Author Topic: Co-worker's keyboard  (Read 4293 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Co-worker's keyboard
« on: Fri, 30 November 2007, 06:05:56 »
Snapped a quick pic of one of my co-worker's keyboards:

:)

Offline Bluemercury

Co-worker's keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 November 2007, 07:26:21 »
You really like small keyboards.....:P
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Co-worker's keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 November 2007, 19:38:18 »
Hey, that looks like mine, only it's a different color and mine feels A LOT better to type on.

Offline iMav

Co-worker's keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 November 2007, 20:30:55 »
It's the original HHKB "Lite"  (without the arrow keys).  Key feel is certainly nothing to write home about...but I love the key layout of the HHKB's.

Offline Mikecase00

• http://www.mikecase.net
Co-worker's keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 November 2007, 20:37:11 »
Dang that's tiny!

Typing on a keyboard without a set of arrow keys and editing block (insert/delete/home/end) would be like typing without index fingers for me.  I just use them too much to do without them.  When I code, having those keys really saves me from using my mouse at all.

It's cute though lol
IBM Model M 1391401 (dyed black) w/ keys from M-13
IBM M-13 Trackpoint (naturally black)
IBM Model M 1392934 SpaceSaver
Several plain IBM 1391401 Ms
Epson Equity Q203A
http://www.mikecase.net

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Co-worker's keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 November 2007, 21:27:17 »
The HHKBs have those keys. Next to the right shift is an Fn key. Look at the pic closely. I have often said the HHKB keyboards have the most well thought out layout in the industry.

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
Co-worker's keyboard
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 November 2007, 22:03:45 »
Quote from: Mikecase00
Dang that's tiny!

Typing on a keyboard without a set of arrow keys and editing block (insert/delete/home/end) would be like typing without index fingers for me.  I just use them too much to do without them.  When I code, having those keys really saves me from using my mouse at all.

It's cute though lol

autohotkey.com - lol im becoming an official spokesman. but i have to say ever since I discovered it i cant get over how awesome it is.
I have autohotkey set up to where I hold capslock and just use I, J, K, L as arrow keys.  It looks like I might be able to set up a toggle mod where I can hit capslock and it turns I,J,K,L into arrow keys and then hit it again to turn it off that way I dont have to hold it down.

Quote from: xsphat
The HHKBs have those keys. Next to the right shift is an Fn key. Look at the pic closely. I have often said the HHKB keyboards have the most well thought out layout in the industry.

woh what? how do you hold the function key and hit those arrow keys all w/ just your right hand?

if mike is anything like me he ofter holds control+shift+some arrow key... also holding down that function key would be tough.

Co-worker's keyboard
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 November 2007, 22:14:56 »
Quote from: karlito
Quote from: xsphat

woh what? how do you hold the function key and hit those arrow keys all w/ just your right hand?

if mike is anything like me he ofter holds control+shift+some arrow key... also holding down that function key would be tough.

Yeah, looks awkward. The Fn key should have been on the left.

Offline iMav

Co-worker's keyboard
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 November 2007, 22:49:21 »
Personally, it is rare that I ever use the arrow keys.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Co-worker's keyboard
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 December 2007, 01:17:08 »
I use them all the time, and they feel natural to me. I use either my pinky or ring finger on the Fn and my index and middle finger to hit the arrow keys. I even use only my right hand when I select text by using Fn+arrow+shift. That is half the genius of the HHKB. I'm a Mac user, so in the vast majority of apps, Unix shortcuts for movement work, and I am betting that is what iMav uses. I thought it was gonna be weird but when I used the keyboard, it came natural.