Author Topic: [IC] 43 Studio - Radiance TKL | GB details finalized [23/4/21]  (Read 78559 times)

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
[IC] 43 Studio - Radiance TKL | GB details finalized [23/4/21]
« on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 05:49:12 »
Hi! On behalf of 43 Studio, I'm helping them to present Radiance to you all.
[I've noticed that a lot of people are mistaking me as the designer of the kit, 43 Studio should be the one who's taking full credit for the kit design, I'm just helping them to handle the IC, GB and logistic side]

| Discord | Product Page (pending) |

Interest Check form: https://forms.gle/kV5ZMdrTXgqtcR1C6

Message from 43

Greetings! I'm 43 from 43 Studio, a designer from China. Radiance is my second kit design, there is a lot of good fellows in the community, and it's only because of you all, I could be able to know more and indulge myself into this hobby. Thank you all in advance for coming in.

Without further ado, please allow me to introduce to you all the Radiance. Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to leave a comment.
[Jeff will help collect all the questions, concerns and feedback, I will answer them all]

Background
Click to see more
More
Radiance, as the name suggests it means radiating light, it is a 80% TKL, adopting the common top mount design with a typing angle of 7 degree. Despite the it looks complex, the ability to customize your board is very high.

First off, the design language. We adopt the blunt, pronounce style instead of a sleek and seamless thin bezel design. A lot of customizable modules were added to the design, as well as RGB elements, which will be introduced in the following. In Oct of 2019, an early prototype was made, but I felt like there was something missing, after half year of daily use, I kept on amending the design and placing orders for rounds of prototypes; accumulating a total of 5 both the kit and PCB prototypes. Now it is finally in a shape where I wanted it to be at. The group buy for China has concluded on 1st July this year, and I would like to take the opportunity here to thank you those who joined the group buy.

Kit design
Click to see more
More
The internal structure, we adopt the common top mount system, which provides stability to holding the parts together in a robust manner, as well as providing a typing experience that we all are familiar with. By offering transparent 3mm custom rubber pad in between internals and bottom case, it not only could serve as a tool to neutralize one of the most common problems in top mount cases - the hollow sound when bottoming out switches, but also it could serve as a light diffuser, elegantly radiating the light in a softer and soothing fashion.

As for the surface finish, we are offering anodized and e-coat surface finish. I would also like to especially point out that Radiance's E-White will be undergoing a MAO procedures before e-coating it, making the surface silky smooth, and the white will also be brighter than ordinary E-White. Other than these 2 common surface finish, we also provide PVD mirror polished surface finish; all of which will be undergone in a well experienced factory and I will also be checking in personally from time to time to make sure the quality of work is up on par.

Dissection of Radiance

The 4 accent bars on the top left corner are all independent, you could purchase extra accent bars, or exchange yours with your friends to customize the board to suit your own taste. Given the options available for pick up, the possibilities are endless. Imagine the ability to swap the accent bar to accommodate to your keyset, matching the theme as a whole board, that's the crux of custom board!

Rear of the Radiance, there comes the backplate; at the edge of the backplate, those are taillight of Radiance, also where the RGB light shines through. The design philosophy of it goes without saying, the pieces just perfectly blend into the case, integrating, complimenting each other in a nice,  subtle way and that's what the Radiance is about.

Top case of the Radiance, there are 3 holes sitting aside the "Up Arrow", which can be used as a light accents or you could fill it up with a block of metal accent; the choice is yours. Both of the light diffuser and metal accent (brass clear PVD mirror polished) will be provided in the kit.

TLDR spec sheet + surface finish options

Supported bottom layout

WK
1.5/1/1.5/7/1.5/1/1.5
1.25/1.25/1.25/6.25/1.25/1.25/1.25/1.25

S-WKL
1.25/1.25/1.25/6.25/1.25/1.25/1.25

WKL
1.5/1.5/7/1.5/1.5

IRL pictures

Render
thank you render-man Kingk22 for these amazing renders

| Red PVD Mirror Polished | GMK Red Classic | S-WKL |

| Black Ano | GMK Monochrome | WKL |

| PC | GMK Serika | WK |

Typing Demo

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV12A411v7Hc
| Stock Obsidian switch w/ film | JWK Stabilizers |

Packaging

Big carrying case cancelled due to unrealistically topped shipping fee, it will be replaced with keyboard box.

Banner

Support the project by adding this to your signature!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107845.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/1PlGCoW.png[/img][/url]

Progress

- Initiate IC
- Collect feedbacks
- GB details finalization
- Start of GB

Update Progress:

1st Aug: Initiate IC
2nd Aug: Amend Spec sheet --- no ISO/Split Backspace support | Add prototype | Add bottom layout support
10th Aug: Amend Spec sheet --- yes ISO support | Add Typing Demo | Add Packaging pics
22nd Aug: Amend Spec sheet --- yes QMK PCB | Add potential NA/CA vendor | Add FAQ section
21st Apr: Finalized GB details | GB initiating soon | Added IRL pics
23rd Apr: Updated on details

FAQ:

Will there be dyed-color PC case?

