Author Topic: [GB] Custom CNC Aluminum Cases for Cooler Master TKL boards (SHIPPED)  (Read 140525 times)

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
Re: [GB] Custom CNC Aluminum Cases for Cooler Master TKL boards (MANUFACTURING)
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 14:15:51 »
Norbauer these look really amazing, I am kicking myself for not getting in on this. Was just out of budget, but I really love watching this whole process and seeing everything evolve. I hope that you continue to produce products after this project.

Offline nurbs

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 22:19:26 »
The blue case is really nice in person. I couldn't quite capture the beauty of the case in a photo, but here's a pic for what it's worth. This not 100% color accurate.

EDIT: added a second photo.

Show Image

Show Image

You've captured it fine! That looks amazing.

Offline consolelog

« Reply #252 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 23:05:15 »
https://www.originativeco.com/products/novatouch-alucase?variant=25368557968

Well thats a bummer... looks like paying the extra premium for a silver case wasn't that worth it.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #253 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 23:45:11 »

Well thats a bummer... looks like paying the extra premium for a silver case wasn't that worth it.

If it makes you feel any better, Originative paid for their non-standard colors on a per-color basis as well. That you selected one of the same colors just means you share their excellent taste. ;) Of course, it also means you didn't have to buy a bundled Novatouch.

For whatever it's worth.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #254 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 23:49:26 »

Yeah I bought a silver one from originativeco yesterday. Damn, when is the next GB round? I have a powerful desire for the dark blue  case!!!

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #255 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 05:38:18 »
Only a few weeks until cases start arriving to buyers. Anything we should know about the process of swapping the case? Guessing you've opened up a few of these by now.

Offline ErgoSloth

« Reply #256 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 07:39:16 »
The blue case is really nice in person. I couldn't quite capture the beauty of the case in a photo, but here's a pic for what it's worth. This not 100% color accurate.

Show Image

Show Image

That looks GORGEOUS  :eek:

Galaxy Class set too, I need to get me one of those for my warm gray case like in the pics  ;)

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #257 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 07:58:05 »
Only a few weeks until cases start arriving to buyers. Anything we should know about the process of swapping the case? Guessing you've opened up a few of these by now.

There's four screws on the bottom of the keyboard holding the top cover in place. Note that one of the screws is under the Novatouch sticker. Once you remove those and separate the top from the bottom, there's two smaller screws holding the USB port to the bottom tray. Remove those and the guts of the keyboard should come right out.

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #258 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 07:59:19 »

Show Image

Show Image

That looks GORGEOUS  :eek:

Galaxy Class set too, I need to get me one of those for my warm gray case like in the pics  ;)

What Pantone match is that?

I may have missed out on this GB, I NEED that for my Realforce in R2  :p

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline E3E

« Reply #259 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 08:26:15 »
I only have one Topre board and I loathe getting lost in the waves of the MX compatible world, but I have to admit that this case is very very nice. Great work, norbauer!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #260 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 09:32:39 »

There's four screws on the bottom of the keyboard holding the top cover in place. Note that one of the screws is under the Novatouch sticker. Once you remove those and separate the top from the bottom, there's two smaller screws holding the USB port to the bottom tray. Remove those and the guts of the keyboard should come right out.

I've been hoping to write up some instructions to post with photos, but this pretty much sums it up. The only additional point I'd make is that the two halves of the case are pretty well locked together via plastic tabs and depressions that seat inside of each other, so I always have to use one or two big flat-head screwdrivers (or other type of wedge) to get the case open. I actually generally find two of these to be an extremely useful tool in general for wedging and prying open plastic housings without marring the case itself as metal screwdrivers can sometimes do: http://amzn.to/2jaeBX5

Also, yes, it took me a while to figure out that one of the screws on the bottom of the case is always hidden under sticker. I think one of the cases (the Masterkeys maybe?) actually had two of these. So if the case isn't budging open at all, hunt around under the stickers on the bottom of the case; you've probably missed a screw.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 January 2017, 09:35:08 by norbauer »

« Reply #261 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 09:56:58 »

I've been hoping to write up some instructions to post with photos, but this pretty much sums it up. The only additional point I'd make is that the two halves of the case are pretty well locked together via plastic tabs and depressions that seat inside of each other, so I always have to use one or two big flat-head screwdrivers (or other type of wedge) to get the case open. Also, yes, it took me a while to figure out that one of the screws on the bottom of the case is always hidden under sticker. I think one of the cases (the Masterkeys maybe?) actually had two of these. So if the case isn't budging open at all, hunt around under the stickers on the bottom of the case; you've probably missed a screw.

