Author Topic: [IC] O-rings  (Read 3025 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
[IC] O-rings
« on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 09:45:14 »
Hey folks

I'm out of o-rings and no longer want to buy those damn ex WASD orings. I've been introduced to Amazon, but I only found black orings. Does anyone have a suggestion how we can get orings of different colors and types? I could easily take 500, 125 per colour.

(not sure whether this works as a group buy, so i'll let moderator decide.)
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 11:21:54 by reaper »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [IC] O-rings
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 14:33:18 »
IMSTO sells red silicone and regular o-rings (check out his subforum here).  With shipping to continental US, they are not that cheap either, although still on the order of WASD o-rings.  Cheaper if you buy more than one set.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 14:35:02 »
I think you're better off putting this as an ad in the classifieds. WTB o-rings. And I believe OP is in Singapore so shipping from Imsto might be easier for him. Or you could try and find a USA proxy.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 14:36:42 »
im actually looking for some o rings at the moment so will be interesting to see any suggestions
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 14:52:31 »
I think you're better off putting this as an ad in the classifieds. WTB o-rings. And I believe OP is in Singapore so shipping from Imsto might be easier for him. Or you could try and find a USA proxy.

Ah didn't realize that.  Talked to him in PMs about the Amazon o-rings yesterday, and he didn't bring it up as an issue.  IMSTO is definitely closer then!!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline mark_thaddeus

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 18:11:41 »
Definitely interested in these as well!

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 21:44:48 »
thanks, but let's not worry about where I am for now.

I'm hoping to stimulate some discussion about where to get o-rings cheaply, as well as what people think are good types of o-rings to get. geekhack is great for bringing together people from everywhere!

for instance, somebody brought up silicon o-rings here. Now what's the difference between imsto's sillicon guys and the more standard black orings from Amazon and WASD?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 21:54:45 »
O-rings come in various hardnesses. I believe that ones that can be found on Amazon are harder than the ones from Imsto but I can't find hardnesses of the Imsto rings.

Some more info can be found here. And WASD has set hardnesses that are mentioned in my review on o-rings and soft landing pads.

Alternatively, if you can find an orthodontist near you, you can try asking for the rubber bands they give out to kids with braces. Those seem to work as well.

And if you're looking to start a discussion, hopefully a mod can move this to keyboards or keycaps sub-forum. I think this is going to mis-lead people into thinking there's another GB or something.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 22:12:35 »

Well, I’m hoping to stimulate something useful really, and of course I also want to buy. With fairly large purchases, it makes a significant difference between paying WASD $17.99, and paying some factory $3 for each bag of 125 orings.

For the orthodontist rings, the problem is they are not that lasting and are not meant to be. They turn yellow in under a year in a hot climate, then you have to remove them or they get nasty and sticky and eventually damage your keystems by sticking to them. Won't matter if you live in Minnesota, but matters to me.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 01:59:30 »
I already have wasd o-rings, so if they're other size & other thickness, I'm interested.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 09:37:59 »
Yeah, that's the spirit!

If somebody was interested in organizing a group buy for o-rings, we might be able to get lots of different types at low prices.

I don't think a factory will talk to me for 1 measly bag of orings. But they might treat a 100-bag order seriously.

I already have wasd o-rings, so if they're other size & other thickness, I'm interested.