No.

Will there be PVD mirror polished case?

No.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 03:38:59 by senryo »

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
Re: 43 Studio - Radiance TKL
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 05:49:35 »
FAQ

Two things I'm concerned with. In some renders there is a Radiance logo on the top plate; is that going to be in the final layout? I'd enjoy the board much more with no top plate logo. Also in the first three set of renders the second angle shows that the top plate doesnt fully cover the back plate, leaving additional space under the board. However the prototypes look like the top plate does fully cover all the way up to the back plate which I like way more.

Lastly, since this case does not support other 87PCBs, is there an option of getting the December QMK PCB along with this order or are the plans just to ship without QMK and people who want it just have to order separately in December.

Radiance logo will not be on the top case in the final product.

Top case will fully cover the bottom case.

QMK powered PCB will now be offered in with the standard kit, shipped together.

Seems Matrix inspired for sure.  The weight design doesn't fit the rest of the look in my eyes.  I would prefer to see something more simple/geometric that fits the rest of the design.

I second this, Weight design looks out of place. Kind of reminds me of the think 6.5 badge.

43 believes that the gear will help portray better presentation of back logo illumination.

https://i.imgur.com/X3O7SdE.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/NQttCwo.mp4

Will there be an option for PC bottom case?

Yes.

How does the RGB look like?

https://i.imgur.com/m2sv91C.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/e1RKBVx.mp4

Will you provide plate file so we can make our own plate in the future?

Yes.

What will hotswappable PCB support?

Only supports bottom WKL, ANSI layout.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 August 2020, 11:15:29 by senryo »

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 05:56:14 »
Yes

Offline 002_GT

• KR Boards OP
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 06:11:52 »
 :eek:

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 06:15:14 »
Very interesting design language, I’m excited to see some real-world examples of how light diffuses.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline falzm

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 06:22:56 »
My interest is checked ✅

Offline xgamefreakz

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 06:56:47 »
Any idea what would be the rough weight of this keyboard?

Offline bananathock

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 06:57:53 »
NOOOOO! another Senryo board. I love it!

Offline Capsy

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 07:18:03 »
Nice to see this on GH. Saw your initial posts on the Chinese zF forums and thought it looked really cool.

Offline iaman

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 07:35:07 »
Dang, this sounds pretty neat and looks pretty dope! What’s the firmware for this PCB? QMK?

Offline knoxprairie

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 08:04:53 »
Looks excellent! It's nice to see a truly unique keyboard; I feel like lately there have been a lot of very similar 65% and TKL variants. I'm super excited for all the customization

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 08:13:04 »
Really interested in seeing the mirror and green finishes, very interested in this kit  :thumb:

Offline JCkingp1n

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 08:41:45 »
Would love to see more renders, including one comparing the silver color that are anodized and mirrored

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 08:45:27 »
NOOOOO! another Senryo board. I love it!

Just to clarify, this is a 43 Studio design
I have nothing to do with their design besides helping to proxy/sort out the international orders for them.
Thank you for the support tho  :-*.

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 09:11:33 »
Looking really good :thumb:

Offline Lenux

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 09:24:17 »
Looks awesome ! Count me in ! GLWIC

Offline macomac

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 10:03:29 »
I wasn't looking for a TKL, but now I am. Really liking this design!  :)

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 10:12:08 »
this looks dope

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 10:25:02 »
you had me at WKL :D

Offline titanium

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 10:43:59 »
The renders without the 'Radiance' engravings above the arrows look much cleaner and I hope this transfers to the final version.

The 'Unique' engraving on the back also looks unnecessary and would take away the beauty of the back weight.

I believe the unique placements of the accents already give the name and extra engravings would look tacky and ruin the aesthetic.

If you promise to be able to QC these properly (given the unlimited GB nature), I will definitely be in.

Offline Dunne

• Dunne
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 12:11:03 »
look forward to the future updates of this board :thumb:

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 14:47:24 »
Pink pls

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 16:20:36 »
That design rocks. Color options are very interesting too. Definitely in for that one.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 18:06:33 »
Seems Matrix inspired for sure.  The weight design doesn't fit the rest of the look in my eyes.  I would prefer to see something more simple/geometric that fits the rest of the design.

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 18:16:51 »
I'm gonna take a poke at the weight/back design also. Wondering how the word radiance fits with gears or cogs. Radiance sounds more like sunbeams shining down or out from something.

Offline Coby

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 18:30:10 »
plsssss change the USB port to either the left or center and it will make it perfect

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 18:55:31 »
This looks neat. So, do you plan to have vendors or do it yourself?

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
Re: [IC] 43 Studio - Radiance TKL
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 01:55:35 »
I'm answering all the questions on behalf of 43.  ;D

Very interesting design language, I’m excited to see some real-world examples of how light diffuses.

