Author Topic: [GB] GMK Diner [ENDED]  (Read 12742 times)

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
[GB] GMK Diner [ENDED]
« on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 18:12:38 »
273263-0

EVERYTHING* WILL BE MADE!

* All kits (except for NorDe), all deskmats, cable, both artisans will go into production.

273267-1

You want fries with that?

Inspired by the seemingly-mandatory diners present in most of the shows we watched growing up. Wouldn't it be cool to deck out your keyboard like it was actually part of your favorite 90's sitcom? It would, it would be totally cool. The GMK Diner group buy is now open and serving!

273267-2

Pricing & Vendors

273265-3

US-based? You can pick up the cable directly from Space Cables' website.

273267-4

273269-5

Base, spacebars and modifier novelties on a Mode Eighty.

273271-6

Base, spacebars and modifier novelties on a Mason Sixty.

273273-7

Base, spacebars and modifier novelties on a Boop65.

273275-8

Base and modifier novelties on a RAMA M60a.

273277-9

Base, spacebars and modifier novelties on a RAMA Koyu.

273279-10

Base, spacebars, modifier novelties and macro novelties on a Vulcan Maja.

273267-11

Kitting

Base Kit
A simple yet complete base kit covering your typical 60-100%, including HHKB and Alice layouts. ISO and minimal 40s support included.

273281-12

Modifier Novelties
A variety of novelties for escape, enter, ISO enter, control, win, alt and fn keys.

273283-13

Macro Novelties
4 columns and 5 rows of novelties – yours to mix and match.

273285-14

NorDe

NorDe kit is no longer available since it's not going to meet MOQ.

Spacebars

273289-15

273267-16

Deskmats

273291-17273293-18
273295-19273297-20

273267-21

Collaborations

Artisans by Protozoa
Produced by Protozoa, designed by MVKB, these artisans will add some flavor to any keyboard. There's a R1 1U ketchup bottle, and a R3 2.25U ketchup squirt. Both are aluminum with a white coating, filled in with 3 different colors of resin.

273299-22273301-23
273251-24273253-25

Cable by Space Cables
Space Cables created this absolutely stunning custom cable which is a perfect match for the Diner theme. USB C, 5 feet (1,5m) length, coiled, and topped of with an engraved aviator.

Buy from Space Cables

273255-26273257-27

Mason60 by Brazen
I reached out to Brazen after seeing their stunning Jesmonite boards. The style seemed like a perfect match for Diner. Happy to announce they're running a black and white version of their unique board especially for GMK Diner.

60% keyboard case (PCB not included), Optional wrist rest, removable screw posts and stand offs, silicone O-ring dampeners, optional EVA case foam, beautiful cork bottom.

Buy from Brazen

274199-28274201-29
274203-30274205-31

273267-32

Colors

Left to right: RAL 5007, RAL 5000, RAL 3028 and RAL 1023. 2 decades ago these would've been the brightest colors you can imagine, but the many many years of sitting in a diner had a fading effect on them. Is that grease I smell?

273259-33273261-34

273267-35

273267-36

Signature

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114034][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/z5cDhve.png[/img][/url]
Mod Edit: Added [GB] tag (OP, you can remove this note)
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 September 2021, 09:09:39 by mvkb »

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
Re: GMK Diner [Aug 1 - Sep 1]
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 10:06:35 »
Reserved.

Offline acitrin

• https://acitrin.design/
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 10:07:26 »
Ayy, congrats Tim on another GB! Really excited for this one :)

Offline fruxzak

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 12:44:42 »
This looks like one of those sets that looks cool only in renders :(

Offline drbparsons

Re: [GB] GMK Diner [Aug 1 - Sep 1]
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 06:37:36 »
Instacop. Love, love, love this vibe... only problem is I now want a burger.

GLWTGB!

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 20:10:15 »
Just added a beautiful collaboration by Brazen, the Brazen Mason60 in 2 unique color ways for GMK Diner. Scroll up for more info 🙂

274207-0274209-1
274211-2274213-3

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 August 2021, 08:41:17 »
Just received these gorgeous samples for the Diner artisans by Protozoa. Holy wow these are nice.

274249-0274251-1274253-2

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 00:21:15 »
Some packaging.

274343-0

Offline kidpid

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 12:12:06 »
Any update on current numbers?

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 15:30:55 »
Any update on current numbers?

Some vendors are a bit behind on their reporting, but to be honest we're far from where I wanted to be. Currently reviewing a plan to make this set meet MOQ with the vendors, will report back here when I know more (it's a mix of goodwill on their end and me not making any money off of this set, which is fine as long as people who love the set can buy it).

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 07:04:50 »
Some news: Everything (except the NorDe kit) will be made!! This includes deskmats, artisans and cables. Huge thanks to my amazing vendors for helping out with the kits. I’ll be buying out the novelties myself.

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
Re: [GB] GMK Diner [Ends Sep 1] EVERYTHING* WILL BE MADE
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 10:30:27 »
Just wanted to give a huge shoutout to all the vendors. Without them this set wouldn’t become a reality. They all deserve your business.

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 19:45:09 »
Just wanted to give a huge shoutout to all the vendors. Without them this set wouldn’t become a reality. They all deserve your business.

I am happy for you that your set will be made.

Personally it's not for me.
But I feel with the current GMK queues, and the huge growth this hobby had that if a set needs heavy vendor support to meet its MOQ that maybe it should have not been made.
The current lead time for sets running now is Q1 2023, and clogging the queue with sets that have very low demand isn't really helping.

