flatline 4 Lyfe

The Pulse price is tempting, but that's about the only part of it that is.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #834 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 18:40:09 »
Flatline 4 Lyfe

I think the most interesting piece of PuLSE is the black on cyan alphas.  That's actually pretty interesting.  Though, assuming zslane can make Dancer happen, I'll just go that route instead and do BBJ and whatever white was chosen for the legends.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #835 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 18:40:41 »
Flatline 4 Lyfe

If you combine all the kits to have an equivalent of what flatline was gonna offer, it actually costs like $30 more than my non-profit pricing.
I love Elzy

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #836 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 18:51:49 »
A year ago when I was cataloging which keysets I wanted, Pulse was one of the top choices. The black and light blue scheme is my "thing," the colorway I apply to almost anything I can (wallpapers, launchers, mouse pads, journals, etc.).

With the progress of Flatline, however, I never realized how much green Pulse's blue had, and now I can't help but notice it.
Will keeping holding out and hoping for Flatline to come to fruition.

Offline zslane

« Reply #837 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 19:44:17 »
Yeah, PuLSE doesn't have cyan keys it has aquamarine keys. Some of its Google images look like cyan though, which can be misleading. Had both been available at the time when I picked up PuLSE, I would have gone with Flatline. But now that I have PuLSE, I rather like the aquamarine. It is quite striking against the black.

That's not to say Flatline wouldn't look just as great; it's just that I don't dislike PuLSE just because I also like Flatline.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #838 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 20:55:52 »
Yeah, PuLSE doesn't have cyan keys it has aquamarine keys. Some of its Google images look like cyan though, which can be misleading. Had both been available at the time when I picked up PuLSE, I would have gone with Flatline. But now that I have PuLSE, I rather like the aquamarine. It is quite striking against the black.

That's not to say Flatline wouldn't look just as great; it's just that I don't dislike PuLSE just because I also like Flatline.

Aquamarine is probably more accurate for PuLSE, that's true.  I must say that I do like both BBQ and BBJ from what I've seen.  I'm fine with a set in either color.

Offline tangkims

« Reply #839 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 20:12:42 »
Flatline 4 Lyfe

If you combine all the kits to have an equivalent of what flatline was gonna offer, it actually costs like $30 more than my non-profit pricing.

After seeing first hand experience how MiTo reacts in that sub about artisans.... I'm even more inclined to pay more for flatline... plus the colors are an exact match for that flatline bro

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #840 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 20:25:02 »
Flatline 4 Lyfe

After seeing first hand experience how MiTo reacts in that sub about artisans.... I'm even more inclined to pay more for flatline... plus the colors are an exact match for that flatline bro
This set is not gonna run right?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #841 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 20:29:34 »
Flatline 4 Lyfe

I was working on an a different avenue to get the set produced but there hasn't been any further progress. It may or may not happen in the future (y)
I love Elzy

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #842 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 21:15:50 »
Flatline 4 Lyfe

I was working on an a different avenue to get the set produced but there hasn't been any further progress. It may or may not happen in the future (y)
Nooo this set haves to run its enough that soware gmk is not gonna happen not this sets too!

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #843 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 21:26:01 »
So why can't we just post this on PMK, vote for it, and then see what happens?

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #844 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 21:26:30 »
Flatline 4 Lyfe

Nooo this set haves to run its enough that soware gmk is not gonna happen not this sets too!
I think it could run through SP as a DSA set.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #845 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 21:27:08 »
Flatline 4 Lyfe

Nope nope nope
SA or cherry!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #846 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 21:30:34 »
Flatline 4 Lyfe

Nope nope nope
SA or cherry!

Why not DSA? SA has a bunch of sets out already and Cherry, well, nothing wrong with Cherry. Do people really dislike DSA that much?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #847 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 21:32:11 »
Flatline 4 Lyfe

Nope nope nope
SA or cherry!

Why not DSA? SA has a bunch of sets out already and Cherry, well, nothing wrong with Cherry. Do people really dislike DSA that much?
They sucks ass! Its like using my old ****ty rubberdome keycaps

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #848 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 21:32:12 »
Flatline 4 Lyfe

Nope nope nope
SA or cherry!

I do. I'm on team SA, JT, or GMK.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #849 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 21:33:42 »
Flatline 4 Lyfe

Nope nope nope
SA or cherry!

I do. I'm on team SA, JT, or GMK.
bsp, enjoypbt, imsto?
You left the good stuff!