That would be cool. I would imagine someone might be able to damage those plastic tabs on the original case or even the usb connector on the PCB if they did not know what they were doing and opened it up incorrectly/recklessly. But reading your posts and looking at some teardowns it seems pretty self explanatory, doubt someone will mess it up.

Also, do you know what pantone color originativeco.com used for their dark grey version? I ordered a custom grey for myself (7540 C) so I'm curious.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 January 2017, 10:46:52 by fine_italian_leather »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #262 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 10:08:40 »
Also, do you know what pantone color originativeco.com used for their dark grey version? I ordered a custom grey for myself (7540 C) so I'm curious.

The "dark gray" ended up being "Cool Gray 11C," which is actually almost identical to 7540C.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 January 2017, 10:23:03 by norbauer »

« Reply #263 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 10:37:36 »

The "dark gray" ended up being "Cool Gray 11C," which is actually almost identical to 7540C.

Yeah they are indeed very close, mine is just a touch darker. Cool, that should give me an idea of how mine ended up once they post actual pictures of theirs. Thanks.

Offline nurbs

« Reply #264 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 19:23:47 »
Curious how different profiles like DSA (like the Galaxy set pictures), SA, OEM, or Cherry sound on the aluminum case.

So far it seems more "pingy" than the trademark "thocky" sound a topre switch makes (sorry but that is as close as I can describe it):

Only two vids I have found on youtube showing a sound test with what looks like OEM/Cherry keycaps:

Here is a sample of some Topres with a silenced hypersphere NT (and plastic OEM case) and SA keycaps comparison:

Here is another with a NT and Carbon SA with stock case (and no hyperspheres) along with a HHKB:

Would modding the aluminum case with drawer liners or some kind of foam padding to dampen the ping help? (along with some hyperspheres of course).
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2017, 05:35:02 by nurbs »

Offline E3E

« Reply #265 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 21:28:41 »
I think that's the nature of the housing itself. Plastic tends to give a deeper kind of thock, even in old Alps boards, compared to a solid piece of aluminum or even a metal-backed vintage board. My metal-backed boards have a shallower sound, but also a crisper sound too. 

My Orion and Mira have a sound that's not as deep as you'd hear from typing on an an Alps SKCM Blue board in a vintage plastic case. Very resonant with all that extra space too. It also, of course, depends on the typing surface as well. Some sounds get deadened. My desk has a mat over it, so you don't hear the impacts of the keypresses against the desk much at all.

Offline nurbs

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 05:47:43 »
I think that's the nature of the housing itself. Plastic tends to give a deeper kind of thock, even in old Alps boards, compared to a solid piece of aluminum or even a metal-backed vintage board. My metal-backed boards have a shallower sound, but also a crisper sound too. 

My Orion and Mira have a sound that's not as deep as you'd hear from typing on an an Alps SKCM Blue board in a vintage plastic case. Very resonant with all that extra space too. It also, of course, depends on the typing surface as well. Some sounds get deadened. My desk has a mat over it, so you don't hear the impacts of the keypresses against the desk much at all.

That's certainly true. I own three aluminum keyboard cases (two TKLs and a 60%) and have dampened their high pitched "pings" with foam liners.

This aluminum housing was originally created with a Topre board in mind (the Novatouch). For many, the appeal of Topre is the feel and the acoustics of the switches. If putting an aluminum housing negates that thocky sound, then it loses its "topre-ness".

With that said, there is an aluminum case for the Realforce called the Digilog. Youtube videos for this housing do not seem to have hampered its "thockyness". I wonder if it is partly how the interior shape of the case is designed - like the innards of a violin or a cello or any stringed instrument.

