geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Custom split ortholinear ergo keyboard

<< < (7/8) > >>

TheloniousDrunk:
I got more clarification and it's essentially the ergodox with a function row so I went in and edited the base from KLE. It seems like keyboard-layout-editor.com doesn't handle splits so I'll design each half on it's own. The left half gives me the photo below.

When I go to http://builder.swillkb.com/ it doesn't recognize it as an ergodox and builds a square. Is there a way to modify the case design from here so that it'll be a ergodox case? Would it be smarter to take the files from the ergodox git and then modify the case design in CAD? That seems feasible since I have some experience. The PCB part would definitely be outta my bag. I have no history of circuit work and I was browsing through https://github.com/ruiqimao/keyboard-pcb-guide but I think designing it from scratch would be daunting. If I'm adding a row would I need to significantly modify the SMD choices?

nevin:
swill.... you have to specify "custom polygons" or yes, it will draw it in a square/rectangle

http://builder-docs.swillkb.com/features/#custom-polygons

- you could do it in another program as well.
- use swill to get the plate files, then design the outer bezel in another program
- make sure you get kerf, etc. specifics from whatever vendor you end up choosing, as this usually needs adjusted in the file.

if you're adding a F-row, it won't fit in the normal ergodox case

if you're not comfortable designing a pcb, don't. either have someone else design it for you or handwire it.
handwiring is not that hard and could pretty much guarantee a working board (as long as you don't have any issues with the soldering).

it's a lot easier to mess up a pcb than it is to mess up a handwired board.

the ergodox is a unique board as the pcbs use an i/o expander instead of dual controllers like most other simple split boards. (there are way more split boards that use 2 controllers than ones that use i/o expanders). not that it can't be done. but is not as straight forward as using 2 controllers.

so, component choice.... no, shouldn't change. AS LONG AS you have extra pins to work with to add your extra rows.

TheloniousDrunk:

--- Quote from: nevin on Sat, 17 October 2020, 23:48:15 ---it's a lot easier to mess up a pcb than it is to mess up a handwired board.

the ergodox is a unique board as the pcbs use an i/o expander instead of dual controllers like most other simple split boards. (there are way more split boards that use 2 controllers than ones that use i/o expanders). not that it can't be done. but is not as straight forward as using 2 controllers.

so, component choice.... no, shouldn't change. AS LONG AS you have extra pins to work with to add your extra rows.

--- End quote ---

Why is it easier to mess up a PCB? Because of having to solder the SMD?

nevin:
- routing traces could be wrong
- usb path could be too long/off
- sourcing & soldering tiny components
- a lot more variables to follow or get wrong on a pcb
- harder to fix a pcb than a handwire
- handwire is more forgiving

Philister:
Oh no! Here comes the necro troll...

If F-keys are inefficient, why do many power users use macro pads?

While streaming video, would you rather just press a single key to mute / adjust the volume on your keyboard or find the home row, shift the layer, then press the key? To make matters worse, you might have to use both hands to access the key on a layer, meaning you will even have to stop eating that pizza!

Also, when you want to close fourty tabs in your browser, do you have a single key that you can tap repeatedly to do it while your hand is resting on the desk? Easy to do when you have additonal keys at the top sides of the keyboard. Why forgo that comfort?

Finally this - long-term hand health.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version