Prototype pictures added.

Dang, this sounds pretty neat and looks pretty dope! What’s the firmware for this PCB? QMK?

B-Face.

Any idea what would be the rough weight of this keyboard?

Fully assembled aluminium case is around 4kg.

The renders without the 'Radiance' engravings above the arrows look much cleaner and I hope this transfers to the final version.

The 'Unique' engraving on the back also looks unnecessary and would take away the beauty of the back weight.

I believe the unique placements of the accents already give the name and extra engravings would look tacky and ruin the aesthetic.

If you promise to be able to QC these properly (given the unlimited GB nature), I will definitely be in.

There will be no engraving on top of the arrow.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 03:24:40 »

Fully assembled aluminium case is around 4kg.

AM I reading that right? 4kg fully built?! This is going to be a rock-solid beast  :eek: . This is amazing!!! Also no green-colored prototypes yet?

Offline KMPLSV

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 03:51:38 »
i can't wait to get in on that purple. looks awesome so far. your mother and i are glad of you son.

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 04:39:54 »
i can't wait to get in on that purple. looks awesome so far. your mother and i are glad of you son.

Hooooooooold up, WAT?? Father has joined the chat?  :D

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 09:21:15 »

B-Face.

yikes.

not using QMK in 2020.  :-X

Offline Onnimar

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:39:43 »
At first I wasn't sure about the design direction. But the black dye polycarbonate proto looks beautiful. However, no QMK or ISO support is a no go for me. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 August 2020, 13:35:20 by Onnimar »

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 11:35:09 »
Yeah, no QMK support turns me right off.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 11:47:37 »
does the case support standard 87 PCB like the hiney h87 (usb-c/mini-b) or the infinity 87 from mechlovin?

Offline japancakes

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 15:07:06 »
This design is crazy and different. Certainly a fan and watching.

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 15:31:53 »
The black PC looks really nice.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 18:37:16 »

I second this, Weight design looks out of place. Kind of reminds me of the think 6.5 badge.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 August 2020, 12:49:45 by wholypantalones »

Offline xgamefreakz

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 22:08:52 »
What materials will be offered for the plates? could not find information on that.
Also, is it dual 3mm foams or just 1 piece?
And will there be a build stream or typing test of any sorts before the GB starts?

Offline doooostin

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 00:10:51 »
Definitely will be looking out for this one.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 00:44:03 »
Will PCB support ISO / split backspace ? Then with provided .dxf plate files one could make their own.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 05:55:36 »
The black dyed PC case looks stunning.  Will there be ISO support along with the WKL.  If so please count me in for sure.  Great looking board my friend, well done.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline keyboardnuby

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 06:01:49 »
As some have said before me keen to see more renders - hoping the Red polished won't have pink side panels?

Offline pqpq

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 04:17:23 »
+1 for QMK!

Offline Congree

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 04:11:23 »
Very interested, is there a discord group so we can keep up better with the development of this board?

Offline Kingjunguhn

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 04:22:10 »
forgive me if its already in the description but have you guys thought about what plate options there will be?
url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107845.0][/url

Offline senryo

• Thic Thock
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 11:37:32 »
What materials will be offered for the plates? could not find information on that.
Also, is it dual 3mm foams or just 1 piece?
And will there be a build stream or typing test of any sorts before the GB starts?

Comes with PVD Mirror Polished Brass plate
1 piece
Added to the #1

Yeah, no QMK support turns me right off.

At first I wasn't sure about the design direction. But the black dye polycarbonate proto looks beautiful. However, no QMK or ISO support is a no go for me. 

B-Face.

yikes.

not using QMK in 2020.  :-X

Will PCB support ISO / split backspace ? Then with provided .dxf plate files one could make their own.

does the case support standard 87 PCB like the hiney h87 (usb-c/mini-b) or the infinity 87 from mechlovin?

The black dyed PC case looks stunning.  Will there be ISO support along with the WKL.  If so please count me in for sure.  Great looking board my friend, well done.

+1 for QMK!

- QMK PCB will be available on December as extras
- ISO / split shift support (communication error before, it should be supported)

As some have said before me keen to see more renders - hoping the Red polished won't have pink side panels?

It should be just lighting issue, mirror polished finish will reflect red instead of pinkish red

Very interested, is there a discord group so we can keep up better with the development of this board?

https://discord.gg/2MRrdPW

forgive me if its already in the description but have you guys thought about what plate options there will be?

Brass / Aluminium
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 August 2020, 11:39:10 by senryo »

Offline Anthixious

Re: [IC] 43 Studio - Radiance TKL | 10 Aug update
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 11:44:48 »
The packaging contents are top notch!  :thumb:

Offline pickoloh

Re: [IC] 43 Studio - Radiance TKL | 10 Aug update
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 11:35:40 »
interested!
k e e b

Offline titanium

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 12:07:37 »

I am also curious about this, standard PCBs are great as it makes finding one down the road less of a hassle.