Author Topic: Is bringing my HHKB to school a bad idea?  (Read 8934 times)

Offline Johan

Re: Is bringing my HHKB to school a bad idea?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:24:58 »
It seems like a bad idea, if you do decide to bring it don't tell people what its worth.
Uh, stuff.

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:26:03 »
In how many classes in a typical day are you seated at a computer? In my day it was just the CS class and Typing (though that was just the last year; all previous years they had Selectrics). So my opportunities to use a keyboard were CS and whatever study hall I wasn't using to practice music. And I didn't bring my own because we had PS/2s and they had good keyboards.

I don't know enough about modern education to have an opinion on whether laptops or PCs in class are good or bad. Just wondering how many classes now use a computer enough to justify bringing your own typing weapon.
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:35:24 »
This thread makes me feel incredibly old. My typing class in high school was with an electric typewriter.

But, I'm not old enough to forget what high school was like, and it sounds like your parents have some very real concerns. I don't think anyone would steal the keyboard due to it's value or it's awesomeness (though it certainly has copious amounts of both). It is likely that your parents are concerned with someone stealing it just to **** with you. Which is a sad, but unfortunately, very real reality of many high school environments. If you value your keyboard, and people know it, it instantly becomes a mechanism to mess with you - a means to an end, regardless of value to them. I realize that is incredibly pessimistic, and maybe this is not your experience in high school. I guess you have to use your judgement to decide if there is any risk in the situation. It sounds like you are centered enough to not let someone else's opinion of you sway your decision making necessarily, which is a wonderful trait to have. It is very hard to have a unique voice in an environment that does a lot to silence it.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:52:28 »
If you have to ask ...

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 15:31:49 »
If you have to ask ...

Exactly. I think you already know. It's high school. **** gets broken or stolen constantly, and people get made fun of or picked on for WAY less nerdy **** than bringing their own special nerd-board to school. Just type the keyboard on your laptop for crying out loud. It's fine, it will work, and it won't brand you as a dweeb like hauling out some special Japanese $200+ keyboard. Seriously.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 15:49:13 »
It's not a huge deal either.

I wanted to take it to class, not for bragging, or showing off, but because I like typing on a keyboard I enjoy, well it's not the end of the world if I type on a regular old membrane, I just prefer otherwise.

And it was less that I was concerned, more so others thinking I'm going to be a target of some conspiracy against me? Everyone in my family already thinks I'm trying to "Different" for the sake of it. I guess my family is afraid my "Weirdness" is going to look bad.  :))

And yes, I've paid for my board, no one else has.  :rolleyes:

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 15:56:06 »

I wanted to take it to class, not for bragging, or showing off, but because I like typing on a keyboard I enjoy, well it's not the end of the world if I type on a regular old membrane, I just prefer otherwise.

And it was less that I was concerned, more so others thinking I'm going to be a target of some conspiracy against me? Everyone in my family already thinks I'm trying to "Different" for the sake of it. I guess my family is afraid my "Weirdness" is going to look bad.  :))

People asked me in school why I own so many keyboards, and to explain it in a simplified way, I just say because I can customize them and make them look like the way I want to. My parents think it is a bit weird of a hobby, but they don't care if I bring it to school or anything. And how do your parents know you are going to bring it to school?

Offline Huxley2500

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 16:04:54 »
I don't care if people say anything, it's more of the parents thinking It'll get stolen or I'll get the **** beat out of me? It sounds insane but they think it will lead to nothing but doom.  :rolleyes:

Who paid for it?

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 16:05:17 »

People asked me in school why I own so many keyboards, and to explain it in a simplified way, I just say because I can customize them and make them look like the way I want to. My parents think it is a bit weird of a hobby, but they don't care if I bring it to school or anything. And how do your parents know you are going to bring it to school?
They wouldn't really. Just trying to compare their rational and see if I'm not insane for thinking contrary to them. I Mentioned it once and that's when they threw in their thoughts.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 16:16:40 by Air tree »

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 16:05:54 »
I don't care if people say anything, it's more of the parents thinking It'll get stolen or I'll get the **** beat out of me? It sounds insane but they think it will lead to nothing but doom.  :rolleyes:

Who paid for it?
Me.

EDIT: Needless double post. My mistake.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 16:07:16 »

They wouldn't really. Just trying to compare their rational and see if I'm not insane for thinking contrary to them. I Mentioned it once and that's when they through in their thoughts.
Not crazy for thinking that. I have noticed that I would only feel comfortable bringing my HHKB or nonflashy board, and I also feel that anything more than like a 70% is a bit too much to bring.

Offline techy1

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 17:59:37 »
It really depends on youre school. Just dont brag about the keyboard and you should be fine.

Offline oledome

• not batman
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 18:05:40 »
Unless you are spending most of the school day on a computer I'd say bringing a keyboard is not a smart idea.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 18:19:21 »
Bring expensive unnecessary things to school is always bad idea imo

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 05:32:02 »
Bringing to a open class nah a bad idea. I only would it bring if you had to write a super long essay in peace like in a school library or something.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 06:31:40 »
Bringing to a open class nah a bad idea. I only would it bring if you had to write a super long essay in peace like in a school library or something.

bruh... the dates :))

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 07:09:24 »

Idk know bruh it was already on the top before i even commented on it  ^-^ . Oh well topic is back alive  :blank:
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 22:02:25 »

I have no idea how people find these old incidents, but a lot of them bring back some memories.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