I am in no way being critical of Norbauer's design - just bringing this up for thoughtful discussion. I love aluminum cases and have ordered one as well  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2017, 05:56:16 by nurbs »

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #267 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 06:50:16 »
When I measure the plate or other parts could you say that it could fit?

Could you maybe post a pic of the underside of the plate and the USB cable that lives on the interior of the case? That should probably be enough for me to be able to say.

Does this picture help?

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2017, 06:52:26 by madhias »
... ...

Offline norbauer

« Reply #268 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 11:15:26 »
When I measure the plate or other parts could you say that it could fit?

Could you maybe post a pic of the underside of the plate and the USB cable that lives on the interior of the case? That should probably be enough for me to be able to say.

Does this picture help?

Show Image

Absolutely; thanks! Looks identical to me to the Rapid-i to me. Even though I haven't personally tested it, looks like we should probably add Rapid-Si to the list of keyboards that this case fits.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #269 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 11:17:30 »
Incidentally, the keyboard cases are currently in Los Angeles waiting for customs processing. Apparently a lot of factories try to rush stuff out the door right before the long Chinese New Year factory closings in China, so customs here in the US is a bit backed up. I'll continue to provide updates as I have them.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #270 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 12:24:54 »
Incidentally, the keyboard cases are currently in Los Angeles waiting for customs processing. Apparently a lot of factories try to rush stuff out the door right before the long Chinese New Year factory closings in China, so customs here in the US is a bit backed up. I'll continue to provide updates as I have them.

Yep, customs in China can also get backed thanks to factories rushing to get stuff on the water before CNY. Happened with one of my ocean shipments, Chinese customs delays made the container miss it's boat, unfortunately.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #271 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 20:51:53 »

Yep, customs in China can also get backed thanks to factories rushing to get stuff on the water before CNY. Happened with one of my ocean shipments, Chinese customs delays made the container miss it's boat, unfortunately.

Yes, unfortunately I continue to await for the shipment to emerge from customs. I spoke with DHL today and they said that there is no particular reason to be concerned; the shipment is in Los Angeles, has gone through an initial round of inspection, and just awaiting final customs processing. DHL is at the mercy of the Department of Homeland Security to finish these inspections in a timely manner, so who knows how long it will take. I'll continue to try to be patient.  :rolleyes:

Offline Panzerhawx

• Endgame is a lie. You just end up buying more.
    • cartel
« Reply #272 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 21:21:21 »
Hey Norbauer, have you considered doing an FC660C case for R2?

Unlike the HHKB it's plate mounted like the NT and other Realforce boards so it should be the same difficulty in terms of manufacturing.

I second that, a 660C case would be great. There might currently be more 87U Realforces than 660C boards out there, though.

I would also be in for a 660C case. There has been a lot of complaints about how the FC660M alu case on MD does NOT fit the 660C, due to a slightly shifted USB port cutout.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #273 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 09:25:45 »

Unlike the HHKB it's plate mounted like the NT and other Realforce boards so it should be the same difficulty in terms of manufacturing.

I second that, a 660C case would be great. There might currently be more 87U Realforces than 660C boards out there, though.

I would also be in for a 660C case. There has been a lot of complaints about how the FC660M alu case on MD does NOT fit the 660C, due to a slightly shifted USB port cutout.

If he did run one, I wonder if you could drop a clueboard 66% into it still?  Would be nice to have a 66% or 68% fully programmable in a nice aluminum case.  I guess the plate for the clueboard and MD case are probably meant to fit together, so maybe not.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 23:09:18 »
As every day goes by, I regret that I didn't buy more than one of these.  Damn, I should have bought THREE!  One in white, one in beige and one in a Commodore 64 brown!

Bring on round 2!

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #275 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 13:22:45 »
I'm not sure that's the place to say it, but yeah, I'm instantly in for a FC660C case.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2017, 18:15:32 by ramnes »
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline odd

« Reply #276 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 17:49:40 »

If he did run one, I wonder if you could drop a clueboard 66% into it still?  Would be nice to have a 66% or 68% fully programmable in a nice aluminum case.  I guess the plate for the clueboard and MD case are probably meant to fit together, so maybe not.

The plate does fit the 660M alu case, in fact I am typing on it right now.

