geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] 'deluxe' (aka broken printer :( ) learn to solder kits

(1/3) > >>

mkawa:
Folks,

As some know, the makerbot I've been using to make parts for various geekhackers products took a gigantic crap on me last week and ruined many a plan and generally made my life even more difficult than it needed to be.

However, I would still like to vend learn to solder kits, and I obviously want to hold them to the same standards of safety and quality that I applied when i designed the first batch (designs that i can no longer print because of said makerbot crap-taking). however, i've done some poking around and it looks like i can vend a "deluxe" version with the parts i based my designs on if i raise the price. the price difference is substantial -- about 50$. here is what i'm proposing:

-Edsyn CL1481 "fixed temperature" soldering iron. The same beefy iron that the first batch got. This iron is fantastic, and I hope to spread them far and wide, frankly.

-Edsyn tips: large, medium and small. The CL1481 has a low power rating, but a big heater. The key to soldering is, like most thermodynamics: surface contact. Want to put more power into a joint? use a bigger tip!

-Edsyn/GH DS017GH Soldapullt. The classic gigantic hand pump soldapullt with a chemically durable o-ring made of dupont viton fluorinated elastomer, and krytox fluorinated lubricant. increases the duty cycle and efficacy of the soldapullt design significantly.

-Edsyn KP101 flush cutter. An inexpensive, relatively high quality flush cutter. unlike most flush cutters in this price range, will not dull after cutting two wires (yes, i'm looking at you, CHP hakko products :|).

-1oz of Kester 44 RA 63/37 sn/pb alloy solder in 0.02" diameter. Material is traceable with date of manufacture in march of 2013. The activated rosin flux in this solder will be as effective as specified in the datasheet until approximately march of 2015 (kester 44 RA has a 2-3 year shelf-life). This is the best solder. There is simply no contest. Solder is delivered on a geekhack-designed spool that fits most 1lb solder spool holders

-(NEW) Edsyn TH107 soldapullt and solder spool holder. The geekhack-designed spool was actually built to fit into this spool holder. spool has integral handle for rotating spool inside of holder. Beefy accessory holder can hold tips, soldapullt, solder and whatever else you can manage to hang off it on your bench.

-(NEW) Edsyn iron holder: IP481(-2 potentially). This is an ESD safe iron holder with Edsyn's classic "pod" iron holder design. I am not at all ashamed to say that absolutely did my best to ape the edsyn pod with my own iron holder design. It is extremely safe -- the iron shaft and tip are completely encapsulated by the pod when the iron is idle. Further, the iron is thermally insulated in the pod. This means that very little power is being dissipated into the (self-regulating cl1481) heater, which keeps the handle at a much more comfortable temperature than typical wire-wound holders.

-(NEW, OPTIONAL) 220v world adapter. The LTS kit normally comes with a standard 6ft NEMA 15 US-style AC extension cord. This option adapts the extension cord to also convert 220v power into 110v power for the CL1481. Beefy transformer encapsulated by thick plastic and potted.

IC PRICING: with the addition of the TH107 and IP481, I'm very likely unable to sell the kit for less than 200$ shipped in the CONUS, depending on the quote I get, I could be looking at 210$ domestic. For Canadian orders, additional shipping fee of 10$ applies. For the 220v adapter, an extra 20$ and an international shipping quote will apply.

In order to offer these kits, I will have to special order TH107 and IP481 units. Lead time on these units is up to 10-15 days, and the smallest batch would be approximately 3 kits.

Please register your interest for a deluxe version of the LTS kit in this thread. If you would prefer to wait until the 3d printer is back up and producing the accessory and iron holders of my design, feel free to state you interest for that kit (pricing is in the previous GB thread, but is approximately 145$ shipped domestically).

last batch GB: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52851.0
Edsyn IP481: http://www.edsyn.com/index.php?Mode=piw&pn=IP481
Edsyn TH107: http://www.edsyn.com/index.php?Mode=piw&pn=TH107

tbc:
i'm going to be getting soldering equipment within 6-8 weeks to work on my MD ergodox.

I would prefer the 3D printed set if possible within that timeframe, but I would take the deluxe version if I had to.  If neither could make it within that timeframe to canada, I guess I would just buy locally.

mkawa:
printed sets are much iffier than deluxe sets in that timeframe. however, longest lead times on ip481s would probably be about 10 days ARO. the pods are readily available, they just have to run some bases off.

mkawa:
on reflection, if i break the 200 mark, i'd much rather source 951sx or 951sxes. these are fully fledged temp controlled soldering stations BUT they are very high power @ 95w elements; if you use one to learn to solder, prepare yourself with some boards and wiring that you're ok with completely destroying by accident -- the cl1481 based LTS kit is specifically designed to get going without needing to spend extra time learning to be extremely careful (because come on, who wants to sit around being methodical; iron's hot, let's go ;)). that said, a 20$ 220v option for the 951 series is fairly iffy.

looking at the numbers, i could do a LTS kit with the 951sxe, TH107, soldapullt, solder for about 230 shipped.

tbc:
this isn't quite related, but maybe find someone you trust to help you publish a video guide on how to use this SPECIFIC set of equipment? (now that you mention there is increased risk of beginner error)

I find that guides always show you how to do things properly, but I also find that seeing things done properly doesn't necessarily help you as much as when you also show it done wrong.

personally, I was going to get a cheap g80-3000 to harvest switches + test keycaps from at a later date, but I guess I should probably get it earlier and learn how not to melt keyboards on that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version