Your set isn't the only one, there have been quite a few other sets in this same situation recently that got saved by vendors, but personally (and I don't think I am the only one) it just turns me off from buying any GMK sets atm due to the ridiculous lead times.

edit:

I am not "blaming designers" for the GMK queue.
I also did not say this set doesn't deserve to be made based on how it looks, this is purely subjective and I never said that.

All I said was that recently a few sets (including did one from what mvkb said) were pretty far off their MOQ, and only happened due to vendors saving them.
And imo (and I heard some other designer agree with that) a set should be able to reach or at least get close to its MOQ without needing to be "saved", else it just indicates that the demand for it is too low.
What's the point of a MOQ, if vendors will just buy it out anyways?
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2021, 10:07:01 by CookieFlow »

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 19:02:13 »

But I feel with the current GMK queues, and the huge growth this hobby had that if a set needs heavy vendor support to meet its MOQ that maybe it should have not been made.
The current lead time for sets running now is Q1 2023, and clogging the queue with sets that have very low demand isn't really helping.

Your set isn't the only one, there have been quite a few other sets in this same situation recently that got saved by vendors, but personally (and I don't think I am the only one) it just turns me off from buying any GMK sets atm due to the ridiculous lead times.
Your comment hurts on many levels. It’s a hobby that’s heavily preference based, and I worked my ass off making this set a reality. We had to drag it over the finish line and it was worth it, because some people really love it. Sets that are massive commercial successes are perfectly fine, and there’s nothing wrong with a more artful/indie set.

Offline Afresh

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 03:38:56 »

So we are blaming designers for GMK queues? Classy

Offline Dinerenblanc

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 05:42:30 »

Your comment hurts on many levels. It’s a hobby that’s heavily preference based, and I worked my ass off making this set a reality. We had to drag it over the finish line and it was worth it, because some people really love it. Sets that are massive commercial successes are perfectly fine, and there’s nothing wrong with a more artful/indie set.

Sorry about the toxicity. I frankly love your set. I dunno what your background is, but sets that are this cohesive are seldom seen. I can only imagine that you work in design by trade. Regardless, please pay no mind to the fool. You created a set that's truly unique. No, it might not be on trend for people in this hobby, but anyone working in the creative field will agree that this is absolutely beautiful.

« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2021, 06:08:17 by Dinerenblanc »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 12:23:45 »

I don't fully disagree, but this hobby was founded on limited run, small batch, bespoke products which speak to a limited group of enthusiasts. I could also flip your argument on its head and say that the large run, sensationalized sets are clogging up the production line and driving up MOQs which only hurt niche ICs from dedicated and passionate designers. (still a logical fallacy, but just showing how the argument cuts both ways)

Point is, everyone should get equal access to a production window. If anyone is to blame it's GMK for not stepping up to meet demand. If we're not happy with GMK, join SP or Milkyway GBs. Vote with your dollars.

Additional point:

Vendors aren't dumb. If they're "buying out" the GB it's because they see value in the set and are making a long term investment. It's actually pretty smart on their end; they can sell the set 2x price in 18 months when someone sees this GB for the first time and is frothing at the mouth to buy it.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline ectoplasmatic

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 15:03:42 »
Yes. it's a dumb assessment. Vendors aren't charities, albeit some of us are relative amateurs (speaking for ourselves) we still have to make business decisions - 'buying out' MOQ is still a business decision. People are sick and tired of waiting for GMK sets, it's a smart decision if you can take the risk and tie up $ for 12-18 months to then have GMK sets to sell in-stock. That's why vendors do it.

That being said, the amount of graft that MVKB has put into this set inspired us all as well.

Offline Dinerenblanc

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 15:41:37 »
Yes. it's a dumb assessment. Vendors aren't charities, albeit some of us are relative amateurs (speaking for ourselves) we still have to make business decisions - 'buying out' MOQ is still a business decision. People are sick and tired of waiting for GMK sets, it's a smart decision if you can take the risk and tie up $ for 12-18 months to then have GMK sets to sell in-stock. That's why vendors do it.

That being said, the amount of graft that MVKB has put into this set inspired us all as well.

100% agree with this. This set is insanely creative. You WANT designers like them to continue working. Sure this might not be for you, but public consensus seems to be that this is an expertly crafted set. I want this to succeed so they can continue designing sets, and maybe the next one will be for you. Vendors aren't stupid, they too know a good set when they see one

Offline Skok

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 10:26:05 »
What's the point of a MOQ, if vendors will just buy it out anyways?

to meet the minimum order quantity requirement in order for gmk to manufacture it

Offline Kenken

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 05 September 2021, 09:02:29 »
Bought a base set after a second look. This looks good! Look the novel look of this set :D

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
Re: [GB] GMK Diner [ENDED]
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 05 September 2021, 09:13:31 »
GB’s over, vendors are putting in their final sales numbers and extras. This GB was a trip, but in the end I’m excited to see it going into production. ❤️

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 17:48:48 »
[ignore]

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 23 November 2021, 20:05:09 »
Received the first round of color samples from GMK! Took a proper look at them with different lighting, compared them to renders and color swatches I have, and ordered a second round of samples. The red and yellow were pretty close, dark blue kinda close, and light blue was pretty off.

279014-0

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 05 May 2022, 14:05:29 »
Second round of color samples received, and approved!

285927-0285929-1285931-2285923-3285925-4

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 05 May 2022, 14:21:17 »
Those look great. Thank you for sharing!

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 14:39:10 »
Diner's on track for May 2023 (shipping to vendors)!