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #277 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 21:33:24 »
my oco order just shipped. I am shaking in anticipation!

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #278 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 12:35:27 »
Will there be a round 2 anytime soon?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #279 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 12:45:54 »

Enough people have emailed to ask me to do so that a swift round 2 is currently my plan, but I want to focus on getting this one done first before committing to anything. :) Join the following list, if you'd like, and you'll be among the first to know.
http://norbauer.us7.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=03bd2d8a9d2480d7fda4743d1&id=c4bbb079d4

I now have the cases and so far everything looks good. More updates soon. :)

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #280 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 12:52:35 »
;D ;D ;D

Just ship them abroad soon before the borders get closed! :cool:

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #281 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 15:22:39 »

Enough people have emailed to ask me to do so that a swift round 2 is currently my plan, but I want to focus on getting this one done first before committing to anything. :) Join the following list, if you'd like, and you'll be among the first to know.
http://norbauer.us7.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=03bd2d8a9d2480d7fda4743d1&id=c4bbb079d4

I now have the cases and so far everything looks good. More updates soon. :)

PICS PLS
for our mental health

Offline norbauer

« Reply #282 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 00:29:36 »
Haha. I'll have pics tomorrow, guys. I've been working all day unwrapping, re-wrapping, taping together boxes, etc. First cases should go out later this week and I expect most everything to be out the door by the following week.

Offline axtran

« Reply #283 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 01:00:10 »
Haha. I'll have pics tomorrow, guys. I've been working all day unwrapping, re-wrapping, taping together boxes, etc. First cases should go out later this week and I expect most everything to be out the door by the following week.

This is such exciting news! :D
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #284 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 13:12:18 »

Can't wait to see those glorious piles of cases  :p

Thanks for all your hard work on this GB  :thumb:

Offline EugeneYap83

« Reply #285 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 07:25:26 »
Thanks Ryan for the update  :thumb:.

I'm eagerly waiting.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #286 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 15:07:57 »
Here are some photos. I've also shot some video today but that'll take some time to edit together along with the footage from the factory.

Still hard at work. :)

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #287 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 15:10:45 »
Awesome update - I bought one from Oco, but wish I had gotten in on the GB to purchase additional colors!

« Reply #288 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 15:57:22 »
Are there two types of feet? looks like it in those images

Offline norbauer

« Reply #289 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 16:03:09 »
Are there two types of feet? looks like it in those images

No. Some are just pushed more deeply into the foam than others in that photo.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #290 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 16:22:52 »
This is CNC porn!!

:p

Offline poolside

« Reply #291 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 16:41:29 »
Hmm, which one is mine?
From the side in that bubble-wrap, the cases look boring. All spread out under the light, they look nice and sharp however. :)

Offline K

• stop trying to reset my password... use a VPN
« Reply #292 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 16:43:58 »
Oh wow so hyped for these to arrive! I see that some of the cases and riser feet are black I thought that you were going to go around to local companies to get the blacks done later? Or are they some sort of very dark grey can't tell. Anyway great job they look amazing in the pictures. :thumb:

Offline poolside

« Reply #293 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 16:54:07 »
Oh wow so hyped for these to arrive! I see that some of the cases and riser feet are black I thought that you were going to go around to local companies to get the blacks done later? Or are they some sort of very dark grey can't tell. Anyway great job they look amazing in the pictures. :thumb:

Black was one of the standard colors offered. The particular black color you mean was the Enigma black.

Offline zah

« Reply #294 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 19:07:35 »
hell yeah

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #295 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 19:59:44 »
Nice!!! Thanks for the updates!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #296 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 21:37:27 »
Important note for international group buy participants, please check your email (including spam folder). If you just got an email from me—or if your order number is lower than 1062—then I need your phone number in order to be able to ship to you. (It wasn't until later in the group buy that I turned on the requirement of entering a phone number to be able to check out.) This is a DHL requirement.

Thanks!

Offline nurbs

« Reply #297 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 21:50:22 »
This is amazing work Ryan. Great job!

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #298 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 01:37:22 »
Thanks for the update.  We are getting very close.  Any minute now.  Can't wait!

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #299 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 05:03:20 »
Dang...